Old Timey Music for Howard and DC

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Old Timey Music for Howard and DC

Post by DaveInSeattle »

J. Geils was an AWESOME live band. Peter Wolf is a great frontman, and Magic Dick could wail on the harmonica.

Saw them a couple of times....first was at a Day On The Green...July 4th 1979. The line up was Journey, J. Geils, UFO, Thin Lizzy and Nazareth. My first big concert with my buddies (not surprisingly, first time I smoked pot as well).

Second time was in spring of '82, when they were big time due to the success of Freeze Frame. They killed it...played 5 encores, including 2 after the house lights had come on. First time I've ever seen a band run out of songs, and play something they'd played earlier that night.

Oh...and the opener for them? Little band our of Ireland. Named U2. Wonder what ever happened to them.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Some cover

Post by govmentchedda »

DC47 wrote:To my ears, nearly all covers in the rock and pop genre are just pale versions of the original. Not this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLhoLkTyNkM
Fuck me, that's great.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote:J. Geils was an AWESOME live band. Peter Wolf is a great frontman, and Magic Dick could wail on the harmonica.

Saw them a couple of times....first was at a Day On The Green...July 4th 1979. The line up was Journey, J. Geils, UFO, Thin Lizzy and Nazareth. My first big concert with my buddies (not surprisingly, first time I smoked pot as well).

Second time was in spring of '82, when they were big time due to the success of Freeze Frame. They killed it...played 5 encores, including 2 after the house lights had come on. First time I've ever seen a band run out of songs, and play something they'd played earlier that night.

Oh...and the opener for them? Little band our of Ireland. Named U2. Wonder what ever happened to them.
That's awesome. Points for having seen Journey before they permanently nerfed their sound with Escape...(Journey with Greg Rollie is the better band)...

Pretty sure Bruce Springsteen opened for J. Geils Band too - at least around the northeast club tours...
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

EnochRoot wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:J. Geils was an AWESOME live band. Peter Wolf is a great frontman, and Magic Dick could wail on the harmonica.

That's awesome. Points for having seen Journey before they permanently nerfed their sound with Escape...(Journey with Greg Rollie is the better band)...

Pretty sure Bruce Springsteen opened for J. Geils Band too - at least around the northeast club tours...
The first 3 Journey albums, before Steve Perry took over the direction were pretty great. Greg Rollie and Aynsley Dunbar were great.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
EnochRoot wrote:

The first 3 Journey albums, before Steve Perry took over the direction were pretty great. Greg Rollie and Aynsley Dunbar were great.
No argument from me there..though I thought Infinity and Evolution had their moments. It's gotta suck to being relegated to 'extra singer' status after having played freaking Woodstock with Carlos Santana (and Schon)..
Noli Timere Messorem
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Those are some amazing concert experiences. This has got me to thinking about the idea that much of what we become is formed when we are young. In the case of music, it's clear that many of us imprint pretty heavily on what we liked in our teen years and early twenties. And what could driving imprinting more than the powerful experience of our first rock concerts?

It might be interesting to share our lists of the concerts we attended in our early years going to shows. My list, starting in 1972:

- Eagles and Dan Fogelberg -- Brooklyn Academy of Music (Yeah, the Eagles opened.)
- Rolling Stones -- Madison Square Garden (They sad Clapton played the encores, but it was my first time with opiates so I couldn't really tell. Must have been great.)
- Muddy Waters, Charlie Daniels, Allman Brothers -- Roosevelt Stadium, New Jersey
- Grateful Dead -- Roosevelt Stadium, New Jersey
- Patty Smith -- theater in Bridgeport, CT
- Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Marshall Tucker -- theater in Jersey City or thereabouts
- Tom Waits -- southern Ohio
- David Bromberg -- southern Ohio
- Commander Cody (absent the Commander and Andy Stein) -- Sonoma County, CA
- B.B. King -- Santa Rosa Fairgrounds, CA
- No Nukes Benefit (Bonnie Raitt, CSN, Jackson Brown, some others) -- outdoors in San Francisco

That was a great musical run that indelibly defined my tastes. I don't recall seeing even a mediocre show by a 'name' rock band. I went to many jazz, folk and bluegrass concerts during that era. They were more of a mixed bag, though the losers (Miles Davis -- I got to him too late) were vastly outweighed by the winners (Ralph Stanley before he was 'discovered').
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Great thing about having an older brother was that I got to tag along to some amazing shows (as long as I kept my mouth shut about what he and his friends were doing at the shows)

My first concerts (approximately 1974-75)

Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare Tour (with Suzi Quatro!)
The Who (Twice) - Once with opening act Toots and the Maytals
David Bowie
ELO
Supertramp
-All at Maple Leaf Gardens, and all (in my memory) epic events. The Who shows were the greatest. Screamed myself hoarse (and the smoke in the arena didn't help either) and had a buzzing in my ear for a day.

Within a couple of years I was off to see the Clash, Elvis Costello and many, many more. But those early shows had a level of immersive insanity (especially for an 11 year old!) that is almost impossible to convey. My daughter went to see "Despicable Me" when she was 11. At the same age, I was at Alice Cooper with a wasted 14 year old brother and his friends, two of whom were on acid, watching a man in panty hose get beheaded on stage.

Insane.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My early concerts were somewhat limited to who ventured all the way to Grand Junction, Colorado, which isn't close to anything, but is on I-70 so we got the busisgoingwestfromDenverandtheyhaveasmallcollegesowemightaswellplaythere bands.

Starting in 1975:
Foghat/Head East
Charlie Daniels Band
Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Pablo Cruise
REO Speedwagon
Poco
Fleetwood Mac
Commander Cody
ZZ Top
UFO (first Denver show)
Cheap Trick (very early in their career)
Styx/Thin Lizzy
America (got to work that show as part of their backstage road crew, because I knew the promoter and they didn't bring much of a crew)

Then, I got into Colorado State U. and saw too many to mention...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Those are some really great rock pedigrees.

So do tell. How does an 11 year old process being "at Alice Cooper with a wasted 14 year old brother and his friends, two of whom were on acid, watching a man in panty hose get beheaded on stage?" What goes through your mind?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DC47 wrote:Those are some really great rock pedigrees.

So do tell. How does an 11 year old process being "at Alice Cooper with a wasted 14 year old brother and his friends, two of whom were on acid, watching a man in panty hose get beheaded on stage?" What goes through your mind?
I guess having a cool older brother helped me get ready for the show. We watched "The Midnight Special" or "In Concert" when it featured Alice Cooper, so I kind of knew what was coming in terms of the show. He prepped me on some of what to expect. Even had me puff a cigarette inside the arena - that way I couldn't tell my parents that he and his friends were smoking weed.

As I'm sure you remember from your first shows, the volume of the music was amazing. Breathtakingly loud.

Obviously, memories get foggy after so many years, but I wasn't scared by anything I saw, just awestruck. Looked at the people around me to see how I should act - lots of air guitar and arm pumping and yelling!

I don;t remember any crowd trouble, and I have a memory of being called cute and getting my cheek pinched by a girl who must have been 16.

No one from my grade was at the show, so there was no one to really talk about it afterwards. To answer the question, I just absorbed it as being a fantastic spectacle and a few months later, we went to see the Who.

What is amazing to me is the degree of my parents' laissez faire approach to parenting. After spending three hours in that arena, we came home hoarse and stinking like an ashtray (it was really smokey at shows back then). I must have had a contact high going, and my brother was certainly. Who knows? Maybe they were happy to have us out of the house for the night?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

This is pretty cool (the song is fucking excellent.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4HfFwVy-h0
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That is an epic and great song.

And now for something completely different...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P0fpBgzuws
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VsmF9m_Nt8

The song is meant to sound to its intended Italian audience like English spoken with an American accent, but the lyrics are actually pure gibberish, with the exception of the words "all right".[1] Celentano's intention with the song was to explore communications barriers. "Ever since I started singing, I was very influenced by American music and everything Americans did. So at a certain point, because I like American slang—which, for a singer, is much easier to sing than Italian—I thought that I would write a song which would only have as its theme the inability to communicate. And to do this, I had to write a song where the lyrics didn't mean anything."[2]
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Damn, that's great.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote:Damn, that's great.

Really one of the great rock songs of all time.

and just introduced my HS English teacher (who is/was a folky) to Supper's Ready. He's the guy that first got me to LISTEN to music. If he wasn't retired he said he'd teach classes.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

If you don't mind the pace of your song a little slower, and like this song, I implore you to listen to The War on Drugs.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

They have a pretty interesting take on 'Touch of Grey', featured on that 'Day of the Dead' compilation from last year...

I like those guys.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

James McMurtry writes some great lyrics.

This song isn't that old, but the sentiment is about the aging of the generation of the old-timers around here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMEmszc13o
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I popped in to see if any of my queens in here were watching the Eurovision finals.

A rare Jimmy Castor Bunch tune that does not mention Leroy. Their biggest hit, Troglodyte, gives us the theme for this thread:

What we're gonna do right here is go back, way back, back into time

Wonderful version of Sultans. Scorching. But I have a soft spot for this tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMiRGCGIfCg
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

howard wrote:I popped in to see if any of my queens in here were watching the Eurovision finals.
Sadly unavailable up here.

I have had the distinct and distinctly drunken, campy pleasure of seeing two Eurovision finals live on TV in Europe.

It is why weed and white wine spritzers were invented.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

howard wrote:I popped in to see if any of my queens in here were watching the Eurovision finals.

A rare Jimmy Castor Bunch tune that does not mention Leroy. Their biggest hit, Troglodyte, gives us the theme for this thread:

What we're gonna do right here is go back, way back, back into time

Wonderful version of Sultans. Scorching. But I have a soft spot for this tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMiRGCGIfCg
Where have you been?

Did you hear we have a new president?

What's the second best Bob Dylan song?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Jerloma wrote:
What's the second best Bob Dylan song?
"Thin Man' (Here's your throat back, thanks for the loan)

But take into account I think #1 is Hwy 61 (Ol' Howard just pointed with his gun/And said 'That way, down on Hwy 61')

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Those Turtles clips on the last page bring back some fond memories. I was a huge fan for a few weeks in 5th grade, cuz Happy Together and cuz I thought The Turtles was a cool name, (much cooler than Beatles or Monkees). I may even have had a pet turtle at the time. I remember that TV appearance, in part because my dad was annoyed at Volman's dancing around with the French horn. That was the second or third record (45) that I ever bought. Love those other two cuts as well, Elenore and You Showed Me.

You're my pride and joy. Et cetera.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

It's almost Summer in my mind (even though it's 35 degrees out and it snowed yesterday....)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuLnxjVo6bk
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Years ago I had a funk/soul collection CD that stated that TV stations in Nigeria would play this after the Nigerian national anthem when they signed off at the end of their programming.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I actually prefer the Gourds' version of that song to JGB's...I mean, the Gourds' version is several minutes shorter, but yeah, theirs comes across tighter.

Thanks for posting, btw..
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

^ Old & in the Way, not JGB...
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Kick this thing off right...

https://youtu.be/yBE3NQKvspY
Noli Timere Messorem
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Sgt Peppers released in UK 50 years ago today (released in US on 6/1)
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNt5FnMK2sM

Simon is playing Red Rocks. Of course sold out in seconds. Asshole ticket bots.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Gram & Emmylou

Post by DC47 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz67Vc9lUXg

He was gone a few months later.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

On twitter the other day, Graham Parker was joking about how American fans often mistake him for Parsons. (I was guilty of that the first time I heard of Parker.). Graham mentioned he had never heard Gram Parsons; I suggested Greivous Angel, in no small part because of the Emmylou duets.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

This was a lone hit (and not much of a hit) from a pair of songwriters for the Philadelphia sound thing in the 70s. Not a particularly great song, but I liked it at the time (end of college) and associate the tune with some fun memories. And I heard it on the radio this morning. eta: I imagine Karl Weitzen digging this one, looking forward to the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zboJdibmOU

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I love that classic Philly sound!

But somehow this evening while taking a break from writing, I ended up listening to this bluesguy I;d never heard of.

This version of the classic made the hairs on my arms stand up. It is a killer tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7y2Y9g8J4A
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Proof that she can sing anything and make it work

Post by DC47 »