Old Timey Music for Howard and DC

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DC47
Walter Sobchak

Some cover

Post by DC47 »

To my ears, nearly all covers in the rock and pop genre are just pale versions of the original. Not this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLhoLkTyNkM
Rush2112
The Dude

Re: Old Timey Music for Howard and DC

Post by Rush2112 »

Released 44 years ago yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJwUcm0o-GY
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Released 14 years ago last month. Well worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJEZWsnIECo
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Some cover

Post by sancarlos »

DC47 wrote:To my ears, nearly all covers in the rock and pop genre are just pale versions of the original. Not this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLhoLkTyNkM
Rod was pretty good at covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq8qjBV-NDA
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Rod had a distinctive voice and sang with some soul during his early era. I like the McCartney cover above because it seems to me that it's a whole band affair. They all brought it, they weren't just backing The Voice. And while I was never a McCartney fan, he wrote a great song and delivered it very well. So he set a high bar. The Faces sailed right over the top. Only one in a hundred achieve this with a cover.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DC47 wrote:Rod had a distinctive voice and sang with some soul during his early era. I like the McCartney cover above because it seems to me that it's a whole band affair. They all brought it, they weren't just backing The Voice. And while I was never a McCartney fan, he wrote a great song and delivered it very well. So he set a high bar. The Faces sailed right over the top. Only one in a hundred achieve this with a cover.
Ronnie Lane was also an underrated second vocalist. He had a lot of good songs. Did a good album with Pete Townshend, Rough Mix, too.
Last edited by sancarlos on Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Yes to both. And a tragic end. It was great to see him up front on the McCartney cover.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sister Rosetta Tharpe started recording in he 1930s. She could play a mean guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR2gR6SZC2M
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

sancarlos wrote:Sister Rosetta Tharpe started recording in he 1930s. She could play a mean guitar.
Amazing video. Early '60s British tours by American black blues, R&B, and gospel musicians played a major role in the existence of the Stones, Mayall, Clapton and dozens of lesser-known 60's rockers.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Thornton was another hugely influential rock precursor. Wrong complexion to be a sixties rock star.

Janis obviously listened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJlBo5KJ3b

Among so many others, so too a truck-drivin' country boy from Tennessee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMmljYkdr-w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvbSXVc451Q
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

The Turtles first hit the charts in the mid '60s with Dylan covers. Look for "It Ain't Me Babe." They are the vocal anti-Dylans -- and his stuff works in both styles.

They soon hit the charts with a whole lot more than Dylan material. The brilliant pop hit "Happy Together" still gets radio play fifty years later. A few years after they cut that one -- eons the way pop music was evolving in the '60s -- their days as hit makers was done and they put out their last material. Here are two of their fine, under-appreciated songs from that time.

"Elenore" is said to have an undertone of sarcasm, as they were in part responding to their record company's constant demands to produce another "Happy Together." Few have used "etcetera" so well in a lyric. This is one of the few live recordings from this era. Howard Kaylan (typically singing lead) and Mark Volman (harmony) are tremendous singers; they can do it live as well as in the studio. Good enough that they were hired by dozens of later pop hit makers to do their studio vocals. I believe Frank Zappa even hired them to tour with him (as "Flo and Eddie" due to the usual lawsuits following the break-up of 60s pop bands) They shared a certain humorous slant on pop music. But Zappa certainly tolerated no musical slackers in his band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f09itrlXcic

The eerie "You Showed Me" was written by two members of the Byrds (Gene Clark, Roger McGuinn), who recorded it in the legendary 1964 sessions that yielded "Mr. Tambourine Man." But since they had hits with Dylan covers, their record company didn't want the Byrds doing their own material, so their recording only came out after they broke up. This rarely heard Turtles version is brilliant. More live music -- and not just the vocals -- rather than the full-band 'lip synching' that was so typical on TV appearances of that era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vneA658BTJE
Last edited by DC47 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Now this is lip synching a classic hit. The brilliant harmony singer Mark Volman does his usual schtick by holding an instrument -- French Horn -- that he can't play while he mocks the lip synching performance. This performance is subdued. I believe he once played the hedge clippers in a TV performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRCe5L1imxg
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good stuff, DC. I kind of knew some of that stuff about the Turtles/Flo & Eddie, but that was interesting to read.

And, it's amazing all the different interpretations of Dylan. More recently (about 10 years ago), the emo/punk/hard rock band My Chemical Romance did a very hardcore version of Dylan's Desolation Row. Crazy. To your knowledge, has Dylan ever publicly opined on all the various covers of his songs?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I believe he stated something to the effect that Hendrix played Watchtower "as it was meant to be played."

Personally I'm a big fan of Nina Simone's covers of Dylan tunes.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

sancarlos wrote:Good stuff, DC. I kind of knew some of that stuff about the Turtles/Flo & Eddie, but that was interesting to read.

And, it's amazing all the different interpretations of Dylan. More recently (about 10 years ago), the emo/punk/hard rock band My Chemical Romance did a very hardcore version of Dylan's Desolation Row. Crazy. To your knowledge, has Dylan ever publicly opined on all the various covers of his songs?
I'll look for that cover. I like to see songs taken way out of their original genre. Apart from the well-known and potentially false "Watchtower" quote, I can't come up with any thoughts about Dylan on his many coverers. It would seem unlike him to offer a view. A man of mystery. However, there is a story that he was backstage after a Turtles show and complimented them on an original song. He was drunk; the song was actually his.

Another angle on this is that Dylan is legendary for altering his own songs in live performances. Perhaps as an artist he likes to play around with his creations, and not just cater to fan preferences that he play "Positively 4th Street" just like on the record rather than reggae style. So perhaps he finds others playing around with his songs interesting as well.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DC47 wrote:
sancarlos wrote: More recently (about 10 years ago), the emo/punk/hard rock band My Chemical Romance did a very hardcore version of Dylan's Desolation Row.
I'll look for that cover. I like to see songs taken way out of their original genre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOuSxal8pf4
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Not confirmed by either party, but from Charles Cross' biography of Hendrix, Room Full of Mirrors:
One day that fall [Howe] was walking down Eighth Street in New York City with Jimi when they spied a figure on the other side of the road. “Hey, that’s Dylan,” Jimi said excitedly. “I’ve never met him before; let’s go talk to him.” Jimi darted into traffic, yelling “Hey, Bob” as he approached. Deering followed, though he felt uneasy about Jimi’s zeal. “I think Dylan was a little concerned at first, hearing someone shouting his name and racing across the street toward him,” Deering recalled. Once Dylan recognized Jimi, he relaxed. Hendrix’s introduction was modest enough to be comic. “Bob, uh, I’m a singer, you know, called, uh, Jimi Hendrix and…” Dylan said he knew who Jimi was and loved his covers of “All Along the Watchtower” and “Like a Rolling Stone.” “I don’t know if anyone has done my songs better,” Dylan said. Dylan hurried off, but left Jimi beaming. “Jimi was on cloud nine,” Deering said, “if only because Bob Dylan knew who he was. It seemed very clear to me that the two had never met before.”
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

...Of all the versions of my recorded songs, the Johnny Rivers one was my favorite, it was obvious that we were from the same side of town, had been read the same citations, came from the same musical family and were cut from the same cloth. When I listened to John's version of "Positively 4th Street," I liked his version better. I listened to it over and over again. Most of the cover versions of my songs seem to take them out into left field somewhere, but Rivers' version had the mandate down...... When I heard John sing my song, it was obvious that life had the same external grip on him as it did on me (Bob Dylan- Chronicles, vol. one pag.72 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGAWwK9unlQ
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I like the MCR and Rivers covers of Dylan. Not as much as I like the original, but that's my usual response. Though I think the Byrds did really exceptional Dylan. It's not a competition though. A strong cover unveils more of the song. If it's a good one, that's always a good thing. This is the obvious nature of things to jazz musicians. Even their originals have often actually been covers, with a few changes made to allow them to claim royalties (which were too small to contest).
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Johnny Rivers

Post by DC47 »

I've never gotten over my early love for Johnny Rivers. He was considered less than cool by the people I ran with in the 70s. A cover artist, thus not a real "artist" like Dylan or Young or Lennon or Joni Mitchell. Worse, he was a white man who often sang songs made famous by black soul singers. Prone to some cheesy arrangements on studio albums. Every album seemingly cut "Live at the Whiskey A Go-Go." Not the model singer-songwriter, not a musician with stunning instrumental proficiency or a distinctive voice.

Not a lot there to recommend Johnny Rivers.

But did he ever have world-class pop music taste! He covered great songs in multiple genres. Most of the arrangements were interesting. He hired great side men to play with him, largely from the pool of killer studio guys in LA in the 60s. Rivers had great ears. No surprise that Rivers later moved over to the management side of the music industry, with considerable success.

Here's one from his infinite series of "At the Whiskey" recordings. It's a great soul song. Written by Percy Sledge and two band members at Muscle Shoals. Check out the fine organ work. Possibly LA session man Larry Knechtel, who often played with Rivers and laid down a gazillion tasteful keyboard lines on recordings in the 60s and 70s, without ever gaining real visibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U49VA5lJZT8
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I mis-spent a week or so of my young life trying to master the guitar licks in this one. And to Rivers' credit, this is not even a cover. Written by the great 60s writing duo Barri and Sloan, it was originally a TV intro bit -- I believe just a short instrumental -- which was then expanded into a complete song. And what a riff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvY3kRWuyIM

The video below indicates that I have now officially seen everything. And man, if I had seen this in 1975 I would have worshiped this girl as a guitar goddess, who could do what I could not come close to touching with this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL3ppPVnOMI

Standing, er, sitting in her shadow is the legendary Nokie Edwards, without the hat, of the even more legendary Ventures.
Last edited by DC47 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Link to the music doesn't work!
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

My favorite Rivers tune. And this one he actually wrote. This song captured my primary romantic fantasy of the '70s. Everytime I brought out the guitar, this one got sung. Still does, though I don't open the case that much any more.

I couldn't find a good live version of Rivers doing this song from back in the '60s when he cut it. Laden with strings and flutes and such, but still a folk, soul classic of the time in my view. I appreciated the song underneath the arrangement. Lo and behold, the internet has yielded the song that I heard in my mind. Remarkably, Johnny Rivers -- who might be in his 70s here -- did a brilliant live performance with Marty Stuart and his band, that captures the power of this tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n4-GU3VqDs
Last edited by DC47 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Here's the original version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Lh9faqFhU
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Whither Bob Seger's catalog

I knew his stuff wasn't available on streaming services, but I wasn't aware that he/his management had let so many of his albums fall out of print and essentially disappear from the market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlwXVjsPvuA
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote:Whither Bob Seger's catalog

I knew his stuff wasn't available on streaming services, but I wasn't aware that he/his management had let so many of his albums fall out of print and essentially disappear from the market.
Interesting article. I've got Live Bullet on digital if you want a copy.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

rass wrote:Whither Bob Seger's catalog

Nice performance of a wonderful tune. It's amazing what some old Woody Guthrie notebook pages could generate in brilliant hands. And Seger could always get it done on stage, even if his strength -- in my view -- was his songs.

Bob Seger is something of a local. My daughter played music at the high school where he had his first band. My wife taught one of the Silver Bullet Band members when he sought a career outside of music. Punch Andrews is an acquaintance. I know the location of the bar on Main Street (not on Main Street). And of course, I've wondered about exactly which cornfield it was.

But while I like a lot of Seger's work, I was never a big fan beyond the hits. Perhaps that leads me to wonder about a few things that seem to ground the author's argument.

First, the comparison to Springsteen. Was Seger ever really in his league? Did he ever come close to connecting with the public in that way? I am not a major Springsteen fan either, but I'd say it wasn't really close. So contrasting Springsteen's staying power with Seger's seems odd. Further, Springsteen continued to put out high-level original material well after Seger's production dropped to sporadic. I'm sure comparing their touring records would indicate another enormous disparity in the past 15 years or so. So Seger being out-paced by Springsteen in terms of current record sales and catalog availability -- how can this be a surprise? Is it really just management dithering?

Second, the author dismisses Seger's dismissal of many of his early songs. From my point of view, Seger is right. He had a dozen or so good ones, and the rest -- hundreds -- are pretty mediocre. Seger is simply more honest about what is true for virtually all pop stars. Here again, though I'm not a fan, I'd say there are far more Springsteen cuts that are at least pretty good. This difference in quality is likely a core reason why Seger fell behind in this comparison.

Finally, I wonder if Seger is one of the few who really understands his own life. By all accounts he's a happy father and husband, who records whatever and whenever he wants to and tours as much as he feels like (which for most sane people would be rarely). Andrews may be serving him well. Perhaps Seger is less driven than some of his peers. Perhaps it's because he's more grounded in and satisfied by his everyday roles in his mundane life. I'll have to ask him about this next time him and Jim (Iggy to you) and me get together for beers.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Seger's former drummer, and my wife's former student, performs here. Before his tragic accident, you could hear him on Live Bullet drumming up a storm and doing the answering vocals to Seger's lead on a song or two.

Still a rocker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEreosg3EFo
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DC47 wrote:Finally, I wonder if Seger is one of the few who really understands his own life. By all accounts he's a happy father and husband, who records whatever and whenever he wants to and tours as much as he feels like (which for most sane people would be rarely). Andrews may be serving him well. Perhaps Seger is less driven than some of his peers. Perhaps it's because he's more grounded in and satisfied by his everyday roles in his mundane life.
The author at least threw that out as a possibility, and it was probably better for him not to speculate too much on it given that Seger didn't make himself available for comment. As a fan (and former "content executive") he seemed to be exploring whether there is a sweet spot where Seger can maintain control of his legacy but give his fans better access to it, too.

I really just thought it was an interesting case, given the way the music industry has changed in the last 10 years and that there are very few (if any) other artists of his commercial status who have resisted the tide the way he has.
DC47 wrote:I'll have to ask him about this next time him and Jim (Iggy to you) and me get together for beers.
Nice.

I had a fucking tan (canvas?) Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band hat (holy shit internet I think this might be the one!!!) when I was in 5th/6th grade ('86/'87-ish). I was proud of that hat.

Favorite Seger song (California again):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1-3M9nzg7U
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DC47 wrote:I'll have to ask him about this next time him and Jim (Iggy to you) and me get together for beers.
I missed this the first time I read that post. hat tip to Rass for highlighting it.

So, I'm guessing you're telling us you know Iggy Pop? I knew he is from Michigan. Way cool.

A bit upthread we discussed covers that are done quite differently than originals. So, with that in mind and Iggy in mind, here is I Wanna be Your Dog, first by the Stooges (Iggy), and then covered by Uncle Tupelo (Jeff Tweedy, now of Wilco, on lead vocal).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjDLc-8tW2I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWn5B1FE3fU
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Always liked Seger, I dig lots of his songs, hits and obscure.

Iggy is simply the best. So very far ahead of his time, and 45 years later, is still fucking doing it. The two cuts from his latest album, released two weeks ago, are solid. Let me go buy that right now and listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WWHdBuOC6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDNzQ3CXspU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgMaAyY8TzI
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

This has always been my favourite Iggy Pop song.

And in looking for it, I just learned that the backing vocals are by Bowie and Jim Kerr from Simple Minds.

From Rolling Stone:
While Iggy was recording Soldier at Rockford Studios in rural Wales, he and Bowie decided they needed a bloke-y chorus to sing "I want to be a criminal/Play it safe" in the style of a football chant. At the same time, a fledgling Scottish New Wave group was also recording at Rockford, which is how Simple Minds got to guest on an Iggy Pop track. "In his diplomatic way, Bowie said, 'Why don't the people who sing professionally step nearer the microphone, and those who don't step well back?" Simple Minds lead singer Jim Kerr later told Mojo. "That's how I came to find myself sandwiched between David Bowie and Iggy Pop, singing that song." Speaking of sandwiches, the sessions also completely upended Kerr's expectations regarding Bowie's diet: "I remember David Bowie eating a lot of cheese and thinking, I didn't think David Bowie would be a cheese-eating guy."
Splish Splash I was Jim Jones!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XORzryeINXE
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

sancarlos wrote:
I missed this the first time I read that post. hat tip to Rass for highlighting it.

So, I'm guessing you're telling us you know Iggy Pop? I knew he is from Michigan. Way cool.
My cool quotient would be much higher if I knew Iggy. I also don't know Seger. Drinking together was a joke; I merely know where they grew up here, and Iggy's real name.

I have friends in common with Punch Andrews, and speaking of the Stooges, also the Asheton brothers. Charlie Allen Martin, as above. Unlike the stars, these guys stuck around, so paths crossed.

But the person that I really wanted to know was the black-haired girl who was in Bob's '60 Chevy. No doubt I met her at a party in the 1982, but this connection never came up. Fate steered me in another direction.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Stephen Malkmus covering Can's "One More Night"

I could shag to this.

https://youtu.be/Loju93Ep57c?t=43s
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Rest in peace, John Warren Geils, Jr.

This is the first live LP I ever purchased. I was probably 10 years old. I kept hearing "Must of Got Lost" on AOR stations where I lived in CT (golden age of AOR music - Glastonbury had no less than 4 crystal clear stations pumping in music (WHCN, WCCC, WAQY, WPLR)...

Anyway...

Damn this is good stuff.

https://youtu.be/3bDlvQD3S3k
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I have that album. Peter Wolf was a great frontman - his patter before Musta Got Lost on that album is hilarious. He is still going too, heard him just yesterday, interviewed on Sirius radio's Underground Garage.

RIP J. Geils. Funny that his name was out front, but he was not a showman himself.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote:I have that album. Peter Wolf was a great frontman - his patter before Musta Got Lost on that album is hilarious. He is still going too, heard him just yesterday, interviewed on Sirius radio's Underground Garage.

RIP J. Geils. Funny that his name was out front, but he was not a showman himself.
I saw him at the Lock-n Music Festival last August in VA. Holy shit was it hot that weekend. He brought it hard. Dude's in good shape and he busted a move like he did 40 years ago.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »