Old Timey Music for Howard and DC

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DC47
Walter Sobchak

Re: Old Timey Music for Howard and DC

Post by DC47 »

sancarlos wrote:I know it's a minority view, but if we're talking Gram-influenced Stones tunes, I much prefer Dead Flowers.
High on my list as well. Versions that lack Mick Taylor, not so much.

That clip from the 1972 tour certainly triggers some memories. I saw the Stones at Madison Square Garden around then, most likely in 1975. Could have been earlier, but I'm pretty sure it was after Mick Taylor left and Ronnie Wood arrived. And I recall smoking opium for the first time at the Stones concert, so definitely not '72 when I was but a lad. I don't think the Stones played this song when I saw them. To my surprise, Billy Preston was playing organ. My companions claimed that Eric Clapton came out for an encore. But I was on the floor at the time -- it would have taken something far more important than Clapton for me to get up -- so I couldn't verify that visually.

Must have been a great concert. I'd like to see video evidence as my memories are seriously faded. Though I recall being disappointed that Taylor was absent. He was the centerpiece on the Stones albums that I loved -- Exile and SF. And I vaguely recall thinking the sound wasn't that good. I wasn't used to seeing rock concerts in -- for the time -- big, cavernous venues like MSG.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

howard wrote:Dead Flowers is way way up on my list. And that was decades before it appeared in The Big Lebowski. Making bets on Kentucky Derby day.
Yeah, me too. as I've noted before, even though I was a hard rocker in my youth, I grew up in an environment where country music was predominant. So, when I got a bit older and more open minded, I really took to songs where rockers were taking country influences - even if they weren't new songs at that time.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

DC47 wrote:it would have taken something far more important than Clapton for me to get up.
Fucking opium, man. Good thing I had limited access to it, and only used it three or four times. Best drug evah.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

For me it's hard to say. I've responded very well to just about every drug I've used. Which is about every one that existed up to, say, 1982.

Perhaps a saving grace is that I was a bit needle phobic.

But another was a clear awareness of how good drugs made me feel. And it wasn't just 'good' -- it was how interesting each of them were in their own ways.

I once worked with a guy who was said to grew poppies up in the hills (yes of course, northern California). I made it a point to not get to know him better. Of all the drugs I knew of, it seemed to me that opium (not opiates, but the real stuff) was the one that would have the most potential for life-altering long-term use. It seemed to me that it was affordable, didn't quickly ruin your mind or body, and was potentially a controllable addiction. If it even was that. And the high was a good high. You could orient your life to opium, and it could work.

But I knew I might be wrong. I can't think of any substance that powerful where this kind of thinking -- and didn't all the heavy users start out thinking this way? -- was anything but massively self-deceptive and the first step to ruin. My father was an alcoholic, and I certainly knew many talented people who were in the process of falling off the face of the earth in some way due to drugs (though not opium specifically). And the life before me seemed to be interesting enough without using a lot of drugs. So I passed. In the past 30 years my drug use averages to about a beer or two a week, with a handful of relatively modest exceptions. All my opiates have been medical.

But yeah, opium. I have a far better memory of what that was like one night in 1975 than I do of merely hearing Eric Clapton jamming with the Stones near their peak. Ironically, on that night I imagine that at least Eric and Keith would have whole-heartedly agreed as to the relative significance of opium and their own musical performance.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

DC47 wrote:Perhaps a saving grace is that I was a bit needle phobic.
Back then in my yute, I was too. But my medical career desensitized that bit of self-preservation away.

But, opium is to be smoked. Amend the above: smoked opium is the best drug evah!

To bring this back to the Stones. Opium (and opiates) do no end organ damage, unlike virtually every other drug of abuse. (Chronic opiate use does alter brain chemistry and neuronal network structures, in ways we are just now beginning to unveil.) Of course, acute overdose and death occurs, but I'm talking about if you avoid that.

Opiates don't hurt the heart, liver, lungs, blood vessels, or anything. Opiate addicts (heroin primarily) die from the associated lifestyle, crime and dirty needles. Most of that lifestyle is keyed to getting the money to get the drugs, and with impurities in the drug or in the dirty needles.

If you have access to lots of money and reliable clean supplies, you can live a long time despite horrific addiction. Hence, Keith.

(Jerry died of a heart attack, because of his obesity and type 2 diabetes his heart could not withstand the stress acute heroin withdrawal. Jerry did not die from heroin; he died from lack of heroin.) (Yeah, I look at these things weird; but I got science to back me up.)

And, to bring it back to country-tinged rock, my man Graham Parker did a country record ten years ago. Most were original compositions for that record, but he did one cover.

(ETA note: below is a live cut. The album is called 'Your Country'; only one cut is on the youtube but it is availble on spotify and elsewhere. http://lyrics.wikia.com/Graham_Parker:Y ... %282004%29

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

howard wrote:
DC47 wrote:Perhaps a saving grace is that I was a bit needle phobic.
Back then in my yute, I was too. But my medical career desensitized that bit of self-preservation away.
Being poked so often in recent years on the client side has done the same for me. I just roll up the sleeves and look the other way.
But, opium is to be smoked. Amend the above: smoked opium is the best drug evah!
It's long puzzled me as to why this was not one of the most popular drug options in the USA. Opium production is massive globally, and distribution seems to be no problem. American's find smoking various substances more and more congenial, as long as it's in private. The fundamentals are there. Why has opium smoking not at minimum become a hipster fad?
To bring this back to the Stones. [snip]If you have access to lots of money and reliable clean supplies, you can live a long time despite horrific addiction. Hence, Keith.
Personally, it's a very good thing for me that Keith's example of long-term drug success did not exist in 1978. He is a one-man, hyper-compelling marketing campaign.
(Jerry died of a heart attack, because of his obesity and type 2 diabetes his heart could not withstand the stress acute heroin withdrawal. Jerry did not die from heroin; he died from lack of heroin.) (Yeah, I look at these things weird; but I got science to back me up.)
Everybody I knew from the California days thought the same at the time he died. His health had been wrecked for a long time. Until the other stuff -- which comes to so many of us simply with age and not living right -- caught up with him, he was able to be very productive for many years despite being a serious junkie, on top of the acid, coke, pot, and cigs. I don't recall if he was said to be a heavy drinker too. But moderation was not his thing, and he thrived until more mundane medical problems overtook him. That, and the Dead sucked so massively for such a long time after the early 70s that his spirit was no doubt sapped of vitality.

That's a nice cover of a good song. I get the impression that covers are not generally Parker's thing. What moved him to cover this particular song?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

DC47 wrote:That's a nice cover of a good song. I get the impression that covers are not generally Parker's thing. What moved him to cover this particular song?
GP does a few covers here and there, and over a long career they probably number about 10 or so, but he has recorded well over 200 original tunes. He fancies himself as a soul singer, so he covered a Jackson 5ive tune, a Sam Cooke, an Ann Peebles, a Tramps, a Rod Stewart, scattered here and there. But most of his albums do not have even a single cover.

When he was 21, the South London lad spent some time traveling, working odd jobs, and busking, in Paris, Gibraltar, and Morrocco. Sugaree was a current tune that he learned and played in his busking days, just cause he liked it. Three decades later when he did this country album, he recalled the tune, swingned and twangged it up a bit just cause he thought it fit.

Back when he played it on the streets of Tangiers, he misheard one lyric, and he skipped a verse. When he made the album 30 years later, he didn't bother to check the original version, just played it from memory. Those errors are incorporated in his cover; it wasn't pointed out to him until well after the record was pressed and issued. He said 'fuck it' and performs it live, errors and all. And tells the audience, "if you're expecting four verses, you're gonna be disappointed."

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Nice back story. Man, busking in Tangiers. Probably crashed at night on William Burroughs' front steps. Somehow I don't think many contemporary musicians follow this career path.

And of course, re: Sugaree, that's the folk process.

Soul singer, eh? I think most would say he sang out of necessity -- the economics of hiring someone to front your band don't work out for many. But I like his voice. Character adds something. A voice has to be very pretty indeed for me to like just a pretty voice.

I don't recall much of Parker's work. Perhaps I'll listen to some in coming weeks, on your recommendation. But one that I do recall is the touching little ditty "Mr. Tender." That's a fine one. What albums or songs do you recommend I start with?

I'm becoming a mild fan of Nick Lowe, as I have an 80s Anglophile friend who's off his head for him and so I go to shows. I hear some Parker in Lowe and vice versa. Did they know each other back in their English days?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DC and Howard, I've enjoyed your discussion, here. I've never smoked opium and I've never injected. But I've known guys who could tell the stories.

Interesting about JG dying from lack of the H. I didn't know that one.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

And, Howard, I'm proud to say that I may be the only swamper besides you who has seen The Parkerilla, live. I saw him at the Warfield, playing in a revue of several name folks, led by one of my favorites, Dave Edmunds.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

DC47 wrote: But one that I do recall is the touching little ditty "Mr. Tender." That's a fine one

Wow, that is a deep cut. I don't even know the words to that one, I've probably only heard it three or four times. This is in contrast to about 70% of his catalogue, I could sing every word and play (badly) the bass or rhythm line
DC47 wrote:I'm becoming a mild fan of Nick Lowe, as I have an 80s Anglophile friend who's off his head for him and so I go to shows. I hear some Parker in Lowe and vice versa. Did they know each other back in their English days?

Oh yes, they are connected. Nick played in a band called Brinsley Schwartz, named after the lead guitarist. Schwartz and Bob Andrews were the core of The Rumour who backed GP in the glory days, and in the reunion period two years ago. Schwartz and Parker are playing about a dozen dates in England next month as a duo. And Lowe produced the first two GP and the Rumour albums, Howling Wind and Heat Treatment. Lowe did a couple of tunes penned by GP, Crawling From The Wreckage and Back to Schooldays.

The five studio albums by GP & The Rumour are very different from so many later records that are just GP, a guitar and a microphone. And he also has plenty of later records with a rock and roll band backing him. His stuff is varied, yet all distinctly him.

I don't think you can go wrong with random exploration. I tend toward the rocking stuff, and my favs list tends that way, but the singer-songwriter stuff is just wonderful. The album that Mr. Tender comes from, Burning Questions, GP says is his favorite; yet I rarely listen to it.

Anyway, Squeezing Out Sparks is considered the masterpiece GP&tR album; Passion Is No Ordinary Word the masterpiece cut, although if you heard Discovering Japan blasting onto the streets of Isla Vista in 1979, that meant the party at Howard's has begun; and You Can't Be To Strong is his most famous singer-songwriter cut of them all. Best abortion song evah.

An album called Acid Bubblegum (1996) has a nice range of styles of songs; a live album from the same period, The Last Rock and Roll Tour includes a wider range. Obsessed with Arethra is a cut I particularly love; as well Sharpening Axes and Impenetrable also great tunes, and all three tunes are on the studio and the live albums listed above.

Deepcut To Nowhere (2001) is another wonderful album; I'll Never Play Jacksonville Again a wonderful rocker chronicling the end of the line for an aged rock singer.

Another Gray Area (1982) and Mona Lisa's Sister (1988) are also wonderful albums.

Many songs he does on records with a full band, large or small, he does all alone on stage as well. Even a rocker like Crawling From the Wreckage. He has two live albums of just him, Live! Alone in America (1989) and Live Alone! Discovering Japan (1993) that highlight the man with a mic and guitar.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

sancarlos wrote:And, Howard, I'm proud to say that I may be the only swamper besides you who has seen The Parkerilla, live. I saw him at the Warfield, playing in a revue of several name folks, led by one of my favorites, Dave Edmunds.
I have not seen Dave Edmunds enough times in my life, probably about five or six shows. A great show I saw about ten years ago featured Parker backed by The Figgs, Edmunds, and Southside Johnny. At Convention Hall in Asbury Park. I met Parker's wife and daughter at that show, but I had yet to meet the man himself.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

One note, for anyone exploring GP. The bass player for The Rumour, Andrew Bodnar, is wonderful and has a unique style. He appears on many other Parker albums and tours. Here is a show from 1988, eight years after The Rumour broke up, but Bodnar and Schwartz back Parker: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And, there is one bass line that Bodnar created that I am sure everyone of a certain age will recognize. He was backing another bloke from London who made a splash in the late 70s. I daresay, an iconic bass line: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Somebody say "Dave Edmunds?"

Here he is with Rockpile covering an Elvis Costello tune.

Nice!

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

When I was in middle school, there was a radio song that I just loved, because it sounded like nothing else on pop radio. Nearly a decade later, when Repeat When Necessary hit, I thought this Dave Edmunds guy is great, I've never heard of him before. Then someone pointed out he had done that 1970 hit I dug so much. I think it is still my fave, with about a dozen other Edmunds/Lowe tunes close behind tied for second.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt and Howard, those are two nice tunes. I saw DE a few times live and he never played I Hear You Knocking. I wish Rockpile would reform. Did you know that after Rockpile broke up Terry Williams became the drummer for Dire Straits? And, Billy Bremner did a short stint in the Pretenders?

Another thing I liked about Dave and Nick was how they straddled rock genres. Of course Rockpile was prominent among the so-called "pub rock" bands, such as GP and the Rumour, the Motors, and Ducks Deluxe. Then again, DE recorded on Led Zeppelin's SwanSong Record label, and Rockpile backed Robert Plant at a concert or two, right after he left Zeppelin. On the other hand, Dave and Nick were known for producing and mentoring some young punky/new wave bands that many in the old guard hated. Such as the Stray Cats, the Damned, and Elvis Costello, among others.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

So as to not hijack the images thread, Andy Summer's (of the Police) first band:

and he was a member of The Soft Machine (the other band to come out of the British IT/UFO psych era besides Pink Floyd) and The Animals.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I had to google the term 'IT'. International Times underground magazine?

This article was interesting, a brief overview of that scene: http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/maga ... lic-london" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've grown up hearing the history of the SF scene, which I was too young to see for myself until after it was over (got my drivers license in '73.) I don't know the story of the London scene, beyond Mods/Rockers and Carnaby Street.

And I did not know Summers was in Soft Machine. I love that descriptive term so much, from Burroughs. You know, Dallas…got a soft machine.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I've been immersing myself in the late sixties psych for the past year or so.

Just finished reading a book put out by the R&R Hall of Fame that alternated between the SF and London scenes, pretty fascinating.

Amazing that a lot of that psychedelic scene in London basically came out of various ventures from the folks that started the Indica Bookshop, this includes the International Times and the various clubs (also was where Lennon met Ono for the first time.)
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

and because of the rabbit hole...

Soft Machine's first

Seeing this with Barrett era Floyd must have been mind expanding, indeed.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Rush, I'm enjoying the PERRO cuts you put up here a couple weeks ago. When these people were cutting the albums that got released under their individual and band names, they were (in)famously free, compared to their peers, from the tight restrictions of the commercial music business. So they did some strange stuff and managed to get it released. But these tapes show how much farther out of the box they could get when they really had no restrictions. I had no idea. Interesting stuff.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DC, have you ever seen Festival Express?

The on the train jams are fantastic (it follows a music festival across Canada.)
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Yeah. Great stuff. It's amazing to me that a collection of what I consider to be great talent could be all in one place, doing such a loose, casual tour. It was possible just for a brief time. How lucky were those who got to be part of it.

I remember a lot of great moments in this movie. Big things and small. Janis ripping it up with her last band (who were largely Canadian session musicians). The Dead playing with just one drummer, and Pigpen. And then the unusual juxtaposition of the older Canadian folkies Ian and Sylvia (I was a fan) jamming with them, and others from the west coast rock scene. Tremendous jams on the train, presumably with more drugs than sleep. Buddy Guy taking a forklift off-stage to do his Guitar Slim in a Chicago club thing where he takes his very long guitar cord into the crowd to solo -- but this time he's stopped by a crowd control fence.

To be fair, though the train was loaded with stars whose music has held up, there were a few minutes here and there of clinkers from bands that have disappeared from view, with no great loss. And Sha Na Na -- purveyers of 50s cornball rock from Columbia University, and ironically perhaps the biggest group of junkies on this drug-laden train. The train jam scenes were sloppy and rough; these were wasted hippies, not performing for an audience.

But that's what any real scene is about. Nothing this organic is going to be only big moments.

Makes you wish that there had been cameras on 24/7. I would have loved to see more train jams. But of course, that would have changed the scene.
Last edited by DC47 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Indeed. You wonder what went on when they weren't filming, or what was left out due for legal or other reasons.

I love when they buy that town in the prairies out of liquor.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

DC47 wrote:Janis…
Best white blues singer evah.
DC47 wrote:Pigpen…
Second best white blues singer evah.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Rush2112 wrote:Indeed. You wonder what went on when they weren't filming, or what was left out due for legal or other reasons.
As I recall, this film footage was found decades after the event, in someone's garage. Whoever put the film together no doubt had to promise to produce something with at least modest commercial potential in order to get funding. So I think they had to focus on the 'stars in concert' scenes, with just enough of the train and post-hoc interviews to put them in context. Hence a big focus on Janis, The Band, and the Dead.

I have a vague memory that the great psychedelic steel guitar player Buddy Cage was in this movie. I was a big fan. I believe NRPS was on the bill of this rolling event but don't recall them in the movie footage. Cage might have been in some jams though. Leslie West was, but his band didn't show up in the film.

I think the shots of wasted, sleep-deprived hippies noodling around on a train would have far less general appeal than the concert scenes. Personally, I'd like to see that stuff, because I've heard a million hours of these bands on their better behavior, on stage and in the studio.
I love when they buy that town in the prairies out of liquor.
I remember that scene. That place didn't know what was coming through the door, that's for sure.

I was once on a long raft trip down the Green River where we started out in a couple vans from a small town in Utah. You couldn't buy liquor there. We got over the state line in Colorado, just before the put in location, and piled out one morning at a liquor store in a very small town. Cases of liquor were toted out of that place. I suspect this was not usual, given the location just over the line.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

My recollection is that it wasn't released because they organizer (?) or someone owed money to certain rights holders and those rights holders wouldn't release the film without money. Not exactly sure what the arrangement was, but it was a money issue of some sort.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I suppose 30 years or so of failure to settle up ight have reduced the value of everyones' claims to nil. We're lucky that the footage survived all that can happen in that long a time. It wouldn't have been considered particularly precious back then, either as capturing a valuable artistic event or especially as a commercial film. No one was making money with concert footage. I think it may be that the Woodstock video rights changed hands for a nominal sum. That event was the year before this one.

Lot of significant concert footage from the 60s and early 70s eventually came out. But most of it took a long time, and great struggle to make it happen. It's ironic that much lesser musicians can now semi-professionally produce concert footage and get it up on the internet in a few weeks. The barriers have crashed, so we're awash in garbage. Imagine if the technology of today was available back then. We'd have hundreds of hours of Janis video footage, starting right from her beginnings as a commercial musician. Probably millions of hours of Dead footage, given what we've seen of their seemingly infinite audio recordings. Somebody is probably taping Jerry Garcia in a jam right at this moment, wherever he is.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I'd settle for hundreds of hours of Otis Redding footage. Ok, and Gram Parsons, And Lowell George.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

You guys remember this album?

I just heard Gregg's cover of Jackson Browne's These Days on the radio. So I pulled this out; what a wonderful set of music, blurring several genres, with a lot of production but ultimately just the right amount. Queen of Hearts coincided to the beginning of my phase of listening to jazz. You don't get any more Gregg Allman than Midnight Rider. I had forgotten how much I loved this album back 40 years ago.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

For post 2113

DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Perhaps it's just me. But it appears to me to be a sacrilege, a serious violation of the spirit of "Old Timey Music," too see a video clip of Rush (the band) underneath one that represents all the pure and holy about this category of sound.

Though I suppose by now this track is old, the employs time, and is technically music. So, carry on, I guess.

Did I mention it blows?
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

oh DC...you hurt me....
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Yes to Gregg Allman's Laid Back. I was one who thought the Allman Brothers were all about Duane, and secondarily about Dicky. This album blew away that thinking. Midnight Rider is almost at the Melissa level. These Days was a revelation. It was only years later that I learned that Gregg was an old pal of Jackson Browne from their days as struggling musicians in LA.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

MaxWebster wrote:oh DC...you hurt me....
We all have our weaknesses. In my youth, I surreptitiously listened to The Grass Roots, and even tapped my foot. Oh man, dig that bass line!

MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

:)

i kid, i kid. musical tastes, man!. I get that a lot of what i like is probably hated by a lot of people. Me, i cannot understand The Dead in any way - i won't say it's terrible, i just don't like any of it. different strokes - that's what makes it all interesting to me though.

i love this thread, mostly as a lurker. i'll add a little something here - i was born in '69 and got into music very very young; actually helped teach myself to read by age 2 by obsessing over the liner notes of dad's records, and 3 in particular: Bridge over Troubled Water (S&G), Jesus Christ Superstar (the one where Ian Gillan is Jesus - he f'n wailed. also, the liner notes/lyric book was like crack to a little kid), and my favourite - still one of my ~3 favourite records ever: Elton John's Tumbleweed Connection. No hits on this one and i suppose the first "concept" record for me (Tommy would soon follow!). Hard to pick one cut but this was one I always loved:

DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Yes, all taste. I was playing with the general tone that has pervaded this topic. Not exactly "Rush friendly". Band, not person.

You are more advanced than me. I'm older, but also dug deep from the three records you mentioned. That included JC, which wasn't cool in my setting. But I had only recently abandoned my deep Catholic upbringing, those were great tunes, and what the fuck -- the lead singer of Deep Purple was Christ! If Ritchie or Jon had shown up as one of the apostles, I'd probably still be in The Church.

That is an awesome cut from Tumbleweed. I haven't heard it for years. Why is it that 'a blue canoe' is never discussed as a drug reference in rock music? Or is this all about dying in combat? Both were equally germane circa to this teen in 1970. I know that when I invent an awesome psychedelic this is the brand name I'm using.
Last edited by DC47 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Also, while The Grass Roots were pretty far on the Monkees end of the rock scale, that was truly a killer bass line. Without the bass, it's not much. Just not played by anyone in the band on the stage. Quite likely by Carol Kaye or another of the Wrecking Crew. Just as with the Monkees, and prior to them the early Byrds and Beach Boys.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

ah, Rush the person is ok i guess. :P

heh i never got into JCS for the religion (we were barely Catholic and that didn't last) - the story was weird and fun to me and the music creepy as hell. I do remember being "older" (what, 4?) and hearing Smoke On the Water all over the radio and thinking "hey, that sounds like Jesus!"

Tumbleweed is amazing work - i'd never thought about the lyrics before, hm! Blue Canoe also should have been a band name - dammit.
DC47 wrote:Yes, all taste. I was playing with the general tone that has pervaded this topic. Not exactly "Rush friendly". Band, not person.

You are more advanced than me. I'm older, but also dug deep from the three records you mentioned. That included JC, which wasn't cool in my setting. But I had only recently abandoned my deep Catholic upbringing, those were great tunes, and what the fuck -- the lead singer of Deep Purple was Christ! If Ritchie or Jon had shown up as one of the apostles, I'd probably still be in The Church.

That is an awesome cut from Tumbleweed. I haven't heard it for years. Why is it that 'a blue canoe' is never discussed as a drug reference in rock music? Or is this all about dying in combat? Both were equally germane circa to this teen in 1970. I know that when I invent an awesome psychedelic this is the brand name I'm using.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I listen to Tumbleweed and Madman Across the Water all the time.

Living
Like a lusty flower
Running through the grass for hours
Rolling, rolling through the hay
Like a puppy child

(Attica! Attica! Attica!)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…