Old Timey Music for Howard and DC

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

howard
Karl Hungus

Re: Old Timey Music for Howard and DC

Post by howard »

According to songfacts.com:

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=530" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=21470" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

As is typical of a great song of this era, at least three women think it was written about them. And you can also interpret it as being about the relationship of the musicians to their drugs.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I read Linda Ronstadt's autobiography not too long ago, and in it she tells a story of hanging out with Keith and Gram. She said Keith played them an unrecorded acoustic version of Wd Horses, and Gram and Linda both loved it. Gram begged Keith to let him record it. She didn't say anything about it being about Gram.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

sancarlos wrote:I joke with my wife that the only two women I'd leave her for are Chrissy Hynde and Emmylou Harris.
I presume that at one point Linda Ronstadt was on this list.

Having married the ideal woman, I'm not even joking about leaving. But I do find singers Allison Moorer and Shelby Lynn attractive. I was surprised to find that they are sisters. Too, Bonnie Raitt.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

This is pretty much as good as it gets in the bluegrass world. My favorite living guitar player kills it.

More brilliance, same place a few years earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPpFWk3gFj8
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DC47 wrote:
sancarlos wrote:I joke with my wife that the only two women I'd leave her for are Chrissy Hynde and Emmylou Harris.
I presume that at one point Linda Ronstadt was on this list.

Having married the ideal woman, I'm not even joking about leaving. But I do find singers Allison Moorer and Shelby Lynn attractive. I was surprised to find that they are sisters. Too, Bonnie Raitt.
I think Allison Moorer is still married to Steve Earle, isn't she? He trades them in every couple years.
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

howard wrote:According to songfacts.com:

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=530" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=21470" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is interesting. I thought I had read that the Stones had GP in England, and wanted The Burrito Brothers to do the song.

I stand corrected.
It's the sixth version of The Swamp. What could possibly go wrong?
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

DC47 wrote:This is pretty much as good as it gets in the bluegrass world. My favorite living guitar player kills it.

More brilliance, same place a few years earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPpFWk3gFj8
That gives me some flashbacks to Hot Rize and Newgrass Revival. Great bluegrass bands.

I saw Hot Rize just before they broke up. I had tickets to Newgrass, but had to cancel due to flu.

I have seen Tim O'Brien a few times, and Tim & Molly O'Brien once, at a great little venue in Dayton, OH, named Canal Street Tavern. Others that I had the opportunity to see there are Steve Goodman, David Bromberg, James McMurtry, and Chris Hillman (with Bernie Leadon and Herb Pederson.)
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

sancarlos wrote:I think Allison Moorer is still married to Steve Earle, isn't she? He trades them in every couple years.
I don't know. I think they've recently toured and recorded together. But that can stimulate break-ups as well as demonstrate a bond. And with Earle the historic base-rate for divorce is pretty high. Moorer's family history might leave her a bit shaky about the marriage thing as well. There are scars that don't heal all the way.

Regarding trading in, I don't follow his love life, but Earle is an extreme character, and spent years doing a lot of drugs. He's immensely talented and charismatic. But both factors might have led to some of the women who married him to be doing the trading-in, rather than vice-versa.
Last edited by DC47 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

HDO45331 wrote:That gives me some flashbacks to Hot Rize and Newgrass Revival. Great bluegrass bands.

I saw Hot Rize just before they broke up. I had tickets to Newgrass, but had to cancel due to flu.

I have seen Tim O'Brien a few times, and Tim & Molly O'Brien once, at a great little venue in Dayton, OH, named Canal Street Tavern. Others that I had the opportunity to see there are Steve Goodman, David Bromberg, James McMurtry, and Chris Hillman (with Bernie Leadon and Herb Pederson.)
Those are great musical references to me.

I'm a long-time Hot Rize fan going back decades. Little known fact: Pete Wernick was a radio DJ with a bluegrass radio show in NYC, starting sometime prior to 1968. I saw him with his latest group last summer in Colorado. He was playing with a guys on the vibes, clarinet, electric bass and drums -- it wasn't a straight-ahead bluegrass band. I just missed Hot Rize in Michigan last fall. In my view, Tim O'Brien and Bryan Sutton are two of the most under-rated musicians out there. I still listen to the Charles Sawtelle solo album. David Bromberg was one of my first concerts, back in the 70s, when he was touring with a band. He was even better the second time when I saw him play solo.

Since you know of Newgrass Revival, you have a good idea of the talent level that was on the stage with Tony Rice in those videos. It borders on silly to rank musicians. But you could argue that most of the people on the state were the best on their instruments in the bluegrass world at the time. It was like an all-star team. Except in bluegrass (as opposed to rock and pop genres) this doesn't always lead to dysfunction, for several reasons. In any event, it was funny to see them looking so young. The subsequent 20 years have made them bluegrass legends and graybeards in the genre. They're so busy now that I wonder if they'll ever be on the same stage again? That was a magic moment.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

HDO45331 wrote:I love this thread.

The first time I heard the Flying Burrito Brothers was at a lawn party, off campus, when I was at Miami OH. Large Marantz speakers were in both windows of the apartment, and were turned up. They played Last of the Red Hot Burritos, and a friend talked to me about the band, track by track. One side was influenced by Parsons, while the other was Hillman. This was an amazing album, going from driving rock to folk to bluegrass. That is the point in time where I really got into bluegrass. The fiddle player was a multi year champion.

Shortly afterwards, Steven Stills and Manassas first album (double) was released. Manassas included a couple of the FBB. (Hillman and Perkins?) That was a musical religious experience for me.

Lately, I have gotten into Austin musicians, like Guy Clark, James McMurtry, and Gary Clark Jr. AB the White helped get me into Guy Clark, and I thank him for that.
It's my pleasure to have exposed Guy Clark to you! Least I could do. Just a tremendous songwriter. His live show is fun. It's odd, because it's just him and Verlon playing guitar, but it's two guys who love what they do and are 100% committed. Guy has to take breaks, but that lets Verlon play a couple of songs by himself, and those songs that he usually, Joe Walker's Mare and Greasy Bend, are also great in their own right.

He's a good songwriter but a better guitarist. He's phenomenal and the lead player on most of Guy's stuff.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

howard wrote:OK, fine. Best record ever. ff to 7:44 if you're in a hurry.

Man, I made a mistake. Like Howard suggested, I did skip ahead to 7:44 the other day when I thought I was busy. Yes, it was a nice solo, but really not that memorable.

Well.

Today, I decided to give the whole song a listen and that's a COMPLETELY different experience. You have to give the whole song a listen. The way it builds up to that solo section is incredible. Great song.

If any Swampers reading this thread haven't listened to that one yet, hit Play up there.

(and yes, I've heard the song before, but I'm not sure it was this version)
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Twice now, in intimate theaters, I saw Guy Clark, Lyle Lovett, Joe Ely and John Hiatt playing together. Just the four of them with acoustic guitars, lined up in folding chairs across the stage. They would take turns singing one of their own songs and the other three would do backup vocals. Then, as the show went further, they started doing duets, then some with all four of them. Really great shows. One thing that stood out for me, was the obvious respect and deference the other three all showed Guy Clark.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Alright, old farts. The song in that video with all the naked dudes is pretty fucking good. You may be on to something.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DC47 wrote: They're so busy now that I wonder if they'll ever be on the same stage again? That was a magic moment.
The all-star jams the last day of Telluride Bluegrass are typically pretty close to this.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

Rush2112 wrote:
DC47 wrote: They're so busy now that I wonder if they'll ever be on the same stage again? That was a magic moment.
The all-star jams the last day of Telluride Bluegrass are typically pretty close to this.[/quot

I have heard that. I would love to go to the Telluride Festival. (bucket list)
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

HDO45331 wrote:
I have heard that. I would love to go to the Telluride Festival. (bucket list)
It was fun, but I don't think I could be one of those that goes year after year.

You can generally listen to 85% of the shows via the Internet (some artists don't let the local station broadcast their shows.)
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

DC47 wrote:
HDO45331 wrote:That gives me some flashbacks to Hot Rize and Newgrass Revival. Great bluegrass bands.

Those are great musical references to me.

I'm a long-time Hot Rize fan going back decades. Little known fact: Pete Wernick was a radio DJ with a bluegrass radio show in NYC, starting sometime prior to 1968. I saw him with his latest group last summer in Colorado. He was playing with a guys on the vibes, clarinet, electric bass and drums -- it wasn't a straight-ahead bluegrass band. I just missed Hot Rize in Michigan last fall. In my view, Tim O'Brien and Bryan Sutton are two of the most under-rated musicians out there. I still listen to the Charles Sawtelle solo album. David Bromberg was one of my first concerts, back in the 70s, when he was touring with a band. He was even better the second time when I saw him play solo.

Since you know of Newgrass Revival, you have a good idea of the talent level that was on the stage with Tony Rice in those videos. It borders on silly to rank musicians. But you could argue that most of the people on the state were the best on their instruments in the bluegrass world at the time. It was like an all-star team. Except in bluegrass (as opposed to rock and pop genres) this doesn't always lead to dysfunction, for several reasons. In any event, it was funny to see them looking so young. The subsequent 20 years have made them bluegrass legends and graybeards in the genre. They're so busy now that I wonder if they'll ever be on the same stage again? That was a magic moment.
Two more people I saw at Canal Street. Tony Rice, and Doc Watson. Both blew me away.

Canal Street was a fantastic venue, with a diversified group of talent. Many played there in the late 70s/early 80s, and became pretty well known. Buckwheat Zydeco played there 3-4 times a year. Another fellow, by the name of Gamble Rogers, was a self-called "troubadour" from Florida. He would play his acoustic guitar and sing a little, and then tell the greatest stories about his county of birth, around Maitland, FL. I never got the opportunity to see him, and he tragically died, trying to save a drowning person. If you get the chance, Google Gamble Rogers Youtube. There are a couple of segments on him. I am going to order some of his CDs from the Gamble Rogers Memorial Foundation.
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I was gonna mention Creedence, but I did not want to poison the waters of the Swampcrash playoff question.

Between CCR and Johnny Cash in heavy rotation on the Sac area radio and in my friends' record collections, I was big fans of these and other bands that could/would be later considered country rock. There was no big distinction in my mind; those guys, Allmans, Neil Young, Buffalo Springfield and Commander Cody I also liked a lot. NRPS (Panama Red was a big radio hit senior year of high school) and Poco became faves in college. I like Poco a lot. And of course Eagles and Linda were radio staples. Only later did I realize these were considered part of a genre distinct from straight up r+r.

I wish I had been more aware, I would've had an earlier appreciation of Merle Haggard, Buck Owens and the like.

Tidbit - Green River was written about a place Fogarty and his family frequently vacationed at, a rural resort in my neck of the woods. The real life body of water that inspired the tune was Putah Creek-which runs through my hometown, where we used to play and fish as kids, later our teen beer-drinking hangout. We always figured this was some Louisiana bayou locale; we would've plotzed if we knew our little creek was CCR's 'Green River'.

We also played a lot of baseball, stuck in Lodi, again.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I know a guy from Lodi. I asked him once if people ever bring up that song. He made a weary expression, and said, "Only all the fucking time. Everybody thinks it's so funny to bring it up to me. The town IS a dump, but not every dump town gets their nose rubbed in it!"
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

The song is the best thing that will ever happen to Lodi, unless they discover the cure for cancer there. The Lions club should sponsor a 'welcome to' sign that says:

Oh Lord
Stuck in Lodi
Again
Last edited by DC47 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Sure this belongs in the movie thread, but there is a very cool old John Huston flick called Fat City set in Lodi and Stockton, about two boxers/loser characters played by Stacey Keatch and Jeff Bridges. Coach from Cheers as, well, the boxing coach.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Couldn't JC come up with a good rhyme to Putah Creek?

When I found out that CCR was just a Bay Area rock band, I was astonished. What, no bayou?

I suppose Fogerty might have spent some serious time on the delta though. Sacramento River version, that is. Maybe the corner he was down on was in Locke? He could have walked out of Lodi to get there.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Also - fun fact - based on growing up with a bunch of Latino kids, I'm pretty sure that Putah means whore in Spanish.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Puta
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Saw Fogerty at Telluride a few years ago. If there had been a roof over the valley, he would have blown it off.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

What was he playing?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DC47 wrote:What was he playing?
The hits. Everything from Bayou to Centerfield.

Review here: http://nodepression.com/article/john-fo ... ctivity%20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

sancarlos wrote:Also - fun fact - based on growing up with a bunch of Latino kids, I'm pretty sure that Putah means whore in Spanish.
We settle this in middle school, Miss Hagen, our Spanish teacher. Puta - Mexican slang. Putah - local Indian word.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I misjudged Telluride. I thought this was more of bluegrass-stretched-to-acoustic-roots kind of festival.

I'd actually like to hear a Fogerty acoustic concert. The songs would hold up to this.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

howard wrote:
sancarlos wrote:Also - fun fact - based on growing up with a bunch of Latino kids, I'm pretty sure that Putah means whore in Spanish.
We settle this in middle school, Mrs. Hagen, our Spanish teacher. Puta - Mexican slang. Putah - local Indian word.
Mrs. Hagen no doubt was a lying puta. Trying to take away all that fun from the middle school boys. Besides, maybe the local Indians had been influenced by the Mexicans who lived there before them.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, this thread gave me an idea. I wanted to see if any of youse guys would like to participate in a mix CD swap? Basically, the idea would be that we figure out who all wants to participate. Then, you make a mix cd of your favorite songs/artists that you think the others might enjoy. You dub as many copies of your cd as there are participants in the swap group. We can exchange mailing addresses via pm.

Anybody want to do this?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Not to take away from your idea SC, but sharing via dropcanvas or setting up a shared dropbox might be easier.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush, I'm all for adopting a better/simpler technology. But, some of us old guys might need some detailed steps to follow.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

When you want to share something go to http://dropcanvas.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can create an account if you so desire, IIRC you get more storage if you have an account (1GB v. 5,) plus things disappear after a week if you don't have an account.

Then drag and drop whatever files you want to share, once they're uploaded copy the share link on the top that can be shared here, via email, or PM.

For instance here is John Prine's performance at Telluride 2012
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

Rush2112 wrote:When you want to share something go to http://dropcanvas.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can create an account if you so desire, IIRC you get more storage if you have an account (1GB v. 5,) plus things disappear after a week if you don't have an account.

Then drag and drop whatever files you want to share, once they're uploaded copy the share link on the top that can be shared here, via email, or PM.

For instance here is John Prine's performance at Telluride 2012
I would be in, if I could figure everything out. If not, a CD swap is OK, too, but I would imagine that many more could be listed on Rush's method.
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

Would this include all that confounded new-timey stuff?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Not a fan of The Devil Makes Three?

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

How about some guitar magic?

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."