Tubby era in Gopherland

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Tubby era in Gopherland

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Shirley
The Dude

Re: Tubby era in Gopherland

Post by Shirley »

That's just dumb. Are there people outside of Minnesota who actually think the Gophers should regularly be better than Tubby got them? I thought he did a pretty damn good job. Not top-tier elite, but still pretty damn good. I'm willing to bet that Minnesota won't be getting any better with the new coach.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Tubby can win 20 games anywhere. Trust me.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yep. Crazy. That's not a real good job.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:That's just dumb. Are there people outside of Minnesota who actually think the Gophers should regularly be better than Tubby got them? I thought he did a pretty damn good job. Not top-tier elite, but still pretty damn good. I'm willing to bet that Minnesota won't be getting any better with the new coach.
There's a special level of lunacy in the Minnesota AD department. Remember they fired Glen Mason after going to bowl games for like 7 or 8 straight years. How'd that work out for them?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

Whatever, dicks. Minnesota is perfectly located from a geographical perspective to attract all that burgeoning basketball talent in Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
Popin' ain't easy
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote:
There's a special level of lunacy in the Minnesota AD department. Remember they fired Glen Mason after going to bowl games for like 7 or 8 straight years. How'd that work out for them?
One of the sports radio guys in Seattle used to say "Don't get tired of winning". Exactly what are the expectations for Minnesota basketball? Be competitive in the Big10? Make the tourney? Maybe make a run into the Sweet16/RegionalFinals every once in a while? Run a clean program? Seems like Tubby met all of those.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

AussieDave wrote:
brian wrote:
One of the sports radio guys in Seattle used to say "Don't get tired of winning". Exactly what are the expectations for Minnesota basketball? Be competitive in the Big10? Make the tourney? Maybe make a run into the Sweet16/RegionalFinals every once in a while? Run a clean program? Seems like Tubby met all of those.
The problem is that Tubby is content to do just that. I don't think he has the competitive fire/energy to do the things to get a team to the next level. Tubby is a tremendous in-game coach. But it's all the other stuff that doesn't suit him. Recruiting wise, he will always take a guy who is going to be there 4 years over a potential one/two and done. Not that a whole lot of those guys want to go to Minnesota, but he did have Royce White and the Iverson kid on his team at one point. Towards the end of his days here at UK, he was pretty much ignoring all the ancillary shit a coach has to put up with unless it dealt specifically with his charities. That got old for the boosters.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

"Stop reminding us that we take this shit too seriously!!!"
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote:"Stop reminding us that we take this shit too seriously!!!"
Yup. That's about the size of it. I don't think I could be a division I basketball coach. The demands on your time are insane.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Would think college hoops coaching is way better than the NFL and better than college football too.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

HaulCitgo wrote:Would think college hoops coaching is way better than the NFL and better than college football too.
Not at Kentucky.
Totally Kafkaesque