2015: The Year in AlexRod

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

What is your level of interest in Alex Rodriguez?

I care. I care deeply.
7%
If I see his name mentioned, I will read all the way until the end of the headline.
29%
I can't turn off 'Sportscenter' fast enough whenever I see that centaur's face.
64%

Total votes: 14

bapo!
The Big Lebowski

2015: The Year in AlexRod

Post by bapo! »

I've been doing my best to avoid all of the Alex Rodriguez talk. Spring Training hasn't even started yet, but we've already been bombarded with A-Rod stories. An apology! A handwritten letter! Etc.

I'm an A-Rod apologist, but even I'm beginning to feel a little bit fatigued. I'm sure that most of you are past 'fatigued' and on the way to 'Oh, please, not this shit again.' But this is certain to be a season full of drama, so we may as well have a dedicated thread.
rass
The Dude

Re: 2015: The Year in AlexRod

Post by rass »

Needs an "I care, but only when he is directly embarrassing the Yankees" option.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Almost complete indifference. If it were complete indifference I wouldn't have posted in this thread.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I admit to fascination to see how he's going to perform on the field, but I don't give a fuck about any of the other nonsense.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I say this with no sarcasm: Sports history will look back at Lex as a persecuted figure.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

It's so easy to avoid this stuff these days. I have barely seen any of the ARod stuff. I know that a handwritten letter exists. I haven't read it.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Same. If you don't watch ESPN, you can avoid almost 90% of pointless sports topics.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Gunpowder wrote:It's so easy to avoid this stuff these days. I have barely seen any of the ARod stuff. I know that a handwritten letter exists. I haven't read it.
I try to do that, but then I'll visit a baseball blog just to skim the headlines and see that 3 of the top 10 articles are about him. ESPN doesn't have a monopoly on running a story into the ground.

(Sometimes my interests align with the stories that we're being force-fed, tho. I can't read enough about Johnny Manziel, for instance. I've been that way with Rodriguez in the past, but not now.)
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

bapo! wrote:(Sometimes my interests align with the stories that we're being force-fed, tho. I can't read enough about Johnny Manziel, for instance. I've been that way with Rodriguez in the past, but not now.)
If you moved to Cleveland, you would tire of Manziel stories pretty fast.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Sabo wrote:
bapo! wrote:(Sometimes my interests align with the stories that we're being force-fed, tho. I can't read enough about Johnny Manziel, for instance. I've been that way with Rodriguez in the past, but not now.)
If you moved to Cleveland, you would tire of Manziel stories pretty fast.
Perhaps. But as an outsider, I find everything about the Browns to be fascinating. They're almost charming in their train-wreckiness.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You know what would give me the biggest boner? If a dedicated group decided to really hammer away at Buster Olney's tenure as a writer. Dig into his interactions as a beat guy, what he may have seen and not reported on, interview everyone who may have interacted with him and just take away the negative. Do this to no other writers and just make it a constant and unrelenting witch hunt. Because I bet Olney knew some stuff and I think we all deserve to know about it and properly vilify him for what all writers of that era did.

Thanks for getting me fucking started, Bapo.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I really don't care one way or another about arod and this scandal. But, this article points out pretty well how the purveyors of handwriting analysis of his apology are basically full of shit.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This ESPN article, which is actually sympathetic, is sooooooo bad. High school lit dramatic and awful and bad ...

"This is a man whose idea of a perfect evening is polishing his bats. He has them custom made -- coal black, 34 inches, 32 ounces, triple-dipped, his name lasered on the barrel -- and few things give him more pleasure than shining them up, wiping them down with a soft cloth ..."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You guys really need to read this article. Its a good story written sooooooo terribly.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

bapo! wrote: Perhaps. But as an outsider, I find everything about the Browns to be fascinating. They're almost charming in their train-wreckiness.
Bu they're getting a new logo!
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

mister d wrote:This ESPN article, which is actually sympathetic, is sooooooo bad. High school lit dramatic and awful and bad ...

"This is a man whose idea of a perfect evening is polishing his bats. He has them custom made -- coal black, 34 inches, 32 ounces, triple-dipped, his name lasered on the barrel -- and few things give him more pleasure than shining them up, wiping them down with a soft cloth ..."
I bookmarked that earlier, and I had a guilty suspicion that I would end up reading it before I read that Atlantic piece about ISIS/DAESH. You may have saved me from myself. Then again, I'm not immune to the charms of purple sportswriting. I'll probably read it. I love a good bat-rubbing story.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its so bad that its a must read. Like to the point where I'm considering some "is this intentionally awful for some reason I'm not smart enough to figure out" angle.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Add to that windfall another $500 million worth of handsome, and people were just waiting. Fans will root for a megarich athlete who's also ridiculously handsome (body by Rodin, skin like melted butterscotch, eyes of weaponized hazelness), but the minute he stumbles, just ask Tom Brady, they'll stand in line to kick him in his spongy balls.
Okay, I'm hooked. Going to spend the night going back and forth between this and David Carr's addiction memoir. Daesh can wait.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I read it. Should've gone with the ISIS article, which is up next.

The story is interesting (and I am so used to bad writing it didn't get in the way of the story.) I've spent very little time thinking about Arod over the years, and this article cause me to do so. He seems very emotionally stunted, and not very bright. I immediately contrast these qualities with Bonds, who dealt with the villain role in his own way. At face value, Arod's efforts to improve himself and to be a good father seem admirable. His success or failure will likely come down to how honest and sincere he can be to himself, a task difficult for all of us humans, and one he has apparently not done well through most of his life (as far as that is possible to know from reading a couple of articles and watching him play baseball.)

My snap judgment is he would be so much better off retiring and continue the hard work of remaking himself as an ex-ballplayer. But easy for me to say - the well known difficulty for 98% of athletes to walk away from their sport/profession. And the $60 million. The path to redemption through another season playing for the Yankees sure looks much more difficult than just going to college, being a dad, and remaking himself as the guy who used to be Arod.

I also reflect on how lucky Bonds is to have had his dad, his godfather Willie Mays, and others around him to give the benefit of their experiences as public figures and the distortions to reality caused by fame. If I were Arod I would pay close attention to any advice and insight Barry offered.

Bonds was lucky that he had chosen to say fuck off to the media and the hell with his public image, in the service of the needs of his own personality and psyche, long before he used steroids and was caught cheating. Because this approach seems to have served him very well when he was the poster child for all that was evil in baseball. As a huge fan, I saw an emotionally stunted and immature Bonds grow beyond those characteristics, even as he had to deal with being public enemy #1. (Bonds had those mentors, as well as a legit intelligence going for him.) In some ways, being blackballed out of baseball may have been a huge blessing for Bonds.

Sure, this is very distant armchair psychology, but I'm gonna go with it, that's basically what we are doing with any discussion like this.

OK, done thinking and caring about Arod. Back to war and economics, and that ISIS piece.

One more thing. I've seen Arod in the locker room, in his prime, in nothing but boxers. Hands down, the most beautiful man I have ever laid eyes on. Lot of charisma too, despite doing his act for reporters. FWIW (if anything.)

ETA: I did read that Atlantic piece on ISIS, and it is not very deep nor useful. It only mentions Wahhabi variant of Islam once, in passing, making no mention of the systematic projection of that sect over the past 60 years by the Saudi royal family. It points out superficial, and ultimately useless stylistic differences between ISIS leaders and their Al Qaada predecessors. I can give you one obvious insight that went unmentioned - a force such as ISIS that succeeds in controlling a significant mass of land or population only arises after warfare (wrought by a great power, in most cases) destroys a nation/society making such control possible. Failed states that have been made failures by war have this happen to them. The Khemer Rouge; The Taliban (that one was on the USSR, not us); ISIS in Libya (after Hillary personally assassinated Kaadafi.) You could even say an extreme political sect in Germany after WWI. Gee, after living in Iraq during the US war and occupation, lots of people got all apocalyptic in their outlook - a decade of destruction and death of hundreds of thousands might have that effect.

Typical big pile of words missing the most salient points. Makes a couple of small ones.

ETA: an interesting exchange of views on the Atlantic article here: http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2015/02/ ... nt-2406515" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

bapo! wrote:
Add to that windfall another $500 million worth of handsome, and people were just waiting. Fans will root for a megarich athlete who's also ridiculously handsome (body by Rodin, skin like melted butterscotch, eyes of weaponized hazelness), but the minute he stumbles, just ask Tom Brady, they'll stand in line to kick him in his spongy balls.
Okay, I'm hooked. Going to spend the night going back and forth between this and David Carr's addiction memoir. Daesh can wait.
That one was really good too, but in the opposite kind of way.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote:This ESPN article, which is actually sympathetic, is sooooooo bad. High school lit dramatic and awful and bad ...

With that sample, I can only guess the link redirects to Penthouse Forum.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

howard wrote:My snap judgment is he would be so much better off retiring and continue the hard work of remaking himself as an ex-ballplayer. But easy for me to say - the well known difficulty for 98% of athletes to walk away from their sport/profession. And the $60 million. The path to redemption through another season playing for the Yankees sure looks much more difficult than just going to college, being a dad, and remaking himself as the guy who used to be Arod.
If he cares even the slightest bit about his public image, then he has to play this season. If public sentiment is that much against you, wouldn't you want to try to change it? It's not like he can slip into broadcasting and reform his image with viewers/fans. And he's not an unknown/unknowable like Barry Sanders who can just walk away without it diminishing his career in everybody's eyes. He's a special case. He always has been.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

mister d wrote:
bapo! wrote:
David Carr's addiction memoir
That one was really good too, but in the opposite kind of way.
(Have you read the book, or just the excerpt that the Times printed? I'm about halfway thru it, and it's fantastic. He approached it as a reporter, interviewing the people he knew when he a mess, because his memory of those days was understandably blurry, and found out that he was often wrong about his recollections and image of himself.

I was very saddened by his death last week. He was always my go-to whenever there was a media shitstorm. I had just read his piece on Brian Williams a few days before he died.

I don't normally read addiction memoirs, but this and Caroline Knapp's 'Drinking: A Love Story' might be the best two books that I've read in the past year.)
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

bapo! wrote:If he cares even the slightest bit about his public image, then he has to play this season.
I'm suggesting he may well be better off if he is able to care much, much less about his public image. Caring about his public image is a major force that caused him to fuck up his life so badly (as well as fuck up his public image.)

The goal of becoming a psychologically healthy, integrated and ultimately happy human being may be incompatible with redemption of his public image, or incompatible with the efforts to do so.

OTOH, his activities during his year in the desert, as presented in this article, show progress along both lines (public image and internal psychological health.)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He's such a weird dude in terms of that insecurity and awareness of / caring about what people think of him. If he had an ounce of "fuck you" in him, his life wouldn't be fucked up (Bonds' isn't), he wouldn't work as the perfect soon-too-apologize target for dickheads like Lupica and he'd have far more defenders just by taking up his own defense.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

howard wrote: (and I am so used to bad writing it didn't get in the way of the story.)
Because you're used to reading my writing
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Brontoburglar wrote:
howard wrote: (and I am so used to bad writing it didn't get in the way of the story.)
Because you're used to reading my writing
Nope. Because I cranked out plenty of my own.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

howard wrote:ETA: I did read that Atlantic piece on ISIS, and it is not very deep nor useful. It only mentions Wahhabi variant of Islam once, in passing, making no mention of the systematic projection of that sect over the past 60 years by the Saudi royal family. It points out superficial, and ultimately useless stylistic differences between ISIS leaders and their Al Qaada predecessors. I can give you one obvious insight that went unmentioned - a force such as ISIS that succeeds in controlling a significant mass of land or population only arises after warfare (wrought by a great power, in most cases) destroys a nation/society making such control possible. Failed states that have been made failures by war have this happen to them. The Khemer Rouge; The Taliban (that one was on the USSR, not us); ISIS in Libya (after Hillary personally assassinated Kaadafi.) You could even say an extreme political sect in Germany after WWI. Gee, after living in Iraq during the US war and occupation, lots of people got all apocalyptic in their outlook - a decade of destruction and death of hundreds of thousands might have that effect.

Typical big pile of words missing the most salient points. Makes a couple of small ones.

ETA: an interesting exchange of views on the Atlantic article here: http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2015/02/ ... nt-2406515" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I had a more favorable view of the Atlantic article than you did, but I agree with you that the article really failed to explain that the anarchy unleashed by the U.S. invasion of Iraq was essential to the rise of ISIS. And sadly, I think a lot of people will end up using the point in the article that ISIS really is motivated by religion as justification for their continued hatred of Muslims and will, in turn, advocate for the continuation of militaristic policies towards the Muslim World. To be fair to Graeme Wood, he made it clear that he doesn't think that U.S. military action against ISIS is advisable. But it's easy to see how that article will be misused as an anti-Islam propaganda piece.
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

rass wrote:Needs an "I care, but only when he is directly embarrassing the Yankees" option.
This is my attitude
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Where is "he'll be DL'ed by Arbor Day so WGAF"?
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

I read that ESPN article. It's a very sympathetic piece. (It expertly glosses over the fact that he and his mother were on the same flight, but he left her in coach while he flew first-class.) There are some neat little tidbits, like his hobby of visiting college campuses and taking the guided tours.

The article paints him as very scared and insecure, full of self-loathing. It doesn't touch on his outward-directed anger much, but that has to be there, right? If you were him, wouldn't you just be walking around pissed all of the time? This goes back to what Howard was saying when he compared him to Bonds. I don't know whether Bonds had that anger inside of him, or if he merely gave zero fucks, but he seems to be in a better place. But I don't know these people, so what do I really know?

As for the writing itself, yeah that was overwritten by a magnitude of about a hundred. I can see the desire to punch things up, because nobody really wants to read yet another story about A-Rod. But Moehringer kept getting in the way of the story here.

This actually reminded me of Brian Stelter, which is fitting since he and the aforementioned David Carr both worked at the Times and covered the same beat. A couple of years ago, Stelter wrote a book about the network morning shows, specifically the Matt Lauer/Ann Curry fiasco. The story and the personalities involved should have been enough, but Stelter's writing was just so weird.
Still, it seemed to many as if America's first family was going the way of the Mulvaneys in Joyce Carol Oates's 'We Were the Mulvaneys.' And now there was something else at the center of the show, something that, if it was a family, was one of those makeshift nineteenth-century frontier families in which the mommy dies and, out of some kind of no-longer-comprehensible hardscrabble necessity, the daddy marries the aunt. All anyone could say for certain was that this family-like thing costarred Ann Curry, who for so long had been but a member of the supporting cast, and that all was not going swimmingly.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"If you were him, wouldn't you just be walking around pissed all of the time?"

I really think he's just sad. Like a legit sad dude.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

"If you were him, wouldn't you just be walking around pissed all of the time?"

I think this is a choice, for a rich, famous ballplayer. (maybe for every human; I consider it a choice for me.)

Gore Vidal once said the three saddest words in the English language are Joyce Carol Oates.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Rodriguez needs two more home runs to tie Willie Mays. The Yankees are doing nothing to acknowledge this because they don't want to pay the marketing incentive clause in his contract. It's a beautiful mess.

The Great Bryan Curtis has a fun read up on Grantland, about the various personas that the media has tried to affix to A-Rod over the years.
It’d be nice to think we treat each new ballplayer who comes along like a beautiful, unique snowflake. But sportswriters are comparative mythologists at heart. What we’re really doing is wedging ballplayers into archetypes that have been around long before they were born: The Natural, The Overweight But Jolly Slugger, The Veteran on His Last Legs.

No one in recent baseball history has been fitted for more of these archetypes than A-Rod. “He is an immensely appealing blank slate,” said Craig Calcaterra, who writes for HardballTalk. “He always has been. He can look the part of a matinee idol. He can look the part of a villain. He can also look like someone who’s pathetic. It’s uncanny how easy it is for people to project onto him.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Weird that the artist cut off their equine bodies.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

His twitter is a master-course on being in on the joke. New Lex is amazing.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:His twitter is a master-course on being in on the joke.
Really?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Individual tweets don't tell the story, you need to read the entire thing. He's not all that active so it shouldn't take too long.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Apparently ARod Corp. is not business casual. His boss must be a prick.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian