More Backroom Deals Than Tammany Hall - A Youth Soccer Tale

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, brian, ZMan, Sabo

elflaco2
Jackie Treehorn

Re: More Backroom Deals Than Tammany Hall - A Youth Soccer Tale

Post by elflaco2 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:26 am

yep. officially the state went to phase 4 last monday -- but seems most clubs pushed it a week.

the HS is holding unofficial captains' practices 2x a week -- no scrimmages yet.. lots of parents looking on the last two weeks.

non c19 related.. the HS (one public HS in town) has 3 teams.. Varsity, JV, Freshman. Basically everyone plays which is ridiculous. but only seniors play in varsity.. cause they deserve to. they're seniors (no bs.. that is the real answer i got).. and freshman only play freshman team.
there's almost a full team of 9th graders who play club soccer who because of their birthyear wont' play club soccer until november.. they are stuck on the frosh team with about 20 others (last year that team had 33 kids.. but only 18 jerseys) i'm sure i'll be ranting on this later in the rant thread.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:41 pm

I talked the trainer into having the players bring an extra jersey to use instead of pinnies. The team also scheduled a scrimmage for Sunday after verifying that 9+ players would be available.

After all of that, we talked to my kid about the scrimmage and she told us that not only was she not comfortable with that, she wasn't comfortable with the amount contact last week and does not currently want to go to practice either.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:16 am

rass wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:41 pm
I talked the trainer into having the players bring an extra jersey to use instead of pinnies. The team also scheduled a scrimmage for Sunday after verifying that 9+ players would be available.

After all of that, we talked to my kid about the scrimmage and she told us that not only was she not comfortable with that, she wasn't comfortable with the amount contact last week and does not currently want to go to practice either.
Oh man, I feel for the kid. Your oldest doesn't play anymore, right?

Full contact practice last night. I think I'm OK with it, but still have the nagging feeling we will look back and realize this was stupid. After 30 minutes of full-field scrimmage, my daughter seems like a new kid. Haven't seen her this happy in months, and didn't realize she hasn't been fully herself since lockdown. She is a very social kid, but doesn't have many close friends, so hasn't been talking to too many kids.

It seems kind of silly after 1:30 of full contact practice, they have to put on masks and walk out single file even though they were the last practice of the day.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

HaulCitgo
Donny

Post by HaulCitgo » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:37 pm

Last two posts what this is all about. Kid plays lots of sports but something about soccer teaches great lessons. Baseball teaches you to fail on an island in crucial situations and hoops teaches humility cause the level is so high but soccer teaches togetherness. Those kids work for each other out there. Of course dad said fuck the togetherness and you're going to play at a bigger club. Still they called and invited him to a kick around cause it's family. No one ever calls for baseball or hoops unless you can do something for them.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:59 am

My former coaching partner is still coaching the same town travel team, and had an unexpected dilemma arise. For added context, his daughter double carded at a for-profit club last year, and the coaches at that club all left and formed their own club. He scheduled a scrimmage for his travel team with the coach is daughter played for the previous year. After the game, a player on the travel team posted a video on TiKTok saying "We despise #12" and put a hashtag with the name of the club. The coach of the other team forwarded it to him. Didn't think travel soccer coaches needed to provide social media training to 11 year old girls, but this is the world we live in.

It's even funnier given the girl who made the post. She will literally stand in place and turn her head and watch a player dribble around her because she can't be bothered to pretend to make an effort at times. And when she does try, she's been described as looking like a new born giraffe trying to stand up for the first time. She's made fun of teammates who were trying for making mistakes in the past, so I have no guilt in typing that. I'm amazed when the worst player who puts out the least effort is the one trash talking.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt