Depression is awful, awful, awful....

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

devilfluff
Brandt

Re: Depression is awful, awful, awful....

Post by devilfluff »

That is good to hear.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Good news. I hope he can get some help now. He must be going through some very painful shit.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Great work, swampers.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I wonder how Scottie would react to someone else publicly threatening suicide, going silent for a few days, and then saying he/she was OK and not suicidal?
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shirley wrote:I wonder how Scottie would react to someone else publicly threatening suicide, going silent for a few days, and then saying he/she was OK and not suicidal?
I hear you, but who really cares?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Well, I found myself refreshing Twitter all weekend looking for updates, so I guess I care.

Despite the complex relationship Scottie had with most of us here, I am very happy that he's OK. I think being pissed at him now is a pretty natural response. Maybe if I knew more about what led to that Tweet, it would make more sense, but in that absence of that information, it looks like yet another self-centered, irrational outburst. If it comes out that he truly was despondent and planning on killing himself, I'll feel otherwise. If that's the case, it's pretty odd to hear now that he's OK and "not suicidal" from the RCMP.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shirley wrote:Well, I found myself refreshing Twitter all weekend looking for updates, so I guess I care.

Despite the complex relationship Scottie had with most of us here, I am very happy that he's OK. I think being pissed at him now is a pretty natural response. Maybe if I knew more about what led to that Tweet, it would make more sense, but in that absence of that information, it looks like yet another self-centered, irrational outburst. If it comes out that he truly was despondent and planning on killing himself, I'll feel otherwise. If that's the case, it's pretty odd to hear now that he's OK and "not suicidal" from the RCMP.
Perhaps I should have been clearer with my post. What I meant to write was that I don't care if it was a joke, or call for help, or he had second thoughts, etc. I'm just glad he's safe. I certainly didn't intend my "who cares" comment to mean about his life. Quite the opposite. My "who cares" was about any anger towards him if his post was a joke. I was following this on twitter as best I could all weekend, and am very glad to hear that he's safe and alive.

ETA - I can't muster any anger towards him about this, even if it was ill intentioned.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

MaxWebster wrote:Scott is his middle name, so he wasn't technically lying. :)

I will not ever defend a lot of what happened here...that's not right: what he did to the Swamp. I never understood it.

That being said, I have met him in person - first time years ago, and again after I moved here to Vancouver last year, a few times. It certainly may be hard to reconcile - and honestly is sometimes for me too, when i have happened to come across his Twitter...twits (?? sorry, no idea - not my bag). I do not agree with a whole fuckload of stuff he types out...

But.

He has *always* been a gentle soul in-person, and extraordinarily generous. Near-180 from his online persona/s. I know many of you may roll your eyes at this but I can't stress that enough. He is. Both in/at his home, and amongst other friends (I actually went to a curling match of his a few months back).

I only can hope at this point that he was somehow "in character" this morning. I'll stop speculation and just hope he is heard from.

-Rob
I also met him a little over a year ago when I was out in Vancouver for work, went out for dinner and drinks with him. He said he sent you a couple flares, Max, but had not heard back from you.

In any case, I bolded what Max wrote, as I found this to be completely true. He picked me up at my hotel, including apologizing many, many times for being late because he was unfamiliar with the part of the city where I was staying and for his GPS being a pain in the ass.

But there were some hints at his "online personality", for lack of a better word, coming out. Not a big deal by any account.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Don't want to belabor the point, but the important thing is he's OK. Dave, your remark earlier seems kind of churlish and unnecessary.

The whole point of depression is you can't really understand it unless you're living through it. Trying to ascribe "logic" or your worldview on someone who's dealing it would be like me suggesting I understand what it's like to have a son with autism because my nephew has autism -- kind of the height of stupidity and insulting on several levels.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I'm #teamShirley
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Churlish and unnecessary? Maybe. Maybe I read too much into the "not suicidal" part.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

"Not suicidal" doesn't exactly mean "he's fine and was fucking around".
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Great news. I'm very glad he did not pull the trigger, and that he reached out via twitter.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

brian wrote:"Not suicidal" doesn't exactly mean "he's fine and was fucking around".
Agreed. Depression is a motherfucker. Very happy that he is ok for now and I hope he grows better going forward.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I have a hard time mustering a healthy crap about him. I don't wish him any ill will, but I find his online personality so douchey and unlikeable that I wasn't losing any sleep over his tweet because I don't believe anything he says anyway.

People who really want to off themselves (IMO) aren't tweeting it out to 2488 people.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Damn... you guys hold a grudge like the wife. I can never remember to still be angry the next day.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Not a grudge. Just remember the guy being a dick. Never had any reason to change that opinion.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Here's a little something I've picked up somewhere down the line. People are complex. And some more than others.

Scottie posted some pretty hostile stuff directed at me in my early days here. In the past year we had many very civil exchanges both on the forum and privately. He certainly is talented, interesting (at least to me), and can be charming. Others seem to have had similar experiences, on both sides.

It's not a big stretch of the imagination to think that Scottie has a wide behavioral range that is determined by inner and outer circumstances at the time. Life isn't easy, and we all have a breaking point. I don't know all that Scottie deals with, but I'm completely sympathetic.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I hear Ted Bundy was a swell guy also.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote:I hear Ted Bundy was a swell guy also.
And quite the looker. Always a hit with the ladies.

To be serious, we don't know, can't know what Scottie is dealing with. We've all seen drastic swings in his posts over the past decade. He did share some deeply troubling insight into his childhood, so none of us should even attempt to try and understand what was going through his head. Maybe those who have talked to him have an idea, but you can never know. It's one thing to ban him and say you never want to hear from him again, but man, at least have some sympathy or empathy that he hit a rough spot.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I've dealt with with chronic depression since this decade started, so maybe I should have some more sympathy here, but I'm with the Chosen Baltimorean here. Until proven otherwise, he's the boy who cried wolf pack with me.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I know I'm probably biased due to our closeness, but I fall firmly on the side of "I have no clue what he's dealing with so I'd take him being ok as nothing but a positive". Can't see anything gained by a cynical view here, especially since this wasn't a Scottie / counter-Scottie event.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah I don't think there's a whole lot to be gained from piling on. Some of you guys wanted him gone and he's gone. I'm glad it allows bfj to feel morally superior but as usual he's not really bringing anything to the table by passive-aggressively being a dick, especially now that we know Scottie is OK.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The Sybian wrote:
bfj wrote:I hear Ted Bundy was a swell guy also.
And quite the looker. Always a hit with the ladies.

To be serious, we don't know, can't know what Scottie is dealing with. We've all seen drastic swings in his posts over the past decade. He did share some deeply troubling insight into his childhood, so none of us should even attempt to try and understand what was going through his head. Maybe those who have talked to him have an idea, but you can never know. It's one thing to ban him and say you never want to hear from him again, but man, at least have some sympathy or empathy that he hit a rough spot.
I don't believe a word of what he says. My life wasn't the easiest and still isn't. I've been through a lot of the same shit he has, doesn't give people the right to be condescending, insulting douchebags. I'm not wishing that he died, that would be horrible. I'm not like that. However, I just said I wasn't losing any sleep over his tweet. If that makes me an asshole, so be it. I care 1000% more about ANY ONE OF YOU. You know why? Because you are all good natured, funny and intelligent people. On here, he wasn't.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

brian wrote:Yeah I don't think there's a whole lot to be gained from piling on. Some of you guys wanted him gone and he's gone. I'm glad it allows bfj to feel morally superior but as usual he's not really bringing anything to the table by passive-aggressively being a dick, especially now that we know Scottie is OK.

Go fuck yourself. Maybe you and he can trade Hardy Boys books while you cuddle. I'm not morally superior to anyone. Sorry I dont "bring anything to the table". You want me to feel bad for someone I don't give a fuck about. Not going to happen.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

bfj wrote:
brian wrote:Yeah I don't think there's a whole lot to be gained from piling on. Some of you guys wanted him gone and he's gone. I'm glad it allows bfj to feel morally superior but as usual he's not really bringing anything to the table by passive-aggressively being a dick, especially now that we know Scottie is OK.

Go fuck yourself. Maybe you and he can trade Hardy Boys books while you cuddle. I'm not morally superior to anyone. Sorry I dont "bring anything to the table". You want me to feel bad for someone I don't give a fuck about. Not going to happen.
I'm not surprised. You're a pretty horrible person yourself.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

brian wrote:
bfj wrote:

I'm not surprised. You're a pretty horrible person yourself.
How so? Where does that come from?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

For just one example it's not surprising that someone who can't forgive ordinary Germans four generations after the Holocaust is going to be able to forgive Scottie for anything. You have a lot of anger and a lot of issues. I wish you well but you're almost as poisonous as he was at his worst.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

That's quite possibly the dumbest thing you've ever written. And you have written some ridiculous shit. I've never been anything but nice to you and civil to everyone else on this board.

You're comparison of me to Scottie is laughable. And anyone who agrees with Brian is welcome to chime in and let me know if they agree with him.

My hatred of regular Germans is played up a bit for comedy purposes, but that probably goes over your head. That's ok.

I do have anger and some issues, but I don't take them out on the Swamp.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just a few posts ago you compared Scottie to a serial killer. But I'm sure that was a joke that went over my head too. Here's a secret for you. I don't give a flying fuck what you think about me. I respect most people on here even the ones I sonetimes/usually disagree with. I find you to be an especially unhappy/disagreeable person and I pity you. I hope you get your shit figured out but at the end of the day my life goes on just fine either way.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

brian wrote:Just a few posts ago you compared Scottie to a serial killer. But I'm sure that was a joke that went over my head too. Here's a secret for you. I don't give a flying fuck what you think about me. I respect most people on here even the ones I sonetimes/usually disagree with. I find you to be an especially unhappy/disagreeable person and I pity you. I hope you get your shit figured out but at the end of the day my life goes on just fine either way.
It did go over your head.

Your pity is funny. Because I think the general consensus is that YOU are the disagreeable pissy little bitch. I'm sorry to have to break that to you. Sunshine, my shit is figured out and I'm glad your life goes on. I'm glad you are living well and happy. Doesn't really seem that way. I wish you well you sad little marathoner.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

only 2 things seem to foster this level of bile and vitriol in the swamp: scottie and the patriots.

draw your own conclusions.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

bfj wrote:
brian wrote:Just a few posts ago you compared Scottie to a serial killer. But I'm sure that was a joke that went over my head too. Here's a secret for you. I don't give a flying fuck what you think about me. I respect most people on here even the ones I sonetimes/usually disagree with. I find you to be an especially unhappy/disagreeable person and I pity you. I hope you get your shit figured out but at the end of the day my life goes on just fine either way.
Doesn't really seem that way. I wish you well you sad little marathoner.
I literally don't know what that's supposed to mean but I find it telling. I've had my brain cut open and three seizures in the last 12 months and I'm probably still going to outlive you by 30 years. And I don't have any kids or family to live for. Like I said you're a sad, unhappy man who feels like he has to make himself feel better by dragging down others. Sound familiar?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

But I'm not sad or unhappy at all. Great life, great wife, great kids, great job. Maybe you're jealous. My life has quality and meaning. I help people every day, I don't drag them down. I spent 10 years giving freedom and mobility to people who never had it and now I help families who have no place to turn for help. Enjoy outliving me by 30 years. At least my years are happy years.

I truly glad you're healthy. I was worried about you when you were sick. I was glad to see your updates after your surgery. I'm truly stunned you dislike me this much.

Is this because the Orioles kicked the Tigers' ass in the ALDS?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If that were that case I'd REALLY dislike Howard since his team beat the Tigers in a postseason series that actually mattered.

I'm glad you're happy. You don't show it here. And that's OK. This is a place to be whatever you want to some degree. I really don't wish you any will I just don't find you my cup of tea I guess. C'est la vie.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I hate tea.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Relax guys.

Shit even when Scottie isn't on here, he gets people bickering.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

degenerasian wrote:Relax guys.

Shit even when Scottie isn't on here, he gets people bickering.
I doubt bfj is losing any sleep. And I'm not. We're good.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Oh come the fuck on, Brian.

He obviously has apnea.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Ryan wrote:Oh come the fuck on, Brian.

He obviously has apnea.
Lolololol, I do. But I used my CPAP machine and slept like a bf baby. Right next to my wife and beautiful kids.

The fact that anyone feels that way about me does bother me, but I can't make everyone happy and I'm hardly here much anymore these days.