Arrested Development

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Arrested Development

Post by brian »

I hadn't realized this, but apparently the upcoming Season Four on Netflix is supposed to interactive (well, sorta).

You gotta hand it to Mitchell Hurwitz. That's either going to be genius or....well, at worst it'll probably still be better than 90 percent of the crap on TV.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Re: Arrested Development

Post by Jerloma »

I know...I'm not sure how I feel about it. Apparently, you can watch them in any order you'd like and people will get completely different stories but they'll all make sense. Of course, that show is funny enough where you can have no idea what's going on and you'd have to be dead to not find it funny.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I'm trying to fogure out who the 14 characters are with their own episodes.

Michael
George Michael
GOB
Lindsay
Tobias
Maebye
George
Lucille
Buster
Oscar(?)
Annyong(?)
Steve Holt (?)
Barry Zuckercorn(?)
Kitty(?)
Lucille II (?)
Ann (Her?)
Lupe?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, if they signed on Kristin Wiig to play young Lucille, I'm sure that's one of them.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:I know...I'm not sure how I feel about it. Apparently, you can watch them in any order you'd like and people will get completely different stories but they'll all make sense. Of course, that show is funny enough where you can have no idea what's going on and you'd have to be dead to not find it funny.
I think the one thing that is probably certain is that when I sit down to watch them, I'm just going to plan on having carved out about 8 or so hours.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I actually get a little depressed when I think about AD lasting for as short as it did. Not because I think I'm entitled to get as many seasons of it as possible but because I really think it's just a sad statement about our society, particularly in this country, when most people don't find that funny yet 2 1/2 Men can be the #1 sit-com in the country.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:I actually get a little depressed when I think about AD lasting for as short as it did. Not because I think I'm entitled to get as many seasons of it as possible but because I really think it's just a sad statement about our society, particularly in this country, when most people don't find that funny yet 2 1/2 Men can be the #1 sit-com in the country.
You can shut your brain off and watch most sitcoms these days. There was so much humor that wasn't explicit and laugh track driven in AD that I'm not surprised it didn't catch on.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Right...I'm not surprised either. I think that's the most depressing part of it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I used to watch this back in the day, but completely lost touch with it. I need to go buy DVDs or something, since I don't get Netflix.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

sancarlos wrote:I used to watch this back in the day, but completely lost touch with it. I need to go buy DVDs or something, since I don't get Netflix.

It'd be a lot cheaper to just get Netflix.

Do you mean that you don't register to Netflix or that you don't understand Netflix?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I've never signed up for Netflix. (I know - I oughta be in a museum.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I don't have Netflix either, SCK. I just download all my shit.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote:I've never signed up for Netflix. (I know - I oughta be in a museum.)
It really would be worth your while to just sign up for a couple of months. There are only about 50 episodes total to watch them all. Then have the account for when the new ones come out.

Your first month is free, too. So basically for about $24 bucks you could have the next four months and watch all of the old ones and the new ones when they come out. Cheaper than the DVDs for sure.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Wouldn't that just be like 8 bucks?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:Wouldn't that just be like 8 bucks?
Assuming AD does indeed come out in May as promised you can get away with just $8. And the worst case is probably $16. I'm not good at math today apparently.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Jerloma wrote:Wouldn't that just be like 8 bucks?
Assuming AD does indeed come out in May as promised you can get away with just $8. And the worst case is probably $16. I'm not good at math today apparently.
But then we'd have to tell him he should watch Breaking Bad while he still has it so make it another month.

Incidentally, I've gone through 75 episodes of Lost in about 3 weeks.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Jerloma wrote:Incidentally, I've gone through 75 episodes of Lost in about 3 weeks.
And you should stop right about there. Trust me.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Awww...does it get sucky? I hope it doesn't get sucky. Charlie finally died so I was looking forward not having to be annoyed by him every episode.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:Awww...does it get sucky? I hope it doesn't get sucky. Charlie finally died so I was looking forward not having to be annoyed by him every episode.
I thought the third season was the worst and seasons four through six were quite good. There are a lot of varying opinions on Lost though so your mileage will absolutely vary.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Dead people never come come back in Lost episodes.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, I know, right? Anyway, back on topic...

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

It's the Final Countdown! May 26th!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Really? Nothing? COME ON!

I'm six episodes in. First was kind of clunky, but probably needed to be. THe rest have been better each time. Might just be me beginning to get all the new running gags.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I don't think it's missed a beat and Kristin Wiig is absolutely amazing. She does Lucille better than Lucille!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

She is great in what I have seen so far. SNL people should be good at imitating others, though.
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

I have only seen the first one. Going to watch another 2 or 3 tonight with my friend before/after the Reds game. I thought the first was good, but I love the show so much the new eps good suck and I'd still be in denial.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Bensell wrote:…I love the show so much the new eps good suck and I'd still be in denial.
I get it. They could suck, but it would be good suck.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'm through 11 and am fully on board with the didn't miss a beat train. Some epically good stuff int here that they wouldn't have been able to pull off if season 4 had been right after season 3.

Hurwitz is a god!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AB_skin_test wrote:I'm through 11 and am fully on board with the didn't miss a beat train. Some epically good stuff int here that they wouldn't have been able to pull off if season 4 had been right after season 3.

Hurwitz is a god!
Did they make the entire season available immediately, or are they releasing them a few episodes at a time?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Entire season.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So, there are spoilers to follow so I'll change text color.

WTF with that ending? Set up for another season or for a movie? I'd be OK with either, of course. Episodes 2-14 were world class, and I actually expect when I go back and rewatch episode 1 I will be pleased with it as well.

They didn't pander to the internet community. No chicken dances (well, one half dance I suppose), few huge mistakes, few COME ON!s.

GOB's episodes were epic.

Overall, very pleased with anustart to the series.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Interview with Judy Greer and if you don't care about her experience on big budget movies, just skip towards the end and her experience throwing out the first pitch at a Dodgers game and the awesome Kitty Sanchez reference with A.J. Ellis.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Didn't know she is a Detroit gal. I've always liked her, but if I met her all I would want to ask about is Archer. Well, and The Hebrew Hammer.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

howard wrote:Didn't know she is a Detroit gal. I've always liked her, but if I met her all I would want to ask about is Archer. Well, and The Hebrew Hammer.
Yep, she actually went to high school with a friend of mine (and former fellow co-worker of Sabo's).
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote:
howard wrote:Didn't know she is a Detroit gal. I've always liked her, but if I met her all I would want to ask about is Archer. Well, and The Hebrew Hammer.
Yep, she actually went to high school with a friend of mine (and former fellow co-worker of Sabo's).
Which co-worker?
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote:
brian wrote:
Which co-worker?
Julie. They were the same class at a HS in Livonia.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Huh, didn't know that. Then again, I don't know why it would've come up at the time.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote:Huh, didn't know that. Then again, I don't know why it would've come up at the time.
Yeah, I very much doubt I knew who Judy Greer was back then.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Bateman doesn’t come off great here. Even if you believe Tambour’s denials RE: Transparent.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah his whole blithe “shit happens” vibe when you have an actress who has been in the industry for literally 50 years saying she’s never been treated as badly in her life as she was by Tambor seems like a real dick move.