Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Re: Better Call Saul thread (Spoilers)

Post by bfj »

[+] spoiler
Great episode.

This season finale was similar to last season’s. Last year you could see Kim’s shock as Jimmy turned into Saul. This year you (or maybe it was just me) could see Jimmy being blown away that Kim has it in her to go after and destroy Howard’s life.

Lalo’s pissed.

Nacho is fucked.
Odenkirk and Seahorn deserve awards IMO.
Last edited by bfj on Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I think I'm starting to see where they're taking it, which is far different than I set my expectations out to.
[+] spoiler
At the beginning I was convinced it would be something happening to Kim that caused Jimmy to truly lose his moral compass and fall down the path of SG. She was always the one who brought him back to center when he got took close to the edge, so I expected something to happen and give him a path to spiral out of control. But bit by bit Kim became more and more willing to follow Jimmy down the edge of the path. Now she's gonna pull him down with her, not the other way around. It really is brilliant writing.
I'm biased, but if Rhea Seehorn doesn't win an Emmy for this, it's a travesty. She's been amazing. Odenkirk is good, but Rhea commands the screen when she's on it.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

[+] spoiler
Absolutely amazing plot twist that it is Kim Wexler who really Broke Bad...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

[+] spoiler
And yet it's believable if you know her background. The poor girl who pulled herself up by her bootstraps to play the game right only to see rich assholes like Howard Hamlin (and probably the Mesa Verde guy) born into wealth get all of the advantages. Kim sees a lot of herself in Jimmy/Saul, which is why the relationship has always worked for me.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

[+] spoiler
I just loved how, in the early minutes of this final episode, shortly after they are in the hotel room, Kim said something like, "Can I put something on your shoulders, or would that hurt?" Phenomenal double meaning.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Completely agree Brian - it feels earned. God they do such a good job writing and running that show, and the acting choices are always sublime.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:27 am
[+] spoiler
And yet it's believable if you know her background. The poor girl who pulled herself up by her bootstraps to play the game right only to see rich assholes like Howard Hamlin (and probably the Mesa Verde guy) born into wealth get all of the advantages. Kim sees a lot of herself in Jimmy/Saul, which is why the relationship has always worked for me.
[+] spoiler
I think at one point when she and Jimmy were talking about what they'd do with the money her line was something along the lines of "give these people the kind of legal help that only rich people get".
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Um, guys, the thread title says Spoilers. You good.

:D
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:21 pm Um, guys, the thread title says Spoilers. You good.

:D
That’s what I thought. And then everyone posted their thoughts with the spoiler tag, so I followed. Baaaaa.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Hey Nonlinear:
[+] spoiler
Go fuck yourself.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Orange font, obvs.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:27 am
[+] spoiler
Kim has more of that Robin Hood spirit where Jimmy seems more practical and doing whatever he needs to do. This seems to be leading to Kim getting killed or going to jail, but I'm trying to figure out if Kim could have been apart of Jimmy's life during the Breaking Bad years -- probably a stretch, but I don't remember any reference to Jimmy's at home life during Breaking Bad. The current day scenes at the beginning of each season are so intriguing and such a tease, and it would be great to see a Kim/Jimmy reunion there.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Interesting take I found on Reddit.

EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

That's great. I love how Reddit people have the same ideas I'm playing with, but they actually remember everything and put way more thought and work into it.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:56 pm Hey Nonlinear:
[+] spoiler
Go fuck yourself.
Ha!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I think he's in Omaha...

(google)

yep
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Just finished it up today. Lalo is a baaaad man.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Man, Saul meeting back up with Kim at the end in Omaha (or somewhere else) is just perfect. I hadn't thought of that. It makes a lot of sense for why they've been showing those Omaha scenes.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:11 pm Man, Saul meeting back up with Kim at the end in Omaha (or somewhere else) is just perfect. I hadn't thought of that. It makes a lot of sense for why they've been showing those Omaha scenes.
I love that as an ending. I’ve always had the feeling Saul gets executed in Omaha, but man would I love that ending. A touch of beauty in a sick, dark world.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

i don’t remember all the Cinnabon scenes but do we ever see Saul at home or only at the mall? Maybe they’ve been together the whole time.

I’m thinking of his reaction to being spotted by the cabbie at the beginning of this season. He calls the vacuum guy to move and then changes his mind. Maybe he decides that instead of running he’ll stay with Kim.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Also never realized that the guy who plays Don Eladio was the guy who played Manny (Tony’s right hand) in Scarface.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

bfj wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:07 pm i don’t remember all the Cinnabon scenes but do we ever see Saul at home or only at the mall? Maybe they’ve been together the whole time.

I’m thinking of his reaction to being spotted by the cabbie at the beginning of this season. He calls the vacuum guy to move and then changes his mind. Maybe he decides that instead of running he’ll stay with Kim.
He went to his home in one scene. Looked like a short-term furnished style rental.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

tennbengal wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:12 pm
bfj wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:07 pm i don’t remember all the Cinnabon scenes but do we ever see Saul at home or only at the mall? Maybe they’ve been together the whole time.

He went to his home in one scene. Looked like a short-term furnished style rental.
I thought so, but wasn’t sure. I wonder if there is a cut scene of all the Gene openings out together.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Season 1 opens with Gene going home and watching his old commercials on tv.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Strange dream last night. I was having a conversation with Lalo Salamanca. He was vaguely threatening, and I woke up in a sweat.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:23 am Strange dream last night. I was having a conversation with Lalo Salamanca. He was vaguely threatening, and I woke up in a sweat.
I think Lalo's friendliest conversations are vaguely threatening.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Confirmation we will get Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul in the final season
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Juuuust finished up burning through 5 seasons on deployment here with everyone. We're amped for season 6. .

It's also cool to recognize places around ABQ too. Like the burned up Pollos Hermanos. I pass by it every day on the way to work. For weeks I was wondering what a pristine abandoned building is doing and what was going on. Then one day it looked like it was burned up. It was in the final episode of season 5 and I finally got to see why.

With the 'Big Bad' character of Lalo happening, I'm kinda bummed that Hamlin became such a loser so quickly. He deserves it for shitting on Kim, but he turned into a lost puppy after Chuck died.

I laughed at Mike offering a space blanket to Jimmy in the desert.

I'm sure it was brought up, but Kim rocking the Royals shirt all the time is because the Triple A affiliate is the Omaha Storm Chasers. And Gene is in Omaha. So it's definitely likely the series makes its way there for them to meet up after shit goes sideways in ABQ.

What a good series
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is amazing. An entire storyline spun from this random throwaway line.

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It's, I think, genius story-telling, Johnnie. Genius the right word.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Bob Odenkirk collapsed on the set of Better Call Saul.

There hasn't been an update in quite some time.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:01 am Bob Odenkirk collapsed on the set of Better Call Saul.

There hasn't been an update in quite some time.
Yeah. Really hard not to fear the worst now.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Given the ubiquity of the gossip-industrial complex in Hollywood, no news is probably good news.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:59 am Given the ubiquity of the gossip-industrial complex in Hollywood, no news is probably good news.
Counterpoint: the show is filmed in ABQ. Might be able to avoid gossip industrial complex.

Either way, hoping for the best for him.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah, hoping for mild heat stroke or something.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:13 am Yeah, hoping for mild heat stroke or something.
Hope it was just a bad burrito.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:46 am
brian wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:59 am Given the ubiquity of the gossip-industrial complex in Hollywood, no news is probably good news.
Counterpoint: the show is filmed in ABQ. Might be able to avoid gossip industrial complex.

Either way, hoping for the best for him.
There's probably a dozen people on the crew and staff of BCS who would leak any really bad news to TMZ for money or future favors or whatever. Unfortunately, that's how it works. In this case, it probably means he's being treated still/under observation and isn't in such a bad state to have an update available nor in such a good state for the same. Hate to speculate, but something like heat stroke or a heart attack seems likely, especially if he required an emergency bypass that could definitely take a few hours.

So all things considered, I'll maintain that no news is probably good news for the next few hours. Come later tonight, no update by then might be more troublesome. I guess I'm just hoping that he's getting patched up and will be on the road to recovery soon.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I blame HIPPA for this lack of transparency. I mean I totally deserve to know exactly what is going on with his private health information.

or a minimum Kevin Smith level of self description of a major health event.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It’s not a HIPPA violation to report if he’s (God forbid) dead. Another good-ish sign really.