Better Call Saul thread (Spoilers)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Better Call Saul thread (Spoilers)

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:10 pm It’s not a HIPPA violation to report if he’s (God forbid) dead. Another good-ish sign really.
Yeah, don't get me triggered with the Right's new "HIPPA violation" line of arguments. It's spread to my anti-vaxx family members' Facebook already. We deal heavily in HIPAA at my company (just completed my annual training and passed my mandatory test!) and this blatant misuse of the privacy rights drives me insane. MJT might just be stupid enough to think she is correctly applying HIPPA, I'm just not sure which is worse, a Member of Congress willfully lying to fire up their base to wrongfully push a catastrophic agenda of keeping people from getting vaccinated against a global pandemic, or a Member of Congress so epically fucking stupid she misunderstands a statute that horribly.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

MTG?

Also, it's HIPAA, not HIPPA. That's become one of my pet peeves lately with all of the knobheads bringing it up as a defense.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Word is he's conscious and stable now from what I am seeing on twitter. "Heart-related". Apparently could have been a lot worse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:14 pm MTG?

Also, it's HIPAA, not HIPPA. That's become one of my pet peeves lately with all of the knobheads bringing it up as a defense.
Ha, yeah, that's what I meant. I think I went with MarJorie Taylor and left off the Greene.

Glad I got HIPAA right. I was thinking I missed that too when you wrote this.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Fine, I'll say it

Gunna be s'all good, man.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:49 pm

Ha, yeah, that's what I meant. I think I went with MarJorie Taylor and left off the Greene.

You did it both ways. You're half right!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:27 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:49 pm

You did it both ways. You're half right!
Fuck, I suck. I’d say I put in in quotes and intentionally got it wrong quoting morons, but I got it wrong a second time.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Don't feel bad. When I was deployed the medical squadron's tent used the wrong acronym too on their sign in sheet.

I pointed it out to the help desk. They knew it was wrong, but wanted to leave it to see who could point it out -- from their own squadron. Kinda funny.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Great first episode. I had to watch it over two nights because I wasn't expecting it to be movie length! Loved it though.

But can someone remind me why Saul and Kim are working so hard to frame Howard? I know that he's smarmy and they don't like him, but is there more than that?
Totally Kafkaesque
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Shirley wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:10 pm Great first episode. I had to watch it over two nights because I wasn't expecting it to be movie length! Loved it though.

But can someone remind me why Saul and Kim are working so hard to frame Howard? I know that he's smarmy and they don't like him, but is there more than that?
I think pure revenge now, if I recall correctly.

Here's the season 5 Howard synopsis - it's a Kim thing:
Howard encounters Jimmy at the courthouse, now practicing under the name Saul Goodman. Howard informs Jimmy that Hamlin, Hamlin and McGill's recovery is still strong, and that the firm has been restored to profitability. He invites Jimmy to lunch, where he apologizes for the firm's past treatment of Jimmy and offers him a position at HHM. Jimmy is visibly unsettled by the reminder of his past.[18] He begins to harass Howard, including using bowling balls to vandalize Howard's expensive car,[19] and prostitutes to disrupt Howard's business lunch with Clifford Main.[20] Howard later realizes that Jimmy is behind the harassment and rescinds the job offer. Jimmy lashes out at Howard, blaming him for Chuck's death and claiming that as Saul Goodman, he has grown too big for the constraints of a job at HHM.[21]

When Howard sees Kim at the courthouse, she tells him she quit Schweikart and Cokely and her work for Mesa Verde Bank so that she can concentrate on pro bono criminal defense cases. Howard tells Kim about Jimmy's recent harassment campaign against him and blames Jimmy for Kim's decision. Kim laughs at Howard, says she is insulted by the idea that she cannot decide for herself, and tells Howard that she knows Jimmy better than he does. Howard angrily replies that Chuck knew Jimmy better than anyone else. That evening, Kim tells Jimmy about her meeting with Howard and initially suggests continuing to harass him. Her idea evolves into a serious plan to sabotage Howard and force a resolution of the Sandpiper case, which will enable Jimmy to obtain his seven-figure share of the expected settlement sooner. Jimmy counsels against it, but Kim shows that she is serious about undermining Howard
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This series is so fucking good.

And the delivery in this scene was A+:
[+] spoiler
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It was as good as it gets for acting. Writing. All of it. So damn good.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:15 am It was as good as it gets for acting. Writing. All of it. So damn good.
Don’t forget cinematography. Just so amazingly shot. The first scene this season at Jimmy’s house. Just perfect angles, pacing, choreography of the talent, and the instrumental of “Wine & Roses”. Just master craftsmanship.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, that was an incredible episode. I hated how it went down for Nacho, but I liked that they didn't give him an easy out. There's really no way out of something like that.
Totally Kafkaesque
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck…
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:06 pm Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck…
[+] spoiler
Fuck Kim and Jimmy. They are both horrible people.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bfj wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:35 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:06 pm Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck…
[+] spoiler
Fuck Kim and Jimmy. They are both horrible people.
[+] spoiler
As far as, Jimmy goes, I had no illusions that the future drug lord attorney who suggests murder as a viable problem solution might have an evil dirty trick or two up his sleeve. Maybe he’ll get more likeable again later this season?

But that last scene, when Lalo shows up - as Ljam said…
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

[+] spoiler
What makes the show is that NONE of the characters gets to be "the good guy." Even Kim. Even fucking Kim. Like... She had a chance to go to a lunch to set up a firm/foundation/whatever to help underserved clients, and that's the choice she made. Jimmy has always been a known commodity, but Kim floated in this nether world of possibly being a good person and... What she did to Howard was just so incredibly fucked up. And as Howard said in that final scene.. Why, really? I was having trouble figuring that out too, honestly. Howard nailed it... They just get off on the thrill of conning and fucking people over.

Pretty gross, really.

But I'm here for it. This isn't fucking Parenthood or Gilmore Girls.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Just got around to watching the last 2 episodes back to back. Holy fuck this show is so good.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

FUCK.

I am distraught.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I keep having a problem with the paralegal for HHM. Issue is she was the Exec Assistant in Mythic Quest (Apple+ show that can be described as Everything Sunny x The Office....which I like) and her acting range is pretty limited.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:47 am I keep having a problem with the paralegal for HHM. Issue is she was the Exec Assistant in Mythic Quest (Apple+ show that can be described as Everything Sunny x The Office....which I like) and her acting range is pretty limited.
THANK YOU. It has been bugging me her entire run. The over-earnest, slightly awkward... seems like there's a hint of evil under the surface... And that last bit is only justified from her Mythic Quest character.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:49 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:47 am I keep having a problem with the paralegal for HHM. Issue is she was the Exec Assistant in Mythic Quest (Apple+ show that can be described as Everything Sunny x The Office....which I like) and her acting range is pretty limited.
THANK YOU. It has been bugging me her entire run. The over-earnest, slightly awkward... seems like there's a hint of evil under the surface... And that last bit is only justified from her Mythic Quest character.
You all talking about Erin? The one who was operating the conference call phone system? She's a young atty with Ed Begley's character's firm. She was around a lot when Jimmy was there that season before he got himself fired. They've written her perfectly. Just a perfect encapsulation of an eager young attorney who thinks they know more than they do.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

tennbengal wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:54 am
You all talking about Erin? The one who was operating the conference call phone system? She's a young atty with Ed Begley's character's firm. She was around a lot when Jimmy was there that season before he got himself fired. They've written her perfectly. Just a perfect encapsulation of an eager young attorney who thinks they know more than they do.
The part where she was trying to explain the discovery process to the class representatives. I've certainly seen that before (and thankfully never had done that myself.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:56 am
The part where she was trying to explain the discovery process to the class representatives. I've certainly seen that before (and thankfully never had done that myself.
Full cringe, IFKYK.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

tennbengal wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:05 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:56 am
Full cringe, IFKYK.
Just IMDB'd her....did not realize she was in Veep and the Flight Attendant. Must have some talent...
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I wasn't complaining about her acting, I'm saying her character on Mythic Quest is fucking up the prism I view her on BCS. It's totally a me thing.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Finally caught up last night. Man, what a final episode. Lalo is such an amazing antagonist. It's funny how in BCS we're on Gus's side while he's such a good bad guy in BB.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:44 pm Finally caught up last night. Man, what a final episode. Lalo is such an amazing antagonist. It's funny how in BCS we're on Gus's side while he's such a good bad guy in BB.
It’s almost too bad we know how Gus v Lalo is going to turn out.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:49 pm
Shirley wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:44 pm Finally caught up last night. Man, what a final episode. Lalo is such an amazing antagonist. It's funny how in BCS we're on Gus's side while he's such a good bad guy in BB.
Do we tho? We know how Gus goes out. And Mike. But do we know what they had in motion against lalo when the element that was Walter white entered the equation? I feel like lalo very well survives the end of Gus and is in play for Cinnabon Saul in Nebraska…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:06 pm
brian wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:49 pm
Do we tho? We know how Gus goes out. And Mike. But do we know what they had in motion against lalo when the element that was Walter white entered the equation? I feel like lalo very well survives the end of Gus and is in play for Cinnabon Saul in Nebraska…
I mean maybe sure. But seems like a pretty big cheat to have the rest of the Salamanca family so important to Breaking Bad while Lalo is just chilling in Costa Rica for or wherever for all that time?

Also Gus getting the better of Lalo helps explain the intense bad blood between Hector and Gus in BB. Up to now, as much of a miserable prick as Hector might be the kind of intense hate that would lead him to take Gus out like he does isn’t really there.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

No discussion of the most recent episode? I didn't expect Lalo to be dispatched so soon, but there's a LOT of threads left to be tied up in six more episodes, not the least of which is the ultimate fate of Cinnabon Saul.

Great tweet alert:

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Another great episode. LOL'd that Mike chided Fring at the end, when it was him who Lalo outsmarted. Lalo was a great character. All those Salamancas are.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:45 pm Another great episode. LOL'd that Mike chided Fring at the end, when it was him who Lalo outsmarted. Lalo was a great character. All those Salamancas are.
DING
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

<~~~ Not OK
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I hope to see a number of these actors starting to pop up more and more in the coming years. Just brilliant all around, but I want Howard and Lalo to get gigs on more shows/movies. I see the Fring guy EVERYWHERE now, and that's great, but so many of these actors are just brilliant and I hope we're not done seeing them work.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Giancarlo Esposito has been around forever. He was Buggin Out all the way back in 1989. But I definitely hear you man.

Very happy to see Rhea Seehorn finally get an Emmy nom.