Better Call Saul thread (Spoilers)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: Better Call Saul thread

Post by tennbengal »

I think next season, yes. The quote from that link (HitFix is awesome site btw):
It was never the intention for Gus to be in that episode. And to take it a step further, people should not assume in any way, shape, or form that they'll see Gus in the first episode of next season. It's possible they will. It's also possible, if not more possible, they won't.
Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watchi ... CHIMj8D.99
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote:
I think next season, yes. The quote from that link (HitFix is awesome site btw):
It was never the intention for Gus to be in that episode. And to take it a step further, people should not assume in any way, shape, or form that they'll see Gus in the first episode of next season. It's possible they will. It's also possible, if not more possible, they won't.
Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watchi ... CHIMj8D.99
From their discussion on Talking Saul, I don't know if Gilligan and Gould know what they are going to do with Frings. He has to be involved in some way, I'd imagine. I'm not sure G&G even know who left the note.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I just (finally) watched the finale. I learned here catching up about the Gus Fring easter egg. Interesting. I do think it's a bit of an unfortunate deux ex machina though. One way it might make sense is if Gus found out about Mike from the gun dealer. It's also possible that Nacho is a Fring spy and alerted him to Mike and what he's been up to. It may be that Gus then decided that Mike would be very valuable to him and didn't want him to risk getting himself killed trying to take out Gus.

FWIW, I didn't think Chuck's setup of Jimmy was that obvious. While he's been a consistent ass to Jimmy, that kind of sneakery, particularly involving a piece of electronics, was pretty surprising.

Great show.
Totally Kafkaesque
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Shirley wrote:FWIW, I didn't think Chuck's setup of Jimmy was that obvious.
What tipped me off, there was a scene about ten minutes before, Chuck went into his garage. It was cluttered with common household electrical appliances, a blender, lamps, etc. and Chuck was rummaging around looking for something. I wondered, 'what electric device could he possibly want' and guessed tape recorder.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

howard wrote:
What tipped me off, there was a scene about ten minutes before, Chuck went into his garage. It was cluttered with common household electrical appliances, a blender, lamps, etc. and Chuck was rummaging around looking for something. I wondered, 'what electric device could he possibly want' and guessed tape recorder.

Yeah, this is what made it seem not all that surprising. What was the point of that scene, if not setting up the... setup. I didn't mentally go towards guessing exactly what it was, but it had me on alert that he was up to something "out of character."
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

howard wrote:
Yup, good call. See, I was watching that scene expecting him to drop his lamp and start a fire.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote:
howard wrote:
Yup, good call. See, I was watching that scene expecting him to drop his lamp and start a fire.
When I saw that scene, I thought it was an insight into Chuck's ailment being bullcrap, especially in light of the scene at their mother's passing where he was fine at the hospital.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Shirley wrote:
howard wrote:
When I saw that scene, I thought it was an insight into Chuck's ailment being bullcrap, especially in light of the scene at their mother's passing where he was fine at the hospital.
The scene in the hospital was likely well before the ailment "struck". I think there's an argument to be made that it's all in his head obviously, but he was "fine" for 50+ years before. (I personally think it might have happened very, very soon after his mother dies, which we might find out in a subsequent season.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Taste the family!

Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Eagerly awaiting y'all complaining about Giancarlo Esposito looking "too old" to play Gus Fring.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Better than not having him! Same for Mike. Inherent issue with prequels, eh?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote:Better than not having him! Same for Mike. Inherent issue with prequels, eh?

Apparently
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If it weren't for having to take leave to be an extra in a movie (unless it's through the Public Affairs office and filming is on base), I'd be all over it. Instead, I'm only in the capacity to read about it. :(

Ya know, I could've asked the guy to put in a good word for me back in August but forgot:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I really enjoy the three different versions of smiles in that photo.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

So...fucking...slow...still.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:So...fucking...slow...still.
Don't care. I agree with the AV Club.
Meet with the “vet” with his underworld connections, buy a device of your own, drain the battery on the one on your 1987 Chevy Caprice, wait for the owner to show up in the dead of night to replace it, turn on your tracker and follow him as he carries away the one you planted instead. Bing bang boom. That’s 20 unimpeachable minutes of television, with maybe half a page of dialogue, tops. I’d watch Mike work for the full hour, no complaints.
Fargo and BCS are the two best shows on TV.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:

Huzzah!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

brian wrote:
Meet with the “vet” with his underworld connections, buy a device of your own, drain the battery on the one on your 1987 Chevy Caprice, wait for the owner to show up in the dead of night to replace it, turn on your tracker and follow him as he carries away the one you planted instead. Bing bang boom. That’s 20 unimpeachable minutes of television, with maybe half a page of dialogue, tops. I’d watch Mike work for the full hour, no complaints.
It took so long that I lost interest and stopped caring about what he was even doing.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Mike McKean' s right thumb is gnarly.

The captain's uniform, as best I could tell, was spot on accurate. Epaulettes were correct. Pilot wings correct and half an inch above the left pocket. Correct flight cap. Didn't have a non military haircut. Shirt was clearly pressed. Maybe his tie was a bit long, but they even captured the douchey pilot attitude. Excellent detail.

I also liked seeing the Railyards as a set. I was just there last weekend!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I loved the subtle way Gus was introduced with that blurriness over Jimmy's shoulder in the restaurant.

After two episodes I'm more invested in Mike's storyline than Jimmy's. There's less mystery with Jimmy's storyline. He's going to fuck up massively and Kim moves to Omaha.

Seeing Mike become Gus's consigliere/hitman is much more interesting.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That was one brutal hour of television.
[+] spoiler
Knew it was coming, but seeing the way Jimmy engineered it so that Chuck is the instrument of his own demise.
Devastating.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The return of Huell!!
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote:That was one brutal hour of television.
[+] spoiler
Knew it was coming, but seeing the way Jimmy engineered it so that Chuck is the instrument of his own demise.
Devastating.
Just brilliant acting and writing. Really, all of it.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It was one of the more satisfying hours of TV for sure.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Bump.

I thought that was a spectacular season 3. Also, I got an HHM mug for Father's Day, which is making me happier in my office these mornings.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

You should've got a 'World's Second Greatest Lawyer' mug. Just keepin' it real. (Second is really, really good)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Renewed for a 4th season.

Ok, I'm seriously going to have to find a way on this show as an extra.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Fucking awesome. I love this show. Nice opener to season 4.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, it was a great episode and I'm more and more convinced the show is going to one day end in Omaha in "present day". Sepinwall noted that the actor who played in the taxi driver who may or may not have recognized Gene/Saul in the cold open is played by a character actor who usually does bigger roles than 30 seconds with no lines, so take that for whatever it's worth. Seems unlikely the producers would bring in a guy like that for the bit he did in S4, E1 only.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yeah, saw that in Sepinwall's recap too. Kinda made me giddy.

For those who don't read Sepinwall's recaps, they are excellent. He's with Rolling Stone now, and here is his take on the season opener:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-reca ... ke-706456/
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:33 am Yeah, it was a great episode and I'm more and more convinced the show is going to one day end in Omaha in "present day". Sepinwall noted that the actor who played in the taxi driver who may or may not have recognized Gene/Saul in the cold open is played by a character actor who usually does bigger roles than 30 seconds with no lines, so take that for whatever it's worth. Seems unlikely the producers would bring in a guy like that for the bit he did in S4, E1 only.
Not sure how many shows have the balls to do an opening type scene (the part in ABQ) that is three minutes of the main characters waking up and making coffee. BrBa and now Saul, those shows are the masters of the slow burn and scene setting that doesn't feel like a waste of space.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I just watched the new episode on DVR. Man, it's good to have it back.

I've been avoiding this thread until I watched it. I also loved the black and white present day open.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:19 pm I just watched the new episode on DVR. Man, it's good to have it back.

I've been avoiding this thread until I watched it. I also loved the black and white present day open.
Finally got my chance to watch the episode and came here to say everything that’s already been said. Very glad it is back.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Just watched it and really enjoyed it as well. I'm glad I read that Rolling Stone recap linked above. I had forgotten about Jimmy's meeting with the insurance company. That memory completely changes the meaning of that last scene.

(And give me Ali over Lee, even in a street fight. Sure, he was a trained boxer, but he was also one of the best ever, had about 100 lbs on Lee, and I'm sure he was in a street fight or two in his life.)
Totally Kafkaesque
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

everytime mike speaks i swear im hearing george carlin
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A nice refresher on how decisive Gus is when he makes a move...

Also, the Kim scene with Howard was tremendous. She's a superb actress.

Sepinwall's recap/review of Episode 2:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-reca ... he-709778/
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:17 am So...fucking...slow...still.
I'm actually starting to fall into this camp. I'm going to stick it out for now, but I watched the first ep last night and I was on my phone playing a game for 45 minutes. It's a mindless game, so I'm listening to all of it, but geez louise it can get ponderous.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Better Call Saul thread (Spoilers)

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Given how much Gilligan and Gould have talked about the importance of the Cinnabon Gene era to give Saul’s story its proper conclusion, I wouldn’t be the least bit shocked by a sixth season or if the show even went beyond that.
No.

If this show smells like it's going 7 seasons or more, I'm out. Wrap it up and move on to the next awesome project.

ETA - Meaning I'll wait for the thing to end and come back to it later.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:30 am
I'm actually starting to fall into this camp. I'm going to stick it out for now, but I watched the first ep last night and I was on my phone playing a game for 45 minutes. It's a mindless game, so I'm listening to all of it, but geez louise it can get ponderous.
Still feel that way? That was a nice slow burn up to when Gus did Gus things.

That episode was brilliantly acted. Every piece of it was excellent. Mike's no bullshit talk with Lydia, Jimmy's pitch at the copier store, and Kim laying into Howard with no mercy.

I think that was the best episode of the series.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:15 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:30 am
Still feel that way? That was a nice slow burn up to when Gus did Gus things.

That episode was brilliantly acted. Every piece of it was excellent. Mike's no bullshit talk with Lydia, Jimmy's pitch at the copier store, and Kim laying into Howard with no mercy.

I think that was the best episode of the series.
If we're talking Ep2, I haven't seen it yet.

I will also admit that I was in a crap mood when I watched Ep1, almost feel like watching it over again.