Better Call Saul thread (Spoilers)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Better Call Saul thread

Post by sancarlos »

Just watched episode 4. I've been focused on watching Jimmy's progression to becoming Saul, and it's good to see Mike's progression as well. We know Kim wasn't in Breaking Bad, so I fear a bad end coming for her.

I wonder if this is the last season of Better Call Saul? At some point, this prequel has to run into BB. Can't see more than one more season being possible.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

sancarlos wrote:Just watched episode 4. I've been focused on watching Jimmy's progression to becoming Saul, and it's good to see Mike's progression as well. We know Kim wasn't in Breaking Bad, so I fear a bad end coming for her.

I wonder if this is the last season of Better Call Saul? At some point, this prequel has to run into BB. Can't see more than one more season being possible.
They've already established that this is several years before BB. They could dive into the development of Saul once he makes his "change".

The callbacks are such great treats for BB fans. The same guy that shows Mike the rifles is the guy that sells Walt both his .38 and the M60 for the finale.

Mike clearly has Marine sniper experience that is alluded to in BCS, and says in an episode of BB while on the phone with Walt, "don't worry, I could kill you from all the way over here if I wanted to."

My fear is that at some point they have to write Johnathan Banks out because it is going to become less and less believable as a prequel due to his age.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

BSF21 wrote:
sancarlos wrote:Just watched episode 4. I've been focused on watching Jimmy's progression to becoming Saul, and it's good to see Mike's progression as well. We know Kim wasn't in Breaking Bad, so I fear a bad end coming for her.

They've already established that this is several years before BB. They could dive into the development of Saul once he makes his "change".

The callbacks are such great treats for BB fans. The same guy that shows Mike the rifles is the guy that sells Walt both his .38 and the M60 for the finale.

Mike clearly has Marine sniper experience that is alluded to in BCS, and says in an episode of BB while on the phone with Walt, "don't worry, I could kill you from all the way over here if I wanted to."

My fear is that at some point they have to write Johnathan Banks out because it is going to become less and less believable as a prequel due to his age.
I have no problem accepting that he will look older than what he is in Breaking Bad - not sure why people get hung up on that...
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

They could have Walt shoot Mike, oh wait…

I think we're gonna just have to suspend disbelief when in comes to Mike/Jonathan Bank and age. And I'm cool with that. The makeup and hair to adjust Jimmy/Saul's age with the various flashbacks fell short of ideal, but it's ok. I saw an interview with Odenkirk recently, it looks like he got the Wayne Rooney plugs.

Is Jimmy/Saul gonna represent Tuco and keep him out of prison? Nacho survives (presumably) into the second season of BB, he is mentioned by name but not shown. The Nacho vs Tuco story should continue to be a lot of fun.

I'm afraid I know the answer but do big time law firms treat their associates as badly as HHM treat Kim? Shit happens through zero fault of hers, a client walks and she loses her desk ('sent to the cornfield'); Jimmy withholds info from her and she gets a huge pile of shit work. Just when I get to like Howard, I want to call him a pigfucker again ("that should help".)

Man I love this show.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

howard wrote:They could have Walt shoot Mike, oh wait…

I think we're gonna just have to suspend disbelief when in comes to Mike/Jonathan Bank and age. And I'm cool with that. The makeup and hair to adjust Jimmy/Saul's age with the various flashbacks fell short of ideal, but it's ok. I saw an interview with Odenkirk recently, it looks like he got the Wayne Rooney plugs.

Is Jimmy/Saul gonna represent Tuco and keep him out of prison? Nacho survives (presumably) into the second season of BB, he is mentioned by name but not shown. The Nacho vs Tuco story should continue to be a lot of fun.

I'm afraid I know the answer but do big time law firms treat their associates as badly as HHM treat Kim? Shit happens through zero fault of hers, a client walks and she loses her desk ('sent to the cornfield'); Jimmy withholds info from her and she gets a huge pile of shit work. Just when I get to like Howard, I want to call him a pigfucker again ("that should help".)

Man I love this show.
It's hard to say on the last part - they are not a HUGE firm, but probably big by New Mexico standards. Busting a senior associate to doc review is better than being fired. Taking her office is petty, but I don't think that's what happened in last episode like it did last year, I thought she just wasn't there and was working in their basement war room because that's where the documents were. Guess I am saying the small big firm nature of HHM might lend itself to more personal punishments. Dunno.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Even if BCS runs five or six seasons I don't think Banks is going to look THAT much older than he did during BB. He was already a pretty old guy to start and it's not like his hairline is an issue. You'd be surprised what makeup and prosthetics can do.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

brian wrote:Even if BCS runs five or six seasons I don't think Banks is going to look THAT much older than he did during BB. He was already a pretty old guy to start and it's not like his hairline is an issue. You'd be surprised what makeup and prosthetics can do.

He's right. I'm actually a skinny gentile.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Mike does look really old to me and it's a bit distracting. He clearly comes across as an old man, but in BB, he still seemed like a total badass who could kick your ass if he wanted to. That's nearly as believable now (and it's at least a few years before the beginning of BB). Still, I love his character.

In general, this show is really interesting. It moves very slowly, but yet because we all know where Mike and Jimmy/Saul end up, it seems like a slow burn more than just a boring plotline. I suspect it wouldn't be nearly as interesting without already knowing where it's headed. Well written and acted, sure, but probably not interesting enough to follow. But here we are. Great stuff.
Totally Kafkaesque
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

wrt last nights episode.

1. Lots of Kim. I like. It's often said, but rarely with such agreement from me: Fuck Howard!

2. dingdingdingdingdingdingding!

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote:Mike does look really old to me and it's a bit distracting. He clearly comes across as an old man, but in BB, he still seemed like a total badass who could kick your ass if he wanted to. That's nearly as believable now (and it's at least a few years before the beginning of BB). Still, I love his character.

In general, this show is really interesting. It moves very slowly, but yet because we all know where Mike and Jimmy/Saul end up, it seems like a slow burn more than just a boring plotline. I suspect it wouldn't be nearly as interesting without already knowing where it's headed. Well written and acted, sure, but probably not interesting enough to follow. But here we are. Great stuff.
I still can't get past Mike's appearance/age. I feel like it's an enormous energy strain for him to do anything, and those deep sighs don't help. I loved the character in BB, and seeing the character develop is some of the best TV ever. I am trying really hard to ignore his appearance, but I can't get passed it. I find I keep reminding myself to imagine Jimmy is 15-20 years younger than he looks. How old is he supposed to be, anyways? Again, the writing is fantastic, great character in BB and watching his evolution or devolution into Saul is brilliant.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

SPOILER FROM THIS WEEK!

Kim Wexler is a KC Royals fan!

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Super sleepier fan theory I read on the internet:

The Royals Triple A affiliate is in Omaha. So this *could* be some deep foreshadowing, not just a lovely sleep shirt.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

That actually crossed my mind. I have been trying to remember if Saul picked Omaha when he fled and decided he must have - so absolutely may be linked.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Go Storm Chasers!

I don't remember Saul picking Omaha, but I do remember him in BB telling Jesse that the relocation service does allow a choice (Jesse mentions Alaska, before he changes his mind about leaving, and comes back and kicks Saul's ass.)

My own favorite bit of fan speculation, which I am guilty of perpetrating, is regarding the story Chuck told Kim about Jimmy slowly pilfering $14,000 from their father's store. Maybe that cash ended up paying Chuck's law school tuition at Georgetown (if Chuck is really fucking old, for tuition to have been that cheap.)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

This was just excellent TV...

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

red orange yellow green blue lavender indigo.

This may occasion a post about the musician who provided that tune, Dennis Coffey. White guitarist who performed on many Motown hits, like Cloud 9, Ball of Confusion and others.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Can someone explain to me why Mike is fucking with Hector?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I think it was just to get the money to move his daughter-in-law and granddaughter after the twins showed up, threatening his granddaughter.

Hector is not running to the police when he gets ripped off. And, should Mike happen to get killed by Hector and his guys (obviously, he doesn't), there is no reason for his granddaughter to be in harm's way any longer. The removal of the threat against his granddaughter eliminates the downside of getting caught ripping him off, but Mike has the time, patience, and intellect to plan things out well to reduce that downside, anyway.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

So does Mike not realize that he's nothing to Hector?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Jerloma wrote:Can someone explain to me why Mike is fucking with Hector?
Same reason Willie Sutton robbed banks.
Jerloma wrote:So does Mike not realize that he's nothing to Hector?
As he replied when Nacho told him, "(Hector) doesn't even remember you." "I sure remember him." Plus, just because Nacho said that Mike is nothing to Hector, it is not necessarily so.

I wonder how Mike is gonna give Hector a stroke.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

howard wrote:
As he replied when Nacho told him, "(Hector) doesn't even remember you." "I sure remember him." Plus, just because Nacho said that Mike is nothing to Hector, it is not necessarily so.

I'd imagine that hose he was drilling holes in has something to do with it.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

bfj wrote:
howard wrote:

You didn't see the last episode, did you?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Jerloma wrote:
bfj wrote:
howard wrote:

You didn't see the last episode, did you?
I did. Was that what he dragged across the road?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yup.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Thanks. I was half watching when I watched that scene. I just figured a guy who could find a sniper rifle might have a contact for a set of road spikes.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That was a damn good episode. I'm seeing the symmetry with this and Breaking Bad. Jimmy (Walter White) slowly driving Kim (Jesse) into a dark spiral. The scene in the copy store was akin to Walter watching Jane die. Sure, he should help and blow his cover, but that would make him wrong and Jimmy isn't wrong.

This really makes me think that something bad happens to Kim.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, that shit was intense.

The scene in bed, where Kim basically paints Jimmy a picture "No loose ends" was pretty awesome. I mean, the acting going on with this show is just amazing. You could see in that scene where she DECIDES that she is going to fight Chuck on his claims... She said the words, but before she did, there was a switch on her face that showed that slight bit of turmoil and then BAM... Lowered the boom and showed Chuck how ugly it would be for his reputation to try and make this case.

Even the 24 hour printing guy was great in that role.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
That French Guy
Maude Lebowski

Post by That French Guy »

Kim Wexler is a fantastic character. I love her intraction with Jimmy (that scene a few épisodes back where she doesn’t want to go to work before he calls her to sing on her machine,the double thumbs up, the Chuck scene and so many others ) but i'm so dreading the moment where we ll learn that Whatever turned Jimmy into saul is because he fucked up her career, I m cringing weeks/months ahead.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Man... I think we have a pretty good idea of exactly what causes the Jimmy-->Saul transformation now. And likely what pushes Kim out of the mix, too. And the thing is, Jimmy could've committed the guy and just been done with the whole thing. But, and here's the painful part... Jimmy's a nice guy. He feels an obligation to Chuck, despite what his brother had done to him (repeatedly.)

BTW, they tipped this plot point last week (or the week before) when he pretty much confessed to Chuck but said it was his word against Jimmy's. And, of course, Kim put it that way rather starkly.

So, I guess before we vilify Chuck, which is what you're kind of inclined to do... They were trying to fuck Chuck over and then kind of taunted him, or at least that could be Chuck's perception.

And WTF with the tree branch on the car horn. I can never remember the guys name... Hector? I don't recall, was he down there with the driver and Tuco and the cousins???
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote:And WTF with the tree branch on the car horn. I can never remember the guys name... Hector? I don't recall, was he down there with the driver and Tuco and the cousins???
If you take the first letter of every episode this season it makes an anagram for
[+] spoiler
FRINGSBACK
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Man... I think we have a pretty good idea of exactly what causes the Jimmy-->Saul transformation now. And likely what pushes Kim out of the mix, too. And the thing is, Jimmy could've committed the guy and just been done with the whole thing. But, and here's the painful part... Jimmy's a nice guy. He feels an obligation to Chuck, despite what his brother had done to him (repeatedly.)

BTW, they tipped this plot point last week (or the week before) when he pretty much confessed to Chuck but said it was his word against Jimmy's. And, of course, Kim put it that way rather starkly.

So, I guess before we vilify Chuck, which is what you're kind of inclined to do... They were trying to fuck Chuck over and then kind of taunted him, or at least that could be Chuck's perception.

And WTF with the tree branch on the car horn. I can never remember the guys name... Hector? I don't recall, was he down there with the driver and Tuco and the cousins???
Last point - Nacho was down with the Salamancas. Pretty clearly, that move and the simple "don't" note was Gus Fring. In fact, if you anagram the first letters of the 10 episode titles you get "Frings Back" (per someone with a ton of time on their hands on Reddit) and Gilligan has apparently confirmed that person unlocked that easter egg. The branch and note is totally Gus's style.

Jimmy pissed me off last night - simply because he couldn't see what a ham-handed entrapment that was by Chuck. So clear that he was setting Jimmy up - he should have seen it coming. Here's the thing, I don't know New Mexico law circa whatever late 90s early 2000s year the show is set in, but taping someone without their knowledge may in and of itself be a crime (state specific), and perhaps Chuck is mad enough to do something unethical himself. Something happens to transform Jimmy to Saul, maybe a negotiation post-tape that he give up the family name? And that Kim give Mesa Verde back? Fuck Chuck.

What a great show. Gilligan is so good at this.
Last edited by tennbengal on Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I am assuming all discussions in here are kinda spoilery, so I am not using the spoil function.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Agreed, but since it's just speculation I decided to spoiler tag it. I don't think it's a big deal either way.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So it looks like we get Gus for season 3 - waiting on Huell (sp?) for Jimmy/Saul (he hires him in season 4 of BB but maybe he knew him before that? - fingers crossed) and wondering if we get Lydia back in the Saul series too at some point.

Also wondering how Gus got onto Mike to know his work and stay his hand.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Thanks guys... That's the type of stuff I like to read about after the fact, either here or on some of the recap articles.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

tennbengal wrote:…perhaps Chuck is mad enough to do something unethical himself.
Chuck has his image of himself, as supremely ethical, and most other characters, including Jimmy share this image. But, it is not at all a true image. As the flashback vignette at the beginning of the last episode illustrated, Chuck is not above lying for his own purposed. As the list of events whereby Chuck sabotages Jimmy's fledgling career as a lawyer, trying to work at JMM, Chuck repeatedly lies and, to coin a phrase, ratfucks Jimmy.

In the first episode of the show, when Jimmy knocks on the door of Tuco's abuela, Jimmy represents himself as 'an officer of the court, open up in the name of the law!' Technically true, but a dishonest attempt to represent himself as a policeman. Chuck commits this same artifice at the copy shop. And Jimmy, the great con man, falls victim to a great con perpetrated by dear brother Chuck. There is a lot more of Slipin' Jimmy's character in Chuck than he would ever admit, but it's laid out for us beautifully.

I had the exact same question when the tape recorder was revealed, was that an illegal act in New Mexico at the time? Bengal, please get a paralegal or junior associate on that.
Also wondering how Gus got onto Mike to know his work and stay his hand.
Maybe Gus and Nacho have hooked up. I don't think Nacho's position shielding Hector from the line of fire was accidental; I have to assume there are at least two people, Nacho and someone else, both on the scene acting to prevent Mike from killing Hector. Fring's motive is most likely because he wants his revenge on Hector.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Also wondering how Gus got onto Mike to know his work and stay his hand.
Given his enmity for the Salamancas (as established in BB flashbacks), it's entirely possible he had people on Hector as well and stumbled across Mike watching him.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Doc - a quick check of the googles tells me that in New Mexico okay to tape if one party knows of it (i.e., chuck) BUT whether that would be admissible in various courts appears to vary from court to court. Not sure if the googles is on point on this question.

Also, Doc, I agree that Chuck does plenty of questionable/unethical shit, but he perceives himself as being completely ethical, so it is dubious to me that he would tape if it was NOT okay to to do so under New Mexico law.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote:
tennbengal wrote: Also wondering how Gus got onto Mike to know his work and stay his hand.
Given his enmity for the Salamancas (as established in BB flashbacks), it's entirely possible he had people on Hector as well and stumbled across Mike watching him.
That is true.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »