Cultural Blind Spots

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Cultural Blind Spots

Post by A_B »

Well fuck off then. Mine was great!

ETA: if you were talking about Ryan’s original joke then you were even further off for not giving him credit! He’s the master of that!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Aaaaaand i was being serious
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ryan wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:54 pm Aaaaaand i was being serious
I actually knew that. He shoulda shown you more respect. I’m smart. I should be on jeopardy.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Just kidding

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

About 97% of last night

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I assume St. Vincent was the only winner I listen to and I'm really excited to see her 2017 album win an annual award in 2019.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:33 am I assume St. Vincent was the only winner I listen to and I'm really excited to see her 2017 album win an annual award in 2019.
I almost had to email my brother to tell him about that performance with her and Dua Lipa. Dear g-d.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

All you need to know about the Grammys is the fact that 11 of the past 21 awards for Best Reggae Album went to sons of Bob Marley and last night's went to Sting.

That is reggae as chosen by people who do not listen to reggae.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shaggy wrote:It *was* me this time!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

All you need to know about the Grammys is that fucking Greta Van Fleet won one.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:36 pm All you need to know about the Grammys is that fucking Greta Van Fleet won one.
I have never listened to them but I understand there's some controversy around them. Giff went bonkers on it one time on FB. Something about them copying Led Zeppelin...which would make them the 93849th band to do so? I don't get it.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:04 pm
brian wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:36 pm All you need to know about the Grammys is that fucking Greta Van Fleet won one.
I have never listened to them but I understand there's some controversy around them. Giff went bonkers on it one time on FB. Something about them copying Led Zeppelin...which would make them the 93849th band to do so? I don't get it.
People can like what they like and it's not my cup of tea to listen to a band that basically just rips off Zeppelin, but that's not even really my beef honestly. I just don't see how any fan of rock music can argue with a straight face that this album was really the best rock album of 2018. It's just not possible (even accounting for the way that the Grammys divide and sub-divide genres).

I don't think that the people who vote on the Grammys even listen to music.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:10 pm
People can like what they like and it's not my cup of tea to listen to a band that basically just rips off Zeppelin, but that's not even really my beef honestly. I just don't see how any fan of rock music can argue with a straight face that this album was really the best rock album of 2018. It's just not possible (even accounting for the way that the Grammys divide and sub-divide genres).

I admittedly don't listen to a lot of "new" music. I still don't know who Cardi B is. I watched last night, and her performance was great and then she won an award and got in front of the mic and sounded like a third grader (maybe the emotion of the moment, idk). Every rap album that was nominated was auto-tuned. They had at least 3 performances that had the everloving SHIT auto-tuned of them. I don't know why a Post Malone is a thing.

I hate to be all get off my lawn. I love Childish Gambino's stuff. I dug the hell out of Brandi Carslile and to a certain point Kacey Musgraves is alright (Margo Price was robbed!). I can't name you a new rock band in the last 5 years I can really think of.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Weird dichotomy between Brandi Carlile and Randy Carlyle yesterday, huh?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

brian wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:10 pm

Don't disagree with you that the people who vote on the Grammys don't actually listen to any of the music.

However, I'm on board with Greta Van Fleet. They're not HOF'ers but I don't think they're terrible. I don't know what other rock album was any better...
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Grammys barely acknowledge the important music of a given day. When the Beatles were dominating the charts, the Grammys were going to Frank Sinatra et al. They are always behind the times.

I'm not a rap fan but even I recognize that hip hop is the dominant music genre today, and it was barely recognized in the live performances (and they had Post Malone playing with a band of a bunch of 50-somethings).
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:44 pm The Grammys barely acknowledge the important music of a given day. When the Beatles were dominating the charts, the Grammys were going to Frank Sinatra et al. They are always behind the times.

I'm not a rap fan but even I recognize that hip hop is the dominant music genre today, and it was barely recognized in the live performances (and they had Post Malone playing with a band of a bunch of 50-somethings).
Did we watch the same show?

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Even if you did, probably not.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:52 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:44 pm The Grammys barely acknowledge the important music of a given day. When the Beatles were dominating the charts, the Grammys were going to Frank Sinatra et al. They are always behind the times.

Did we watch the same show?
So, which of these live performances qualify as rap/hip hop? Any of them? That was my point. LINK
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I mean out of the genres represented you had Cardi, Travis Scott, and Post Malone (is that hip hop?).

I suppose I was kind lumping in R&B with hip-hop which give you a few more but perhaps you’re right. Didn’t feel like 19 performances eith so that number is a bit striking. Out of the rap albums you’re missing 2 key possibles in Mac Miller and Childish not being there. Last time year was all Kendrick. Was he there last night?

Also I’m aware Mac is dead just to put it out there. Couldn’t find a way to break that thought up quickly.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Rap is objectively relatively bad now and every award should go back and honor someone(s) from the 80s or 90s.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Inthe grammy’s defense, Sinatra was ‘aight.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:11 am Inthe grammy’s defense, Sinatra was ‘aight.
Sinatra was awarded over 60 Grammys. His peak years were in the 1940s and 1950s. But he only won his FIRST one in 1959.

My favorite bonehead Grammy was the time they gave one to Jethro Tull for the Best Metal Album of the Year,
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:23 pm
I hate to be all get off my lawn. I love Childish Gambino's stuff. I dug the hell out of Brandi Carslile and to a certain point Kacey Musgraves is alright (Margo Price was robbed!). I can't name you a new rock band in the last 5 years I can really think of.
Its crazy that Margo Price was nominated for 'Best New Artist' when she's got 2 albums out, and I've seen her in concert twice in the last couple of years.

Speaking of Price, did you see this article in the Post about her?

A country music artist navigates an art form altered by America’s poisoned politics
Politics
A country music artist navigates an art form altered by America’s poisoned politics

Country music singer Margo Price received a Grammy nomination for best new artist. (Matt McClain/The Washington Post)
By Greg Jaffe February 9
NASHVILLE — The stadium was filling up with fans for a late-season pro football game when Margo Price took up her spot at midfield for a pregame sound check.

Two weeks earlier she had scored a best new artist Grammy nomination. Now she was about to sing the national anthem — a slot typically reserved at Titans’ games for some of country music’s rising stars and its biggest names.

Price’s invitation, though, came with a warning.

“I’m sure you’ll be respectful of our anthem and not pull any shenanigans,” the Titans’ representative told her as she stepped onto the field. Price, 35, waited a moment for the team rep to amble away. A button emblazoned with the word “feminist” was pinned to her black leather jacket and glinted in the midday sun. “My reputation precedes me,” she said.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:59 am
tennbengal wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:11 am Inthe grammy’s defense, Sinatra was ‘aight.
Sinatra was awarded over 60 Grammys. His peak years were in the 1940s and 1950s. But he only won his FIRST one in 1959.

My favorite bonehead Grammy was the time they gave one to Jethro Tull for the Best Metal Album of the Year,
Which they then continued to fuck up by giving Metallica a Grammy for every subsequent album they released, almost all of which were crap (or flawed at best).
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:59 am

Look, if you don't think you metal hardest when you add flutes then we just can't be friends.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Love Margo Price. But, as the Dixie Chicks learned, the country industry leans very far right.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

(Crest of A Knave isn't really that great of an album...and I would have given that Grammy to Nothing's Shocking if we're awarding it to nominated albums.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:23 pm Love Margo Price. But, as the Dixie Chicks learned, the country industry leans very far right.
And very anti-women, in general. It talks about all of that in that article, along with mentioning Swamp favorites Sturgill Simpson and Jason Isbell.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Headline from a story in the Post today:
Major influencers react to the James Charles-Tati Westbrook YouTube feud
???
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Awhile back, we did a joint vacation along with another family - four adults and four kids. The other family introduced us to a parlor game called Celebrity, wherein you try to quickly guess the identity of "Celebrities" with very limited clues. I thought it was hilarious that the kids had only heard of about half the celebrities submitted by the adults, and the adults had only heard of less than half of the celebrities submitted by the kids - NONE of the Youtube "celebrities".
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:51 pm Headline from a story in the Post today:
???
Male makeup artists at that.

Every time you look at trending videos those dudes' videos are on there.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:01 pm
Pruitt wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:51 pm Headline from a story in the Post today:
???
Male makeup artists at that.

Every time you look at trending videos those dudes' videos are on there.
There was a time - and a time that lasted about 20 years, up until the time I became a stay at home dad, when I was pretty cool. i knew what the trends were...

But if a feud between make-up artists makes the front page of the Washington post's website... maybe being out of touch isn't so bad.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

wtf is cancel culture
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:16 pm wtf is cancel culture
People getting mad when assholes they like get their comeuppance.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Consequences for famous people"
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Restaurants they like getting called out for being bigots.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

mister d wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:13 amKenan Thompson is the worst and I will [turns and stares directly into the camera to deliver the punch line] not accept any arguments there.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:31 am
mister d wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:13 amKenan Thompson is the worst and I will [turns and stares directly into the camera to deliver the punch line] not accept any arguments there.
He's like "Gummo" in that picture.

(Now there's an old reference)