Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Re: Cultural Blind Spots

Post by Reaper »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:14 amDaft Punk
Is not coming to your house?
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pork-based nicknames
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Reaper wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:58 am
Pruitt wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:14 amDaft Punk
Is not coming to your house?
A decent song.

But I'm old - to me, EDM is basically disco for people on speed.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:32 pm But I'm old - to me, EDM is basically disco for people on speed.
That's a pretty apt description.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

My Daft Punk Knowledge pretty much starts and ends here outside of that Pharell song:

Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Sabo wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:49 pm
Pruitt wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:32 pm But I'm old - to me, EDM is basically disco for people on speed.
That's a pretty apt description.
Mid to late '90s that was near the top of what I would listen to, discovered Daft Punk with "Around the World" and bought pretty much every CD from Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim, Prodigy and the like. I was also probably the only person ever with all those CDs and never got high or tripped on anything.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I realized earlier this week that I didn't really know any Daft Punk other than that Harder, Better... song. I didn't even realize that Get Lucky was by them. I worked through their four studio albums on Spotify. Pretty good, but I don't really get why they were SO popular. Now I'm listening to The Chemical Brothers' Tweekend for the first time in a long time, and this is pretty clearly better to me.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Daft Punk is/was a band that was in the right place at the right time (EDM blowing up in France in the mid-to-late 90s).

I always liked Air better. Much more so.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I think Daft Punk also had an amazing stage presence so their live shows became 'legend' and the meme was "I heard Daft Punk is playing here tonight."

Here's a story about their 2006 Coachella performance.

Their legend reached absurdity because year after year they were rumored to be secret guests at Coachella from then on.

It peaked in 2013 when a trailer for Get Lucky 'upstaged' all of Coachella.

And what was shown? This:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Coachella is the perfect landing spot for a Daft Punk. It's like Ibiza, but Hollywood-style.
Noli Timere Messorem
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Shirley wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:37 pm I realized earlier this week that I didn't really know any Daft Punk other than that Harder, Better... song. I didn't even realize that Get Lucky was by them. I worked through their four studio albums on Spotify. Pretty good, but I don't really get why they were SO popular. Now I'm listening to The Chemical Brothers' Tweekend for the first time in a long time, and this is pretty clearly better to me.
If I'd have joined the original Swamp a few years earlier, my handle may have been Chemical Bros. related as I used that on many of my early message board meandering. I had tickets to see one of their shows in the late '90s, but couldn't go after getting a really bad case of strep throat. Dig Your Own Hole was probably the first CD that I scratched up so bad that I had to buy another one.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

BSF wrote:cheese
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That would have been a much better joke had he lost
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Seeing the ads for the sequel to 'Coming to America' makes me realize that beyond the barber shop scene ("Rocky Marciano!") I've never seen the first movie.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:56 am Seeing the ads for the sequel to 'Coming to America' makes me realize that beyond the barber shop scene ("Rocky Marciano!") I've never seen the first movie.
in my opinion, you're missing out. i feel like if you like trading places, you'll like this. so many great actors. so many great lines. this is one of the other iconic scenes from the film.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I remember it as being really funny.
[+] spoiler
Still remember the royal wipers
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

serrano wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:14 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:56 am Seeing the ads for the sequel to 'Coming to America' makes me realize that beyond the barber shop scene ("Rocky Marciano!") I've never seen the first movie.
in my opinion, you're missing out. i feel like if you like trading places, you'll like this. so many great actors. so many great lines. this is one of the other iconic scenes from the film.

The movie holds up well. My kids and I watched it last week and they loved it.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

bfj wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:26 pm
serrano wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:14 pm

The movie holds up well. My kids and I watched it last week and they loved it.
Really. We watched it early last summer and felt differently. But your boys are slightly older than my daughters. Still love me some Sexual Chocolate.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Da Share Zone

And DMX for that matter. I know he's a rapper, but that's it.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

DMX is a music service that you can get through your cable tv tubes.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

ya i guess i'm not alone - i feel like i at least know most artists (or have heard of them) but was just coming here to write that i thought DMX meant a dirtbike.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

What y'all really want?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

PDX about to lose his mind, up in here, up in here.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

There was an entire post in that thread where I knew all the words in the post, but had no idea what they meant when put in that sequence.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Giff wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:16 pm There was an entire post in that thread where I knew all the words in the post, but had no idea what they meant when put in that sequence.
You're gonna get to the bottom of this shit if it takes all night
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Ryan wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:24 pm
Giff wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:16 pm There was an entire post in that thread where I knew all the words in the post, but had no idea what they meant when put in that sequence.
You're gonna get to the bottom of this shit if it takes all night
Stop.

drop.

shutemdownopenupshop.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The snake. The rat. The cat. The dog. How you gon' see when you're living in the fog?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:25 am Da Share Zone
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I have no idea what the hell that is, but I can't stop laughing.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:57 am I have no idea what the hell that is, but I can't stop laughing.
You got it. That’s pretty much the idea.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Things that are popular, but whose basis for popularity escapes me:

(If you are a fan, please understand I'm not hating on you personally for liking this stuff.)

1. Youtube personalities.

2. Pro wrestling. It's choreographed melodrama targeted at 13 year-old boys, but blindly treated as a sport.

3. Superhero/comic book movies. These things used to be targeted at adolescents. Now, it feels like I'm the only one not onboard.

Now, you kids get offa my lawn!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:18 pm Things that are popular, but whose basis for popularity escapes me:

(If you are a fan, please understand I'm not hating on you personally for liking this stuff.)

1. Youtube personalities.

2. Pro wrestling. It's choreographed melodrama targeted at 13 year-old boys, but blindly treated as a sport.

3. Superhero/comic book movies. These things used to be targeted at adolescents. Now, it feels like I'm the only one not onboard.

Now, you kids get offa my lawn!
Umm....I pretty much agree with everything you've written. Does this make me old?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

1. Once there was a medium that gave talented people a case to showcase their talent without going through traditional channels, those talented people capitalized. Over time it became monetized and a better platform, plus there's an algorithm that internally racks and stacks what is "trending," so people looked at that as a legit career move.

2. This has been around forever. It's theater and athletic. And there's a bunch of kids/adults that keep it going.

3. At some point "Nerd Culture" became mainstream. Probably around when ComicCon San Diego and others like it attracted mainstream Hollywood. Plus, technology to make movies that could adapt comics seemlessly became more pronounced. And it made shittons of money.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:53 pm2. This has been around forever. It's theater and athletic. And there's a bunch of kids/adults that keep it going.
Yeah, I mean, I was never into it myself, but I did go to a couple of off-off-off Broadway pro wrestling events at a crappy little gym in Salt Lake with my kid - and it was a blast.

No, it's not a sport. It's a scripted drama with talented and athletic people doing crazy stunts.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:53 pm 1. Once there was a medium that gave talented people a case to showcase their talent without going through traditional channels, those talented people capitalized. Over time it became monetized and a better platform, plus there's an algorithm that internally racks and stacks what is "trending," so people looked at that as a legit career move.

2. This has been around forever. It's theater and athletic. And there's a bunch of kids/adults that keep it going.

3. At some point "Nerd Culture" became mainstream. Probably around when ComicCon San Diego and others like it attracted mainstream Hollywood. Plus, technology to make movies that could adapt comics seemlessly became more pronounced. And it made shittons of money.
Star Trek: the Original Series failed in its first run. Canceled after 3 years, and the last year they were reusing stuff from previous seasons and the styrofoam looked really um...fake.

It wasn't until it got picked up in syndication that a generation of kids grew up on watching it on Saturday afternoons did it get a cult following. And then 6 or 7 years later there's a motion picture.
Noli Timere Messorem
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:04 pm
Johnnie wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:53 pm2. This has been around forever. It's theater and athletic. And there's a bunch of kids/adults that keep it going.
Yeah, I mean, I was never into it myself, but I did go to a couple of off-off-off Broadway pro wrestling events at a crappy little gym in Salt Lake with my kid - and it was a blast.

No, it's not a sport. It's a scripted drama with talented and athletic people doing crazy stunts.
Because the ending is pre-determined it isn't a sport? I guess just call it an athletic event, but those guys and women performing are mostly world class athletes.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

duff wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:00 pm Because the ending is pre-determined it isn't a sport?
Yes?

I agree they are excellent athletes. Doing physically challenge acting and stunt work.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

There are tremendous athletes in the circus or at Faneuil Hall. That doesn’t make their shows a sport.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:46 pm
duff wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:00 pm Because the ending is pre-determined it isn't a sport?
Yes?

I agree they are excellent athletes. Doing physically challenge acting and stunt work.
Are the Globetrotters playing a sport? I think that’s why the term sports entertainment was used by Vince McMahon.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.