Cultural Blind Spots

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Cultural Blind Spots

Post by mister d »

I actually think it would be "cool" to be a serious movie person, I just can't handle the time commitment, especially knowing (thinking?) 3/4 of movies kinda suck.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

mister d wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:54 pm I actually think it would be "cool" to be a serious movie person, I just can't handle the time commitment, especially knowing (thinking?) 3/4 of movies kinda suck.
I've fallen way behind on being a "serious movie person" the last few years, but I would mitigate this concern by only watching movies that:

1. Have solidly positive reviews (Rotten Tomatoes is a good reference),
2. Are nominated for major awards, and/or
3. Have good word-of-mouth among people whose tastes I share.

Not perfect, and I'd still think a fair number of them sucked, but still a decent way to help separate the wheat from the chaff.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

You get older, you ignore hype.

And you find there's no reason to be among the first to see a new movie. That's for kids, and people who need to be the first to see something. Step back from the rush and eventually you realize that maybe you didn't need to spend time and money watching the latest Marvel movie.

But the other thing is that once you know your own taste, you can be very specific as to which movies you want to watch.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I don't go out of my way to watch movies, so I get the sentiment.

And I hate going to the movie theater to pay $$$ for tickets, soda, and popcorn when I can find a stream and make food at home.

So unless it's something that I have to get to a theater for, I tend to watch less movies overall.

MILLENNIALS ARE KILLING ANOTHER INDUSTRY.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I used to watch movies somewhat regularly in high school. My father hooked up 2 vcrs, so he would rent a lot of movies and copy them, so we always had a selection at home. My wife only like romantic comedies and teenie bopper movies, so I don't watch movies with her. When we first move in together, in a tiny one-bedroom, we lived a block away from a decent theater, so I'd go by myself on occasion than watch TV. Since leaving the City, I've been to the theater twice in 13 years, both kids movies. Well, Spider Man Homecoming is counting as a kids movie in my mind. If Netflix Streaming had more or better movie options, I'd probably watch more, but I rarely watch movies on Netflix or Amazon, but I almost exclusively watch shows. Like Joe Rogan says, the cable and streaming original shows have killed movies for me. They are like a 10 hour movie, with much better ability to tell stories and develop characters.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I'd rather get lost in a two hour movie and not have to come back to it five times unless it's truly great, usually.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:01 am My wife only like romantic comedies and teenie bopper movies, so I don't watch movies with her. When we first move in together, in a tiny one-bedroom, we lived a block away from a decent theater, so I'd go by myself on occasion than watch TV.
I'm concerned about your syntax.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

* - One summer early in my college years (late 80s) I worked at Erol's (which got bought out by Blockbuster) and we could take home 4 movies a day. So, I've seen almost all of the classics, including all but one or two Hithcock's and one or two Bogart's, and most of the Oscar winners up through the 80s.

* - My wife and I try to see the bulk of those nominated for Oscars every and we've been together over 20 years, so... A decent amount of movies of arguably high quality.

* - Having two kids of sound mind as Pixar started its run, I've seen all of those, plus all the Disney heavy hitters.

* - I make a point of seeing action blockbusters in a theater, so... most of the Marvels, Star Wars, LoTR, etc.

=-=-=-=-=

What I would agree on in terms of aging out, is that I don't chase EVERY blockbuster anymore (and haven't for over a decade.) Agree that they hype doesn't affect me anymore. I'm not rushing out to see Jumanji, I don't care if it's making bank and getting hyped up. I don't care about Rampage, etc etc.

We watch a ton of "hit" movies either OnDemand or if they show up on Amazon. We'll take a run at Netflix original movies if the word of mouth is solid (TWILTS and a few friends we trust), but I also am down with the sentiment that I'd rather latch onto a good series on Netflix/Amazon/Hulu for a variety of reasons. Mainly, a one-off experience better be really good for me to burn 2 hours on it.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I either binge TV or binge movies, switching in between. I only really see the things that you "need" to see in the theatre in theatre, otherwise wait for DVD or the 'Flix. Saw a bit more in the theatres a few years ago, but that was a 'dad getaway for a few hours' and hang with the BiL (who's a movie addict) thing.

Also, the Pixies Doolittle is 30 years old today. I understand alt-rock, heck I like some of it. I have no idea why people call Doolittle one of the best albums ever made. Fucking hot garbage as far as I am concerned.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I rarely see new movies at theaters. Usually about twice a year. Rarely see newish movies on PPV, usually about 3-4 times a year.

But, on Saturday the wife and I did venture to a theatre to watch a matinee early Hitchcock double feature of Sabotage (1936), and Rebecca (1941)!

You kids get off of my lawn!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:01 am My wife only like romantic comedies and teenie bopper movies, so I don't watch movies with her.
We'll watch some movies together - her tolerance for foreign films has increased during the course of our marriage, and we'll watch some big movies together (PPV or cable).

But man, she loves those rom coms and teen movies. I read most of the Sunday Times the other night as she watched He's Just Not Into You for the 3rd time.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

I think my distaste for romcoms has been a positive in my marriage.

I do like foreign films significantly more than Mr. Moreta does, but I have a few friends I usually see those movies with.

We go to the movies a lot still. We aren’t concessions people and our schedules allow for early matinees at times when tickets are cheap, so there have been stretches where we go almost weekly.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

I love foriegn films, which is why i still have Netflix disc service. I have seen many wonderful foriegn films that have never been streamed
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Apropos, RIP Milos Forman.

I rarely sit through entire movies anymore, but I don't think I could ever say "I'd never watch {insert hyper-critically acclaimed movie}". Can you imagine going through your entire life without ever seeing Amadeus or Cuckoo's Nest?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:39 pm Apropos, RIP Milos Forman.

I rarely sit through entire movies anymore, but I don't think I could ever say "I'd never watch {insert hyper-critically acclaimed movie}". Can you imagine going through your entire life without ever seeing Amadeus or Cuckoo's Nest?
I liked Cuckoos Nest, but Amadeus is an all-time favourite.

You know another director who never gets his due? George Roy Hill.

Butch Cassidy, The Sting, Slaughterhouse Five, World According To Garp and the all time classic Slap Shot
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:35 pm

Butch Cassidy, The Sting, Slaughterhouse Five, World According To Garp and the all time classic Slap Shot
Rob Reiner
first non TV movies in order

Spinal Tap, The Sure Thing, Stand By Me, Princess Bride, When Harry Met Sally, Misery, A Few Good Men

Among the best starts ever
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Well, I didn't really like Stand By Me, and I made it through 1/3rd of A Few Good Men... the others ar top notch though.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

check out Billy Wilder. Awesome list of movies.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Avram wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:15 pm check out Billy Wilder. Awesome list of movies.
We discussed him recently. The guy's a legend.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:48 am [...]

Also, the Pixies Doolittle is 30 years old today. I understand alt-rock, heck I like some of it. I have no idea why people call Doolittle one of the best albums ever made. Fucking hot garbage as far as I am concerned.
Speaking of blind spots..(ha!)

Sonic Youth was a better band. So was Pavement, really. The Pixies were probably overrated, but Doolittle was a freakin classic. Timeless (Surfer Rosa is a really good LP, too). Not as overrated as Nirvana though. (O;
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’ve never seen the appeal of Sonic Youth.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:07 pm I’ve never seen the appeal of Sonic Youth.
Me either, except for Bull in the Heather.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Ya, Sonic Youth is another one in the same vein as the Pixies for me. Doesn't help that they were super overplayed by an asshole roommate in college.

I was working college radio when Doolittle started into the rotation and I have a soft spot for a lot of the other alt / indie bands of the era, but something about them. I just don't get it, especially it being a "classic." I try to listen to all you should listen albums and respect a bunch of them. Just makes me shake my head.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That era of American music completely passed me by. These are bands that I should in theory be a big fan of, but I've yet to be really grabbed by anything that any of them put out. Any suggestions appreciated...
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:01 am That era of American music completely passed me by. These are bands that I should in theory be a big fan of, but I've yet to be really grabbed by anything that any of them put out. Any suggestions appreciated...
Sonic Youth: Daydream Nation and Goo are freakin ridiculously good LPs, but something tells me these are a few of the LPs that you’re aware of that sourced your frustration. Try The Eternal and Washing Machine.
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:07 pm I’ve never seen the appeal of Sonic Youth.
Well, they're not all that good looking.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Giff wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:00 am
Well, they're not all that good looking.
Nor are they youth.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:12 am
The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:01 am My wife only like romantic comedies and teenie bopper movies, so I don't watch movies with her. When we first move in together, in a tiny one-bedroom, we lived a block away from a decent theater, so I'd go by myself on occasion than watch TV.
I'm concerned about your syntax.
Clearly my account was hacked by a Russian troll farm.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I don't get this whole Cardi B thing. It seems like she completely came out of nowhere and is the biggest thing in the world. She joined the Beatles and Ashanti as the only acts to have 3 Top 10 songs at the same time. Her big hit is kind of catchy, and I get how the lyrics are empowering or baller, or whatever, but it doesn't seem like it takes talent to do a monotone chant, and she seems like she is out of her fucking mind. Am I missing something here?
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't know anything she does, but I can't hear her name without thinking of this tweet ...

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Cardi B is one better than Cartier.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Circling back on movies for a second, this is unconfirmed, but I think the last movie I saw in the theater was Hangover 2. That's almost 7 years ago. This doesn't seem possible.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:10 pm Circling back on movies for a second, this is unconfirmed, but I think the last movie I saw in the theater was Hangover 2. That's almost 7 years ago. This doesn't seem possible.
My last one was "Deadpool", which will be replaced by "Deadpool 2" soon enough. A bonus about "Deadpool" was that it replaced "Frozen".
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:58 pm I don't get this whole Cardi B thing. It seems like she completely came out of nowhere and is the biggest thing in the world. She joined the Beatles and Ashanti as the only acts to have 3 Top 10 songs at the same time. Her big hit is kind of catchy, and I get how the lyrics are empowering or baller, or whatever, but it doesn't seem like it takes talent to do a monotone chant, and she seems like she is out of her fucking mind. Am I missing something here?
My kids kind of keep me in the loop and I have some friends that go to Coachella and other music festivals, and they seem to be all up in her shit.

I am getting old. I can't stand her. Her first song on SNL last week made me want to punch my dog. And my dog is the sweetest animal in the world and doesn't deserve that, man.

Fuck Cardi B.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:03 pm Cardi B is one better than Cartier.
I thought that same thing too, then I found out that, no, it has nothing to do with that.

It's because she has a sister named Hennessey and people called her 'Bacardi' because her real name is Belcalis Almanzar.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:02 am
I thought that same thing too, then I found out that, no, it has nothing to do with that.

It's because she has a sister named Hennessey and people called her 'Bacardi' because her real name is Belcalis Almanzar.
Lamest "Well, actually..." ever
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Regardless of whether it's the actual explanation or not, does she (or do her fans) actually say that? Because in what world is a B anything considered better than an A?

OK, I just thought of one, but still.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Plan b birth control over condoms?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:23 am
Johnnie wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:02 am

Lamest "Well, actually..." ever
Stop being such a Cardi D, Cardi AB.
Chris_L
Maude Lebowski

Post by Chris_L »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:35 pm

George Roy Hill also directed Hard Times (Charles Bronson as a bare-knuckle boxer) and he directed the first episode of Deadwood.