OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Sabo
The Dude

Re: OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Post by Sabo »

As of today, I am now down 40 pounds since March 5.

I hurt my wrist two months ago playing pickleball, so I'm shifting my summer activities from golf and pickleball to cycling. I'm riding anywhere from 80-100 miles a week along two fairly flat bike paths. I've noticed a marked improvement in my cardio, which will help if I end up doing the backpacking trip later this fall.

This getting fit stuff is fun!
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sabo wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:57 am As of today, I am now down 40 pounds since March 5.

I hurt my wrist two months ago playing pickleball, so I'm shifting my summer activities from golf and pickleball to cycling. I'm riding anywhere from 80-100 miles a week along two fairly flat bike paths. I've noticed a marked improvement in my cardio, which will help if I end up doing the backpacking trip later this fall.

This getting fit stuff is fun!
Congratulations, Sabo. Very impressive.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

SO I haven't been doing much anything other than "try to eat less" but I'm now down a full 20 pounds since last december. If I put some exercise in I'd be cooking with gas.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nice work.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Great, AB.

I'm happy that I've seem to have leveled off at about 15 pounds down from my health event. I was down a bit more, backslid a bit, but seem to be holding the fort now. Funny, I exercise less than I did before. It's all about the intake.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

AB the lesser
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Weighed myself this morning and was pleased to see I've lost 50 pounds since early March. Only 15 more to get to my goal.

*fistpump*
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Fucking one upper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Way to go, Sabo. (Not impressed by you anymore, AB).
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Nice job Sabo...that's a pretty impressive pace for dropping the weight.

General question for the group...for those of you that have had success losing weight, did you develop any tips or tricks for dealing with cravings? That is my biggest problem...succumbing to the craving for some M&M's (metaphorically speaking).
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I'm still fat, but I just wanted to say hello.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

GoodKarma wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:03 pm Nice job Sabo...that's a pretty impressive pace for dropping the weight.

General question for the group...for those of you that have had success losing weight, did you develop any tips or tricks for dealing with cravings? That is my biggest problem...succumbing to the craving for some M&M's (metaphorically speaking).
Weirdly enough for me, exercising curbed the worst of that.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

A_B wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:34 amFucking one upper.
I texted you an apology. Don’t hate, AB.

Karma, I agree with TB. I don’t have as many cravings as I used to. But when I wanted something sweet, I would have a couple of sugar-free breath mints. Breath Savers mints are especially good.

And thanks, everyone.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm getting fatter. Vacations, kids away at in-laws, so busy at work the thought of cooking at home sounds awful all lead to us putting on some lbs. Luckily the girls are back tomorrow and school starts in a couple weeks, so we should be getting back up on the wagon Monday. I have to celebrate National Chicken Wing Day first.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

GoodKarma wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:03 pm Nice job Sabo...that's a pretty impressive pace for dropping the weight.

Water with metamucil in it helps to fill the stomach. Raw unsalted mixed fancy nuts are good. And, I found some non-fat frozen yogurt to replace my occasional jones for ice cream. Also sugar free popsicles have only 15 calories.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Thanks for the suggestions...I'll have to give them a try.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

tennbengal wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:17 am Osprey - 65 L (maybe 68 L). And you don't want to get "get by" - you want the size that works for your frame. And 4-5 nights is a significant goal for a hike - will you be able to hit stores at any point or are you packing food for all the trip in your pack? Water you can fill as you go (get a good purifying system - I like the gravity ones).

The backpack should be sized for you. REI is great at that. Even if you don't buy from there, go there and try some on with an REI employee to help you figure out the fit. The fit is everything. If you are looking to cut costs, don't start with your pack. Spend coin for a quality pack and a good fit...
Just ordered my backpack last night. I went to REI about two weeks ago and got tried out both the Atmos and Aether. For some reason, the Atmos felt much more stable on my back when loaded with about 30 pounds than the Aether, so I got the Atmos. I know I'm going to carry more than 30 pounds of gear/food/water, mostly because my current tent and sleeping bag are fairly heavy. I'm willing to schlep more weight at first to ensure I'm going to enjoy backpacking in the long term before I start spending more money just to save weight. It also helps the trail I'm doing is fairly short, so I don't have to push myself harder than necessary.

TB, what kind of training did you do before your hike? Last weekend, I hiked about 11 miles over two days while carrying 20 pounds of weight, and I averaged about 2.5 miles per hour. I was a little sore Monday, but it wasn't too bad. I don't think I'll need to go much more than one mile per hour while on the trail (due to how short it is), so I'm probably pressing my pace more than necessary. I hope to get in a 5.5-mile hike tonight, but that might depend on the weather. Once I get my backpack I plan to start adding five pounds every other week so I can get used to the weight. I have about 5.5 weeks before I start my trip, so I think I'll be used to the weight and distance by the time I start.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Also, I took a pic of myself a couple of weeks ago that helps show how much weight I've lost. This will probably scare a lot of you, especially the Swampers who've never met me.

IMG_20180729_100336.jpg
IMG_20180729_100336.jpg (65.99 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I feel better about you suddenly getting sick last month.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:20 pm I feel better about you suddenly getting sick last month.
That was not a fun day. At all.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

TB, what kind of training did you do before your hike? Last weekend, I hiked about 11 miles over two days while carrying 20 pounds of weight, and I averaged about 2.5 miles per hour. I was a little sore Monday, but it wasn't too bad. I don't think I'll need to go much more than one mile per hour while on the trail (due to how short it is), so I'm probably pressing my pace more than necessary. I hope to get in a 5.5-mile hike tonight, but that might depend on the weather. Once I get my backpack I plan to start adding five pounds every other week so I can get used to the weight. I have about 5.5 weeks before I start my trip, so I think I'll be used to the weight and distance by the time I start.
That's actually more than I did for my first time out, you will be fine, I am sure, having done that.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sabo wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:11 pm Also, I took a pic of myself a couple of weeks ago that helps show how much weight I've lost. This will probably scare a lot of you, especially the Swampers who've never met me.
IMG_20180729_100336.jpg
For context for those of you who haven't met Sabo, here is a 2010 pic of Sabo and me. (Of course, we were both 8 years younger than now, and I now have a lot more grey in my hair!)

Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Sabo wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:11 pm Also, I took a pic of myself a couple of weeks ago that helps show how much weight I've lost. This will probably scare a lot of you, especially the Swampers who've never met me.

IMG_20180729_100336.jpg
Jesus, who’s that pencil-necked shady cop and what has he done with John?

Kidding Sabo, good for you!
Mulligan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Mulligan »

You da man Sabs!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:46 pm
IMG_20180729_100336.jpg
For context for those of you who haven't met Sabo, here is a 2010 pic of Sabo and me. (Of course, we were both 8 years younger than now, and I now have a lot more grey in my hair!)

Thanks for showing how far my hairline has receded.

And thanks, Mr. Five Sides and Mulligan!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Woooops. Wrong thread. Delete that other post, please.

From 1 October to 30 October, the gf and I did the "Whole 30" diet.

No dairy, no legumes, no processed sugar, no wheat/grains for 30 days. I lost 13 lbs. I ran a few times, but did no significant working out.

It was difficult only in the sense that when everyone is going out to eat for lunch I can't really go. Perimeter shopping and cooking for myself and my gf was easier.

The most eye opening thing is that sugar is in everyfuckingthing. Read the ingredients to any packaged meat. See the word "dextrose"? Don't eat it. Or even see the word "sugar" for no reason? Don't eat that.

What's good to know is that come PT time I can diet like this and exercise and I'll be fine.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I've been fearing that my gym was hemorrhaging money. Unrelated to that, I've noticed that it's been abnormally cold inside recently. Well, I noticed today that the heat was set at 61. So... yeah

Oh, and there was a dude vaping next me at the cable station today.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Any swamp folks strava or zwift users?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:53 pm Any swamp folks strava or zwift users?
I use Strava for my bike rides, but given the weather I won't be using it any time soon.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'm all Garmin Connect, My Fitness Pal, and Training Peaks. They all sync together.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I use Strava for my bike rides, walks and hikes, and Lose It as my calorie counter (which I only use when I'm trying to lose weight). Lose It can import my Strava activity but you have to buy the Lose It Premium, which isn't that expensive.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I am new to the indoor bike trainer thing (Birthday present for myself) but am really enjoying Zwift (except for the fact that I made a virtual left turn that took my morning ride from a flat 20 mph spin to a 30 minute climb). I am thinking about adding the foot pod so if I do treadmill I can at least hustle around Richmond, New York, London, and Watopia.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Those peloton things make me wish I had a lot of discretionary income and the desire to get in better shape.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I use Strava on my bike commutes. I log about 80-90 miles a week.

One cool attachment for your Strava is an app called 'Relive'. It creates a movie of your ride, overlaying google maps. Here's my morning ride:

https://www.relive.cc/view/2010256557
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:59 pm Those peloton things make me wish I had a lot of discretionary income and the desire to get in better shape.
Start a podcast and get sponsored. The PMT and PSA guys have them AND THEY ARE AWESOME. (Can't really tell if it's the ad read though.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:12 pm
I use Strava on my bike commutes. I log about 80-90 miles a week.

One cool attachment for your Strava is an app called 'Relive'. It creates a movie of your ride, overlaying google maps. Here's my morning ride:

https://www.relive.cc/view/2010256557
Would be more fun if they rig it up with street view.

And the overlay has you riding on the water. Impressive.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The cost of Peleton is what drove me toward Zwift (I also really like the fit of my road bike). I like spin classes as much as anyone else, but my inexpensive gold's gym membership includes spin classes. Yeah I can do it on demand but $40/month for that is just a bit pricey (on top of the bike).

Nice spin bikes are not that expensive on Amazon and you can get spin classes/stationary cycling from a ton of online sources or go old school and buy dvds.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

was having the conversation this weekend that the way to kill the peloton market share would be to start an awesome cult-like streaming spin class service for $10 a month that you can stream on your phone/ipad and use your regular stationary bike for

(I'm also sure this type of app exists. they just need to advertise a lot more)

((eta: also not sure what the peloton market share is. the profit margin may be enough they can advertise a shit ton relative to their sales))
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I thought the peloton let you experience a ride anywhere around the world, like you're actually biking in the alps or some shit. I don't want to watch some idiot cycling on my screen and yelling at me.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:12 am I thought the peloton let you experience a ride anywhere around the world, like you're actually biking in the alps or some shit. I don't want to watch some idiot cycling on my screen and yelling at me.
I thought the latter was the main draw of peloton. Do a "spin class" whenever you want