Post by rass »

Someone looking to get diesel
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Post by wlu_lax6 »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:15 pm
The Sybian wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:09 pm I'm thinking about getting a set of adjustable dumbells like the ones pictured below. It seems like the weights are attached to the base, and when you set the dial, that amount of weights attaches to the dumbell. Seems like a great way to save space and not buy numerous sets of weights, but I'm a bit concerned on the quality and whether it feels unstable. The other issue is they are pretty damned expensive. First thing that popped up was Walmart at $1,100 which was a shock, especially from Walmart. I found some decent looking ones in the $250-$400 range, then realized that was the price for one, not a pair. Anyone used these or have a recommendation?

Intrigued by them, scared off by the price.
These go on sale all the time. Keep an eye out and look at some of the other brands. Bet there will be some solid black friday deals.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

the biggest thing with adjustable dumbbells is ... do you really need to spend to save the space? if you're in a pinch and can't store 4-5 sets of DBs then maybe they're a good investment. But if the DBs you would primarily use are cheaper than the adjustable set and you don't have storage issues, save the money.

(this coming from a guy who's going barbell only for his home gym for the foreseeable future)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The adjustable ones are pretty great (and space savers) but like you all said expensive. I highly recommend working at a company that (until this year) allocated a few hundred dollars of a spend-it-or-lose-it fitness reimbursement to each employee and use that to avoid personal out of pocket costs.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

sat on my ass march through mid april
started daily walks w the missus and the dog, usually an hour+
lots of movement may and june -- was running quite a bit
started playing outdoor soccer again in july, now 2x a week..
stopped running
back to the gym in sept by appt
still in the gym after mid oct no more appt, but masks required along w temp check
max of 7 allowed in the weight room - they moved in a bike and a threadmill and took a squat rack away (!!)
been doing 5x5 all along -- the boy and one of his friends now join me 3x a week at 630a
on and off cut alcohol for a week or so.
eat very little fast food, carryout 1 or 2x a week
went up to 235 early on.. got as low as 217.. hovering at 220. need new belt but have to figure out how to drop another 5, then 5, then 5.. to get a 1 in front.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:09 pm The adjustable ones are pretty great (and space savers) but like you all said expensive. I highly recommend working at a company that (until this year) allocated a few hundred dollars of a spend-it-or-lose-it fitness reimbursement to each employee and use that to avoid personal out of pocket costs.
We had a great deal with Gympass (they are a client). For as low as $10/month, you could go to every gym that had a deal with Gympass. I was going to Lifetime, and my $200+/month family pass was covered by a $35/month Gympass membership. My company subsidized the rest, but I forget what percentage my company paid. I cancelled Gympass in March an my company suspended their deal until post-COVID.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:47 pm the biggest thing with adjustable dumbbells is ... do you really need to spend to save the space? if you're in a pinch and can't store 4-5 sets of DBs then maybe they're a good investment. But if the DBs you would primarily use are cheaper than the adjustable set and you don't have storage issues, save the money.

(this coming from a guy who's going barbell only for his home gym for the foreseeable future)
Home gym area is getting crowded. We had an elliptical and rowing machine pre-covid, and my wife has added some crap post-COVID. I could probably get away with a rack of 4 sets of dumbells, but the cost ends up being about the same or more than a pair of the adjustable ones. Some of them look like they are awkwardly long. Reviewers say they can't so some exercises because the dumbells are too big. I think I'd get used to it quickly enough. My MiL loves to spend way too much on holiday gifts, and I think it annoys her that I never ask for much, so I'm thinking I send her a link to a set. I feel guilty asking for something this expensive, but she will probably be thrilled and relieved to get a link and not have to try to find several smaller items. She usually goes gift card, but she prefers to actually get stuff.

This seems like the best deal if anyone else is looking. Set of 2 from Bowflex, weight goes from 5 lbs to 52.5 lbs, $400, free shipping. I've seen shipping charges over $100 on some. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ARYU58?t ... 1630939884
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

My wife wants to build a home gym for our boys to use. I'm not convinced about turning my 2-car garage into a 1-car garage, but it is tempting to have my own proper weights.

If we do it, we'll get a squat rack, a bench, and a barbell set (olympic bar with something like 300 lbs total of weights). I'd like some dumbbells as well, but might do those in a later purchase (and we have some 20lbs which are suitable for some things).

But man, getting decent weights without paying a mint is tough! Surely gyms don't pay that much money for their plates, do they?
Totally Kafkaesque
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

I’ve been as lethargic the last year as I ever have in my life. I’ve played a lot of golf, and normally walk when I play, but that’s not enough. Hovering right at 215, which is about 20 higher than I want to be. Going to start running twice a week this winter and doing some sort of body weight exercise every day. Cholesterol is high, so I also need to change my diet.

Getting old sucks.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:52 amThis seems like the best deal if anyone else is looking. Set of 2 from Bowflex, weight goes from 5 lbs to 52.5 lbs, $400, free shipping. I've seen shipping charges over $100 on some. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ARYU58?t ... 1630939884
($259 + free shipping just over 3 years ago.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Shirley wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:03 am My wife wants to build a home gym for our boys to use. I'm not convinced about turning my 2-car garage into a 1-car garage, but it is tempting to have my own proper weights.

If we do it, we'll get a squat rack, a bench, and a barbell set (olympic bar with something like 300 lbs total of weights). I'd like some dumbbells as well, but might do those in a later purchase (and we have some 20lbs which are suitable for some things).

But man, getting decent weights without paying a mint is tough! Surely gyms don't pay that much money for their plates, do they?
I've been having to bargain hunt and scour for deals.

I bought our rack, trap bar, and bench off Amazon and then a 300 lb weight set from Dicks. I'm gonna get two more 45s to make it so I can go relatively heavy on deadlifts and am going to buy a nicer barbell at some point for heavy squats.

I got a landmine attachment from Amazon too but they say it's been lost. So that's great. I'm also going to either buy a dip attachment for the rack or build my own dip station with materials I have here.

ETA: I'm hoping to have the gym set up by thanksgiving. I have been able to go lift at the brother and sister in law's and will probably still go over there a day or two per week in the winter. but i'm looking forward to doing a lot of upper body stuff from home and will probably do 30-45 minutes of vanity work for the hell of it before I go to bed every night.

I've never had a home gym before so I'm excited. I've kept my gym membership and will definitely go back when this is all over though. I miss leaving the house every day.
Last edited by Brontoburglar on Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:32 am
The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:52 amThis seems like the best deal if anyone else is looking. Set of 2 from Bowflex, weight goes from 5 lbs to 52.5 lbs, $400, free shipping. I've seen shipping charges over $100 on some. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ARYU58?t ... 1630939884
this price increase is about right in terms of COVID inflation from what I've seen
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

supply and demand. People everywhere are buying home gym stuff, so everything is scarce.
Totally Kafkaesque
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Shirley wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:53 am supply and demand. People everywhere are buying home gym stuff, so everything is scarce.
Yup. Had to join a wait list before I could order my rowing machine. Ended up waiting about 10 weeks. I love the thing so far.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:12 pm Ran every day in May and June. Just ran a little over 7 miles, sitting on 76 days straight.
Yesterday was the first day since April 17th that I didn't go for a run.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:09 am
rass wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:12 pm Ran every day in May and June. Just ran a little over 7 miles, sitting on 76 days straight.
Yesterday was the first day since April 17th that I didn't go for a run.
It's not a bad idea to let your body recuperate a day or two a week.

ETA - nice fucking work though
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:52 am

Home gym area is getting crowded. We had an elliptical and rowing machine pre-covid, and my wife has added some crap post-COVID. I could probably get away with a rack of 4 sets of dumbells, but the cost ends up being about the same or more than a pair of the adjustable ones. Some of them look like they are awkwardly long. Reviewers say they can't so some exercises because the dumbells are too big. I think I'd get used to it quickly enough. My MiL loves to spend way too much on holiday gifts, and I think it annoys her that I never ask for much, so I'm thinking I send her a link to a set. I feel guilty asking for something this expensive, but she will probably be thrilled and relieved to get a link and not have to try to find several smaller items. She usually goes gift card, but she prefers to actually get stuff.

This seems like the best deal if anyone else is looking. Set of 2 from Bowflex, weight goes from 5 lbs to 52.5 lbs, $400, free shipping. I've seen shipping charges over $100 on some. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ARYU58?t ... 1630939884

IF you're still looking for DBs (or anyone else who may be doing so) buy these as soon as they come back in stock with the expandable sets up to 90 lbs. they were in stock this week. my brother bought them and I had them in my cart but I couldn't pull the trigger after all the basement expenses

https://powerblock.com/product/elite-series/
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:40 am
this price increase is about right in terms of COVID inflation from what I've seen
I ended up buying this set. Prices were wildly fluctuating on Amazon, more dependent on individual sellers selling out and getting restocked. I've been using them, and absolutely love having dumbbells again. They are bigger than normal dumbbells and slightly awkward at first for some exercises, but it doesn't bother me. I saw a bunch of reviews complaining about them being awkward due to the size. They are solid and well built, but the plates are thin, and I'd bet they could break if you dropped them.

Early Spring I was talking to my next door neighbor (the good one) and he mentioned he gave away his weight bench and all his weights. He posted on Facebook and was shocked that he got a ton of responses within a few hours. I was pissed, I would have paid him. He just wanted to clear out his garage, and didn't realize the demand for gym equipment.

Funny thing with the weights, I was thinking they must be off, as they felt heavier than the dialed in weight amounts, then I realized I've lost some significant strength. I've been doing resistance bands consistently, but it just isn't the same as free weights. The good thing is, I'm feeling a lot more sore the day or two after workouts than I ever did with bands, which felt great to feel the right kind of muscle soreness again.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

yeah, it's crazy how much my three weeks off has affected soreness levels. I'm starting a stupid new program this week and while strength has been normal I wake up and feel like I did a 2-hour lifting session. getting old sucks! having a gym at home for the first time does not, however.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:47 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:40 am

Funny thing with the weights, I was thinking they must be off, as they felt heavier than the dialed in weight amounts, then I realized I've lost some significant strength. I've been doing resistance bands consistently, but it just isn't the same as free weights. The good thing is, I'm feeling a lot more sore the day or two after workouts than I ever did with bands, which felt great to feel the right kind of muscle soreness again.
OK, Karen.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I bought a set of these adjustable dumbbells for my kids for Christmas - https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/no ... djstbldslc.

Obviously haven't tried them yet, but I am looking forward to having more dumbbell options in our new home gym. We only have a set of 20s today and there's only so much you can do with that.

I think I used some of those big square ones like Bronto linked to at a hotel gym one time and didn't really like them. That shape made them feel super bulky to me.
Totally Kafkaesque
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

on another home gym note, Rogue's 45 lb plates are back in stock. $150 after shipping for a pair. That's $20 more than Dick's and way better quality.

I wanted to buy a pair of 100s but it was going to be $160 to ship. no way in hell on that.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Welp, ended 2020 down 15 lbs from where I started but almost 15 heavier than my lowest weight back in the summer. Pretty sure my diet just went to shit once the summer ended, so I’m going to go back to logging my calorie intake as best I can because that’s what kickstarted me last year, and if nothing else helped me cut down on stuffing my face after dinner. Even though I think my heaviest drinking was over the summer (when I could end work by walking upstairs and having a drink on the back porch, man I sort of miss that) I’m going to shoot for a dry January (mostly, 1/20 might call for a sip) just because.

Sorry to be a bit cliche or whatever doing this on 1/1 but writing it up here will help keep me honest with myself.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Ran 1100 miles last year. Thinking about working my way up to marathons and beyond if work and life don't get in the way too much. And this year I'm going to start doing those push ups and maybe even 1 pull up. I mean it this time.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

EdRomero wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:22 am Ran 1100 miles last year. Thinking about working my way up to marathons and beyond if work and life don't get in the way too much. And this year I'm going to start doing those push ups and maybe even 1 pull up. I mean it this time.
I didn't even check my Strava for my end of year results. Last few years its been over 4K miles of cycling...the work-from-home has killed that.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Great job Romero. Run app says I spent almost 9.5 day’s worth of time running last year. Jeez.

Also, decided to take up drinking seltzer this month because I enjoy the ritual of getting up and getting drinks during games. LaCroix guy now!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I believe Lacroix is the worst of the seltzers. Please reconsider.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

But I had some in my garage. “Razz-cranberry”

Leftover from my summer gin phase.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

spindrift is the best I've had but it's also the most expensive

I'm doing the 2x a day workout thing starting next week for the first time in earnest now that I have the basics at home. and I'm looking forward to not eating everything in sight after this weekend
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I need to get back on the wagon. Also, Topo Chico with a hint of grapefruit is fantastic.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:03 am Welp, ended 2020 down 15 lbs from where I started but almost 15 heavier than my lowest weight back in the summer. Pretty sure my diet just went to shit once the summer ended, so I’m going to go back to logging my calorie intake as best I can because that’s what kickstarted me last year, and if nothing else helped me cut down on stuffing my face after dinner. Even though I think my heaviest drinking was over the summer (when I could end work by walking upstairs and having a drink on the back porch, man I sort of miss that) I’m going to shoot for a dry January (mostly, 1/20 might call for a sip) just because.

Sorry to be a bit cliche or whatever doing this on 1/1 but writing it up here will help keep me honest with myself.
I’m going to draw a correlation to all of the taco posts on Facebook.

I feel like I haven’t changed my eating or exercise much, but I’ve been slowly putting back weight. Up 10 pounds since the summer. Maybe those 3-8 mile walks my wife dragged me on we’re actually making the difference. That, and I’d walk the track next to my daughters soccer practices, but they switched to a field with lights in October. There’s my answer.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

You mother fucker...

The township has extended the farmers market into a winter food truck gathering on Thursdays. If our neighbors open the taco stand I’ll be there...
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

So. I have reached a milestone, and not a good one. I have reached 200lbs for the time in my life. I'm probably by definition obese now. I'm only 5'7" and slight build. I've gained 20lbs since the lockdown.

I need to exercise and eat better. I'll try to work out. I tried this video but could only finish Set 1. Will probably keep doing just Set 1 two or three times a day. Really out of shape.

Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Havent worked out in years but did get a 24 pack of spindrift. It is really good. Sweetish (says fruit no sugar added though) but guess I like like that. I'd say the san pellegrino is best but closer to a low sugar soda than seltzer.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Well I blew the whole month up over the weekend but my birthday is early feb so I'm thinking about doing a dry January. See if I can lose some of this weight. At the very least just give myself a 2 beer limit on Sat and Sun? I don't know. I'm gonna slide into it I guess and see how it goes. I miss the gym so bad.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:19 pm Well I blew the whole month up over the weekend but my birthday is early feb so I'm thinking about doing a dry January. See if I can lose some of this weight. At the very least just give myself a 2 beer limit on Sat and Sun? I don't know. I'm gonna slide into it I guess and see how it goes. I miss the gym so bad.
I went waaaaay too hard on NYE, and even though I had a wee dram before bed on the night of the 2nd, I'm considering doing a dry January as well. Also considering no more than one drink per day.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:14 pm Havent worked out in years but did get a 24 pack of spindrift. It is really good. Sweetish (says fruit no sugar added though) but guess I like like that. I'd say the san pellegrino is best but closer to a low sugar soda than seltzer.
A San Pellegrino when you first wake up is a real nice shock to the senses.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I'm doing Drynuary. Had to put myself in party time-out after the last 1.5 weeks.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I like lacroix and I've also now tried Bubly which I also liked so I'm worried I'll try a pricier brand (or more difficult to find, I didn't see spindrift at the Stop and Shop up the street over the weekend) and actually taste the difference.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:06 pm I like lacroix and I've also now tried Bubly which I also liked so I'm worried I'll try a pricier brand (or more difficult to find, I didn't see spindrift at the Stop and Shop up the street over the weekend) and actually taste the difference.
I drink LaCroix and Bubbly, usually just the lime variety and usually whatever is on sale. I like Spindirft a lot too but its expensive around here. 8-9$ for an 8 pack or whatever they sell in.

Frankly I just wish I knew what most of them are. I think that's why I like Spindrift because it tells you the fruit in it and you can get an idea of why the flavor is there. La Croix is just "essenced" which I assume means they do put something in it but it's in such a small amount they don't have to legally put it on a label.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."