"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Re: OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote:
howard wrote:
A_B wrote:Sounds like Cancer AIDS of the knee to me.
Not a bad guess, for a lay person, but this is why you leave it to a pro. Definitely AIDS Cancer, not what AB said.

Generally for folks your age, calf strains need a lot of rest to heal. Meaning nothing but minimal walking for at least a week, preferably two. Not even stretching for a week or two. The above the knee strain sounds like a hamstring tendon, which should heal with less babying, and should respond well to stretching.

Maybe you can swim instead of treadmill/elliptical for two weeks. Bronto is a better source than me for this injury, and of course I could better tell by physical exam.
Great, I'll stop by your office at 12:30. Which Reynold's Nap location are you working out of today?

My son has one of them rollers. I used a heated massager on it the first 2 days, and I got the sense it wasn't a good pain. Same with stretching. When I do stretch my calf, it tends to cramp up and stay in a tight ball for 10 seconds or so. Look forward to Rass or D ellipsesing this post.

If you have a baseball/tennis ball/lacrosse ball around, I would roll it (sit on the floor leg extended with the ball between your leg and the floor) and find pressure points and tightness. Don't roll where the soreness is -- rather around it. A lot of times tightness/trigger somewhere else radiates pain to another area.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Front squats are no joke.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote:Front squats are no joke.
I have those tonight too!

Knees out, chest up, drive through the heels. If you don't have lifting shoes, put some 5 lb plates under your heels for added ankle stability.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote:
I have those tonight too!

Knees out, chest up, drive through the heels. If you don't have lifting shoes, put some 5 lb plates under your heels for added ankle stability.
That was the first time I ever done those. Typically when I start an exercise for the first time I wont' do much weight at all just to get a feel for the motion. I only put 35s on the bar, and still felt like i was gonna die after 8 reps. I could have done more I suppose but kinda glad I didn't.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I'm taking a pilates class with my GF to try to help stabilize/build up my core strength to help with my back/sciatica issues. Class of about 20 people...me and a bunch of women.

Last night, one of the ladies RIPPED a massive fart. It changed pitch about 3 times. EPIC.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DaveInSeattle wrote:I'm taking a pilates class with my GF to try to help stabilize/build up my core strength to help with my back/sciatica issues. Class of about 20 people...me and a bunch of women.

Last night, one of the ladies RIPPED a massive fart. It changed pitch about 3 times. EPIC.
And I'll bet every single woman in that class looked at you in disgust.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Did you laugh? I did just reading your post, so I probably wouldn't have maintained composure. I'm 46 years old.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Just say "God bless you" and rip one back. It's only right.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Sabo wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:I'm taking a pilates class with my GF to try to help stabilize/build up my core strength to help with my back/sciatica issues. Class of about 20 people...me and a bunch of women.

And I'll bet every single woman in that class looked at you in disgust.
I'm sure the women on the other side of the class totally thought it was me. I should have stood up and pointed the finger of accusation.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote:Did you laugh? I did just reading your post, so I probably wouldn't have maintained composure. I'm 46 years old.
I was close to laughing, but my mat was next to my GF, so I had to maintain composure.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This dude seems to find them to be a joke:

(Please never do this, btw.)
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Glad he had the belt on, for safety. Prudent.

Still, I'm with her. How many times do you think he could do this without having the weight get imbalanced and hitting him -- or someone near by -- on the way to the floor?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: If you have a baseball/tennis ball/lacrosse ball around, I would roll it (sit on the floor leg extended with the ball between your leg and the floor) and find pressure points and tightness. Don't roll where the soreness is -- rather around it. A lot of times tightness/trigger somewhere else radiates pain to another area.
Thanks, this helped. I think the pain is on the tendon, at least it feels like a tendon when I feel pushed around the area. It finally started to feel better, but playing around today warming up my daughters and prowling the sidelines, it started to hurt again. I do feel like stretching makes it worse, and my calf muscle will cramp into a ball.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The ABQ marathon is today, but I'm not gunna run that. I'm running in a 10k. With this altitude I'll find out today if I'll ever do another one while I live here. Wish me luck!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Bench pressed 185 yesterday. Pretty pleased with progress. First time I've benched that in 8-10 years I guess.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote:Bench pressed 185 yesterday. Pretty pleased with progress. First time I've benched that in 8-10 years I guess.
you're about to catch me!
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Last year when I was in WA most of the time, I lifted 3-4 times a week. Got as strong as I've been in many years. I was able to do several reps of 185. I think the most I tried (and succeeded with) was 190. I've never benched two plates, and I've kind of felt like that was a goal. I've never specifically planned to get to that, but it just seems like the threshold for legitimately "strong."

Now that I'm back in NC (mostly), I can't ever find time to get to the gym. My gains are melting away.
Totally Kafkaesque
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I don't know what plates you're talking about, but two big plates is 135 assuming 45-lb bar. If you're talking two big on each end, that's 225. That's strong as fuck. A big and a quarter on each side is 185. That's nothing to sneeze at, and I'd consider it strong.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote:
A_B wrote:Bench pressed 185 yesterday. Pretty pleased with progress. First time I've benched that in 8-10 years I guess.
you're about to catch me!
The difference being 185 isn't my personal weight!
Last edited by A_B on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

L-Jam3 wrote:I don't know what plates you're talking about, but two big plates is 135 assuming 45-lb bar. If you're talking two big on each end, that's 225. That's strong as fuck. A big and a quarter on each side is 185. That's nothing to sneeze at, and I'd consider it strong.
Well, yeah, two on each side. 225. It is a lot, but there are always a number of dudes in any gym comfortably working with that (or more, depending on your gym).

Believe me, I was very happy to be doing a plate and a 25 (on each side!). But two plates would be cooler.
Totally Kafkaesque
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I am strong as fuck!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I can rep out 135 12/10/10 but I've never really pushed a maximum. I am not strong.

I can squat almost twice my weight, which I feel good about.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

BSF21 wrote:I can rep out 135 12/10/10 but I've never really pushed a maximum. I am not strong.

I can squat almost twice my weight, which I feel good about.
I feel like I can pick up a truck and if I don't deadlift heavy for a month or two, can jump right back in. but if I take a month off from squats it feels like I'm starting from scratch

though in both, I don't follow the chart at all in terms of percentages. my 5RM is probably closer to 75% of my 1RM rather than 85%
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

What has prevented you from deadlifting or squatting heavy for a month or more?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DC47 wrote:What has prevented you from deadlifting or squatting heavy for a month or more?
choice, mainly one of "I wanna not lift really heavy things for a bit and instead die via high rep squats and deadlifts"
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Is that a way to lifting heavier 1RM? Or towards some type of athletic performance? Or artistic license?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DC47 wrote:Is that a way to lifting heavier 1RM? Or towards some type of athletic performance? Or artistic license?
well, it can be used to get bigger, get stronger in the rep range being worked, can help with conditioning, really almost anything you want.

it's more pick your goal and build the program to it vs. pick the program and build your goal to it
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Bronto, what do you think of beta-alanine supplementation for exercise regiments that include fairly intense resistance exercise, HIIT, and aerobic work?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3374095/
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

It makes my skin crawl but I love it. I have been able to tell a difference when I use it.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

What have you learned about this stuff? Can you describe the effect it's having for you?

Any other supplements you'd recommend?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Maui comes calling in Mid January so I'm starting now.

160.5 post coffee this morning but I've been floating between 163-165 for the last few weeks so I'm not sure of my exact starting point. Shooting for 10 lbs in 10 weeks, but will take 5 if I can commit to hitting the weights and putting some mass on before then. That'll put me at my lightest since Freshman year of college and hopefully a bit stronger too. Challenge is avoiding too much alcohol on the weekends and giving up all my progress but I'm going to try to curb it a bit. I've got a 4 day trip in Vegas next week so I'm going to try and mitigate my drinking and excess via exercise and really hit the gym hard in the last month.

Save me the "poor you only 160lbs" shit. I've got a beer gut and I know I'm not eating right or exercising enough. The last time I got like this I crept up towards 180lb and I'm not letting that happen again. Good luck to those starting your new years thing a bit early like me. Let me know if you've got any tried and true methods to stay off the sugar.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

All that pre workout shit seems like poison to me. The ingredients in C4 (for example) just read like what you take if you want to hurt yourself. I stick to black coffee.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

BSF21 wrote:Save me the "poor you only 160lbs" shit. I've got a beer gut and I know I'm not eating right or exercising enough. The last time I got like this I crept up towards 180lb and I'm not letting that happen again. Good luck to those starting your new years thing a bit early like me. Let me know if you've got any tried and true methods to stay off the sugar.
How tall are you?

Being at your college freshman weight would be an amazing thing for at least 80% of the men over 45. Or even younger. For me it would mean weighing 130, being able to run forever, and having little upper body muscle mass. Short of the right kind of serious illness, that's not going to happen. I'd be glad to get to 6 feet tall and 160 if I was in good over-all shape.

These things help me lose weight:
1. Having a highly supportive wife
2. Not having much bad food in the house (some is out of sight)
3. Stocking up on diverse sources of attractive protein and vegetables that keep me full (including enticing meals)
4. Keeping track of my weight
5. Getting educated about the health impacts of eating wrong
6. Regular exercise (both aerobic and resistance)

The first factor certainly drives the rest, both directly (e.g., great salad in the refrigerator for me every morning) and indirectly. It's well known that publicly stating goals causes people to put forth more effort to reach them.

So far, so good. Ten months in I've gone from 205 to 168-170 pounds, with substantial gain of muscle mass (~10-12 pounds) and some added (temporary) intra-muscular water due to creatine use (~4 pounds). That's around 50 pounds of fat I'm no longer carrying. However, I'm still clearly carrying too much. I can't quite wear the pants I wore 20 years ago. And I have a visible fat band around my mid section. In 2017 I hope to reach 160, as you've done.

What are your weight loss tricks?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DC47 wrote:
BSF21 wrote:Save me the "poor you only 160lbs" shit. I've got a beer gut and I know I'm not eating right or exercising enough. The last time I got like this I crept up towards 180lb and I'm not letting that happen again. Good luck to those starting your new years thing a bit early like me. Let me know if you've got any tried and true methods to stay off the sugar.
How tall are you?

Being at your college freshman weight would be an amazing thing for at least 80% of the men over 45. Or even younger. For me it would mean weighing 130, being able to run forever, and having little upper body muscle mass. Short of the right kind of serious illness, that's not going to happen. I'd be glad to get to 6 feet tall and 160 if I was in good over-all shape.

3. Stocking up on diverse sources of attractive protein and vegetables that keep me full (including enticing meals)

The first factor certainly drives the rest, both directly (e.g., great salad in the refrigerator for me every morning) and indirectly. It's well known that publicly stating goals causes people to put forth more effort to reach them.

So far, so good. Ten months in I've gone from 205 to 168-170 pounds, with substantial gain of muscle mass (~10-12 pounds) and some added (temporary) intra-muscular water due to creatine use (~4 pounds). That's around 50 pounds of fat I'm no longer carrying. However, I'm still clearly carrying too much. I can't quite wear the pants I wore 20 years ago. And I have a visible fat band around my mid section. In 2017 I hope to reach 160, as you've done.

EDIT: I'm 6'0" to answer your question. My fittest was in High School, Jr/Sr year, in which I wrestled at 145 and played Rugby.

That's fantastic news DC. Glad to hear you've stuck to it. I really believe that a solid support system in the house is the best way to stay honest. It's nice that your wife has bought into what you're trying to accomplish. BSFGF has always been in a hell of a lot better shape than me (she's run 2 marathons in the last 2 months, 3 weeks apart) but she's also a vegetarian, which has it's ups and downs. I eat a lot less red meat than I used to. Lot's more chicken, some pork on occasion. I maybe eat red meat once a month if I really want a burger while we're out to eat. I've incorporated a lot more veggies in my own diet, as well as more grains like quinoa, and a lot more legumes.I must eat a can of black beans every 2-3 days at this point.

The hardest part about doing this is knowing I can't outrun a diet with exercise. I still love to play sports and get a good mix of racquetball and basketball in every week, in addition to playing on some rec soccer and softball teams when the weather permits. It's staying disciplined in the kitchen that I find difficult. I love to cook. I love sweets. I love beer and bourbon. None of those are conducive to overall weight loss.

For now, the tricks are simple. More cardio, light to moderate lifting (as Johnnie/Bronto will tell me, it's hard to put on muscle while eating at a caloric deficit), and tracking everything I eat every day without exception. Also 5 days a week I drink nothing but water and black coffee, with the exception of a swing of OJ or 1% milk here and there. Everyone has tips and tricks and whatnot but whenever I've gone down this path, I've always found it boils down to a simple strategy, if OUT>IN, I lose weight. If IN>OUT I maintain or gain weight.

Also I'm trying to subscribe to the theory that I need to eat breakfast, even if it's just a little bit. 1/4 cup of Bear Naked fruit granola today. So I'm 1/1.
Last edited by BSF21 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

BSF21 wrote:
DC47 wrote:
How tall are you?

That's fantastic news DC. Glad to hear you've stuck to it. I really believe that a solid support system in the house is the best way to stay honest. It's nice that your wife has bought into what you're trying to accomplish. BSFGF has always been in a hell of a lot better shape than me (she's run 2 marathons in the last 2 months, 3 weeks apart) but she's also a vegetarian, which has it's ups and downs. I eat a lot less red meat than I used to. Lot's more chicken, some pork on occasion. I maybe eat red meat once a month if I really want a burger while we're out to eat. I've incorporated a lot more veggies in my own diet, as well as more grains like quinoa, and a lot more legumes.I must eat a can of black beans every 2-3 days at this point.

The hardest part about doing this is knowing I can't outrun a diet with exercise. I still love to play sports and get a good mix of racquetball and basketball in every week, in addition to playing on some rec soccer and softball teams when the weather permits. It's staying disciplined in the kitchen that I find difficult. I love to cook. I love sweets. I love beer and bourbon. None of those are conducive to overall weight loss.

For now, the tricks are simple. More cardio, light to moderate lifting (as Johnnie/Bronto will tell me, it's hard to put on muscle while eating at a caloric deficit), and tracking everything I eat every day without exception. Also 5 days a week I drink nothing but water and black coffee, with the exception of a swing of OJ or 1% milk here and there. Everyone has tips and tricks and whatnot but whenever I've gone down this path, I've always found it boils down to a simple strategy, if OUT>IN, I lose weight. If IN>OUT I maintain or gain weight.

Also I'm trying to subscribe to the theory that I need to eat breakfast, even if it's just a little bit. 1/4 cup of Bear Naked fruit granola today. So I'm 1/1.
Bolded is generally how I feel as well, except I don't love sweets, and I don't play rec sports anymore. The best results I've had have been when I've stuck to the Sugarbusters diet (thanks Howard). Also, I've found that my motivation to eat right and to exercise more feed off of each other, and attacking getting healthier from both fronts adds extra success. For me, 1+1=3. I tipped the scales at 200 right after Thanksgiving, and I'm working towards getting under 190 again as my next goal, with something just over 180 as my second goal. That, and decreasing my 5k times. My plan is to try to be more aware of my food intake and to run 3-4 times per week and to lift heavy things 2-3 times per week, while continuing to sign up for 5ks for added motivation/accountability.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Last night I bought a pair of 32" waist jeans (for the Swamp old-timers, no....my mom did not pay for them) for the first time in about 20 years (at least). Last weekend, my GF brought home a pair of 34" waist Levis 511's, and told me that my 36" waist 501's were way too baggy. I tried those on, and thought "ya know...I bet I could go one size smaller". So last night at the store I tried on the 32", and bought two pairs of Levis 514. (the 32" 511's were too tight in the thighs).

I guess the following factors have paid off:

1-Swimming 1500-2000 yards every morning before work
2-Doing the bike commute every day (add's up to about 60-70 miles a week)
3-Living with the GF who eats pretty healthy
4-Drinking way less beer (but way more red wine, so that's probably a wash)
5-No seconds! <- I think that's probably the biggest factor...portion control!

Could a pair of 30" jeans be in the future? I'm at about 182lbs right now, and I'd be really psyched if I could get to between 170-175.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

To be honest though, Levi's are very inconsistent in their sizes. Some 32s are pretty much actually 34" and vice-versa. Length is even more inconsistent.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote:To be honest though, Levi's are very inconsistent in their sizes. Some 32s are pretty much actually 34" and vice-versa. Length is even more inconsistent.
Don't shatter my delusions!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

There can be only one DiS. FIGHT!!!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.