OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Post by govmentchedda »

I love yoga, but never do it. It always makes my nearly 41 year old body feel much more limber.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:51 am I love yoga, but never do it. It always makes my nearly 41 year old body feel much more limber.
Yeah. Even as much pain as it imparted, I felt better after - and at 47, feeling a little more limber and better balanced is now something on my list of things to work toward.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:53 am
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:51 am I love yoga, but never do it. It always makes my nearly 41 year old body feel much more limber.
Yeah. Even as much pain as it imparted, I felt better after - and at 47, feeling a little more limber and better balanced is now something on my list of things to work toward.
It may be intuitive to you kids, but I'm 58 and I can't begin to tell you how much less flexible I am nowadays, compared to even just a few years ago. And, I go to the gym and stretch regularly. So, yoga (or just stretching) is a good habit to get into.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:41 am Going after it again - this time with a long-term stretch goal of an event in April 2019.

Started at 238.4 on January 13 - which is the heaviest I have ever been. I was truly unhappy.

At 217.8 as of Saturday, and feeling much better (down three notches in the belt).

My work clothes are back to fitting, so that's nice. Still chasing that elusive 170-175.
Two months since I started this on January 13 - down to 207 as of Saturday. Really REALLY looking forward to getting below 200 - since that gets me back into the goddamn "overweight" part of the BMI charts for my height.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So I talked myself into supporting my wife who is going to get into shape to do a 5K for cancer awareness. We just started an 8 week, get-in-shape-or-else program (powered by this C25K app).

My calves are killing me, and once I finished my first run (30 minutes of walk / run combination where at some point I think the voice in my headphones had a slight mock to her tone), me right knee reminded my I had torn my LCL and broke the crown of my tibia about 5 years or so ago.

Life.

Oh and in case you hadn't known, I'm pretty much out of shape. 230. 6'1.5".
Noli Timere Messorem
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Down 2.6 this week and now at 200 pounds flat. So close to my first goal (get under 200). 38.4 pounds lost since January 13. Progress. I think after consulting with my doctor I am gonna aim at 175. That’s over the stupid bmi chart for “normal” for my height by six pounds but a good number for my body type if I can get to it and hold there.

I last remember being 165-170 in college. Seems unlikely I can hold it in that range at age 47 - hence aiming at 175. Still a long way to go.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

God damn dude, nice work!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Has anyone done the keto diet?

I started on this diet about a week and a half ago, and damn, it's making a good impact for me. I lost three pounds in the first week, but more importantly, I have much more energy than before. I start the day with a bulletproof coffee (a cup of coffee with a tablespoon of coconut oil; most recipes call for butter too but I'm not putting that in for now), and then have a mix of fat and protein for lunch and dinner. I'm astounded at how much better I feel.

I had to make some changes to my diet because I recently did a food sensitivity test, and it found I'm severely sensitive to yeasts and very sensitive to dairy, eggs and most nuts. I decided to cut out the following for the next three months and see how I feel:

- Alcohol
- Bread of any kind
- Cow dairy
- Eggs
- Kale
- Pineapples
- All nuts except peanuts

Once the weather warms up some more, I plan on jumping on my bike and riding the hell out of it this summer. I'm hoping by the end of the summer I can get to below 200 pounds, which would be the first time I've done that in more than 25 years.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Good luck Sabo.

I am still grinding away at it. Since last update on this thread down 3.8 to get me to 196.2. That's 42.4 so far (or three stone if I were Welsh). Really pumped to try to get to the 50-pound loss mark for my next goal.

Think I would like to get to 166 after all. That's 30 pounds from here. We shall see. Am thinking about running a 5K this weekend, and on progress that really matters, had to go seek out some new jeans and was stunned to see the size that I need is 34 inch waist. It has been a long time since that was the waist size to shop in when I am forced to get clothes. I believe my waist was around 42 inches when this started. Maybe a little more truth be told.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Had high cholesterol again so the doctor put me on medicine for the first time. As such, time for a pretty big lifestyle change as far as what I eat on a daily basis. Luckily, we have a pretty good arsenal of delicious meals that are simultaneously good for us and the gym is a 6-minute drive. It's really going to be kicking the alcohol out of my life save for a day or two a week that's going to be the toughest thing, but I know as soon as I see my belly decreasing, my wallet getting fatter, and my numbers go down, it'll be worth it.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Good friend of mine just finished 10th in her age group (W 40-44) in Boston today in absolutely horrendous weather. Her 2nd marathon ever.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:57 pm Had high cholesterol again so the doctor put me on medicine for the first time. As such, time for a pretty big lifestyle change as far as what I eat on a daily basis. Luckily, we have a pretty good arsenal of delicious meals that are simultaneously good for us and the gym is a 6-minute run or bike ride. It's really going to be kicking the alcohol out of my life save for a day or two a week that's going to be the toughest thing, but I know as soon as I see my belly decreasing, my wallet getting fatter, and my numbers go down, it'll be worth it.
FIFY
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:03 pm
Giff wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:57 pm Had high cholesterol again so the doctor put me on medicine for the first time. As such, time for a pretty big lifestyle change as far as what I eat on a daily basis. Luckily, we have a pretty good arsenal of delicious meals that are simultaneously good for us and the gym is a 6-minute run or bike ride. It's really going to be kicking the alcohol out of my life save for a day or two a week that's going to be the toughest thing, but I know as soon as I see my belly decreasing, my wallet getting fatter, and my numbers go down, it'll be worth it.
FIFY
You're right. There's not currently a safe way to get there (or one I'd feel comfortable taking) due to construction, but once that's done in the next couple of months that's what I'll be doing.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sabo wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:52 am Has anyone done the keto diet?

I started on this diet about a week and a half ago, and damn, it's making a good impact for me. I lost three pounds in the first week, but more importantly, I have much more energy than before. I start the day with a bulletproof coffee (a cup of coffee with a tablespoon of coconut oil; most recipes call for butter too but I'm not putting that in for now), and then have a mix of fat and protein for lunch and dinner. I'm astounded at how much better I feel.

I had to make some changes to my diet because I recently did a food sensitivity test, and it found I'm severely sensitive to yeasts and very sensitive to dairy, eggs and most nuts. I decided to cut out the following for the next three months and see how I feel:

- Alcohol
- Bread of any kind
- Cow dairy
- Eggs
- Kale
- Pineapples

Once the weather warms up some more, I plan on jumping on my bike and riding the hell out of it this summer. I'm hoping by the end of the summer I can get to below 200 pounds, which would be the first time I've done that in more than 25 years.
That is a weird diet, Sabo. Coconut oil has tons of saturated fat, which I am now paying attention to. And, unless there is a sensitivity issue, why are you eliminating kale? Greens are very healthy. And, aside from a lot of sugar in it, pineapple has some great health benefits such as the bromelain enzyme and vitamin C.

As for myself, since the heart attack, the cardiologist didn't put as many restrictions on my diet as I expected. Just some generic talk about eating a "heart-healthy" diet, eliminating saturated fats, and limiting my alcohol to two moderate drinks a day. The biggest change has been eliminating ice cream and eggs (substituted frozen yogurt and egg whites), and reducing peanut butter and sugar, while increasing vegetables. I've actually lost a couple pounds already. But, I can't exercise much yet. Only dog walking is approved, and I'm missing my three aggressive gym sessions per week. I'm not even supposed to lift over five pounds at a time now - I feel like such an infant. But, I have a checkup in a week, and he said he will be putting me in a cardiac rehab exercise program, so that might be interesting. Maybe hang out with some hottie 75 year-olds!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:27 pmThat is a weird diet, Sabo. Coconut oil has tons of saturated fat, which I am now paying attention to. And, unless there is a sensitivity issue, why are you eliminating kale? Greens are very healthy. And, aside from a lot of sugar in it, pineapple has some great health benefits such as the bromelain enzyme and vitamin C.
Kale is one of the foods that came up in the food sensitivity test. And I love pineapple, but I'm removing it solely because it was flagged in the test, too.

I won't pretend I understand the science behind all of it, but from what I've read, coconut oil isn't as bad as it looks on the surface. But it is high in medium chain triglycerides, which is easily converted into body energy. As I mentioned in my post, since I've gone on the keto diet, I have much more energy than I did before. I also can breathe much better through my nose, which is a benefit I didn't expect.

And because fat is so satisfying, you don't need to each much before you feel full. I eat substantially less food than I used to, and I've also lost about 15 pounds during that time. And my sugar intake is almost nil, which is good since there's a history of type II diabetes in my family. You still have to eat vegetables, and I try to include them in all of my meals. I usually eat spinach, asparagus, broccoli or cauliflower whenever I have meat because they're very low in carbs.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Well, that all makes sense. OK, carry on!
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Former co-worker dropped close to 100 lbs on the Keto diet along with regular exercise. I believe that was in 9 months or so. He added about 40 back on since he stopped.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I have some concerns about how to wean myself off the keto diet, but I'm not going to worry about that until I get closer to my target weight. I still have a ways to go before I have to think about that.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Sabo wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:52 am Has anyone done the keto diet?

- Alcohol
- Bread of any kind
- Cow dairy
- Eggs
- Kale
- Pineapples

1. good job!

2. please for the love of god don't drink "bulletproof coffee"

3. that's really the only change you should/need to make
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yea, bulletproof coffee is a sham. Sure, it tastes good (fat = flavor), but it's not some breakthrough of any kind. It's also expensive as shit when you get branded MCT oil. Black coffee is fine on its own - especially before a workout because caffeine.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:47 pm2. please for the love of god don't drink "bulletproof coffee"
Please explain.

ETA: And just to clarify, I'm not buying the Bulletproof Coffee brand of coffee for this. I'm just using dark roast. But I'm finding the coconut oil and coffee mix works great for me in multiple ways.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:41 am Yea, bulletproof coffee is a sham. Sure, it tastes good (fat = flavor), but it's not some breakthrough of any kind. It's also expensive as shit when you get branded MCT oil. Black coffee is fine on its own - especially before a workout because caffeine.
Or to get you jacked up to sit in front of a computer for 8-10 hours.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Sabo wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:04 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:47 pm2. please for the love of god don't drink "bulletproof coffee"
Please explain.

ETA: And just to clarify, I'm not buying the Bulletproof Coffee brand of coffee for this. I'm just using dark roast. But I'm finding the coconut oil and coffee mix works great for me in multiple ways.
you're *likely* experiencing the placebo effect in terms of how you feel (and the placebo effect is real!)

if you're wanting to do it because of the taste, then I can't argue against that (I like chocolate after all) but in terms of health benefits, there are none. you're just adding fat to your diet. you're already getting those fat sources with a keto diet, so you're just simply adding another layer of sorts with the coconut oil.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:56 pm
Please explain.

you're *likely* experiencing the placebo effect in terms of how you feel (and the placebo effect is real!)

if you're wanting to do it because of the taste, then I can't argue against that (I like chocolate after all) but in terms of health benefits, there are none. you're just adding fat to your diet. you're already getting those fat sources with a keto diet, so you're just simply adding another layer of sorts with the coconut oil.
You're treating sabo like's he's NASCAR's social media team.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:56 pmif you're wanting to do it because of the taste, then I can't argue against that (I like chocolate after all) but in terms of health benefits, there are none. you're just adding fat to your diet. you're already getting those fat sources with a keto diet, so you're just simply adding another layer of sorts with the coconut oil.
You do realize I'm consuming coconut oil because I'm on the keto diet? Coconut oil is a bit of a staple for this kind of diet because you're supposed to get the fat from vegetable sources as much as possible. Avocados and olive oil are staples, too. Or are you suggesting I should get my fats from food sources instead of oils?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:00 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:56 pm
Please explain.

You're treating sabo like's he's NASCAR's social media team.
I read that three times to make sure I wasn't appearing to be a dick, dammit!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Down to 191.8. Lost .8 and 3.6 in the last two weeks. Next big milestone is 50 pounds which is 3.4 from here. Successfully (but slowly) ran a 5k last Saturday, which was progress.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Down 22 pounds in two months. Rather pleased with that.

I also added about 10-15 minutes of daily yoga/stretching to my routine, which was badly needed because I was getting quite sore after any substantial activity.

I'm also considering doing a four-night backpacking trip in southern Ohio this fall and will need to start training for that. I probably will start doing a lot of bridges, squats and Romanian deadlifts to build up my quads and hamstrings.

This getting fit thing is kind of fun! Painful at times, but fun!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Sabo wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 7:35 am Down 22 pounds in two months. Rather pleased with that.

I also added about 10-15 minutes of daily yoga/stretching to my routine, which was badly needed because I was getting quite sore after any substantial activity.

I'm also considering doing a four-night backpacking trip in southern Ohio this fall and will need to start training for that. I probably will start doing a lot of bridges, squats and Romanian deadlifts to build up my quads and hamstrings.

This getting fit thing is kind of fun! Painful at times, but fun!
Congrats. If you have access to a gym, pick up 20 pounds of free weights just to remind yourself why your knees should be feeling better and to remember what it felt like to haul that around.

Also, where you aiming for the backpacking trip in Southern Ohio? I assume there will be elevation gain and loss on the hike if it is SE Ohio - take time leading up to that to practice walking hills with a loaded pack...(that can wait until closer in, but it's worth doing some training ahead of time).
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

tennbengal wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:41 amCongrats. If you have access to a gym, pick up 20 pounds of free weights just to remind yourself why your knees should be feeling better and to remember what it felt like to haul that around.

Also, where you aiming for the backpacking trip in Southern Ohio? I assume there will be elevation gain and loss on the hike if it is SE Ohio - take time leading up to that to practice walking hills with a loaded pack...(that can wait until closer in, but it's worth doing some training ahead of time).
Thanks!

There are two overnight backpacking trails in SE Ohio: Zaleski State Forest backpack trail (somewhat near Athens) and Shawnee State Forest backpack trail (outside Portsmouth). I'm planning on doing Zaleski first because it's shorter and reportedly has less elevation change. And with Zaleski, the camp sites are anywhere from 6-8 miles apart, so I won't need to push myself to get to each camp site.

I plan on hiking with a fully loaded pack during my training. There are a couple of trails in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park that have some decent elevation changes and would be ideal training trails. I just need to get some things (most notably, a backpack) before I can start doing that. Fortunately, there's an REI opening on the east side in about two weeks, and there's another excellent outfitter called Appalachian Outfitters that's about 25 minutes from my house.

TB, do you remember the size of your backpack? How many liters of gear can it hold? I figure for a four- or five-night trip I could get by with a 50-60 liter pack.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Osprey - 65 L (maybe 68 L). And you don't want to get "get by" - you want the size that works for your frame. And 4-5 nights is a significant goal for a hike - will you be able to hit stores at any point or are you packing food for all the trip in your pack? Water you can fill as you go (get a good purifying system - I like the gravity ones).

The backpack should be sized for you. REI is great at that. Even if you don't buy from there, go there and try some on with an REI employee to help you figure out the fit. The fit is everything. If you are looking to cut costs, don't start with your pack. Spend coin for a quality pack and a good fit...
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

tennbengal wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:17 am Osprey - 65 L (maybe 68 L). And you don't want to get "get by" - you want the size that works for your frame. And 4-5 nights is a significant goal for a hike - will you be able to hit stores at any point or are you packing food for all the trip in your pack? Water you can fill as you go (get a good purifying system - I like the gravity ones).

The backpack should be sized for you. REI is great at that. Even if you don't buy from there, go there and try some on with an REI employee to help you figure out the fit. The fit is everything. If you are looking to cut costs, don't start with your pack. Spend coin for a quality pack and a good fit...
No stores along the way, so I'll be hauling all of my food. I already have a filtration system, and the Zaleski trail has water pipes at select locations.

And I am definitely going to get fitted for my backpack, most likely at REI. I hope to buy it sometime in June so I'll be able to start doing some training hikes this summer. I have a good chunk of gear already (tent, sleeping bag, mat, cooking gear, filter and other miscellaneous supplies), but I definitely need to get some other things. I've been looking at the Osprey packs quite a bit and have read nothing but good things about them.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

You can add me into the praise for Osprey packs. They are really, really good.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Down to 185.4 (down 2.0 and 4.4 in the last two weeks) which is 53 pounds lost since I started this on January 13 at 238.4. Thinking about a 10K mid-summer and maybe longer race this fall. Still haven't hit the "love running" thing though.

Have set my goal weight for 172 (with doctor's input). That is technically six pounds above BMI range but feels like a much more realistic goal to maintain longer term. So 13.4 to go and then maintain for six weeks within two of that and I would be a lifetime member of WW and stop paying weekly. Would give me access to regular weigh-ins too and I would always have access to the app.

Progress.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Very impressive.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Saw him (and Geep) recently. He looks great.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

tennbengal wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:47 am Down to 185.4 (down 2.0 and 4.4 in the last two weeks) which is 53 pounds lost since I started this on January 13 at 238.4. Thinking about a 10K mid-summer and maybe longer race this fall. Still haven't hit the "love running" thing though.

Have set my goal weight for 172 (with doctor's input). That is technically six pounds above BMI range but feels like a much more realistic goal to maintain longer term. So 13.4 to go and then maintain for six weeks within two of that and I would be a lifetime member of WW and stop paying weekly. Would give me access to regular weigh-ins too and I would always have access to the app.

Progress.
Well done, TB! Glad you've been able to keep this up.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Finished first (and last) in my age group today in a 1.2 mile open water swim. Never did an OWS before, it was kind of insane how much I felt like a fish in a koi pond for about 700 meters or so. Wasn't expecting that much jostling.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:52 pm Finished first (and last) in my age group today in a 1.2 mile open water swim. Never did an OWS before, it was kind of insane how much I felt like a fish in a koi pond for about 700 meters or so. Wasn't expecting that much jostling.
it's awful, isn't it?

It took me more than half the distance the first time I did one to figure out what the fuck to do. even had a brief "YOU ARE GOING TO DROWN" moment before I was like "wait, you know how to swim just keep going."

--

And @ TB (I wish we could @ here) that's damn good. That much of a loss over that period of time is impressive for both quantity and consistency.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:52 am
govmentchedda wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:52 pm Finished first (and last) in my age group today in a 1.2 mile open water swim. Never did an OWS before, it was kind of insane how much I felt like a fish in a koi pond for about 700 meters or so. Wasn't expecting that much jostling.
it's awful, isn't it?

It took me more than half the distance the first time I did one to figure out what the fuck to do. even had a brief "YOU ARE GOING TO DROWN" moment before I was like "wait, you know how to swim just keep going."

--

And @ TB (I wish we could @ here) that's damn good. That much of a loss over that period of time is impressive for both quantity and consistency.
Did the swim with a friend who's done a few Iron Mans (Men?) and he described yesterday's competitors as tame. I can't imagine what it's like in a more competitive race. Luckily, I was able to find the humor in it pretty quickly, and just settled into a rhythm. The craziest thing about this race was the course was that it was down and back along the beach, and I ran head first into someone twice.