OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Re: OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Post by Brontoburglar »

yeah I have a bunch of 31 waist Levis and I'm convinced they're at least 32" if not more.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Shirley wrote:To be honest though, Levi's are very inconsistent in their sizes. Some 32s are pretty much actually 34" and vice-versa. Length is even more inconsistent.
even with the material

the 541s (I think?) are supposed to be athletic fit and have extra room in the ass and thighs + have some stretch. two pairs are the most comfortable jeans I own. another pair is like putting on unwashed denim and may be the least comfortable jeans I own.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I've mentioned that my wife works in a municipal health department. They recently undertook an initiative to make contents of the (lone?) vending machine in town hall healthier. I guess it was relatively involved working with the vendor to choose what to stock based on what was available. All of the sugary drinks were moved out (though diet sodas stayed), and the candy bars and chips became Kind Bar-type things or baked or lower fat/sodium version of snacks. She was pretty happy with how it turned out.

This week was week two of the new vending machine, and the shit hit the fan. They had multiple people come upstairs (via elevator?) to the health department, stand at the front desk and DEMAND Coca Cola or chocolate. They got pressure from the mayor, who claimed he had multiple complaints about the new selections. There is a 7-11 directly across the street from city hall, and if people really want shitty food they could plan ahead and bring their own stash to work for a fraction of the price, but those options are not good enough and next week they are rolling the machine back to Snickers and fried snacks and sugar water.

Pawnee lives.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Pant sizes that begin with the number '3'. Those were the days.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Wait...jeans have vanity sizing? Oh the huge manatee!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

rass wrote:I've mentioned that my wife works in a municipal health department. They recently undertook an initiative to make contents of the (lone?) vending machine in town hall healthier. I guess it was relatively involved working with the vendor to choose what to stock based on what was available. All of the sugary drinks were moved out (though diet sodas stayed), and the candy bars and chips became Kind Bar-type things or baked or lower fat/sodium version of snacks. She was pretty happy with how it turned out.

This week was week two of the new vending machine, and the shit hit the fan. They had multiple people come upstairs (via elevator?) to the health department, stand at the front desk and DEMAND Coca Cola or chocolate. They got pressure from the mayor, who claimed he had multiple complaints about the new selections. There is a 7-11 directly across the street from city hall, and if people really want shitty food they could plan ahead and bring their own stash to work for a fraction of the price, but those options are not good enough and next week they are rolling the machine back to Snickers and fried snacks and sugar water.

Pawnee lives.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Oh man. I need to send that to her. Thanks.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

howard wrote:Pant sizes that begin with the number '3'. Those were the days.
Until you have the exercise and diet thing cranked up to 'Enos Cabell,' just think about the inseam only.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My son and I ran his second 5k this morning. His first was a Turkey Trot this Thanksgiving. He paced himself much better, but still has a lot of work to do with pacing, and shaved 3 minutes off his 5k time. Ended with 28:40. Perhaps this should be in the Proud Parent thread.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I presume you leaned him out at the tape?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Came pretty close to shitting myself this morning.

(I haven't been at work since 12/22, and wasn't feeling well that week so it's been a couple of days longer than that since I've been to the gym. After the testing the temperature by walking the dog, I decided to go for a run. I also had a very good BBQ feast last night for dinner. Luckily I listened to my body and cut the run off at 2 miles.)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Went to gym today to get swole. Was in the locker room changing and a guy - youngish, pretty disheveled looking - comes in and goes to a locker next to mine. He starts small talk, which I generally hate in the locker room, so we're off to a bad start. He's also very difficult to understand, but I muddle through. He asks if I had a good workout, but I just got there, so I say I'm getting ready to go, and take my shirt off. He looks at my stomach and sees my scars from a couple of stomach surgeries and then REACHES OVER AND TOUCHES MY STOMACH and asks about the scars.

WHAT THE FUCK.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That was just Meat Gayzer's sidekick, Scar-Lord.

(But holy shit what did you do? I get pissed enough when out of almost 100 lockers, a good 95 of them unused, someone puts their shit in one near mine.)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I quickly put my t shirt on and pretty much looked straight into my locker and got dressed fast.

I think there's a chance he had a mental condition - a guy was helping him get his stuff together when I went back in to change after my workout - which I guess should soften the weirdness a bit but it was still very offputting.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Well, I'm willing to bet there is a not small segment of gym-goers who would punch first and ask questions later under those circumstances. That guy is lucky that of all the bellies he might have chosen to caress, he picked yours.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yeah, that guy is lucky he didn't try that shit with someone more diesel.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote:I quickly put my t shirt on and pretty much looked straight into my locker and got dressed fast.

I think there's a chance he had a mental condition - a guy was helping him get his stuff together when I went back in to change after my workout - which I guess should soften the weirdness a bit but it was still very offputting.
Well, that second paragraph makes all of the difference. I withdraw all of my shock. Now, I feel bad for the dude.
Totally Kafkaesque
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

It rarely fails that either when I'm alone in the locker room someone comes in and needs access to a locker adjacent to mine or when I enter the locker room, someone is always currently changing in the vicinity of my locker, no matter how busy it is.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote:
A_B wrote:I quickly put my t shirt on and pretty much looked straight into my locker and got dressed fast.

Well, that second paragraph makes all of the difference. I withdraw all of my shock. Now, I feel bad for the dude.
Yeah, I'm guessing that the guy was developmentally challenged in some way.

Kelsey (the GF's daughter) goes to Planet Fitness, with a caregiver, on a pretty regular basis, and I would be she gets some odd looks.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I went skiing Saturday. First time since my accident/tibial plateau fracture back on March 2nd, 2011.

Took it really easy...nothing but groomers. But felt really good...felt like my turns were pretty solid. Knee didn't bother me at all while skiing (but did twinge a bit when walking across the parking lot at the end of the day).
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Brontoburglar wrote:It rarely fails that either when I'm alone in the locker room someone comes in and needs access to a locker adjacent to mine or when I enter the locker room, someone is always currently changing in the vicinity of my locker, no matter how busy it is.
I feel like this is sport for the employees at my YMCA.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote:REACHES OVER AND TOUCHES MY STOMACH and asks about the scars.
And, A_B's getting LARGER!

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Last week I was able to get a 360 lb back squat and tonight I hit a 275 lb clean. (I was very close to 285.) I really want 300 now.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Gotta give it your all at the gym.

Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I've never seen 602 pounds levitate. How did it do that?

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So...after finally beating back this latest round of depression and sourcing and dealing with a persistent digestive issue that was giving me horrible vomiting episodes at night and making it hard to sleep, I checked in at 230.4 on March 7 with pretty terrible other measurements for a 46-year-old 5 foot 8 and a half inch human person.

Spurred on by a weight loss challenge at the place where I have a gym membership but had not exactly been a regular attendee, I embarked on the 8-week challenge with a self-directed approach of averaging no more than 1500 calories a day and intentional exercise each week of at least 350 minutes. For exercise, the plan was a combination of swimming, walking, spinning, bicycling and eventually incorporating running as I felt I could. Also, to make bronto happy, occasionally lifting weights, but I hate that part. A lot.

To deal with the food, have kept a log of everything I eat and calculated as best I can the calories for each thing eaten (and have incorporated a lot more green things and healthy grains). Have logged every bit of intentional exercise (but not logging walking from car into work etc.). I have generally been good about staying at the 1500 calorie a day on average part, some days more, some days less. Have not denied myself any food when I wanted, enjoying steak, for instance, in NYC at the annual fantasy draft sojourn.

In any event, so far after 8 weeks, I have lost 21.2 pounds, which is a 9.2% total weight loss. 4% body fat gone, and down 6 inches on my waist, 4 inches on my hips, and 3.5 inches on my abs.

So, that's a good start. I still have 10 pounds to lose to get below the very important (to me) hurdle of being below 200. Also would make me simply "overweight" on the BMI charts, and I would like to move to that. Longer term, to be within alleged healthy weight range at my height that is around 165. I can't get there, but wouldn't mind making it to around 180 at some point. So losing another 29 pounds would be the next part of my goal. I am almost halfway through couch to 5K and would like to run a 5 K in late May/early June. I have biked 25 miles on two of the last three weekends and would like to bike more and longer.

So, I will try and keep it up. I am sleeping better and feel better, even with a long way to go.

Mostly putting this here to help keep myself accountable.
Last edited by tennbengal on Tue May 02, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Congrats Bengal!

Glad to hear you're seeing some immediate benefits to your sleep and energy in addition to the size coming off. Stick with it!

___

Since this is up here...my buddies and I have been running a Facebook group running challenge the past several months. One of the guys is running the half-marathon in Indy this weekend and I was thoroughly whomping him in everything below the 10K mark for a few months but now he's in tip-top and I really fell off the wagon last month. I held the 5K record for 3 consecutive months and he edged me in March by 4 seconds. Until yesterday I hadn't run since, and had barely been to the gym. My main hobby in the nice weather is Disc Golf, which I know is nice walking exercise, but it sure doesn't help the cardio like going to the gym and busting ass like I did last night.

Gonna try to reclaim the title this month. I want to hit my 5K in 21:00 flat and I was awful close in Feb and March.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nice work Bengal and BSF. I'm trying to work my way back from a wonky left hamstring. It seems like running is the easiest way for me to maintain my weight. Being away from it for three months now has been difficult. I've generally swam 3-4 times a week for the past month, and lifted and/or rode the stationary bike 1-2 times a week. Also, I've added yoga, and I think that's helped my leg heal a ton. Well, the yoga, the anti-inflammatory shot, the 7 day steroid regimen, and the 800 mg ibuprofen have all helped.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I am inflexible as hell, but am now wondering if, even with that, yoga might not help me with the weight loss goals.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I've said it on here many swamp iterations ago, and I keep getting comfortable in my routine of forgetting about it until I get injured, but yoga is the best. I don't go to a class. I just either google Yogamazing (the cheap route), or now download the Yogamazing app (apparently also free, but I feel like I paid for it before), and do a 20 minute session. It's just enough yoga to keep me limber and stretched out. If I can do yoga 2-3 times per week, I feel much better about things.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

govmentchedda wrote:I've said it on here many swamp iterations ago, and I keep getting comfortable in my routine of forgetting about it until I get injured, but yoga is the best. I don't go to a class. I just either google Yogamazing (the cheap route), or now download the Yogamazing app (apparently also free, but I feel like I paid for it before), and do a 20 minute session. It's just enough yoga to keep me limber and stretched out. If I can do yoga 2-3 times per week, I feel much better about things.
Thanks - will look into that.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Mrs. Sabo and I started doing a mix of yoga poses and isometric exercises about a month ago, and it's helped is both greatly. We started off holding each pose for 15 seconds, then resting 15 seconds, until we did all of the exercises. We do this daily. After two weeks, we increased the time to 20 seconds per pose, then resting 20 seconds, and will add five seconds after two more weeks until we get to 30 seconds. Once we get to 30, we'll start to add more poses and exercises.

Here's our list of exercises:

1. Yoga corpse pose for one minute.
2. Bridge
3. Hollow body hold (https://www.fitstream.com/exercises/hol ... hold-a6051)
4. Superman (https://www.fitstream.com/exercises/superman-a6050)
5. Down dog pose
6. Child pose
7. Broken table - left arm (get on all fours, extend left arm and right leg out as straight as possible and hold)
8. Broken table - right arm (like above, but switch arm and leg)
9. Down dog pose
10. Cobra pose
11. Chair pose
12. Left foot stand - Stand only on your left foot. Make it harder either by extending your right-foot forward or do the Tree pose.
13. Right foot stand - Just like above, but with your right foot.
14. "Hulk pose" - Stand up, tense all of your leg muscles, arch backwards while extending your arms to the side. Push hips forward and tense as many upper-body muscles as possible. There might be a proper name for this isometric hold, but I call it the Hulk pose.
15. Toe touch - Touch your toes and hold for the length of the pose. Once done, slowly rise up to "roll" your vertebrae.
16. Plank
17. Side plank - left arm. To make it harder, do starfish planks, which really help strengthen the hips (https://www.fitstream.com/exercises/side-plank-star-a72)
18. Side plank - right arm
19. Push up hold - Get into the push up position, raise yourself one inch and hold for the count.
20. Down dog pose
21. Cobra pose
22. Child pose

Since we've been doing this, I've noticed increased strength and flexibility all over my body. I've been dealing with right elbow tendinitis for the last year or so and that pain has decreased. I rarely feel any back pain any more. At first, I couldn't come close to touching my toes, and my heels didn't touch the ground while doing down dog. Now I can touch my toes right away, and my heels are on the ground, or at least damn close.

I'm not losing much weight doing this, but I definitely feel better and have more energy. And it's helped me deal with my stress levels, which have increased significantly due to a work project that will keep me super busy until the end of August.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Heels touching the ground on down dog is my goal. I had a weird kinetic chain thing where I started having foot pain (now diagnosed as the nerve between my 4th and 5th metatarsal getting pinched) and I ignored it. Then one day, months after that issue arose, I went out and ran sprints without properly warming up, and had my hamstring basically go out on me. Then, after not running, but doing a ton of walking, I started to get a little bit of pain right on my heel (all same leg). I still have that heel pain (the very bottom of where my calf muscle attaches to my heel), but it has gotten much better, and my flexibility has greatly improved.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote:NYC at the annual fantasy draft sojourn.
I was curious if this still happened as it did in years long past. If so, I would like to see if I could swing down for the NCAA Tourney/socializing parts.

I will not take a group picture that gets posted in the Swamp until someone requests it be taken down.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
tennbengal wrote:NYC at the annual fantasy draft sojourn.
I was curious if this still happened as it did in years long past. If so, I would like to see if I could swing down for the NCAA Tourney/socializing parts.

I will not take a group picture that gets posted in the Swamp until someone requests it be taken down.
Next year you have a full invite. We've been hitting Keen's the last few years on Friday night before the Saturday draft.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

BSF21 wrote:Congrats Bengal!

Glad to hear you're seeing some immediate benefits to your sleep and energy in addition to the size coming off. Stick with it!

___

Since this is up here...my buddies and I have been running a Facebook group running challenge the past several months. One of the guys is running the half-marathon in Indy this weekend and I was thoroughly whomping him in everything below the 10K mark for a few months but now he's in tip-top and I really fell off the wagon last month. I held the 5K record for 3 consecutive months and he edged me in March by 4 seconds. Until yesterday I hadn't run since, and had barely been to the gym. My main hobby in the nice weather is Disc Golf, which I know is nice walking exercise, but it sure doesn't help the cardio like going to the gym and busting ass like I did last night.

Gonna try to reclaim the title this month. I want to hit my 5K in 21:00 flat and I was awful close in Feb and March.
22:37 last night. Was everything I had. Gotta get in shape for this hockey league!
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

That is a damn fine time. I am halfway through the couch to 5K program now (almost - 13 runs in and 14 to go) and will be happy just to run one straight through in June hopefully.

Lost 1.8 this week, 23 pounds overall now. 10% loss since I started. I have my exercise and food log mapped out through the start of my 25th anniversary trip. 10 weeks from now to then, hoping to lose another 20 or so in that time.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Make sure you don't skip your neck exercises.

Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Seriously looked like her neck snapped. The GHD machine aint nuthin' to fuck wit.