OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Post by mister d »

Different pool?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Hell, Puget Sound and Lake Washington are right there!
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So... Finally got over the notion that my metabolism and level of activity from my 20s was going to "continue to carry me over" into my mid-40s... Joined a gym a few weeks ago, after going through a week trial.

I'm absolutely loving it. I started the endeavor weighing in around 199 and I really haven't seen a ton of progress on that end of things (hovering around 195). But just my overall look - Face is losing the bloat, I can feel things getting toned up.

Gonna meet with a trainer at some point soon (1 hour session comes with the new membership) to get things a little more focused. For now, there's a machine I really like that combines arms and legs (cycling... kind of) and then I just started going through a basic "arms/chest" and "legs" rotation this week on the nice new machines they have upstairs.

I mean, to be brutally honest, I had settled into a pattern of having drinks most nights of the week and because I'm no longer coaching, almost zero physical activity. Part of this is to break out of some pretty bad spiraling bad habits.

So, yeah, I'll start to get more specific with weight goals in the coming weeks. For now, it's establishing a routine and sticking to it. (Bought a gym bag and dopp kit this weekend, just to lose dumb excuses like I can't go this morning, I don't have my shit together.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

If you're going regularly, I'd suggest against the weight goals. Why bother? You should be able to notice the difference in the gym - you can lift more weight and/or reps than you could last week.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Shirley wrote:If you're going regularly, I'd suggest against the weight goals. Why bother? You should be able to notice the difference in the gym - you can lift more weight and/or reps than you could last week.

I agree. After I started working out regularly, my strength went up, muscles became more noticeable, and my waist got trimmer. But, I didn't lose much weight. I guess weight loss is more of a function of your diet than your exercise (unless you don't exercise at all), and I still eat and drink too much.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah I hear you guys. I guess what I was saying is kind of inline with that sentiment. For now, the weight stuff is back burner to the routine and just getting fit again.

I know my wife often tries to do it all at once and it rarely lasts more than a couple of weeks because it's just asking too much all at once.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Terrible form. Every one of them.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZHLv8VFs7T/
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Last night I checked out my handy Strava app, and my total mileage from my bike commuting (one last ride this afternoon) for the year is now at 3096 miles.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Going after it again - this time with a long-term stretch goal of an event in April 2019.

Started at 238.4 on January 13 - which is the heaviest I have ever been. I was truly unhappy.

At 217.8 as of Saturday, and feeling much better (down three notches in the belt).

My work clothes are back to fitting, so that's nice. Still chasing that elusive 170-175. For once, I think I can make it. I seem to have found the mental rhythm anyway. I am working out a ton (and occasionally lifting heavy things to make Bronto happy), but the biggest challenges are ahead - as I try to get the running going. I want to run/walk a 100 miler a year from April. The race I have picked out is a flat course, and I would need to finish in 30 hours. The next three months are about losing fat and getting the running going. Then a year to try and get ready.
Last edited by tennbengal on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Damn dude! That's a hefty goal, good luck.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:46 am Damn dude! That's a hefty goal, good luck.
I know myself. I need something big to work toward or it is too easy to fall into past habits. And, at 47, the body just wants to give in way too easy.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

For the record, the race is an insane goal. You can drop the weight, not that it's easy.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:53 am For the record, the race is an insane goal. You can drop the weight, not that it's easy.
The race and dropping the weight go hand in hand for me, anyway. Otherwise I will get to around 190 - 195 and feel okay and then it will drift back up again. I need something to help me break through.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Congrats Bengal!

I ran 8 miles on Sunday morning with a little running group. Averaged an 8:11 pace. Felt pretty good the whole time but my left knee an hour later had blown up like a balloon. Still pretty painful today. Lots of ice and Advil.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:28 am Congrats Bengal!

I ran 8 miles on Sunday morning with a little running group. Averaged an 8:11 pace. Felt pretty good the whole time but my left knee an hour later had blown up like a balloon. Still pretty painful today. Lots of ice and Advil.
That's way faster than I am aiming at, nice pace.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I start tomorrow with a short-term goal of minimal alcohol, eating right, and the gym everyday for next 23 days. My reward is not feeling bad about how much and what I eat/drink the first day of March Madness.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Deployments are a great way to get in shape. Bottles of water are everywhere. You're going to sweat because it's 120 and humid in the summer. The chow hall is full of prepared food that you can portion right.

So I've been doing what I can. No alcohol. No soda. Sugar only in my coffee, and it's not that much. Plus I don't drink coffee every day. I drink water as often as possible. Eat nearly the same thing every day. (Chicken and veggies, sometimes some rice) Consider a pancake once in a while or a carbohydrate-based snack a cheat, whatever.

Unfortunately I'm on the opposite side from where the main gym, and by extension, the outdoor crossfit gym is. So I'm back to running 2-4 miles on the treadmill. It would be more, but I get really tired. Been doing this for a few weeks consistently now. I can tell I'm getting smaller because of how far around my back my belt loops after folding the excess fabric of my pants.

But...I've barely lost any weight. I think I'm 206, at best. Like, what the fuck is wrong with me? Back in August I did the drastic thing of doing the mono diet. Like Penn Jillette I just ate potatoes alone for two weeks. I also drank water and ran 14 miles a week. I went from 213-ish to 199 by the end of the month. I passed my pt test. Obviously, once I went back to eating like a regular person the weight came back.

I don't get it. Does my sleep apnea affect this? Do I have a thyroid issue? My buddy who runs all the time is deployed too and he's lost 17 pounds "without really trying" according to him. I don't like being over 200 pounds and if I lost all my gainz, so be it. Honestly, if I weren't so paranoid about my pt test for the rest of my career I wouldn't care as much, but I have three years and change and I can't fuck up my retirement.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Welcome to not being 25 anymore.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:57 pm Deployments are a great way to get in shape. Bottles of water are everywhere. You're going to sweat because it's 120 and humid in the summer. The chow hall is full of prepared food that you can portion right.

So I've been doing what I can. No alcohol. No soda. Sugar only in my coffee, and it's not that much. Plus I don't drink coffee every day. I drink water as often as possible. Eat nearly the same thing every day. (Chicken and veggies, sometimes some rice) Consider a pancake once in a while or a carbohydrate-based snack a cheat, whatever.

Unfortunately I'm on the opposite side from where the main gym, and by extension, the outdoor crossfit gym is. So I'm back to running 2-4 miles on the treadmill. It would be more, but I get really tired. Been doing this for a few weeks consistently now. I can tell I'm getting smaller because of how far around my back my belt loops after folding the excess fabric of my pants.

But...I've barely lost any weight. I think I'm 206, at best. Like, what the fuck is wrong with me? Back in August I did the drastic thing of doing the mono diet. Like Penn Jillette I just ate potatoes alone for two weeks. I also drank water and ran 14 miles a week. I went from 213-ish to 199 by the end of the month. I passed my pt test. Obviously, once I went back to eating like a regular person the weight came back.

I don't get it. Does my sleep apnea affect this? Do I have a thyroid issue? My buddy who runs all the time is deployed too and he's lost 17 pounds "without really trying" according to him. I don't like being over 200 pounds and if I lost all my gainz, so be it. Honestly, if I weren't so paranoid about my pt test for the rest of my career I wouldn't care as much, but I have three years and change and I can't fuck up my retirement.
so you're physically smaller but allegedly weigh the same and you're unhappy about it? which leads me to this, because I may be dense with that first question -- what does your # have to do with passing the PT test. is it factored in?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Air Force PT test consists of push up, sit ups (each done in a minute), running, and waist circumference. Ignore the red boxes and words:

I'm 34, so check the chart on the right. As long as my waist is 35" or less, I'll get max points. If I get above a 90 I'll only test once a year. My issue with my size is the I'm 5'7". My stride is not that long. I also live in ABQ which is a mile high of altitude. The more weight I carry means the more weight I have to move and more energy I need to expend. All things combined, I'm always in fear of failing.

If I'm doing everything right by what I'm eating and how far I'm running and I'm not losing weight, it seems like something is wrong.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Serious question - are you regular? Do you shit often enough? If you are retaining it, you might consider more fiber and probiotics.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

My gastro doc maintains hat probiotics are an expensive scam that can be avoided by just eatin a balanced diet
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

As Rass says there, you can get your probiotic benefit from Greek yogurt if you don’t want to take a pill (and Greek yogurt is a great source of protein and calcium - I eat it after working out.) You can easily find articles by the Mayo Clinic, Scientific American, Harvard, etc. attesting that adding probiotics may be beneficial and isn’t harmful. They have to use the “may” qualifier because supplements aren’t tested and approved by the FDA. As to AB’s doc’s characterization of “expensive scam”, none of the articles I referenced say or imply it is a “scam” and yogurt and/or probiotic pills aren’t pricey.

But, hey, I take a multivitamin every day too, and your doc might say that is also an expensive waste of money. If so, so be it.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yup. Once a day. And believe it or not, better than the shits I'd be taking back home. I haven't had diarrhea once and I'm in a deployed location. Food in America is bad for you.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

"hat probiotics" you guys
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:39 pm The Air Force PT test consists of push up, sit ups (each done in a minute), running, and waist circumference. Ignore the red boxes and words:

I'm 34, so check the chart on the right. As long as my waist is 35" or less, I'll get max points. If I get above a 90 I'll only test once a year. My issue with my size is the I'm 5'7". My stride is not that long. I also live in ABQ which is a mile high of altitude. The more weight I carry means the more weight I have to move and more energy I need to expend. All things combined, I'm always in fear of failing.

If I'm doing everything right by what I'm eating and how far I'm running and I'm not losing weight, it seems like something is wrong.
I guess I'm still confused as to why you're still hung up on the scale unless you have concrete evidence that it's impacting your performance.

Also, you're not going to see *that much* decrease in performance if the only contributing factor is being at 207 vs. 199. and it's not uncommon to perform better at a slightly higher weight
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It's not performance, per se. I just don't want to be this heavy until I'm done with the military. I figure if I weigh less at least I'll not feel like I'm fat (yes that sounds insecure as hell). I was around 185-190 and able to run 5-6 miles at a time when I did Ragnars while living in Arizona.

When I did only metabolic conditioning via crossfit (my year in Korea) I posted the best run times of my life. I distinctly remember getting on a scale at 192 towards the beginning of the tour and getting on a scale when leaving and I was still 192. It was wild to me that 4-5 months of crossfit made me better with cardio and I remained the same weight. Once I got to Germany the programming added weight lifting, I got to 205, but my cardio suffered immensely. Plus I started using a CPAP machine because I couldn't sleep more than 2 hours at a time.

When I got to ABQ (and started living in the altitude) I thought I'd get better but haven't. Plus my weight went up to and sometimes past 215. This despite doing a bodpod measurement in 2016 at 200 pounds.

So I'm figuring at this point it's a combination of age, metabolism going to shit, sleep health, maybe a breathing issue because I'm out of breath and very tired 10 minutes into a workout, and something I'm not doing right. When 2 pm rolls around I can get dead tired (probably a good coma issue since I haven't experienced that here yet). I am at the point where I can gain weight very easily but not get stronger necessarily.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

FWIW, the probiotics I was talking about are the juices that cost $8 for a quart and the supplements that come out to $1 a pill. I've had a lot of gastro issues, so I asked about their utility and the doc said to get them from yogurts like you said and don't worry about the stuff that is being branded and sold as gut-healers so much.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:24 pm It's not performance, per se. I just don't want to be this heavy until I'm done with the military. I figure if I weigh less at least I'll not feel like I'm fat (yes that sounds insecure as hell). I was around 185-190 and able to run 5-6 miles at a time when I did Ragnars while living in Arizona.

When I did only metabolic conditioning via crossfit (my year in Korea) I posted the best run times of my life. I distinctly remember getting on a scale at 192 towards the beginning of the tour and getting on a scale when leaving and I was still 192. It was wild to me that 4-5 months of crossfit made me better with cardio and I remained the same weight. Once I got to Germany the programming added weight lifting, I got to 205, but my cardio suffered immensely. Plus I started using a CPAP machine because I couldn't sleep more than 2 hours at a time.

When I got to ABQ (and started living in the altitude) I thought I'd get better but haven't. Plus my weight went up to and sometimes past 215. This despite doing a bodpod measurement in 2016 at 200 pounds.

So I'm figuring at this point it's a combination of age, metabolism going to shit, sleep health, maybe a breathing issue because I'm out of breath and very tired 10 minutes into a workout, and something I'm not doing right. When 2 pm rolls around I can get dead tired (probably a good coma issue since I haven't experienced that here yet). I am at the point where I can gain weight very easily but not get stronger necessarily.
If you're getting physically smaller as you noted earlier, I would stop freaking out about the scale entirely and not give a fuck. I have no fucking clue what I weigh, nor do I really want to know. when my jeans/dress pants start to feel smaller, it's time to tighten up for a couple weeks
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I saw you on tv near that racing car. You way like 315 pounds. Eat less food.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:30 pm I saw you on tv near that racing car. You way like 315 pounds. Eat less food.
They say that television adds like 10 pounds, so give him a break.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:47 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:30 pm I saw you on tv near that racing car. You way like 315 pounds. Eat less food.
Break him off a piece of that Kit-Kat bar, most likely.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Giff wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:48 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:47 pm
Break him off a piece of that Kit-Kat bar, most likely.
I did eat a lot of M&Ms in Daytona. gotta support the sponsors.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Definitely Daytona I was referring to. Not the other one before that. You looked great there.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I took my first Yoga class last night and, well, damn. That was an eye-opener as to just how unbendy, unsteady, and out of shape I have been my whole life. Even when I was in shape.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:47 am I took my first Yoga class last night and, well, damn. That was an eye-opener as to just how unbendy, unsteady, and out of shape I have been my whole life. Even when I was in shape.
Yoga is no joke. Is it strange that I don't find the poses where you sit that work your legs and core nearly as hard as I do holding my fucking arms out for an hour in warrior pose? That shit kills me. I can plank for a minute and chair sit all day but make me hold my arms out for 30 seconds and I wanna scream.

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:02 am
tennbengal wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:47 am I took my first Yoga class last night and, well, damn. That was an eye-opener as to just how unbendy, unsteady, and out of shape I have been my whole life. Even when I was in shape.
Yoga is no joke. Is it strange that I don't find the poses where you sit that work your legs and core nearly as hard as I do holding my fucking arms out for an hour in warrior pose? That shit kills me. I can plank for a minute and chair sit all day but make me hold my arms out for 30 seconds and I wanna scream.
An HOUR of warrior pose? No thanks. Doing it for the little bit I did last night was plenty. The class (it is at my gym) has in its specs that it burns around 550 calories in the 50 minute class, and I was wondering how that could be. 20 minutes in and sweat pouring off me and I thought, "oh, got it, that's how".

I plan to keep at it. I felt better after, actually.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:34 am
BSF21 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:02 am
An HOUR of warrior pose? No thanks. Doing it for the little bit I did last night was plenty. The class (it is at my gym) has in its specs that it burns around 550 calories in the 50 minute class, and I was wondering how that could be. 20 minutes in and sweat pouring off me and I thought, "oh, got it, that's how".

I plan to keep at it. I felt better after, actually.
I'll say as much shit as it gets, it works. And you can bust ass at it for an hour and get a great workout in, or you can do 25 minutes at the end of the day to center and stretch and feel great afterwards. I like that mod-ability.