OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:51 am
A_B wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:12 am I thought the peloton let you experience a ride anywhere around the world, like you're actually biking in the alps or some shit. I don't want to watch some idiot cycling on my screen and yelling at me.
I thought the latter was the main draw of peloton. Do a "spin class" whenever you want
Yeah maybe but that's not the one i was thinking of. Looks like I was thinking of some tour de france branded thing that uses google street view.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

File this under "Down, Shut It"

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I am an honorary West Virginian.

Which way to the give up, get depressed, and balloon up like Steven Seagal thread?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That should be on billboards.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Friday morning I did my PT test as part of regulation and I got a 92.4. (out of 100)

34.5 inch waist. 58 push ups (in a minute). 63 sit ups (in a minute). 11:59 mile and a half. (corrected down to 11:56 due to altitude)

I'm 35 and felt that run hard. Not to mention that this altitude sucks and a juniper tree, which I'm allergic to, is right next to the track.

But I kick the can for a year and that's all that matters. For a month leading up to it I did the Whole 30 diet to lose weight, plus I ran a bunch, and led plenty of squadron pt to focus on both strength and cardio. I felt really good about myself and that was amplified by my shop cheering me on. I pushed extra hard at the end and yakked, but it was worth it.

Now if only I can motivate the 18-21 year olds in my squadron that are failing. That would be nice.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Figure I might as well ask the swamp since the group ultimately gets to the right answer about everything... Anyway I've lost about 15 pounds over the past 3 months. I've pretty much fluctuated between 180-200 since I was 21. In the past 3-4 years I settled in at 185 or so but I've dropped to 170 during the last 3 months. The wife went on a diet around that same time trying to lose weight for a trip with a bunch of her childhood friends to DR this summer (I know) so the whole family has been impacted. That combined with workload (a very good thing) means that I skip meals regularly and there's nothing in the house for me to do my regular pantry grazing thing. Anyway I am noticably smaller and starting to get concerned. I look good but not sure about the health. I've been trying to do better since I noticed about a month ago... Subway 12 inch meatball this week and Mickey D's in the am but I'm not gaining anything back. Just asking? The wife just gives me the evil eye when I bring it up cause most struggle with the opposite. I am extremely cheap and won't order with the kids at Chick fila or Chipotle and I do cook for them and not eat but just asking. I'm at the age where body parts start breaking down.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:44 pm Figure I might as well ask the swamp since the group ultimately gets to the right answer about everything... Anyway I've lost about 15 pounds over the past 3 months. I've pretty much fluctuated between 180-200 since I was 21. In the past 3-4 years I settled in at 185 or so but I've dropped to 170 during the last 3 months. The wife went on a diet around that same time trying to lose weight for a trip with a bunch of her childhood friends to DR this summer (I know) so the whole family has been impacted. That combined with workload (a very good thing) means that I skip meals regularly and there's nothing in the house for me to do my regular pantry grazing thing. Anyway I am noticably smaller and starting to get concerned. I look good but not sure about the health. I've been trying to do better since I noticed about a month ago... Subway 12 inch meatball this week and Mickey D's in the am but I'm not gaining anything back. Just asking? The wife just gives me the evil eye when I bring it up cause most struggle with the opposite. I am extremely cheap and won't order with the kids at Chick fila or Chipotle and I do cook for them and not eat but just asking. I'm at the age where body parts start breaking down.
Do you feel good? Decent energy level? Are you getting adequate nutrition? If the answers are yes to these, I'd say you are good to go. Take a multi-vitamin each day, too.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah. Feel good. That's what I wanted to hear. Just not my normal.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yeah, if you don't feel constantly fatigued and have energy throughout the day without the assistance of things like sugar and caffeine, you should be ok. If you're concerned, I'm sure some blood tests can be ordered by your PCM.

Also, maybe your metabolism is doing well with the lack of snacks so Subway and McDonald's doesn't have that much of an effect on you. If you really, really want to gain weight, keep eating throughout the day and don't stop until you hate yourself. Ice cream and calorie dense processed foods would assist there.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Fell off the treadmill this morning. Not a euphemism.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Ryan wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:36 am Fell off the treadmill this morning. Not a euphemism.
Yeah, I've done that before. Not a pleasant experience.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I'm switching primary care physicians because frankly I'm sick of having to sit there and nod and smile for 20 minutes while this troglodyte rambles on about the struggles of the white, heterosexual male and explains to me how women love being treated like shit and most of all his complete and utter hard on for the sociopath in the oval office.

Now I could live with someone just not talking about their political views but if I'm being honest, even if a potential new doctor is a silent Trump supporter...I kind of want to know that. I don't really believe in discriminating against people for their political affiliations, however I'm just not comfortable with the person being responsible for my health being able to practice such delusion. I can't trust someone like that with my well-being.

Is it really out of bounds to ask that ahead of time?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

why are those topics coming up at your doctor visits in the first place?

(I agree with your sentiment obviously, just wondering if he's randomly doing this thinking you're sympathetic to the cause or some shit)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, I'm certain it's the white, heterosexual male thing. Absolutely certain of it.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'd never go back to any doctor that was a Trump fan. Same with any service provider who's supposed to be smart (lawyer, accountant, etc.).
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Unfortunately, the rich white male professional demographic skews his way.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I think you've been going to an Arby's.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

My wife works with a lot of doctors and I cannot underestimate how badly most doctors hated the ACA right or wrong. So I can see trumpism despite it being awful too.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Swimming as exercise is fucking exhausting.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Sabo wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:09 am Swimming as exercise is fucking exhausting.
Its not that bad...I'm just getting back into it, after my local pool was closed for 6 months for maintenance work. After a few weeks I'm back in the grove of getting up at 510am (pool opens at 530) and swimming 1500 yards (30 laps) before riding my bike to work.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:59 pm
Sabo wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:09 am Swimming as exercise is fucking exhausting.
Its not that bad...I'm just getting back into it, after my local pool was closed for 6 months for maintenance work. After a few weeks I'm back in the grove of getting up at 510am (pool opens at 530) and swimming 1500 yards (30 laps) before riding my bike to work.
It sucks when you're first getting into it. I've been swimming as exercise for the last two weeks and after each time, I come home and just want to fall asleep. It's good I feel that way because it means I'm working but it sucks because I don't want to feel that fatigued after a work out. I'm still going to keep at it and hope it improves.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sabo wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:35 am
It sucks when you're first getting into it. I've been swimming as exercise for the last two weeks and after each time, I come home and just want to fall asleep. It's good I feel that way because it means I'm working but it sucks because I don't want to feel that fatigued after a work out. I'm still going to keep at it and hope it improves.
In my experience it does. Every time I get back into swimming, I'm exhausted and starving for a few weeks.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:16 am
Sabo wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:35 am
In my experience it does. Every time I get back into swimming, I'm exhausted and starving for a few weeks.
Things are definitely improving. I'm going swimming every other today and am now up to 500 yards (20 laps). When I first started, I could only do one lap before needing to rest, but I can now do two at a time. A couple of lifeguards have been helping me with my pace and breathing patterns, and that's helped a ton. I've also been using a pull buoy a lot, mostly to rest my legs because they're so ridiculously tight. Now, my focus is increasing my laps and eventually doing four at a time before resting. Progress is progress, and I'll take it!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Sabo wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:25 am Things are definitely improving. I'm going swimming every other today and am now up to 500 yards (20 laps). When I first started, I could only do one lap before needing to rest, but I can now do two at a time. A couple of lifeguards have been helping me with my pace and breathing patterns, and that's helped a ton. I've also been using a pull buoy a lot, mostly to rest my legs because they're so ridiculously tight. Now, my focus is increasing my laps and eventually doing four at a time before resting. Progress is progress, and I'll take it!
Not to be 'that guy'....but are you sure you are counting your laps/distance correctly?

25 yard pool (standard size usually) means 1 lap (down and back) is 50 yards...so 20 laps is 1000 yards.

I don't use a pull buoy, but I do 4 laps of kickboard in the middle of my workout. Great for the core/abs...
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:46 am
Sabo wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:25 am Things are definitely improving. I'm going swimming every other today and am now up to 500 yards (20 laps). When I first started, I could only do one lap before needing to rest, but I can now do two at a time. A couple of lifeguards have been helping me with my pace and breathing patterns, and that's helped a ton. I've also been using a pull buoy a lot, mostly to rest my legs because they're so ridiculously tight. Now, my focus is increasing my laps and eventually doing four at a time before resting. Progress is progress, and I'll take it!
Not to be 'that guy'....but are you sure you are counting your laps/distance correctly?

25 yard pool (standard size usually) means 1 lap (down and back) is 50 yards...so 20 laps is 1000 yards.

I don't use a pull buoy, but I do 4 laps of kickboard in the middle of my workout. Great for the core/abs...
To me, one lap is 25 yards. I didn't realize you swimmers were so particular!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Sabo wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:52 am

A length is 25 yards. A lap is down and back, so 50 yards.

And if there's one thing I've discovered in my years of doing the early morning swim sessions, a bunch of regular swimmers are definitely on the spectrum. There's one guy who is at the pool every morning that I've given up trying to even say hello to. You can tell it makes him incredibly uncomfortable.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:35 pm
Sabo wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:52 am

A length is 25 yards. A lap is down and back, so 50 yards.

And if there's one thing I've discovered in my years of doing the early morning swim sessions, a bunch of regular swimmers are definitely on the spectrum. There's one guy who is at the pool every morning that I've given up trying to even say hello to. You can tell it makes him incredibly uncomfortable.
Maybe he just doesn't like chatting it up with a dude in a bolo tie smuggling plums in a pool.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Out of curiosity I wanted to see what drinking a gallon of water a day would do for me. I started the day after Labor Day and I'm going to keep going.

But here's what happened: Absolutely fucking nothing. I don't feel hydrated. It didn't suppress my appetite. What I did learn is that I can drink an entire gallon of water and not have to piss. That seems alarming, but I've been able to not have to break the seal after a night of drinking since forever, so it isn't surprising.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I drink an insane amount of water and I go to the bathroom an insane amount.Ins = outs.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:23 pmI've been able to not have to break the seal after a night of drinking since forever, so it isn't surprising.
Try that when you're 20 years older and you'll see quite a different result. I rarely get through a night without a pee break. That only started in my mid-50s.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:37 pm I drink an insane amount of water and I go to the bathroom an insane amount.Ins = outs.
Same
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Drinking a lot of water is about the only healthy thing I do. And I also pee a lot.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:56 pm Drinking a lot of water is about the only healthy thing I do. And I also pee a lot.
I'd go ahead and count that as two healthy things.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

one week from today i'll be starting my team's first loop at the Ragnar race in nw nj.. three loops in 24 hrs..

and signing up for the asbury park 1/2 marathon in april.

seems the only way i get in shape is by putting such things on the calendar and forcing myself to eat better and exercise more or deal w the pain and embarrassment of flailing at it.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

My Monday morning, post-constitutional weigh-in read 198.4, the first time I've been out of the heavyweight division since Spring of 2016.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Swimming is getting easier. I just swam my first mile tonight.

Not bad for someone who was getting gassed six weeks ago only doing 10 laps.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Sabo wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:11 pm
Swimming is getting easier. I just swam my first mile tonight.

Not bad for someone who was getting gassed six weeks ago only doing 10 laps.
Good on ya! It definitely becomes easier...and (for me anyways) it becomes a zen kinda thing...not thinking about anything except for my form and counting laps in my head.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

After years and years of trying to run independently then taking months off for no good reason, I joined a running group. After 2 months with them, I got a pr in a 3 mile race and actually look forward to the days after work and the weekend mornings I get to run with them (having a bar or a breakfast place to go to afterwards certainly helps). The bad news is I completely quit any strength work during this time and went to the gym tonight, so I'm in good running shape and absolutely horrible lifting/push-up shape.

Also, I recommend this book for people who need motivation to exercise and for commonsense advice
My favorite advice in the book was to drink water when you're thirsty. Your body and brain are designed to keep you hydrated.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So in my next attempt to eat less, get more active, and try generally to be less fat as I come within one year of 50 (fuuuuuccckkkkkk) giving Noom app a shot. At least i can use it to track food again.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I've been getting up most weekday mornings at 5:00am since 11/1 for a 35-minute walk (the amount of time it takes for the path I take) and have had a least a walk that long everyday save for two (my weekend walks are closer to an hour). I've not done as well at cutting back on bad foods/alcohol as much as I've hoped, but I have a little and I'm feeling very encouraged. If nothing else, my mental health has improved dramatically since I've started doing this as it's put me in a morning routine that rarely has stress since I'm up so early.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto