OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Re: OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Post by BSF21 »

Finished out May at a 22:09 on my 5K. Pacing is an issue. The one I ran yesterday, my first mile was 6:42. Then I fell off.

Hockey starts Sunday. I've stayed really active the last few weeks but haven't gotten on a scale. My diet has been shit.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nice BSF, I am grinding toward a 5K in mid-June. Just want to be able to run one, albeit slowly. Finished week 7 of couch to 5K with today's run, six runs left. Up to 25 minutes of running now without stopping. This one sucked because I have been dealing with a cold/virus since Tuesday and hadn't been out to run since last Sunday. Got through it anyway.

Still trying to track food and exercise daily. At 204.8 as of today. Slow but steady, now down 25.6 overall. I guess progress.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I have a n00b weightlifting-related question. I'm considering starting a weightlifting program for my shoulders and chest. My plan is to start with nautilus equipment and then move on to dumbbells. My rec center doesn't have any free weights except for dumbbells, so my choices are limited.

I'm trying to figure out if it's best to lift heavy for fewer reps, light with higher reps, or lift heavy with few reps but done slowly. My main goal with the lifting program is to increase strength and burn fat in my upper body. I currently do some yoga and bodyweight exercises, which are helping with muscle tone, but I still need to build some strength. I don't plan to work my legs with lifting because my legs are strong enough and are getting enough exercise just from bike riding.

So, can someone please explain which method is best for my goals? Thanks in advance.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

First, I'd recommend dumbbells even to start out with.

Second, I would not try to do heavy weights at first, especially without a spotter even on dumbbells. Just find a weight that is comfortable and do a few sets a worlout, then go up slowly. You're likely not trying to get ripped all to pieces, so reps are more important than getting a skin-busting pump on.

Third, do some freaking dumbell squats, dude.

Fourth, ask bronto.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

pull-ups, brah
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Sabo wrote:I have a n00b weightlifting-related question. I'm considering starting a weightlifting program for my shoulders and chest. My plan is to start with nautilus equipment and then move on to dumbbells. My rec center doesn't have any free weights except for dumbbells, so my choices are limited.

I'm trying to figure out if it's best to lift heavy for fewer reps, light with higher reps, or lift heavy with few reps but done slowly. My main goal with the lifting program is to increase strength and burn fat in my upper body. I currently do some yoga and bodyweight exercises, which are helping with muscle tone, but I still need to build some strength. I don't plan to work my legs with lifting because my legs are strong enough and are getting enough exercise just from bike riding.

So, can someone please explain which method is best for my goals? Thanks in advance.
if you've got just nautilus equipment and dumbbells and a bench, you're in pretty decent shape.

(Also, as AB said, squat squat squat. And hip hinge. and lunge)

But if you're looking for something easy, go this route for 6 weeks assuming you're lifting 3 times a week.

DB Incline Press 3x6
DB Incline Row 3x6

Machine Shoulder Press 3x12
Machine Lat Pull 3x12

DB Incline Press 3x8
DB Incline Row 3x8

Machine Chest Press 3x20
Machine Seated Row 3x20

DB Incline Press 3x12
DB Incline Row 3x12

Machine Incline Press 3x25
DB Row 3x25

This is boring and doesn't have much variety, but there's a method to the madness here.

The Incline Press and Row are your main work exercises and are designed to be supersetted. So for those two exercises ...

Workout 1: Increase the loading. Keep it at 3x6 for all 6 weeks and when it's too easy, grab heavier dumbbells. Rinse and repeat.
Workout 2: Increase the volume. Week 2 it's 4 sets. Week 3 it's 5 sets. Add weight, go 3/4/5 for the next three weeks.
Workout 3: Increase the reps. When you get to 3x15, add weight and drop back down to 3x12.

The last two exercises are simply done for some fun high-rep bloodflow (and hypertrophy!) and not to failure.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Thanks, Bronto. I appreciate you taking the time to write up an exercise plan for me. I'll probably start on it next week. I'd still like to know about the difference between lifting heavy weights with fewer reps and lighter weights with higher reps, as well as any advantages of doing the exercises slowly.

I know squats and lunges are great, but I'm not doing them right now because it hurts my knees. My legs are getting a good workout already from the yoga and bodyweight exercises I do every other day, the six+ hours of pickleball I play a week and bike riding. I've put about 40 miles on my bike the last week, but that's not something I can realistically do every week. Fifteen to 20 is more realistic, with the occasional long bike ride when I have a mid-week day off. I can tell my legs are getting substantially stronger already.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Bronto, feel like doing a weekly dumbbells only plan for a #weakdad?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Sabo wrote:Thanks, Bronto. I appreciate you taking the time to write up an exercise plan for me. I'll probably start on it next week. I'd still like to know about the difference between lifting heavy weights with fewer reps and lighter weights with higher reps, as well as any advantages of doing the exercises slowly.
No worries at all.

If you're talking about the super-slow method, there are no real advantages to doing that unless you like torturing yourself for some reason.

In more general terms, you want to move the weight as quickly as possible in a controlled fashion. Doing that increases force production, which can stimulate both type II and type I muscle fibers. TII are your quick-twitch fibers, while TI are your more endurance-based fibers. So again, in general terms, you're going to stimulate more TII in a higher load/lower rep set, and TI in a lower load/higher rep set. But you're also at the point in your training life where you really don't need to worry about that.

Time under tension plays a big role too. Especially in hypertrophy. Bodybuilders are/were on to something about TUT because that can stimulate muscle growth. TUT can be accomplished in a number of ways including doing slower reps. While that's certainly an option, in my view, it's much more effective (and mentally easier) to worry about adding volume in the form of sets or reps to increase TUT vs. slowing down the speed of your repetitions.

ETA: Easy way, at least for me, to classify a quick rep under control is to simply have the "work" part of the rep last as long as a deep exhale. It's not only a cue for rep speed but also a cue to breathe out and brace every time you're applying force.

I know squats and lunges are great, but I'm not doing them right now because it hurts my knees. My legs are getting a good workout already from the yoga and bodyweight exercises I do every other day, the six+ hours of pickleball I play a week and bike riding. I've put about 40 miles on my bike the last week, but that's not something I can realistically do every week. Fifteen to 20 is more realistic, with the occasional long bike ride when I have a mid-week day off. I can tell my legs are getting substantially stronger already.
The best advice to do is to go with the range of motion that doesn't hurt.

I'm also going to wager a guess that you'd be very well served doing some hip extension exercises (hip thrusts, single leg cable deadlifts -- basically anything to isolate and extend the hip and get the glute to fire). There are literally no downsides to having an incredibly strong ass and training it more often and harder than other muscles in the body.

I realize that's a ... waiting to happen, but whatever.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:Bronto, feel like doing a weekly dumbbells only plan for a #weakdad?
what's the range of dumbbell #s?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I'm back in. Got weak as hell, only have warning track power, that's unacceptable. Everything is so heavy right now tho
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Thanks, Bronto. Much obliged.
Bronto wrote:The best advice to do is to go with the range of motion that doesn't hurt.

I'm also going to wager a guess that you'd be very well served doing some hip extension exercises (hip thrusts, single leg cable deadlifts -- basically anything to isolate and extend the hip and get the glute to fire). There are literally no downsides to having an incredibly strong ass and training it more often and harder than other muscles in the body.
I'll be sure to add some hip thrusts and glute kickbacks to my daily regimen. I already do bridges but I might change to a one-leg bridge to make it more difficult. My glutes are definitely weak, and sitting in an office chair for hours on end isn't going to make it better.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I did Bronto's workout today (and added some leg and extra chest). Solid workout for getting into the flow of things. I hadn't gone much lately so I took it easy, but I can see that being a solid foundation for me. Since I work out alone now, I prefer to get a whole body workout instead of focusing on a section a day. So this had chest work, back work, shoulder work, plus i tossed in some legs. Next time probably do arms with it instead of legs. Maybe abs the third time a week.

So anyway, thanks Bronto, and thanks Sabo for motivating me like a boss.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

question for the resident Bronto:

What are your thoughts (if any) on the 5x5 Stronglift program? i started it this past month and pretty happy with my progress so far.

been away from running due to plantar fascitis the last few months.. but need to get back out there soon as i'm running a ragnar trail in october (and a tough mudder in march)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

elflaco wrote:question for the resident Bronto:

What are your thoughts (if any) on the 5x5 Stronglift program? i started it this past month and pretty happy with my progress so far.

been away from running due to plantar fascitis the last few months.. but need to get back out there soon as i'm running a ragnar trail in october (and a tough mudder in march)
I liked strong lift a lot. Got up to over 200# on my squats. Of course, you do that every workout. I suggest getting smaller plates, (2x each of .25, .5, .75, 1) to increase weight without huge jumps. If I get back on that train, I need to have a pro look at my form. I followed his demo, and Starting Strength's for form, but am not sure I'm 100% right. Been swimming mostly lately. Some running thrown in as well.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

govmentchedda wrote:

I liked strong lift a lot. Got up to over 200# on my squats. Of course, you do that every workout. I suggest getting smaller plates, (2x each of .25, .5, .75, 1) to increase weight without huge jumps. If I get back on that train, I need to have a pro look at my form. I followed his demo, and Starting Strength's for form, but am not sure I'm 100% right. Been swimming mostly lately. Some running thrown in as well.
What he said about the increments.

I like 5/3/1 better than stronglift because of the ease of the progression, but there's nothing wrong with stronglifts at all. There is a train of thought that 5x5 isn't necessarily your best bet for strength, but at the same time, that's getting into the weeds of a trainee far past the intermediate stage
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote:I did Bronto's workout today (and added some leg and extra chest). Solid workout for getting into the flow of things. I hadn't gone much lately so I took it easy, but I can see that being a solid foundation for me. Since I work out alone now, I prefer to get a whole body workout instead of focusing on a section a day. So this had chest work, back work, shoulder work, plus i tossed in some legs. Next time probably do arms with it instead of legs. Maybe abs the third time a week.

So anyway, thanks Bronto, and thanks Sabo for motivating me like a boss.
If I'm nitpicking -- YOU CAN'T STOP ME -- I would do 2 pulls for every push. So if you're adding extra chest work, stop it and add extra rows.

I'm also of the belief that training your legs more often with less volume/intensity is a better bet than going crazy 1x a week. It helps lessen the soreness considerably which helps with quality of life
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Got you. And I just did some leg presses. I wasn't doing Romanian squats or anything.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Brontoburglar wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:

What he said about the increments.

I like 5/3/1 better than stronglift because of the ease of the progression, but there's nothing wrong with stronglifts at all. There is a train of thought that 5x5 isn't necessarily your best bet for strength, but at the same time, that's getting into the weeds of a trainee far past the intermediate stage
I stopped for a while then went back at 3 sets of 5 reps per exercise. More like a 3/5 plan. I liked it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Brontoburglar wrote:
mister d wrote:Bronto, feel like doing a weekly dumbbells only plan for a #weakdad?
Up to 52.5, by 2.5s and 5s depending on where on the spectrum. My company does $250 health reimbursement per year and the adjustable ones were $250 (plus tax!).
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Ran my first real "race" over July 4 in Minnesota. 5 miles in 39:21. I had gas left so I ran the 3 mile races about 15 minutes after that.

Also as a side note, I doubled up on hockey games last night because the 7:30 team was short and I am a pile of jelly today. Took me 25 minutes to get out of bed. Everything hurts.

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Yesterday, I weighed myself and came in at 234, which is my lowest weight in at least 17 years.

Saturday, I rode my bike 24 miles in 1 hour and 40 minutes, and I went on a 6.5-mile hike yesterday. This morning, I woke up with no pain whatsoever.

Had I done either of those two months ago, I'd probably be unable to move. It's really, really cool to see progress like this.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Nice work Sabes! Great to hear you're seeing results!

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Impressed by both of you. Went a little off track last week, but got in a steamy 5k run yesterday. Was going to swim laps this morning, but the 3 year old had other ideas.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
Up to 52.5, by 2.5s and 5s depending on where on the spectrum. My company does $250 health reimbursement per year and the adjustable ones were $250 (plus tax!).
This book is perfect -- You can choose what you can do within the template based on the equipment available
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If I wanted to pay $16.37 (plus tax), I wouldn't have asked you to do this for me.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:If I wanted to pay $16.37 (plus tax), I wouldn't have asked you to do this for me.
we know how you value your health now!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sabo/BSF - I'm impressed! Great work.

Personally, I've been fairly pleased with my own regimen. I go to the gym about 5 days a week now. Combination of stretching, weights and 3 miles fast (for me) on the elliptical. My shirt is soaked after that (funny how I sweat so much more nowadays than I used to.)

So, I've got a little muscle definition and a flatter stomach. But, i haven't lost a lot of weight, because I still eat way too much. My peak was about 205 and I'm now stabilized, fluctuating between 190-195.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Brontoburglar wrote:
mister d wrote:If I wanted to pay $16.37 (plus tax), I wouldn't have asked you to do this for me.
I'm eating (homemade!) ice cream right now so ... yeah? But seriously, just give me a 3x per week "regimen".
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
I'm eating (homemade!) ice cream right now so ... yeah? But seriously, just give me a 3x per week "regimen".
I'm not sure if this is "BrontoApproved", but I've kinda been on and off with this routine for a while now. It's 4 days, but I'm sure you could agument as you see fit, and seeing as you aren't going to be trying to hit muscle beach anytime soon, I'd guess it's not going to hurt to swap out Barbell for Dumbbell on the necessary exercises.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Curious if anyone here regularly uses or has had success with intermittent fasting. Friend of mine from high school is a nutritionist and a bodybuilder and turned me on to it, showing me some pretty amazing results he's had with some scientific studies that show it to be more effective than just eating healthy and working out (this would be in addition to eating healthy and exercise).

Going to start with the 16:8 fast (fasting for 16 hours and eating for 8), which is often not too different from what I normally do a lot of days and which there is most data about.

Some other advantages of it including being able to not completely cut out alcohol (can be used on occasion/in moderation in place of a meal during the 8-hour "eating" window) and being able to occasionally indulge in a "cheat" meal, again if it is during the 8-hour window.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

IF is really just a different method of limiting calories. Any other way of spinning it is pseudo-science.

It works. I like it and will probably do it again. But it's nothing more than that.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

It was bound to happen sooner or later, but after doing the bike commute for about 2 years pretty solid, I finally took a tumble this morning. Skateboarder cut right in front of me, and I locked up the wheels, hit him, and went down hard. Don't think I think any structural damage, but I'm pretty sore, and I know I'm going to have some major bruises.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

brian wrote:Curious if anyone here regularly uses or has had success with intermittent fasting. Friend of mine from high school is a nutritionist and a bodybuilder and turned me on to it, showing me some pretty amazing results he's had with some scientific studies that show it to be more effective than just eating healthy and working out (this would be in addition to eating healthy and exercise).

Going to start with the 16:8 fast (fasting for 16 hours and eating for 8), which is often not too different from what I normally do a lot of days and which there is most data about.

I went with the 5:2 intermittent fast. That's 2 days each week of calories reduced to around 600. I didn't enjoy it, but it seemed to get me through a weight loss plateau. Partly due to this technique, I lost 45 pounds of fat in the 18 months ending in November '16. As you suggest, no doubt my regular diet and intense exercise were more influential.

Sadly, I regained 15 of those pounds over the winter and into spring. It's been tough going since then. Perhaps down 2. It may take some more fasting.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I've learned that, for me, the way to lose weight is to be hungry all the time. (And to work out just as hard.)

I'm always hungry and can always eat which means I take in too many of everything (calories, fats...etc). And if I change the content of what I'm eating (switch to salads with lean meat from anything else) and maintain the same relative amount of food, I still don't lose weight.

So after hearing about what Penn Jillette did going mono diet with eating potatoes, I figured I'd try that. But I'm not going as extreme as he did. I'm adding in protein shakes and using hot sauce to flavor my potatoes. It's still extreme and a bad idea in general, but I think I've lost weight. I'm sure I'm down about 8 pounds because my scale says 204 this morning and I haven't seen that number in a while. (I'll have 3-4 russets for lunch and 3-4 for dinner. And I'll have 3 protein shakes tallying roughly 150 grams of protein and plenty of water per day until next weekend.)

Anyhoo, I'm pretty sure that all this weight will come back after I start adding other foods and upping my calories, but it's nice in the interim to feel a bit smaller.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Johnnie wrote:I've learned that, for me, the way to lose weight is to be hungry all the time. (And to work out just as hard.)

I'm always hungry and can always eat which means I take in too many of everything (calories, fats...etc). And if I change the content of what I'm eating (switch to salads with lean meat from anything else) and maintain the same relative amount of food, I still don't lose weight.

So after hearing about what Penn Jillette did going mono diet with eating potatoes, I figured I'd try that. But I'm not going as extreme as he did. I'm adding in protein shakes and using hot sauce to flavor my potatoes. It's still extreme and a bad idea in general, but I think I've lost weight. I'm sure I'm down about 8 pounds because my scale says 204 this morning and I haven't seen that number in a while. (I'll have 3-4 russets for lunch and 3-4 for dinner. And I'll have 3 protein shakes tallying roughly 150 grams of protein and plenty of water per day until next weekend.)

Anyhoo, I'm pretty sure that all this weight will come back after I start adding other foods and upping my calories, but it's nice in the interim to feel a bit smaller.

Potatoes seem like an odd choice for mono diet.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It should have been sweet potatoes.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I can't eat a baked potato without butter.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I've been swimming every weekday morning for about 2 years now...about 1500-2000 yards. Its really helped with my sciatica issues, and just general fitness level. But now the pool is closed for maintenance until the middle of October, and I'm trying to find something to replace it, keeping in mind my back and knee issues. I'm still doing the bike commute (about 18 miles round trip every day), but need to figure out something else to add into the mix.