The Live Music thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:54 am Brian. What'd you think of the Godspeed show?
Absolutely amazing. Was standing near some people who must have gotten tix from a seat-filling service because they really didn't have any idea what was going on for the first few minutes and it was awesome to see them finally figure it out. So about a half hour later when the first "song" ended you could almost hear the crowd exhale. I really don't know why I don't just try to see about three or four shows in a row whenever they come out west, but I don't think I could deal with that intensity every night for several nights.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

My thoughts exactly. The new songs are stellar live and it was great to see them after that album has sunk in a bit (they played "Bosses Hang" their last tour as a "mystery" song). I don't know if it's the current state of the world or what, but the imagery and "despairing" side of their songwriting seems to hit me a bit harder this time around. (So much so that I just snapped up some craigslist tix to their sold-out show in Portland in a couple weeks. Ha.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I looked at the setlists online and noticed they didn't play Mladic in Denver, which is too bad because that was probably the highlight of the show last night. If I didn't have a bunch of shit going on in my life and burning bridges with work I might have tried to head down to LA for the show in Santa Ana on Thursday, but oh well. (And the A/C in my car died on the drive back from PHX this morning, so there's that to deal with also.)
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We went to the Upstream Festival yesterday afternoon/evening. Upstream is a new thing, funded by Paul Allen, to build up a festival similar to SxSW, here in Seattle. They have a 'Main Stage Area' (which has 2 stages, so they can have only 10 minutes between acts) in the parking lot just north of Century Link Field, in addition to a bunch of performance spaces in various bars/clubs in the Pioneer Square area.

We saw a couple of local, unknown acts, and then a really great soul/funk instrumental band called The True Loves, then this weird lady named Valerie June, and Cut Copy (australian Euro-Disco electronic dance music...really good), and then the Flaming Lips, who were hilariously over the top.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Interesting. Cut Copy seems like one of those bands who could more easily than not really suck live.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Jesus Christ, they were hard to miss this weekend on both SiriusXM 35 and 36, live from Governor's Ball. Not a fan.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:56 am Interesting. Cut Copy seems like one of those bands who could more easily than not really suck live.
Yeah, I wasn't sure what to expect from them. Sometimes those kind of bands are terrible live, but they were really fun. And the crowd was super into it.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

brian wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:04 pm I looked at the setlists online and noticed they didn't play Mladic in Denver, which is too bad because that was probably the highlight of the show last night. If I didn't have a bunch of shit going on in my life and burning bridges with work I might have tried to head down to LA for the show in Santa Ana on Thursday, but oh well. (And the A/C in my car died on the drive back from PHX this morning, so there's that to deal with also.)
Portland 2nd night set:

Hope Drone
Mladic
Bosses Hang
Fam/Famine
Undoing a Luciferian Tower
(Coney Island spoken bit)
Monheim
Sad Mafioso

Pumped to have gotten both Mladic and Monheim in the same set. Really nice sampling of their oeuvre overall.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

LMK if U need tix
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I think the Foo Fighters, G Unit and Ozzy Osbourne should start a festival and call it Foogozzy
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Got text notification at 3:45 AM that Ticketmaster had found me tickets for Radiohead on Saturday and notification at 4:05 AM that I didn't respond in time and they were released.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sounds like you were left... high and dry!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Going Friday anyway. One might say I'm ... Lucky!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:40 am Going Friday anyway. One might say I'm ... Lucky!
There There, hope there are No Surprises with the set list. Wouldn't want you to be Let Down.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I hope you don't go scuba diving that same day and then realize you're going to be late to the show, so you come up too fast because you could get THE BENDS!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Successfully Barbaro'd, I'd say.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yup. Quite a let down.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm sorry guys I should just learn how to disappear completely.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Not to get into the merits of her as a performer or of pop music as a whole (although I will say that while current pop music isn't particularly good, she is fantastic at the current iteration of "pop music"), but Taylor Swift's current tour is a phenomenal stadium music show. I got our daughter tickets for her birthday and the two of us went on Saturday night in Columbus.

The exception is that her banter is remarkably bad, even for generic concert banter. Overly rehearsed, even down to leading the crowd in the "O-H... I-O..." cheer.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:37 pm Not to get into the merits of her as a performer or of pop music as a whole (although I will say that while current pop music isn't particularly good, she is fantastic at the current iteration of "pop music"), but Taylor Swift's current tour is a phenomenal stadium music show. I got our daughter tickets for her birthday and the two of us went on Saturday night in Columbus.

The exception is that her banter is remarkably bad, even for generic concert banter. Overly rehearsed, even down to leading the crowd in the "O-H... I-O..." cheer.
Took my middle son to the 1989 tour, and I can agree that TS puts on a great show, for that type of music. I'm not as big a fan of the newer album/haven't listened to it as much. I really like 1989 though.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:37 pm ...I will say that while current pop music isn't particularly good...
Talk about understatements. Kid gloves, mate? ;-)
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

RSmith wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:28 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:37 pm ...I will say that while current pop music isn't particularly good...
I didn't want to launch a separate discussion about pop music. Historically, most pop music isn't particularly good, but a large amount of today's material is more scientifically engineered than created.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:36 am
I didn't want to launch a separate discussion about pop music. Historically, most pop music isn't particularly good, but a large amount of today's material is more scientifically engineered than created.
Check out this fascinating podcast for the process of manufacturing a song for Rhianna. Well worth a listen.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2011 ... the-summer
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Speaking of pop music. Switched on Pop is a fantastic podcast.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:34 pm
Check out this fascinating podcast for the process of manufacturing a song for Rhianna. Well worth a listen.

If you're talking about "manufacturing" a song, you have already gone horribly and irreparably wrong.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

RSmith wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:59 pm

If you're talking about "manufacturing" a song, you have already gone horribly and irreparably wrong.
How so?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:01 pm
RSmith wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:59 pm

How so?
That might be a bit of the "get off my lawn" coming out of me. ;-)

I know there is a substantial amount of editing and postprocessing and whatnot involved in any recording (save "true" black metal, which eschews any of that), but to me, the one constant distinguishing feature of "pop" music over the years is the extreme over-production.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Listen to the podcast. The term "manufacturing" makes sense in that context.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:09 pm Listen to the podcast. The term "manufacturing" makes sense in that context.
Yes, in context, you're right.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

RSmith wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:55 am
Pruitt wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:09 pm Listen to the podcast. The term "manufacturing" makes sense in that context.
Yes, in context, you're right.
Crazy eh?

And all that work on that particular song went for naught as it wasn't a hit.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

my daughter is in Louisville for forecastle. jealous.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I suppose this marks me as an old-timer (as if you all needed any more proof). Tonight I'm going to see a 50th Anniversary concert of The Byrds' Sweetheart of the Rodeo, performed by the Byrds' Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman, supported by Marty Stuart and his band. Should be fun!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Before I learned the difference, The Byrds had a lot of my favorite Beatles songs. But not my favorite Beatles song overall. That was The Kinks.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I caught David Byrne this past weekend at Merriweather Post Pavilion. Fantastic show. If you haven't seen it and you have the ability to see it, do yourself a favor and see it.

Somebody filmed a good chunk of the Houston show below.

Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The ticket for the Tampa area show is pricy as hell, and my wife isn't super stoked about it. I may go to this one by myself.

As such, I won't be watching that clip.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:13 pm The ticket for the Tampa area show is pricy as hell, and my wife isn't super stoked about it. I may go to this one by myself.

You won't be disappointed.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It's kind of amazing to me to see that wonderful, elaborate stage show for David Byrne. When I saw the Talking Heads in 1979, they were just a tight little four-piece rock band, with a minimal presentation other than playing their music.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:19 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:13 pm The ticket for the Tampa area show is pricy as hell, and my wife isn't super stoked about it. I may go to this one by myself.

You won't be disappointed.
I'm doing it. Super stoked.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm still kicking myself I didn't go in April.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Saw The Decemberists for the first time last night and was pretty impressed by the live show. I'm a fan, but even I'm not immune to Colin Meloy fatigue from time to time, but any band that can write and perform a song like The Crane Wife 1 and 2 like they do is worth putting up with almost any amount of twee art-school bullshit.