Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by Giff »

Yessir.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Really want to see them too. July 1 at an outdoor amphitheater in Tampa sounds brutal, but at least there's a roof.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:34 amYessir.
So I see Houston is the third show on the tour, but Las Vegas is the third-to-last, so you should come out here for that one too because by then the brothers Robinson will probably hate each other something fierce which should make for some great comparisons.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:11 pm
Giff wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:34 amYessir.
So I see Houston is the third show on the tour, but Las Vegas is the third-to-last, so you should come out here for that one too because by then the brothers Robinson will probably hate each other something fierce which should make for some great comparisons.
Not a bad idea!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Going to Slayer's third-to-last concert ever today. Pretty psyched. I like Slayer just enough that if they pull some bullshit and un-retire in a few years I'll just not acknowledge that and enjoy this as one of their last ever shows. Guess it's pretty over the top with pyro and shit. Haven't been to a concert like that in a couple decades probably.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Archers of Loaf have teased that they're putting out new music, and they've posted a few new tour dates as well!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Going to see Modest Mouse tonight. I'm on the fence about whether I should checkout setlist.fm -- I've had mixed experiences with having a decent idea what 90 percent or so of the songs are gonna be (though MM switches things up a lot more than a lot of bands).

Sometimes it's nice to just be surprised.

ETA: I looked and there's no rhyme or reason to their recent setlists, which is how it should be.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Was supposed to see Brandy Carlile tonight...playing with the Seattle Symphony.

Unfortunately...got this email yesterday:
This weekend’s performances with Brandi Carlile are postponed as she recovers from a bruised vocal cord after complications from laryngitis. We wish Brandi a swift recovery.

Your original ticket(s) for December 13th will now be valid on February 21, 2020.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Saw The Joy Formidable last night. The band still shreds. An impressive amount of sound from just 3 people.

The drummer has a Bonham-esque gong set up behind the drum kit. He played it exactly once (at the end of 'Whirring'). We were laughing on the way home about how much of a pain it must be to take that thing on tour with them, to have it played once a show.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Tame Impala is playing an arena tour next summer - like NHL/NBA arenas. Not sure what I'm missing there, but I wouldn't have thought they were big enough for 15,000-seat venues.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:04 pm Tame Impala is playing an arena tour next summer - like NHL/NBA arenas. Not sure what I'm missing there, but I wouldn't have thought they were big enough for 15,000-seat venues.
They are playing at The Gorge next summer. And I agree...I don't picture them as a big enough draw for headlining Arena type shows.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I like em. I might even go but the cheapest seats I saw for STL (I'll be there during the show) is $50 and that's before TicketFucker fees, so probably $75.

I would think that one of the ideas behind playing bigger arenas would be they could lower the prices to get more people to go, but apparently that's not a factor either. Maybe I'm underestimating their draw. Could be they (or their management) expects this new album to be huge.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Tame Impala in an arena sounds super high-risk for boring.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:43 pm Tame Impala in an arena sounds super high-risk for boring.
They could potentially do some really cool shit with LED screens and lights and whatnot, so I'll give them that. I'm thinking a song like "Elephant" could absolutely wail with the right presentation, so maybe that's their thought. But if they're not going all out with the AV stuff then yeah, it'll probably be kinda lame.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:44 pm
mister d wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:43 pm Tame Impala in an arena sounds super high-risk for boring.
They could potentially do some really cool shit with LED screens and lights and whatnot, so I'll give them that. I'm thinking a song like "Elephant" could absolutely wail with the right presentation, so maybe that's their thought. But if they're not going all out with the AV stuff then yeah, it'll probably be kinda lame.
Not that Queen would ever fall under the "too boring for an arena" label, but I was amazed with what the light shows are like these days. There was an extended Brian May solo interlude that was off the charts.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, even the Smashing Pumpkins arena show I saw last spring had some amazing stuff that I don't ever get to see at the kinds of shows I go to and I imagine their budget was probably on the lower side relative to a lot of acts.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:29 pm Archers of Loaf have teased that they're putting out new music, and they've posted a few new tour dates as well!
Heading to Atlanta in February to see the Loaf!!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Seeing Bob Mould at the town's PAC next weekend. No idea what to expect in terms of solo vs. Husker Du / Sugar.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:38 pm Seeing Bob Mould at the town's PAC next weekend. No idea what to expect in terms of solo vs. Husker Du / Sugar.
Say hi to Wurster for me.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Saw Sinead O'Conner last night, and it was great. You could tell it takes a lot for her to get to the 'emotional space' required to do the songs from 'I Do Not Want...' but she was able to get there, and her voice was incredible.

Oh, and when she ripped up the Pope's picture on SNL? She was right...

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I somewhat rarely still wish I lived in Detroit, but I would have loved to have been able to catch this.

Wu-Tang Clan to partner with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra to perform Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) and score a film version of The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Just picked up tickets to see Jason Isbell and The Decemberists (separate shows...although that would be a fun show to see them play together) in July.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:11 pm Just picked up tickets to see Jason Isbell and The Decemberists (separate shows...although that would be a fun show to see them play together) in July.
Isbell is headlining the Railbird Festival at Keeneland this summer. The Decemberists will be there as well. Along with Maren Morris, Hayes Carll and Shovels and Rope. I'm gonna have a hard time skipping this one.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Have I mentioned here that Maren Morris looks creepily like an age-progressed version of my youngest?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Was lucky enough to see Brandi Carlile friday night, with the Seattle Symphony. What an incredible performer.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Was on the rail last night for the Archers of Loaf in Atlanta. Such a great show.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Pinegrove was a good show, but my buddy and I had to be double the average age.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:37 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:11 pm Just picked up tickets to see Jason Isbell and The Decemberists (separate shows...although that would be a fun show to see them play together) in July.
Isbell is headlining the Railbird Festival at Keeneland this summer. The Decemberists will be there as well. Along with Maren Morris, Hayes Carll and Shovels and Rope. I'm gonna have a hard time skipping this one.
Got tickets for Isbell and 400 unit at Wolftrap for June. Wolftap is a great venue. Maybe the only federal park you can carry in your own beer, wine, etc. Perfect picnic concert setup.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Spent some money today - DMB in Detroit area on 6/30 and Isbell at Red Rocks on 8/2. Gonna be a mighty fine summer for rock shows assuming the Robinson Brothers haven't killed each other by 6/20
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Just lucked into a ticket to see Sturgill Simpson tomorrow night. Pumped.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Glad I looked at Brooklyn Bowl's website today. They were doing a one-day only presale on American Aquarium tix for their show in June for only $10.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Show was great. Tyler Childers was excellent and sturgill just rocked out. This ain’t your older brothers sturgill. Don’t go if you don’t want to get your balls rocked off. Even the older stuff he upped it a level. Dude is a rock guitar virtuoso.

(ETA: the show may still be going on. We had to leave because we had a teenager who has a band performance tomorrow am. But we saw sturgillmplay for right at two hours before we left. Interested to check set list. If I was a Kentucky artist who finally got to play rupp arena I’d probably play for four hours. )
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Seeing one-hit wonder The Nixons tonight.

Glad you got to see that show AB! I’m missing their run through Texas.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

First time played since 2010
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:37 pm First time played since 2010
This post reminds me that mister d will eventually hate all the music he loves now and it makes me sad and happy at the same time.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You can draw a straight line from them deciding the Lillywhites were too sad to me getting really into The National.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I know the swamp isn’t really a country music haven, but Thursday at 7 PM eastern time, Willie Nelson, Margo Price and others are performing a free online concert.
Link to info
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Couchella.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Ben Gibbard did a live set from his home studio yesterday at 4 pacific. He's going to do them every day for the next few weeks. Didn't check it out today, but yesterdays was really cool.