Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by P.D.X. »

That's a lot of wrinkles and mascara
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:01 pm That's a lot of wrinkles and mascara
And fascinating people watching from a demographic makeup.

I saw Morrissey in LA in 1998(?). The audience composition was surprising.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'd rather see most of those other bands than Morrissey. But, he'll likely blow off the show at the last minute, anyway..
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'd still really like to see Morrissey if I could justify seeing Morrissey to myself.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This has to be the highest "Mister D Likes %" festival lineup I've seen.

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Four days til my first real live rock show in 16 months. No way I don't tear up.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:34 pm This has to be the highest "Mister D Likes %" festival lineup I've seen.

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Tom Petty and Grateful Dead
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

And if they have to be consecutive?

Waters + Bowie
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Consecutive Cure + Beasties / Run DMC. Non-consecutive swap in Bowie for Beasties.

This is the kind of thing where I’d love to see a version with 10,000 votes to see which artists fully tank out.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That's really hard. As much as I love Petty, that's pre-Into the Great Wide Open, Full Moon Fever, Wildflowers, etc. The earlier stuff would be great to see, but I'd probably go with the Grateful Dead because I've kicked myself for never seeing them and all/most of their work had been released by that point.

10 year old me would've said Madonna and Bon Jovi.

U2 and the Pogues? Can't imagine how great that show was.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Feel like I could write something similar for 2/3 of these shows.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I wouldn't wanna see Licensed to Ill era Beastie Boys. Anything Paul's Boutique & after and I'm down though.

I saw several of those shows down in Florida that year/tours, so for the ones I missed I'll say Paul Simon & the Grateful Dead.

eta: replace the Dead with Bowie. I'd rather see Bowie with an elaborate Glass Spiders show than a hit or miss '87 summer Grateful Dead event.
Noli Timere Messorem
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:34 pm This has to be the highest "Mister D Likes %" festival lineup I've seen.

How in the hell can there be a music festival called Just Like Heaven and it not feature The Cure?
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:15 pm
The Cure and Pink Floyd.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The easy one here is U2/Pogues.

After that, a lot of directions you could go. I was right in the middle of the target market for Licensed To Ill, and I loved Run-DMC too, so I think I would pick that just for the cultural moment. It was probably a total shitshow of people my age.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Four day stretch in October: Manchester Orchestra, Heartless Bastards, Modest Mouse/Future Islands, James McMurtry
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:25 am Four day stretch in October: Manchester Orchestra, Heartless Bastards, Modest Mouse/Future Islands, James McMurtry
I'd like to see McMurtry.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Was really hoping to break the quarantine by seeing Modest Mouse in Philly. Of course, they're here on August 5th and that's the week I'm at OBX.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

One month until Phish at Hershey Park Stadium. I've never seen them and didn't really dig their music all that much because I believed that they were just another jam band. A close friend who is a very long time fan of theirs has always encouraged me to give them a listen. He gave me the login for his Live Phish app and told me to check out a podcast about them called Long May They Run (really good podcast). I started listening during the pandemic and started to dig their music more and more. Long story short, I'm going to two shows in Hershey in August with my buddy who is coming down to come see shows with me. I know there are some Phish fans here. Took me a while to get there, but here I am.

I haven't seen any live music in ages and I can't wait to be at a concert again.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Fell ass backwards into tickets to see the Mountain Goats this Friday to end our three weeks in the hills outside Asheville. So damn excited. They were #1 on my " bands I haven't seen before and who I want to see when this is all over" list.

I get that this is nowhere near over, and I'll be fully masked the entire time.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I thought this was interesting. I follow James McMurtry on facebook and he posted about how Jason Isbell is fighting to have music venues require that patrons have vaccinations, and the pushback he is receiving.

I couldn’t figure out how to copy and paste it here, so here is a link.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:30 am I thought this was interesting. I follow James McMurtry on facebook and he posted about how Jason Isbell is fighting to have music venues require that patrons have vaccinations, and the pushback he is receiving.

That’s pretty awesome.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Isbell at Red Rocks was one of the best shows I've seen.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Phish shows are this Tuesday and Wednesday at Hershey. Very psyched to see live music.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:30 am I thought this was interesting. I follow James McMurtry on facebook and he posted about how Jason Isbell is fighting to have music venues require that patrons have vaccinations, and the pushback he is receiving.

Yeah he is killing it with this. I got an email saying I'll have to prove I have been vaccinated (Which I am) but you can also prove a negative test result within 72 hours of the event. I'm all for it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Coincidentally, we bailed on Robert Earl Keen in Denver due to it being indoors and there being young ones on our trip who can't be vaccinated yet.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

bfj wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:03 pm Phish shows are this Tuesday and Wednesday at Hershey. Very psyched to see live music.
Very nice! Bring Purell and an extra mask in a ziplock baggy if your first one gets wet due to weather...
Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:45 pm
bfj wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:03 pm Phish shows are this Tuesday and Wednesday at Hershey. Very psyched to see live music.
Very nice! Bring Purell and an extra mask in a ziplock baggy if your first one gets wet due to weather...
Good tips. Thanks. I’m hoping (since it is a General Admission show that isn’t sold out) my friends and I can find an empty space at the back of the stadium to hang out and listen.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

bfj wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:17 pm
Good tips. Thanks. I’m hoping (since it is a General Admission show that isn’t sold out) my friends and I can find an empty space at the back of the stadium to hang out and listen.
Oh yeah. That's definitely a good approach. I'm not chasing some front row mission at this point in life, regardless of a pandemic.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pawlingdroids.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

they've got mf'in Squeeze opening for them.
Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:24 pm
Oh yeah. That's definitely a good approach. I'm not chasing some front row mission at this point in life, regardless of a pandemic.
Fun show. The group I was with was able to find a section on the floor between one of the speaker towers and the railing that was a closed in triangle so we had nobody near us except the people we went with and people couldn’t walk through where we were.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

bfj wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:22 am
Fun show. The group I was with was able to find a section on the floor between one of the speaker towers and the railing that was a closed in triangle so we had nobody near us except the people we went with and people couldn’t walk through where we were.
BFJ using his greatest asset to maximum extent possible.

Just kidding, the vomit sculptures are greatest asset.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:47 am
bfj wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:22 am
BFJ using his greatest asset to maximum extent possible.

Just kidding, the vomit sculptures are greatest asset.
I can still box out.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Glad I didn't have tickets to Isbell tonight and glad that he stuck to his guns.

A local TV reporter tried to challenge his stance that the venue refused to help comply and it was quickly found out she is the daughter of the guy who owns/runs the venue.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Looks like one of his Texas concerts has changed venues. Also sounds like Amanda was hospitalized for a bit last night. Real whirlwind for the Isbells. Good on him for sticking to his guns.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Seeing our first live show since Feb. 2020 (Brandi Carlile with the Seattle Symphony) tonight. Outdoor show at the zoo with 'socially distant pod' seating. Seeing local bands The Smoky Brights:

and The True Loves:

Perfect weather...should be a fun show.