The Live Music thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:29 pm Story I saw said he was expected to make a full recovery and be able to tour.
He's also 75 years old, as is the rest of the band so it's not ridiculous to think they might be able to mount a major tour again though. Hope it happens though.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah, that was my big Xmas present from my wife. Pretty bummed since I got into them way later than I should have and if I miss out on them and Petty, I'm going to be pissed.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:31 am Yeah, that was my big Xmas present from my wife. Pretty bummed since I got into them way later than I should have and if I miss out on them and Petty, I'm going to be pissed.
I'm gonna be so mad if an old man dies before letting me watch him strut!

(I've seen Billy Joel multiple times and Clapton once. Did manage to see Guy Clark in one of his last tours, so that was nice. Can't think of anyone I've not seen that I would be remiss to never see. Might be a new thread idea.)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I regret not seeing them for so many reasons.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:43 am... Might be a new thread idea.
Do it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Giff wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:31 am Yeah, that was my big Xmas present from my wife. Pretty bummed since I got into them way later than I should have and if I miss out on them and Petty, I'm going to be pissed.
I've seen them once before...in '89 in Vancouver.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I saw the Stones in 1981 in Boulder. It was an epic day. I recall getting a hummer in the bedroom at a house party after the concert.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just found out American Aquarium is playing Brooklyn Bowl Vegas, but it's gonna be when I'm in Saint Louis. So bummed.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm just happy other people are posting about American Aquarium. He's playing today at the record store in Raleigh where I first heard their name 6 years ago. I'd love to go see them in their hometown.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, some of you might've seem my fb post, but last evening my wife and I got to San Jose early (via train) for the Sharks' playoff game. Since we had time to kill, we stopped for a beer or two at a little dive bar I know, next to the train station. They had an awesome little four-piece blues band of old-timers playing - the average age of the players was somewhere north of 60 years old, - and they were really cooking. The guitarist/singer leading the band was named Ron Thompson, so I looked online to see where his band played around town, and was shocked to learn that he has a wiki page, and a pedigree way beyond what you'd expect for a guy playing at a small dive bar at 6:00 pm.
wiki wrote:Ron Thompson (born July 5, 1953) is an American electric blues and blues rock guitarist, singer and songwriter.[1] Thompson has released nine albums since 1983 on labels including Blind Pig. He has worked with Little Joe Blue, John Lee Hooker, Lowell Fulson, Etta James and Big Mama Thornton.

Thompson commented on his preferred style, "blues is like a medicine, or religion to me, it'll cleanse your soul".[2] Meanwhile, Mick Fleetwood stated, "Ron Thompson is my favorite guitarist".
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'll be in Detroit when Morrissey is playing there with Interpol this fall and thought about getting tickets, but dude seems to cancel every other show, so fuck it. Not going through the hassle of getting tickets only to inevitably have to get dicked over on not getting service fees refunded, etc.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Seeing Neil Young tonight. Been a huge fan for years, but have never had a chance to see him live.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:32 pm Seeing Neil Young tonight. Been a huge fan for years, but have never had a chance to see him live.
Following up...Neil was great last night. The GF and I were joking about how many times do you think he's played 'Comes A Time' in his life.

And it was cool not being the oldest (by a long shot) people at a concert, for a change.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:57 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:32 pm Seeing Neil Young tonight. Been a huge fan for years, but have never had a chance to see him live.
Following up...Neil was great last night. The GF and I were joking about how many times do you think he's played 'Comes A Time' in his life.

And it was cool not being the oldest (by a long shot) people at a concert, for a change.
Dan Le Batard had Duff Mckagan from GnR on his podcast. And at some point they were touring with the Stones and Duff was complaining about playing Welcome to the Jungle or something and Mick Jagger looked at him and said "how many times do you think I've sang Jumpin Jack flash? But no matter what, there's someone in the audience that it's their first time, so you owe it to them"

So yeah, it has to get old, but you still gotta be a rock star! Get your game on, go play!
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Wish I could see this
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This is outstanding. I'm on a massive Beach House re-listening kick these days.

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Going to our first concert at the Gorge tomorrow night:

Seeing local hero Brandi Carlile, Emmylou Harris, and Neko Case. And since there is nothing around there, sprung for the 'deluxe' camping venue (meaning showers, flush toilets, and hopefully no all-night drum circles).
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:54 am Going to our first concert at the Gorge tomorrow night:

Seeing local hero Brandi Carlile, Emmylou Harris, and Neko Case. And since there is nothing around there, sprung for the 'deluxe' camping venue (meaning showers, flush toilets, and hopefully no all-night drum circles).
I saw Phish out at the Gorge for a couple nights back in '09. Great venue. Get there a little early in order to soak it all in.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That looks incredible.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:53 pm That looks incredible.

The trip from Seattle will find you driving over the Columbia River / gorge (a couple miles south). It's just amazing. And that's technically the desert. Be sure to bring a long sleeve T or a hoodie for the nighttime.
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:50 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:54 am Going to our first concert at the Gorge tomorrow night:

I saw Phish out at the Gorge for a couple nights back in '09. Great venue. Get there a little early in order to soak it all in.
We are leaving tomorrow morning, early-ish, so we can beat the traffic and pick out our campsite. We would have gone this afternoon but the GF couldn't get off work early.

Really excited since we've never been there. Its so far away (2 1/2 hours) that we've always said it had to be the 'right weekend/right artist' to make it worth it.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:27 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:50 pm

We are leaving tomorrow morning, early-ish, so we can beat the traffic and pick out our campsite. We would have gone this afternoon but the GF couldn't get off work early.

Really excited since we've never been there. Its so far away (2 1/2 hours) that we've always said it had to be the 'right weekend/right artist' to make it worth it.
Soak it all in. That venue should be on any live music fan's bucket list.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pavement reuniting for only two shows in 2020 - Primavera Sound in Barcelona and Porto. I’ve always wanted to visit Catalonia. Just sayin’.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DMB is there for three nights every Labor Day weekend. A friend of ours has gone the last two years and I’m tempted to join this September.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Gorge was a great venue. We were down in the reserved section, so we didn't get the really spectacular views of the sunset, but it was nice being that close to the stage.

Definitely was worth it to spring for the deluxe 'Terrace' camping option. Flush toilets, level campsites, and it was pretty quiet after the show. And the people we were camped next to were super chill and we ended up hanging out with them all afternoon before the show.

As for the music: Neko was great. Emmylou Harris is a legend, and sounded fantastic. But...we really need to talk about Brandi Carlile. This was a big show for her (Local gal headlining the Gorge for the first time, coming off a highly acclaimed album, and it was her birthday), and she fucking KILLED it. Just blew me away with her talent, and passion, in every song that she played. It was pretty incredible. Did a fantastic version of Zeppelin's 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You'.

Oh, and for her last song she brought her sister (they used to play open mics together back when Carlile was starting out) to do "Calling All Angels" with her.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

She’s no Belinda Carlisle.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I'm going to go see Ghost-Note tonight at Creative Alliance here in Baltimore.

Thinking I might need to figure out where the hell I put those edibles.
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We saw Cowboy Junkies a couple of nights ago (rescheduled from February, when it was postponed due to a snow storm). They played stuff from their new album in the first set, then came back out and played old stuff.

Sounded great. Not the most exciting live act, but Margo Timmins can still hit all the notes.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

So I live across the street from three 29 year old girls. We kind of look after each other. It's nice. Like a half hour ago, I decide to go for a walk, so I figure I'll take their lab with me. I go inside and there's nobody around (this is authorized...I have my own code, before you think it's weird). Not even dumb dog. Then one of them comes upstairs and she asks me what I'm up to. I said just looking for a dog to walk and she says, "You wanna come see Wu-Tang with me right now? My friend just backed out. I know the Bruins are playing but it's free and I'm driving."

Now I have...

- Nothing to do tonight
- No reason to get up early tomorrow
- No children
- No care for the Bruins

Someone who isn't a fucking cauldron of social anxiety just says "Yes," right?

Me: Ummm...tonight. NOW? Holy shit. Ummm...(85 reasons why this might be irrational rush through brain none of which are actually rational)...yeah, it's probably not best but thanks!

I loathe everything about me. I don't know how you guys deal with it.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

In solidarity with your suffering, I castrated myself. #lomastrong

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Did Ken shave his balls for this?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

rass wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:09 pm In solidarity with your suffering, I castrated myself. #lomastrong

That's actually extremely well done.

Worst part about this...the reason I gave was that my brother was coming over to watch the game which I immediately realized was not a reason because my brother doesn't care if I'm there. He just doesn't have cable and doesn't want to watch game 7 on his laptop. All he needs is my TV. After I said it though, the reason became that I didn't want her to feel bad for thinking I was blowing off of my brother.

20 minutes ago I get a text from my brother saying he's gonna bail. Thought he had technical difficulties but he fixed it.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:33 pm
rass wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:09 pm In solidarity with your suffering, I castrated myself. #lomastrong

I was blowing...my brother.
Is this how you found out you didn't like the taste of latex?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The most upsetting thing is it’s a show worth seeing. Like The Lumineers and you can atleast blame your subconscious tastes or something.

(Also, we need a like button for posts like Rass’s.)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jerloma, I know it goes without saying, but you need to fin a way to get out of your own head and relax a bit.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Jerloma....the most important thing when you find yourself single after years is to remember this: "Always say yes".

Should we get another pitcher? YES

Should we roll up a fattie and have a smoke? YES

Should we put up the spinnaker in 25 kts of breeze? OH FUCK YES

Should I go see the Wu Tang Clan with the young gal from across the street? Of course, YES!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Should I co-sign on the apartment she’s getting next week to finally get away from her drug kingpin husband?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:34 pm Jerloma, I know it goes without saying, but you need to fin a way to get out of your own head and relax a bit.
I know it, man. Working on it.

I should really probably be on meds but I really don't want to be on meds.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I realize I'm old, but I've heard of literally like six of these acts and I've probably only heard songs by about two of them, one of which is Kendrick Lamar.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

"Ski Mask The Slump God"

What in the everloving fuck is that?