The Live Music thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by brian »

Going to see Ben Nichols solo tonight in DTLV and because it's Las Vegas on a Wednesday I expect there to be like 20 people there. Good times. Pretty decent chance I might get to have a drink with him after the show at The Griffin though.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Seeing Pearl Jam at Safeco Field friday night (they played tonight as well). First shows they've played in Seattle in 5 years, and all the proceeds are going to groups to help with the homeless problems here.

Haven't seen them since Lollapalooza in Cincinnati in '92, which is so long ago it feels like I've never seen them.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:25 am Seeing Pearl Jam at Safeco Field friday night (they played tonight as well). First shows they've played in Seattle in 5 years, and all the proceeds are going to groups to help with the homeless problems here.

Haven't seen them since Lollapalooza in Cincinnati in '92, which is so long ago it feels like I've never seen them.
That is awesome. Pearl Jam in Seattle has to be a bucket lister.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Megan Rapinoe posted a bunch of stuff on Instagram from last night's show.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

LOL.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Phish's livestream is free tonight (Raleigh AllTell Pavilion)

Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Given the thud my last post in this thread cratered..Eh.

I saw Phish this weekend at Merriweather (Sat/Sun). I had a great time. Next up: CurveBall.
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Haven't had a chance to post about last week's Pearl Jam show at Safeco Field. Pretty damn amazing. Played for 3 1/2 hours. Lots of fun covers (see the set list here: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl-ja ... 8bca8.html). And they brought out Kim Thayil (Soundgarden) and Stever Turner and Mark Arm (Mudhoney) during the 2nd encore for 'Search And Destroy' and 'Sonic Reducer'.

Oh, and they raised $12 million over the two shows for homeless charities in Seattle.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Wife and I are headed to Merriweather tonight to see The National. Awaken the beast!
Noli Timere Messorem
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

In Asbury Park this weekend for the first Sea Hear Now fest, with Blondie playing Saturday at 6. 4 year old L-Jam emails his brothers for Debbis Harry.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:51 pm In Asbury Park this weekend for the first Sea Hear Now fest, with Blondie playing Saturday at 6. 4 year old L-Jam emails his brothers for Debbis Harry.
Get to the beer hall. Like now.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:08 pm Wife and I are headed to Merriweather tonight to see The National. Awaken the beast!
Lucky bastard. I'm in Orlando tonight and David Byrne is about to take the stage. Pretty stoked.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Should be a great one!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Great poster too
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:08 pm Wife and I are headed to Merriweather tonight to see The National. Awaken the beast!
Jealous as a MF. I’m currently baking a cake. La di da di da di da da.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:44 pm
Jealous as a MF. I’m currently baking a cake. La di da di da di da da.
Morning Dew. Yeah. Scratched an itch.

Cat Power opened for them. When she walked off the stage, she kept bumping underneath her chin to keep your chin up. This, after a song about celebrating being a woman. It was pretty fucking awesome.

Oh and yeah, Matt Berninger thanked them and then barked at the crowd to VOTE.

Pretty sure the next song he sank into the sea. Again.

Actually - MPP was maybe 1/2 full. Where the fuck are the hipsters who give a crap about this stuff?!
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Forgot to post that we saw Parquet Courts a few days ago for my birthday. Super fun show...dare I say that their sound has matured a bit from when we first saw them 4 years ago. Still slamming 'punk-esque', but now some songs that almost have a Beck feel to them, especially 'Wide Awake' from their new album.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Setlist for The National looks like a mix of “last albumL and “oh shit yes”.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:08 pm Forgot to post that we saw Parquet Courts a few days ago for my birthday. Super fun show...dare I say that their sound has matured a bit from when we first saw them 4 years ago. Still slamming 'punk-esque', but now some songs that almost have a Beck feel to them, especially 'Wide Awake' from their new album.
I saw Parquet Courts at Shaky Knees in Atlanta this past May. It was probably the loudest concert I've ever attended. I've seen a shit-ton of shows, too (perhaps 3000).

mister d wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:20 pm Setlist for The National looks like a mix of “last albumL and “oh shit yes”.
I have a few friends that can't quite put their finger on why they don't like The National. I was thinking about that on the drive home last night. I think it might have to do with the way Berninger sings..coupled with his incredibly introspective lyrics, I think some people put their guards up somewhat.

FWIW, I had a freakin blast last night.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'm really excited for you, and very jealous.

I had an odd experience at David Byrne. I'm by no means a superfan, but he's kind of an icon, right? So, Tune-Yards opens and they're VERY arty, avant garde, etc. Not so much that there isn't a tune or rhythm, but definitely out there. Byrne comes out, and he's great, and the whole show is well choreographed, and the stage is basically a black box with lights, and everyone is dressed in the same gray suits. His band is very multicultural, and really good at what they do. All that being said, I just can't shake that it's an old white dude leading everything. I'm sure he's an ally, and a feminist, etc., but the whole thing really kinda soured me. Like I said earlier, I'm no superfan, but "Burning down the House" and "Once In a Lifetime" are classics, and they were good live, and he was interesting, but I kinda just yearned for a different perspective.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:55 pm I'm really excited for you, and very jealous.

I had an odd experience at David Byrne. I'm by no means a superfan, but he's kind of an icon, right? So, Tune-Yards opens and they're VERY arty, avant garde, etc. Not so much that there isn't a tune or rhythm, but definitely out there. Byrne comes out, and he's great, and the whole show is well choreographed, and the stage is basically a black box with lights, and everyone is dressed in the same gray suits. His band is very multicultural, and really good at what they do. All that being said, I just can't shake that it's an old white dude leading everything. I'm sure he's an ally, and a feminist, etc., but the whole thing really kinda soured me. Like I said earlier, I'm no superfan, but "Burning down the House" and "Once In a Lifetime" are classics, and they were good live, and he was interesting, but I kinda just yearned for a different perspective.
I mean, you went to see David Byrne, and you’re upset David Byrne was there? The fact he’s as socially aware as nearly anybody in popular music is off-putting because he’s an older white guy?
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:53 am
govmentchedda wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:55 pm I'm really excited for you, and very jealous.

I mean, you went to see David Byrne, and you’re upset David Byrne was there? The fact he’s as socially aware as nearly anybody in popular music is off-putting because he’s an older white guy?
Yeah, I get it. I think a couple things added to my feelings: 1) Kavanaugh hearings; 2) I went to the show alone, so I had nothing but time with my own thoughts; 3) my limited exposure to DB.

I have some knowledge that he's socially active, a feminist, etc., but the optics of seeing one white man's perspective was kind of striking after this week.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:50 am
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:53 am

Yeah, I get it. I think a couple things added to my feelings: 1) Kavanaugh hearings; 2) I went to the show alone, so I had nothing but time with my own thoughts; 3) my limited exposure to DB.

I have some knowledge that he's socially active, a feminist, etc., but the optics of seeing one white man's perspective was kind of striking after this week.
That makes some sense. He made a comment to the crowd at Merriweather this past summer about how (paraphrasing) “If you’re feeling things fall apart, or that you’re beginning to feel that those in power suddenly care less about your welfare, then get off your ass and vote.” He also added commentary about recognizing that indifference is worse than the wrong candidate, but I’m not comfortable putting that one under a quotation.

Personally, I like the fact that an older white dude can still speak from the center. He appears to be radically left, but he’s really not. He’s common-freakin-sense. (That’s not a dig at you - but rather, to whatever has become of America institutions at the hands of a power-hungry GOP).

Actually, I think he might be touching on what you’re thinkinig about in one of the songs they played last night called “I Dance Like This.”

I'm working on my dancing
This is the best I can do
I'm tentatively shaking
You don't have to look
Can't say I'm sorry
I can't say I'm ashamed
Can't think of tomorrow
When it seems so far away

We dance like this
Because it feels so damn good
If we could dance better
Well, you know that we would
We dance like this
Because it feels so damn good
If we could dance better
Well, you know that we would
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

He made a point at the beginning of the show to emphasize getting out to vote, and partnering with a get out the vote group on this tour.

I like your thoughts about a white guy speaking from the center, and everyone having a voice. I think I am just tired of hearing from white guys in positions of power though, especially as a leader of a multicultural group. It's a paradox, I know, because he's employed a multicultural group for years, and that's a major start from the way things used to be, and was probably a trailblazer in that sense. Still, I was just in the mood for a female and/or POC perspective.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:08 pm Forgot to post that we saw Parquet Courts a few days ago for my birthday. Super fun show...dare I say that their sound has matured a bit from when we first saw them 4 years ago. Still slamming 'punk-esque', but now some songs that almost have a Beck feel to them, especially 'Wide Awake' from their new album.
Their new album is outfuckingstanding.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Went to the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival up in San Francisco today (day two of a three day free festival). Saw Steve Earle, Jeff Tweedy, Joe Ely and Jimmy Dale Gilmore. Good times!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Neglected to post a couple of recent shows...saw Courtney Barnett a couple of weeks ago. Lots of fun. And then we saw The Twilight Sad last weekend, who were great. Very Scottish Shoe-Gazey, with a bit of Joy Division mixed in. And they did a nice cover of Frightened Rabbit's 'Keep Yourself Warm'.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

My dear friend bought me a ticket to go see J. Mascis play an acoustic show up in North Hampton, MA in December and I can't wait.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

bfj wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:01 am My dear friend bought me a ticket to go see J. Mascis play an acoustic show up in North Hampton, MA in December and I can't wait.
That is a dear friend.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

bfj wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:01 am My dear friend bought me a ticket to go see J. Mascis play an acoustic show up in North Hampton, MA in December and I can't wait.
I saw J. Mascis playing solo a couple of years ago at the KEXP SMOOCH benefit show. It was great, but he is a weird dude. Definitely somewhere on the spectrum...he had a full array of Vitamin Water bottles arrayed 'just so' around him on stage, and didn't drink any of them.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Just an FYI North Hampton is one of the places in MA that actually has an operating dispensary. Don't recall if you imbibe in the beers or not but the People's Pint has good food and drink!
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

My buddy has a medical card and has a fully stocked weed bar (according to him), but good to know. Not sure about food, but that place may be on the menu.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:12 pm
I saw J. Mascis playing solo a couple of years ago at the KEXP SMOOCH benefit show. It was great, but he is a weird dude. Definitely somewhere on the spectrum...he had a full array of Vitamin Water bottles arrayed 'just so' around him on stage, and didn't drink any of them.
Yeah, he’s definitely got some of the ‘tism, but he makes great music.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

bfj wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:19 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:12 pm
Yeah, he’s definitely got some of the ‘tism, but he makes great music.
Yeah, it was super cool to see him live, up close (we were standing right by the stage) and in a small venue.

I wonder how prevalent the Asperger/Autism thing is among musicians. Saw Built to Spill at the same benefit show the next year, and guitarist/vocalist Doug Martsch was the same way.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We're waiting on my wife to get the offer from UC Health, I've been looking at venues in Denver and how close they are to the area we're initially looking at to rent when we first get there. Let's just say, I"m going to go broke with the venues within 10-15 minutes. I skip shows so many times because it's a 45-minute each way trek to get somewhere and park. But a 12 minute uber ride? Holy shit, that's a game-changer.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Giff wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:59 pm We're waiting on my wife to get the offer from UC Health, I've been looking at venues in Denver and how close they are to the area we're initially looking at to rent when we first get there. Let's just say, I"m going to go broke with the venues within 10-15 minutes. I skip shows so many times because it's a 45-minute each way trek to get somewhere and park. But a 12 minute uber ride? Holy shit, that's a game-changer.
Wait so the move is back on?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:05 pm
Giff wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:59 pm We're waiting on my wife to get the offer from UC Health, I've been looking at venues in Denver and how close they are to the area we're initially looking at to rent when we first get there. Let's just say, I"m going to go broke with the venues within 10-15 minutes. I skip shows so many times because it's a 45-minute each way trek to get somewhere and park. But a 12 minute uber ride? Holy shit, that's a game-changer.
Wait so the move is back on?
UC Health called her the day after she accepted her new job. She decided to go through with the interviews and now this week they gathered all her references indicating they should have a decision next week. I think we're going to go through with it if the offer is high enough.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Hehehe hehe
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I think that trait of great musicians or artists to be hyper focused and vigilant is very commonn among those with Autism. Some put that effort into music and others memorize maps, study math, learn everything there is to know about Thomas the Tank Engine. I’d imagine if you struggle with social interaction, having that guitar between you and the audience is a pretty good barrier.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue May 05, 2015 10:19 am Neutral Milk Hotel was amazing last night. Just so great.
Man in final stretch of conversation about album he never heard
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian