The Live Music thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by Rush2112 »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:12 am Not unlike you would when you quote a Grateful Dead song, you’re tacitly acknowledging the work of Robert Hunter.
You ain't gonna learn, what you don't want to know :)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I like how the Preservation Hall Jazz Band is joining DMB onstage more often. Dr John tribute:
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Also, if you taped any shows in the past, you may want to look through what you have: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... nd-854696/

A 40 year old cassette with 2 U2 songs on there that never came to be, In Your Hand and Concentration Cramp
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:26 am
EnochRoot wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:12 am Not unlike you would when you quote a Grateful Dead song, you’re tacitly acknowledging the work of Robert Hunter.
He's so damn good.

Cuz you've done better by me, than I've done by you
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:41 am I like how the Preservation Hall Jazz Band is joining DMB onstage more often. Dr John tribute:
That's awesome and thanks for posting that!

Actually, my wife and I went out to celebrate the A she just earned (she's earning an advanced degree from American U). We took a Lyft over to Max's here in Baltimore, and the driver who arrived at our house had Dr John blaring in her car when she arrived.
Noli Timere Messorem
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:09 pm
He's so damn good.

That's a Barlow lyric. Very underrated. Also, D&C at Folsom was a hoot.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:20 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:09 pm
He's so damn good.

That's a Barlow lyric. Very underrated. Also, D&C at Folsom was a hoot.
I'm glad you had a good time!
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Slayer announced the final leg of dates on their farewell tour and the second-to-last show is in Las Vegas, the day before Thanksgiving. No way I'm missing that. (Final show is in LA on Saturday, Nov. 30).

Also announced opening acts will be Primus and Ministry, which I'm completely on board with as well.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(And the Nazi guy.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:09 am (And the Nazi guy.)
I hadn't heard about that one, but just looked it up. I'll skip his set.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:12 am
A_B wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:56 pm Call me when Elton writes his own lyrics.

Seriously.. you can’t tout Elton John and quote the fucking lyrics.
Seriously? What an odd litmus test you have there.

When you quote an Elton John lyric, you’re tacitly acknowledging the involvement of Bernie Taupin. Not unlike you would when you quote a Grateful Dead song, you’re tacitly acknowledging the work of Robert Hunter.

I thought I knew, but now I know that rose trees never grow in New York City...

Billy Joel’s a well-established, philandering ass. He even tells you how much of a chauvinist he is when he sings “She’s Always a Woman to Me”, though he probably isn’t aware enough to realize it. Yeah, you’re the victim, Billy. (O;
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So wait...you cared enough to quote yourself because I didn't think your response warranted any kind of attention? I'd already self-deprecated myself with the response to Mister D. You're a weird dude. I like both Joel and John. I think Joel's a better songwriter. You don't. I'm ok with it. You clearly are...something with it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

brian wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:06 am Slayer announced the final leg of dates on their farewell tour and the second-to-last show is in Las Vegas, the day before Thanksgiving. No way I'm missing that. (Final show is in LA on Saturday, Nov. 30).

Also announced opening acts will be Primus and Ministry, which I'm completely on board with as well.
Not a Slayer fan, but Primus and Ministry both out on great shows when I saw them in the mid to late 90’s. Should be fun.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just found out Cursive and Cloud Nothings are playing a show together when I'm in NOLA in November. Might need to beg the wife to put that on the itinerary (she's not a live music fan nor does she like standing for a few hours).
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The killers, or I should probably say Brandon Flowers, put on a damn good show. Cold War kids and Portugal, the man were not much. Chromeo was solid. Judah and the lion were fun as hell.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

They are live streaming the DMB concert on Youtube and they just instructed all of the lawn people to go to their cars to ride out a lightening storm. This is the 3rd lightening delay this week for them. And it's 100 degrees. This may not go well.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

EdRomero wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:02 pm They are live streaming the DMB concert on Youtube and they just instructed all of the lawn people to go to their cars to ride out a lightening storm. This is the 3rd lightening delay this week for them. And it's 100 degrees. This may not go well.
Finally the poop-soaked denizens of the Midwest will have their revenge.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

https://etcanada.com/news/480418/dolly- ... highwomen/
The new supergroup (comprised of Brandi Carlile, Maren Morris, Natalie Hemby and Amanda Shires) were in the midst of their first live performance, welcoming an array of special guests including Sheryl Crow, Jade Bird, Jason Isbell and Linda Perry — and capped things off when Parton joined them onstage.
Just watched the clips and Dolly knows how to work a crowd. Also, I know I'm very late on the Brandi Carlisle bandwagon, but I just went through a youtube rabbit hole of her liver performances and she (and her band) is so good.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:07 am The killers, or I should probably say Brandon Flowers, put on a damn good show. Cold War kids and Portugal, the man were not much. Chromeo was solid. Judah and the lion were fun as hell.
Just saw this. Cold War Kids are one of the biggest diminishing returns bands I can think of. First listen is solid, second is familiar, then its quickly into tedious and annoying.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:06 am
A_B wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:07 am The killers, or I should probably say Brandon Flowers, put on a damn good show. Cold War kids and Portugal, the man were not much. Chromeo was solid. Judah and the lion were fun as hell.
Just saw this. Cold War Kids are one of the biggest diminishing returns bands I can think of. First listen is solid, second is familiar, then its quickly into tedious and annoying.
Not only that but their sound system was weird. You could barely hear vocals a big part of the time.

Portugal, the Man started out with a 15 minute Pink Floyd cover. I'm fine with a good cover in the set, but if you're starting out like that you don't have much confidence in your catalog. The Killers did a really good Tom Petty cover and Judah and the Lion did a Blink 182 three songs into their set, but it was good and it got the crowd going, so I don't begrudge them that.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Seeing the Stones tonight. They are doing this thing were they take votes online among 4 songs for a slot in the playlist.

I voted for 'Beast Of Burden'.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Seeing Calexico/Iron & Wine in Phoenix on Friday and Godspeed You! Black Emperor in LA on Saturday.

Probably shouldn't have looked at the GY!BE setlists prior to the show since it looks like they're playing two new songs (Brownshirts Drown In Glaciers Rise, Cliff) instead of Static. But it'll still kick some ass.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:20 pm Seeing the Stones tonight. They are doing this thing were they take votes online among 4 songs for a slot in the playlist.

🎵 Never smelled
Your pizza burnin’ 🎵
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:20 pm Seeing the Stones tonight. They are doing this thing were they take votes online among 4 songs for a slot in the playlist.

I didn't realize they were doing that for my show, but they played the one I'd have picked ("Heartbreaker").
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think basically everything the Stones have done since about the late 70s sucks ass. One man's opinion.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:56 am I think basically everything the Stones have done since about the late 70s sucks ass. One man's opinion.
I'm a later fan because I really disliked most of their bigger hits (Jumpin' Jack Flash, Satisfaction, etc.), but as I dug into their catalogue more, I became a huge fan. That said, I really have no interest after Tattoo You.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, I agree. Nothing after Tattoo You worth listening to. I still regularly listen to their old stuff tho. Exile on Main Street, Sticky Fingers. That's the stuff.

I saw the Stones in 1981. My friends and I were like, "Hey, they're getting old. We better go to this show, because who knows if there will ever be another one!"
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:10 am Yeah, I agree. Nothing after Tattoo You worth listening to. I still regularly listen to their old stuff tho. Exile on Main Street, Sticky Fingers. That's the stuff.

I saw the Stones in 1981. My friends and I were like, "Hey, they're getting old. We better go to this show, because who knows if there will ever be another one!"
I saw them in '89, and thought the same thing.

They were really good last night, but wow...Keith is looking rough. And he seemed to leave most of the 'heavy lifting' of the guitar playing to Ron Wood.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Rough is a very nice way of putting it.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Tattoo You is a great LP, and oddly enough, their hit, 'Start Me Up' is probably the worst song on it.

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:21 am
sancarlos wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:10 am Yeah, I agree. Nothing after Tattoo You worth listening to. I still regularly listen to their old stuff tho. Exile on Main Street, Sticky Fingers. That's the stuff.

I saw them in '89, and thought the same thing.

They were really good last night, but wow...Keith is looking rough. And he seemed to leave most of the 'heavy lifting' of the guitar playing to Ron Wood.
That's awesome. I'm glad you had a good time. The way I see it...Keith Richards wrote the riffs, but he does precious-little else. Before Ron Wood it was Mick Taylor (who really kept the band afloat (was the main cog in their greatest run of LPs, IMO) during Richards' heroin issues. Before Taylor, Brian Jones was the multi-instrumentalist that drove the band (til mental illness/alcoholism/addiction killed him).
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:35 am The way I see it...Keith Richards wrote the riffs, but he does precious-little else. Before Ron Wood it was Mick Taylor (who really kept the band afloat (was the main cog in their greatest run of LPs, IMO) during Richards' heroin issues. Before Taylor, Brian Jones was the multi-instrumentalist that drove the band (til mental illness/alcoholism/addiction killed him).
I'll co-sign this.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:35 am Tattoo You is a great LP, and oddly enough, their hit, 'Start Me Up' is probably the worst song on it.
And, if I remember correctly, most of the Tattoo you album are outtakes/leftovers from the Some Girls sessions.
That's awesome. I'm glad you had a good time. The way I see it...Keith Richards wrote the riffs, but he does pre
cious-little else. Before Ron Wood it was Mick Taylor (who really kept the band afloat (was the main cog in their greatest run of LPs, IMO) during Richards' heroin issues. Before Taylor, Brian Jones was the multi-instrumentalist that drove the band (til mental illness/alcoholism/addiction killed him).
In his book, Richards talks about how he always felt more comfortable being the rhythm, rather then the lead, guitarist. He also talked about how he learned a really funky tuning from the Everly brothers, and that's why Stones cover bands never sound quite right.

I was commenting last night that there are only a few bands that can pull off playing in a huge stadium, and the Stones are certainly one of them (others of the top of my head: U2, Springsteen). But it does feel strange watching the video monitors 95% of the time.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, we belong to a wine club for a winery in Sonoma whose owners are big fans of blues and jazz. They occasionally hold free concerts (with free wine) for club members. Going up Sunday to see British blues guitarist Matt Schofield.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Seeing The Hold Steady tonight, in a really small bar.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Lucky
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:53 pm Seeing The Hold Steady tonight, in a really small bar.
Coincidentally, I was on their site earlier today. Seattle is their only west coast stop this time. Enjoy.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:09 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:53 pm Seeing The Hold Steady tonight, in a really small bar.
Coincidentally, I was on their site earlier today. Seattle is their only west coast stop this time. Enjoy.
At least you know someone else on tour in your area.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I love The Hold Steady but seen them five times. Going to Calexico/Iron & Wine tonight, neither of which I’ve seen live so I’m stoked.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:40 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:09 pm
At least you know someone else on tour in your area.
Tomorrow! DSG appears live and in concert in San Carlos, California !
Last edited by sancarlos on Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:44 pm I love The Hold Steady but seen them five times. Going to Calexico/Iron & Wine tonight, neither of which I’ve seen live so I’m stoked.
That’d be cool. I’ll see them in October at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass.