The Live Music thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by brian »

I thought about maybe coming out there for that this year but it’s too close to NHL opening weekend and I have tix for Angels & Airwaves that weekend.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

They’re not selling merch for GY!BE but they’ve allowed LA Antifa to setup merch and are selling books and United Front t-shirts.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Could go in the brushes with thread but seen at the Godspeed You! Black Emperor show — Aya Cash, Scoot McNairy and Seth Rogen.

The new version of BBF3 with film of Trump supporters assaulting protestors intertwined with southern cops assaulting civil rights marchers and Nazi troops beating protestors in the 1930s was insanely powerful.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:21 am
sancarlos wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:10 am Yeah, I agree. Nothing after Tattoo You worth listening to. I still regularly listen to their old stuff tho. Exile on Main Street, Sticky Fingers. That's the stuff.

I saw the Stones in 1981. My friends and I were like, "Hey, they're getting old. We better go to this show, because who knows if there will ever be another one!"
I saw them in '89, and thought the same thing.
Saw them in '89 as well. I was in college and thought they were really old, but I was impressed at how active they were at that age. That was 30 years ago. The mind boggles.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Saw the Claypool-Lennon Delirium this weekend. Fantastic.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The new expanded line-up (with Selvidge on guitar and Franz back on keyboards) for the Hold Steady sounded fantastic. Put on one hell of a show Friday night.

ETA: Before the band came out on Friday night, as their intro music, they played Soundgarden's 'Mind Riot'. To hear that song, super loud, in that venue, was pretty much perfect.

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:25 am The new expanded line-up (with Selvidge on guitar and Franz back on keyboards) for the Hold Steady sounded fantastic. Put on one hell of a show Friday night.

ETA: Before the band came out on Friday night, as their intro music, they played Soundgarden's 'Mind Riot'. To hear that song, super loud, in that venue, was pretty much perfect.

I'm luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind.

Looove that song. Love that LP.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Seeing queen on Friday in Charlotte. Took youngest to buy T-shirts since you can’t wear a queen shirt to a queen show. He got a Led Zeppelin and I got a Guns N’ Roses similarities to queen be damned. Looking forward to it. It was a Christmas present eight months in the making.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Don't you have daughters?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

After the first couple of songs, which was either my ears adjusting or the sound techs adjusting, the hat was a pretty awesome show.

ETA: Brain May really controls the whole show. It’s impressive. He barely left stage until very late. Had an extended solo around a show that was super cool. And Adam Lambert is no Freddie Mercury but he does the songs justice.

They also do a good job using videos and sound of Freddie at certain moments. This was apparently the last show of the tour. They player for just over two hours. Very pleased.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Thinking about heading to LA in a few weekends for a VGK/LAK game on Oct 13 and checking out Pollstar for concert listings on October 12 and came across this gem.

The Hu, a Mongolian metal band, is playing The Teragram Ballroom on Saturday and The Who is playing the Hollywood Bowl on Sunday. I would love to see how many The Who fans end up at the former thinking it's some kind of "secret" club show.

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Seeing Elton John tonight. Should be fun...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Seeing The Mountain Goats/Lydia Loveless. Excited about both. First-ever time seeing The Mountain Goats and it's the final show of this tour.

ETA: Bonus points for getting to see Jon Wurster's twitter feed for the next couple of days.

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:38 am Seeing The Mountain Goats/Lydia Loveless. Excited about both. First-ever time seeing The Mountain Goats and it's the final show of this tour.
Lydia Loveless is one of my favorites.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:38 am Seeing The Mountain Goats/Lydia Loveless. Excited about both. First-ever time seeing The Mountain Goats and it's the final show of this tour.

ETA: Bonus points for getting to see Jon Wurster's twitter feed for the next couple of days.

He's one of my favorite follows, and he's even better on Instagram.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:25 pm
I just met her after the show and she is intimidating. Not in a bad necessarily but damn. I’m still a little shook.

Awesome show all the way around. Dardanelle was in great form.

ETA: Saw John Wurster and the bassist at In-N-Out a half hour after the show. Small town sometimes.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Narducy!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So, I was watching Lydia Loveless opening and this couple behind me just would not shut up, so after three songs of that I turned around and just politely asked if they could save their conversation until her set was over and they were cool about it and did.

So after the show, the woman starts talking to me and is really apologetic and said they didn't realize they were being loud and generally just being really cool about it and she hands me a small package and says she wants me to have it but to wait to open until later because she didn't want to be embarrassed. She said she's an artist and makes one for each song on a particular album for bands she likes and will just give them out or leave them to be found. So this was for "Broom People" on The Sunset Tree.

They offered to buy me a beer too, but they were so contrite and so nice and it was just such a nice gesture to give me her art, I refused saying I had won some money earlier (I had not).

It was a good lesson that it's best to be polite and also to sometimes say something when you normally might otherwise suffer in silence.

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:34 am So, I was watching Lydia Loveless opening and this couple behind me just would not shut up, so after three songs of that I turned around and just politely asked if they could save their conversation until her set was over and they were cool about it and did.

So after the show, the woman starts talking to me and is really apologetic and said they didn't realize they were being loud and generally just being really cool about it and she hands me a small package and says she wants me to have it but to wait to open until later because she didn't want to be embarrassed. She said she's an artist and makes one for each song on a particular album for bands she likes and will just give them out or leave them to be found. So this was for "Broom People" on The Sunset Tree.

They offered to buy me a beer too, but they were so contrite and so nice and it was just such a nice gesture to give me her art, I refused saying I had won some money earlier (I had not).

It was a good lesson that it's best to be polite and also to sometimes say something when you normally might otherwise suffer in silence.

That's really cool. Mountain Goats are great live. Bummed I had to miss them the last time they were in town.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Elton John last night was...well....Elton Fuckin' John. Which is to say pretty amazing (All Killer/No Filler!). Played for 3 hours, and every song was fantastic.

He got pretty emotional at the end, when he was thanking the audience and saying how lucky he's been to be able to do this for 50 years.

The one question I had is: Where did he get his rug/hairplugs? Must be the same guy that does Tom Brady's...
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:11 am
I just met her after the show and she is intimidating. Not in a bad necessarily but damn. I’m still a little shook.

OK, need to hear more about this.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:46 am
brian wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:11 am

OK, need to hear more about this.
She was very nice and I only talked with her for about 20 seconds, but she just has an absolutely withering look when she looks at you. I don't know how to best describe it. Like she seemed like she was fine to talk to me for a few seconds and she wasn't acting like I was wasting her time and was gracious, but if I thought that she did think that combined with the look she gave me, it felt like I would have turned into a puddle. Maybe the word I'm looking for is just "charisma". I've only been that close (i.e. literally face to face) with a small number of people with whom I've felt anything similar and one was Bill Clinton. Not even people whose work I revere, love and admire like Patterson Hood or Ben Nichols have I felt that intimidated in an interaction.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Seeing Reckless Kelly at my favorite venue in the city tonight. Can't wait.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:11 pm Seeing Reckless Kelly at my favorite venue in the city tonight. Can't wait.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:28 pm
BSF21 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:11 pm Seeing Reckless Kelly at my favorite venue in the city tonight. Can't wait.
I was out of town when they played by my office last week..bummed
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It's going to be another outstanding lineup in San Francisco on October 4-6 for the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival. Five stages. So many acts I'd like to see. But five stages leads to tough choices. For instance on Saturday afternoon at about the same time you can choose from Margo Price, Robert Earl Keen, the Long Ryders, and Calexico/Iron & Wine. Sheesh.

Too many names to list, but here is the list on their website.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Do not miss Calexico/I&W if you can help it. Their show in Phoenix was outstanding.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:11 pm Do not miss Calexico/I&W if you can help it. Their show in Phoenix was outstanding.
Yeah. I want to see them. But, I want to see Margo Price, too. Dammit! I can miss REK because I've seen him plenty of times already. Long Ryders are early enough to see them and then get to one of the other stages - I don't know if any of you are familiar with the Long Ryders, but they were big in the mid-1980s cowpunk scene and I loved them then (reminder: I am old), and had no idea they had reformed until I saw this lineup.

This is them way back then:
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That looks like it would be a cool show to see. Should mention I'm not sure how well Calexico/I&W would translate to an outdoor venue though I assume they're adjusting their setlist to focus mostly on the louder stuff so given that might not be too much of a worry about skipping. They're supposedly touring again in early 2020 as well, which is pretty awesome. I figured this might be a two month thing and then another 15 year gap.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I really don't like I&W at all.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

In Asbury Park right now prepping for Sea Hear Now. Lumineers, the B-52s, DMB, and BLIND FUCKIN’ MELON!
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:48 pm In Asbury Park right now prepping for Sea Hear Now. Lumineers, the B-52s, DMB, and BLIND FUCKIN’ MELON!
It's no Blind Melon with out fucking Shannon Hoon. Fuck them.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We accidentally went to Asbury last year during the fest and it wasn't really that bad, crowd-wise. I imagine this year's will be a lot bigger.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

duff wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:51 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:48 pm In Asbury Park right now prepping for Sea Hear Now. Lumineers, the B-52s, DMB, and BLIND FUCKIN’ MELON!
It's no Blind Melon with out fucking Shannon Hoon. Fuck them.
Yeah, I have to admit that when I saw L-Jam's post, I imagined him up on stage with the band, Weekend at Bernie's-style.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Going to see Angels & Airwaves tonight. Definitely a "guilty pleasure" band.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I keep meaning to ask...who?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Giff wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:01 pm I keep meaning to ask...who?
One of the guys from Blink 182’s emo band, I think?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah the alien guy. But I’m a sucker for power pop.

Anyway they probably have the smallest ratio of fervent fans to “fans” of any band ever. With these guys it’s almost “Superfan” or nothing. It’s crazy.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If you think about it it’s pretty amazing how technology has destroyed the market for in-person ticket scalping
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This guy who looks like Adam Scott just chiseled me down from $40 to $20 for my AVA ticket but it’s a fuckin pain to sell a “real” ticket these days.