The Live Music thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by EnochRoot »

Sabo wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:17 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:33 pm Just got word that Built to Spill is playing a split bill with the Afghan Whigs down the road from my house in a few months.

Odd pairing. I consider BtS generally to be an indie / lo-fi act. The Whigs? More loud, brash, yet produced. Dunno. Should be a fun night regardless.
Going to see both bands next Wednesday when they play in Cleveland. I've never heard a BtS song, but I love the Whigs.
You in Reverse is a great album, though they appear to be playing more from Keep it Like a Secret than any of their other LPs this tour.

They're a freakin blast to see live. Have fun!

(Do report back: I'm seeing them next week!)
Noli Timere Messorem
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Sabo wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:17 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:33 pm Just got word that Built to Spill is playing a split bill with the Afghan Whigs down the road from my house in a few months.

Odd pairing. I consider BtS generally to be an indie / lo-fi act. The Whigs? More loud, brash, yet produced. Dunno. Should be a fun night regardless.
Going to see both bands next Wednesday when they play in Cleveland. I've never heard a BtS song, but I love the Whigs.
I found that first show set list they tweeted that ended with "The Boys of Summer" to be very intriguing.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:36 pmI found that first show set list they tweeted that ended with "The Boys of Summer" to be very intriguing.
To be honest, if they played all the songs from "Do to the Beast" in order, I'd be very happy with the show.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Some thoughts after the Whigs/Built to Spill show in Cleveland:

1. The opening act, called Rituals of Mine, was rather interesting. It was just a woman singing and a drummer, but they had a pre-recorded bass and synth track playing as well. The singer was outstanding ... her voice reminded me a lot of Kate Bush. Folks who like electronic music might dig it.

2. Next up were the Whigs. They absolutely killed it. I've seen the Whigs four or five times, and this is the best I've ever seen them. Greg Dulli's voice was a little rough at first, but once it warmed up he was on fire. Good light show, and all of their amps were decorated with scenes from the In Spades cover. They looked professional, and gave a great professional performance. And the fans were very into it ... lots of dancing and singing along to the songs played.

3. Built to Spill was up next. I've never heard any of their stuff before, so I was looking forward to seeing what they can do. I was greatly disappointed. I don't know I've ever seen a band mail in a performance as much as they did. They had no light show, and no real gear to speak of. It was three guys on a stage with absolutely nothing around them. It looked like they were performing at a high school. There was no energy in the performance, and the crowd showed it. No one was dancing or showed any real interest in the show. I will admit the guitarist has a LOT of skill, but their show was so lackluster we left after six songs.

All in all, I enjoyed the night. But it definitely ended on a downer.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Sabo wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:54 am Some thoughts after the Whigs/Built to Spill show in Cleveland:

1. The opening act, called Rituals of Mine, was rather interesting. It was just a woman singing and a drummer, but they had a pre-recorded bass and synth track playing as well. The singer was outstanding ... her voice reminded me a lot of Kate Bush. Folks who like electronic music might dig it.

2. Next up were the Whigs. They absolutely killed it. I've seen the Whigs four or five times, and this is the best I've ever seen them. Greg Dulli's voice was a little rough at first, but once it warmed up he was on fire. Good light show, and all of their amps were decorated with scenes from the In Spades cover. They looked professional, and gave a great professional performance. And the fans were very into it ... lots of dancing and singing along to the songs played.

3. Built to Spill was up next. I've never heard any of their stuff before, so I was looking forward to seeing what they can do. I was greatly disappointed. I don't know I've ever seen a band mail in a performance as much as they did. They had no light show, and no real gear to speak of. It was three guys on a stage with absolutely nothing around them. It looked like they were performing at a high school. There was no energy in the performance, and the crowd showed it. No one was dancing or showed any real interest in the show. I will admit the guitarist has a LOT of skill, but their show was so lackluster we left after six songs.

All in all, I enjoyed the night. But it definitely ended on a downer.
I have no idea how you can walk away disappointed (considering Doug Martsch was likely the best guitarist inside whatever city limits you were in when you saw that show). Built to Spill were never a showman's band, so perhaps it was the marked disparity between them and the smoke-machine setup of the Whigs along with Greg Dooly's neo-Mojo Rising? Doug Martsch is one of my favorite guitarists - but yeah, he's reticent in his demeanor. Consequence of Sound nails that aspect pretty well.

I caught the show last night, but rather than the singer/drummer duo, we got Ed Harcourt. Same sort of thing though where he'd set songs up by recording a bunch of loops that he'd eventually play his guitar with. He was OK. The Whigs were good too. But the night belonged to Doug Martsch. Dude's a master of the fretboard, and he reminded us he's a part of the indie rock royalty he's always been.

Spin Magazine:
He can noodle you into submission, but chops aren’t what make Doug Martsch’s playing so charming. It’s the doodly little riffs he pairs with his endearing whine like a fine wine — bloopy nuggets of melody wound around his voice that you find yourself humming long after the final chorus fades. Attend a BTS show and prepare to hear a lot of dudes singing guitar solos in your face.
I'll add that after one of his 8-10 minute sonic explorations, he shows his appreciation to the crowd with a whispery "thanks".

I'm guessing that man's resting heart rate never exceeds 60 bpm.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I get that not all bands are for everyone. It probably didn't help that you didn't know any BtS stuff beforehand, and that their stage presence is understated and very lo-fi. That being said, I would've loved to see that show.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

About to see the Breeders, Julien Baker, Father John Misty, and The National tonight. It's chilly as fuck in Cincy, and the festival is between the stadiums, right on the river. Gonna be a cold one tonight.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Particularly after seeing a guy who styles himself after Jim Morrison.

I’m excited to see The National at Shaky Knees next weekend. Have fun!
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shaky Knees has been great in the past. I loved it the two years I went up. Swabbed it this year to come to Cincinnati.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:20 pm Shaky Knees has been great in the past. I loved it the two years I went up. Swabbed it this year to come to Cincinnati.
Yeah I had to pass on it last year because my wife was sick. The only problem I have with it this year is that the festival’s too front-loaded. But whatever. We’re going to have a blast.
Noli Timere Messorem
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:31 pmI have no idea how you can walk away disappointed (considering Doug Martsch was likely the best guitarist inside whatever city limits you were in when you saw that show).
Because their performance wasn't entertaining. Even my friend who went to the show with me, who is a Built to Spill fan, thought it was dull. It was his idea to leave early. I didn't argue.

And I'm not being intentionally argumentative or a downer or whatever. I won't dispute Martsch is a very talented guitarist. I just didn't find their performance compelling.
govmentchedda wrote:About to see the Breeders, Julien Baker, Father John Misty, and The National tonight. It's chilly as fuck in Cincy, and the festival is between the stadiums, right on the river. Gonna be a cold one tonight.
The friend who went with me to Whigs/BTS lives in Cincy and is at this show, too. So if you see a thin guy with glasses, salt-and-pepper hair and a pretty epic gray beard, tell him I said hello.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:43 pm About to see the Breeders, Julien Baker, Father John Misty, and The National tonight. It's chilly as fuck in Cincy, and the festival is between the stadiums, right on the river. Gonna be a cold one tonight.
Google says Alvvays is part of this show too. I'd definitely check them out if their timing allows.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Sabo wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:40 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:31 pmI have no idea how you can walk away disappointed (considering Doug Martsch was likely the best guitarist inside whatever city limits you were in when you saw that show).
Because their performance wasn't entertaining. Even my friend who went to the show with me, who is a Built to Spill fan, thought it was dull. It was his idea to leave early. I didn't argue.

And I'm not being intentionally argumentative or a downer or whatever. I won't dispute Martsch is a very talented guitarist. I just didn't find their performance compelling.
Did he say whether or not he'd seen them live before? Cuz that's what they do. There wasn't really anything dull about it (if you know what to expect). The compelling thing about Built to Spill is his guitar playing. Still, I can see where had you guys been looking forward to seeing the Afghan Whigs, having them finish up and then see an indie act for another 90 minutes, is frankly a lot to ask.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Two drummer for guilty party? Is good!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:37 pm
Sabo wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:40 pm

Did he say whether or not he'd seen them live before? Cuz that's what they do. There wasn't really anything dull about it (if you know what to expect). The compelling thing about Built to Spill is his guitar playing. Still, I can see where had you guys been looking forward to seeing the Afghan Whigs, having them finish up and then see an indie act for another 90 minutes, is frankly a lot to ask.
I walked out on Jason isbell after about five songs once. Sometimes it isn’t the right vibe.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Built To Spill ain’t a dance band.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

All the wine is all for me.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Fuck that’s a strong set.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yep, and no Boxer. Hafta wait until tomorrow for that.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Kinda concerned with them having a second drummer. Is Bryan too high? It sounded great, but it felt odd. That may have been because of how little we could focus on either Devendorf from where we were standing.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

P!nk was awesome.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:49 am Kinda concerned with them having a second drummer. Is Bryan too high? It sounded great, but it felt odd. That may have been because of how little we could focus on either Devendorf from where we were standing.
Something in the mix the second night made the second drummer less prominent. We weren't far away from the same spot as night one, and we could hear both Devendorfs much better on night 2. Had a hard time hearing Bryce last night though.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

https://uproxx.com/music/the-national-h ... ssion=true

FWIW, I thought Matt was hammered on Sunday night too.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If you're being compared to Bob Pollard in any sense you're doing something right.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:26 pm For once, I'd like to see Isbell with Amanda in the band. Seen him twice, neither time was she there. He and the 400 Unit were great tonight, but there's something missing without her.
https://www.npr.org/event/music/5458442 ... sk-concert
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:54 am If you're being compared to Bob Pollard in any sense you're doing something right.
C'mon, c'mon, c'mon, the club is open!

Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:49 am Kinda concerned with them having a second drummer. Is Bryan too high? It sounded great, but it felt odd. That may have been because of how little we could focus on either Devendorf from where we were standing.
Alright, finally seeing some videos from the shows. What's up with all the extra musicians?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Lisa Hannigan sang back up on Sleep Well Beast, I believe. She sang with them both nights. One of the guys from Mouse on Mars (I think) did a lot of the electronic stuff on the album as well, and joined them on Sunday only. Ben Sloan is the name of the second drummer that played with them both nights. He had a set on the smaller stage on Sunday, that I believe included Bryan. I didn't make it to that one. Sloan's style of drumming was quite manic, and entertaining to watch. Matt really fucked up his kit on Sunday night.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Stereogum article has a ton of videos embedded.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I might rather see it in concert, atleast in a bigger audience venue, but there's no way the album itself is better.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I think the most disappointing thing about the weekend was having to leave Julien Baker (Saturday) and Alvvays (Sunday) early to find a good spot to wait for the National.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Racing Like a Pro and Ada both dragged a bit. Gospel was amazing to see live though.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That Ringer writer's favorite National song is All the Wine too. Perhaps I am that Ringer writer?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

No argument there. The best of Alligator holds up with the best of Boxer, its the low points and lack of continuity that put it behind.

How was Alvvays? I'm a big fan of the sound but could see them not really being great live.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Alvvays was good. Only heard like 3 songs of theirs though, and really bummed one of them wasn't Archie, Marry Me.

The best non-National band that we heard was The Breeders. So good, and so fun. I'm sure I looked like a goofy idiot with a permasmile on my face throughout. I love Kim Deal.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Not to detract from The National Thread, but I got tix to see Paramore in July. I'm stoked. Shame I'm gonna be married by then since I'm sure Hayley Williams would have finally married me if we were in the same city. C'est la vie.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Mrs Root and I got down to Atlanta Thursday night for the Shaky Knees Festival. Yesterday was fun... we saw (in order of appearance on various stages): Ghost of Paul Revere (bluegrass done up Portland, Maine style. Not bad, actually. Courtney Barnett (She’s really, really good. The only nit I have to pick is that she needs somebody to balance off her drone-y voice. But holy crap was that show otherwise good. Ton of vitality, and it was good seeing the hot young things 25 years my junior singing at one another word for word.

One in particular was the repeated lines in the song, Faceless Nameless:
Iwanna walk through the park in the dark
Men are scared that women will laugh at them
I wanna walk through the park in the dark
Women are scared that men will kill them
I hold my keys
Between my fingers]
Next up we went and got some ice coffees and watched us some Black Angels. Stoner rock, done up in 5-7 minute samples. Yes please. After, we went back to one of the huge stages to catch David Byrne. If you have a chance to see him this summer: DO IT. The band is all on stage (varying in size between 5 and 10 or so), and they all have a choreographed part, instruments and all. Songs about life, reality and love. Basically, what the Talking Heads were always about (covered a few Heads tunes, too). What was also fun was how Janelle Monae was one of the backup singers and their encore was her song, Hell You Talmbout (googled lyrics. This is Georgia. There’s an extra level of stones it took for him to do that. We caught the Fleet Foxes after, but we bailed on the prospects of seeing Jack White and instead headed over to Decatur to the Brickstore Pub. That place is worth its weight in hops. Or something like that.

Today we’re eyeing up Parquet Courts, War on Drugs, and likely QOTSA. Tomorrow it’s Alvvays, Lord Huron, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and The National. And about a hundred bands inbetween...

#Midfortiespretendingtobemidtwenties...
Last edited by EnochRoot on Sat May 05, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shaky Knees is a really fun, well put on, festival. Enjoy!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Brian. What'd you think of the Godspeed show?