The Live Music thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote:
Giff wrote:I don't think This Desert Life is cheery at all, other than maybe the first single. That's probably my favorite album top to bottom.

Hangingaround sets a horrible tone and there are a bunch that are too ... dance-y isn't the right word, but I couldn't accept bouncing around to a CC song. I feel like in person, perhaps next time Rass sees me, I could demonstrate better what I mean. Like more than half the songs you can do a half-time version of this peanuts kid dance below. The whole sound changed to me.

For someone who likes their debut so much, it's weird you've never heard Mr. Jones.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Giff wrote:For someone who likes their debut so much, it's weird you've never heard Mr. Jones.

Someone call the police! There's been a murder of one!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote:For someone who likes their debut so much, it's weird you've never heard Mr. Jones.

Nah, its not the same 1-2, 1-2, 1-2, 1-2 rhythm. "Monkey" would be closer to that from the first two albums but it works because its an exception. Someone far more musical than me would be able to explain what changed in terms clearer and smarter.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I can't imagine any rock star wants to be on the cover of AARP.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote:

Nah, its not the same 1-2, 1-2, 1-2, 1-2 rhythm. "Monkey" would be closer to that from the first two albums but it works because its an exception. Someone far more musical than me would be able to explain what changed in terms clearer and smarter.

I really think you may be thinking about their 4th album. Aside from Hanginaround, This Desert Life isn't cheery or anything approaching that, IMO.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sing "Heeeyyy Mrs. Potter" in your head while doing the peanuts kid dance. It works.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Superchunk was great, as expected, last night at the FEST in Gainesville. They still have it, even after all these years. Hum was quite good Saturday night too.

The 2 bands that immediately preceded Hum were horrendous (Career Suicide, and Iron Reagan). I really liked Iron Chic, who opened for Superchunk. They sounded like Gaslight Anthem at their most rocking, with less Springsteen influence.

The most surprising thing about the weekend was how great Gainesville has become. There were a ton of smaller spots that have opened up in the 18 years or so since I lived there that were very cool.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We saw Elbow the other night, and they were fantastic. Almost criminal that a band that talented and passionate isn't a bigger name.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Well, they’d be a slightly bigger name if they added an S.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Selbow?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Still bigger!
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Seeing these guys tonight.

https://youtu.be/1dW4mgiEBGM?t=56m25s

Giggity!
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

They still got it live. Saw them a couple or three years ago and was impressed.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Yeah I saw them a few years ago down in Raleigh at the Hopscotch Music Festival. Prior to that I saw them around 93? 94?

They're fun as hell to see live. Shoegazing with an attitude.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Stock up on earplugs.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Oh bring it on baby.

I wouldn't sell my soul but I'd hang for this!
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote:Oh bring it on baby.

I wouldn't sell my soul but I'd hang for this!

Wow. I guess you are saying that there's something going on inside that makes you want to feel, makes you want to try, makes you want to blow the stars from the sky?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Look...I may be television sick and yeah, I guess I am television crazy, but NOBODY ever worked so hard to make me feed so bad.

But whatever.

I always knew she'd take me back.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Brothers Reid were freakin fantastic. That familiar wall of sound that William builds up has even more textures than when I saw them a few years ago...and Jim? He’s the ‘scene’. The voice. The look. The bow on the package. What’s funny is this is 2017. They took the alt-rock scene by storm what, 30 years ago?

It’s important to note that I prefer the William Reids and Kevin Shields of the world over the Trey Anastasio-types (Trey himself, being a notable exception)...

The JaMC package the ambience so damn well. The sight and sound...and the ‘in-between’. Because they’re still cool. And they know it. The only thing they left me wanting for was a larger catalog.

I stepped back in time last night..to when I was a bolo tie-wearin' kid who knew all the cool music and the places to be before you did. I prided myself on that shit. But alas. Now I'm losing my edge.

But whatever. It was a fucking blast.
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

EnochRoot wrote:I stepped back in time last night..to when I was a bolo tie-wearin' kid

I wish Bolo ties would be cool again. I'm just biding my time...

Now I'm losing my edge.

https://youtu.be/6xG4oFny2Pk
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Precisely.
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote:Lucero was in rare form tonight. Second-drunkest I've ever seen Ben Nichols and he was on point.

He (Nichols) is playing a tiny little club a couple towns over in February. Worth seeing as a guy who can name like 2 Lucero songs?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote:
brian wrote:Lucero was in rare form tonight. Second-drunkest I've ever seen Ben Nichols and he was on point.

He (Nichols) is playing a tiny little club a couple towns over in February. Worth seeing as a guy who can name like 2 Lucero songs?

For a solo show I don’t know. I think even the solo stuff is pretty awesome but your mileage might vary. I’d go for sure but if I were you I wouldn’t stress about missing it.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Last night was the Smooch benefit show, put on by KEXP. Lots more fun this time, compared to the total downer closing set by Father John Buzzkill (who led to the invention of the word "Dick-va" to describe his antics).

Last night was Phantogram (our 3rd time seeing them in the last 14 months), Built To Spill, Tacocat (very fun...included a cover of "All I want for Christmas Is You"), and local group called Dirty Bomb, with one of the Nordstrom brothers playing bass and his wife as the lead singer, and then a bunch of kids from a local "School Of Rock" program. And those kids completely KILLED it! There was one kid...who must have been about 12 or 13, with a mohawk, who was shredding on lead guitar. Very fun to see.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The wife and I are headed to Cincinnati in April for the National's Homecoming festival. Full lineup announced tomorrow.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote:The wife and I are headed to Cincinnati in April for the National's Homecoming festival. Full lineup announced tomorrow.

Father John Misty is second billed. Mister D's dream bill!

(I LOVE Lord Huron live. If you've never seen them, don't miss that.)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I just put together a Spotify playlist with 10 songs each from the bands announced for the festival. Currently on the Lord Huron songs, and I like what I'm hearing. Pretty stoked to see the Breeders on the bill. Makes sense, given the Deals are from Ohio. I'm really looking forward to Alvvays and Julien Baker. I saw Baker a few years back, and she was fantastic. Just a girl and a guitar, but powerful.

My hatred for FJM thawed a little today when listening to the 10 songs I put on my playlist.

I've seen a lot of love for Moses Sumney and Big Thief in 2017 best of lists. Looking forward to listening to them.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I haven't really gotten the Lord Huron love. Link me something to change my mind.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:I haven't really gotten the Lord Huron love. Link me something to change my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td_CYmQujd0
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Just got word that Built to Spill is playing a split bill with the Afghan Whigs down the road from my house in a few months.

Odd pairing. I consider BtS generally to be an indie / lo-fi act. The Whigs? More loud, brash, yet produced. Dunno. Should be a fun night regardless.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:33 pm Just got word that Built to Spill is playing a split bill with the Afghan Whigs down the road from my house in a few months.

Odd pairing. I consider BtS generally to be an indie / lo-fi act. The Whigs? More loud, brash, yet produced. Dunno. Should be a fun night regardless.
I'm psyched about that bill. They're not playing Vegas of course, but I'm going to drive to PHX or LA. Co-headlining bills like this aren't done enough in my opinion.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:34 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:33 pm Just got word that Built to Spill is playing a split bill with the Afghan Whigs down the road from my house in a few months.

I'm psyched about that bill. They're not playing Vegas of course, but I'm going to drive to PHX or LA. Co-headlining bills like this aren't done enough in my opinion.
Agreed on split bills. I'm sure I've seen others since, but I actually saw Built to Spill on a split bill with the Meat Puppets (same venue actually). Setlist.fm for the memory win. 9.24.08.

I like the QOTSA-esque swagger to the Whigs. My brother eats that shit up. Unless that tour rips through Tampa/Orlando he'll probably fly up for it.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Just checked and that tour doesn't come near Tampa or Orlando.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

5 shows announced within the last week or so (4 yesterday), all in a three-week span from late April to mid-May:

David Byrne
Jack White
Jason Isbell
Dr. Dog
Dave Matthews Band

I bet if I gave everyone one guess as to the two I'm going to for sure, everyone would lose.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

David Byrne and Doctor Dog
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'll go w/ the two Davids.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The one who goes by David and Jack.

Dr. Dog most likely.

Have to miss DMB because we'll be out of town that day. That was a roller coaster of emotions in 17 seconds: "YAY! New album and tour! BOO! Tour starts in Houston when I'll be in Illinois!" Luckily my niece just moved to Seattle, so we're going to take a Labor Day trip out there and see DMB at The Gorge. So bucket list and what not.

And while I obviously love me some Isbell, I've seen him twice in the last two years and with the other shows, can't justify dropping the cash again.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:34 pm

Wiltern in LA is a beautiful venue.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Had to choose for this Saturday between seeing Spoon for free or paying to see The National, so Spoon it is.