The Live Music thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:C'mooonnnnnnn ...

I get seat-filling invites all of the time to concerts or shows (e.g. Billboard Music Awards, ACA, etc.) that are being filmed (either for TV or for DVD or something) here, but you have to abide by a dress code. It's not really that unusual. It's not apples to apples, but it's their fucking party, not the fans'. If their fans don't like it, don't go. It's simple, 1st grade shit.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

WHAT TO WEAR:
Our dress code is HIP & TRENDY as if you are going to a concert or night out with friends! The event is standing-room-only so please plan accordingly.
PLEASE DO NOT WEAR shorts, large logos, flip flops, tank tops, crop tops, baseball hats, solid white or red clothing. We reserve the right to deny entry to anyone dressed inappropriately.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:WHAT TO WEAR:
Our dress code is HIP & TRENDY as if you are going to a concert or night out with friends! The event is standing-room-only so please plan accordingly.
PLEASE DO NOT WEAR shorts, large logos, flip flops, tank tops, crop tops, baseball hats, solid white or red clothing. We reserve the right to deny entry to anyone dressed inappropriately.

Yeah, I read the original article in full. I'm aware of their dress code, dude. I realize they can be pretentious sometimes, but if they want to throw a party with a dress code, people who want to go can either abide by it or don't go.

ETA: In case I'm somehow not being entirely clear somehow it's a different story if it's a concert that people paid money for. (And if that's the case here too, then I withdraw my defense.)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'm reading Meet Me in the Bathroom right now, and they describe how when the Strokes filmed their $2 Bill show on MTV how they only put girls near the stage. Kinda reminds me of this, but not nearly as douchey. I've been half regretting my recent purchase of tix to see AF in the fall based on the set lists I've seen, and my general dislike for anything of their's after Neon Bible. This email is icing on the cake.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"What if the Decemberists had 0% self-awareness and 100% conviction in their coolness?"
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm not a guy who constantly whines about cell phones at a concert because you know what, whining to me about cell phones is more distracting than a guy using his cell phone to record a song. However, I did just have my first show where the artist demanded no cell phones and it was nice.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm sure there's logic and positives. Same with "no white or red because it'll fuck with our cameras". Or "no hats because it'll look dumb from the back". Any of those singular things. But all of them AND stuff like "no flip-flops" from the history of requesting formal dress AND its them ...
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:I'm sure there's logic and positives. Same with "no white or red because it'll fuck with our cameras". Or "no hats because it'll look dumb from the back". Any of those singular things. But all of them AND stuff like "no flip-flops" from the history of requesting formal dress AND its them ...

This is the key.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote:I'm reading Meet Me in the Bathroom right now, and they describe how when the Strokes filmed their $2 Bill show on MTV how they only put girls near the stage. Kinda reminds me of this, but not nearly as douchey. I've been half regretting my recent purchase of tix to see AF in the fall based on the set lists I've seen, and my general dislike for anything of their's after Neon Bible. This email is icing on the cake.

Many moons ago, I worked on "Farmclub.com", where the duties of one staffer included hiring attractive young women to be in the front row of the audience at tapings and subsequently ensuring that those women, as well as other women recruited to be in the audience, made up most of the front row throughout the taping.

Clip here, go to 1:30 for an example (I can't believe this shit is on YouTube).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4EuTvsu0U8
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Man, Bloodhound Gang were fucking terrible.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

There's a dude at the bar here coked to the absolute gills who looks exactly like Win Butler arguing against daylight savings time and I thought of you guys. (That's all 100 percent true.)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote:There's a dude at the bar here coked to the absolute gills who looks exactly like Win Butler arguing against daylight savings time and I thought of you guys. (That's all 100 percent true.)

Sounds about right.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

For my wife's birthday, I'm going with 6 women to see James Taylor and Bonnie Raitt at Fenway tomorrow night. I can't even begin to describe the extent as to which I do not want to do this.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:For my wife's birthday, I'm going with 6 women to see James Taylor and Bonnie Raitt at Fenway tomorrow night. I can't even begin to describe the extent as to which I do not want to do this.

Fenway is definitely a dump. Don't blame you.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Bro, you're totally gonna have a sevensome.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Jerloma wrote:For my wife's birthday, I'm going with 6 women to see James Taylor and Bonnie Raitt at Fenway tomorrow night. I can't even begin to describe the extent as to which I do not want to do this.

That's kinda shitty of you on her birthday. Did you at least leave her dinner in the microwave? Fuckin' savage.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Saw Beck last night, at an smallish (~5000) outdoor venue, on an absolutely perfect evening. And wow....what a great show. I kept saying "Every song is a hit!". And I know this is blasphemous..but he made me think of Prince in a way....just how he's able to skip around genres so easily. And I was pretty surprised how good of a showman he is. Lots of fun banter, funky dancing, etc. Great show.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Saw Beck last night, at an smallish (~5000) outdoor venue, on an absolutely perfect evening. And wow....what a great show. I kept saying "Every song is a hit!". And I know this is blasphemous..but he made me think of Prince in a way....just how he's able to skip around genres so easily. And I was pretty surprised how good of a showman he is. Lots of fun banter, funky dancing, etc. Great show.

Forgot to mention Beck's opener....stand-up comedian Alex Edelmen. Second time I've seen a comic as an opener (Sturgill Simpson had one the first time I saw him).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Psyched that The National is coming to Las Vegas for the first time ever, less psyched that cheapest tickets will be $70 after fees.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Saw that they were headed out there. I'm missing Vegas, but I doubt I could make it to the show.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote:Saw that they were headed out there. I'm missing Vegas, but I doubt I could make it to the show.

It's a pretty badass weekend to come out -- same weekend as the AFC/NFC title games. Just sayin'.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote:Psyched that The National is coming to Las Vegas for the first time ever, less psyched that cheapest tickets will be $70 after fees.

$58 per for Boston in a 3,500 seat venue. Pretty fired up.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:Saw that they were headed out there. I'm missing Vegas, but I doubt I could make it to the show.

It's a pretty badass weekend to come out -- same weekend as the AFC/NFC title games. Just sayin'.

Unfortunately, my travel budget is capped through next summer. One of the trips is to Austin in four weeks to see The War on Drugs though.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The GF and I hit Bumbershoot on Sunday. This festival has really changed over the last few years (they were taken over by Live Nation, rather then being run by a local company)...they now have 2 less stages, and the music is more geared towards a younger crowd (more hip-hop, more pop) then it used to be.

Anyways, here's the rundown of bands we saw:

-The Dip: Local R&B group. Sounded like Fitz and the Tantrums. Solid.
-The New Respects: African-American family group (Twin sisters, older brother, cousin) that played rock, including a great version of
"Come Together".
-White Reaper: Garage/Punk band
-Léon: Swedish pop singer. Pretty good, if that's your kid of thing.
-Smokey Brights: Another local band. Very good.
-Spoon: First time seeing them, and they did not disappoint. Really good.
-Odesza: Local electronica/rave band. Very popular. Lots of kids in the full on rave costumes (lots of glitter paint). Bit too much for this guy.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Final lineup for Hardly Strictly Bluegrass is as good as usual. Wish there was any way I could make it up there for that.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Lucero was in rare form tonight. Second-drunkest I've ever seen Ben Nichols and he was on point.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Band that just opened for Modest Mouse can most adequately be described as "The Bangles meets Godspeed You Black Emperor."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Arcade Fire were fantastic last night. My expectations were so low, because I don't really care for anything they've done since Suburbs. Win is a tall dude.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Saw Sturgill Simpson last night, outdoors at Marymoor park. Yes, September 30th was pushing the "outdoor concert" envelope a bit, since it was chilly and semi-rainy most of the night.

Sturgill was great, as usual (this was the 3rd time we'd seen him), but he didn't have the Estonian guitar player, Laur Joamets, playing with him. (He's also lost the horn section from the last tour). So Sturgill was having to sing and play lead guitar, and while he's pretty darn good at it, the sound was definitely missing something without the second guitar.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

War on Drugs were as expected last night at Stubb's in Austin. As in, they were fucking great, even if they're the most jam bandy of any music that I listen to. From our vantage point it was a bit hard to see, but the sound was terrific. Having a joint passed my way didn't hurt things either. Not sure there's a band and concert where I'd rather have that happen.
Last edited by govmentchedda on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Saw Depeche Mode at T-Mobile last night so a lot of us were getting our music on.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote:War on Drugs were as expected last night at Stubb's in Austin. As in, they were fucking great, even if they're the most jam bandy of any music that I listen to. From our vantage point it was a bit hard to see, but the sound was terrific. Having a joint passed my way didn't hurt things either. Not sure there's a band and concert where I'd rather have that happen.

Dammit, that's why you were in Austin?!?!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:War on Drugs were as expected last night at Stubb's in Austin. As in, they were fucking great, even if they're the most jam bandy of any music that I listen to. From our vantage point it was a bit hard to see, but the sound was terrific. Having a joint passed my way didn't hurt things either. Not sure there's a band and concert where I'd rather have that happen.

Dammit, that's why you were in Austin?!?!

That, and seeing an old friend and her family.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Saw Sturgill Simpson last night, outdoors at Marymoor park. Yes, September 30th was pushing the "outdoor concert" envelope a bit, since it was chilly and semi-rainy most of the night.

Sturgill was great, as usual (this was the 3rd time we'd seen him), but he didn't have the Estonian guitar player, Laur Joamets, playing with him. (He's also lost the horn section from the last tour). So Sturgill was having to sing and play lead guitar, and while he's pretty darn good at it, the sound was definitely missing something without the second guitar.

Did they setup a stage out there? Where in the park is there room for him? Marymoor park was the home field for the middle school lacrosse team I coached. It is a pretty amazing Parks and Rec setup (not many places I can think of that have a velodrome, climbing wall, RC airplane, and dog park).
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Going to see GNR at MSG tonight (on someone else's dime).

Between my preconceived notions about the current quality of the band, the train, the rain, the late night and potential hangover, I'm not as excited as seventh grade me would have been.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

It'll be tremendous people-watching.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Go to Haymaker before the show and then stay at Haymaker instead of going to the show?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I bet it will still be a fun show.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:Go to Haymaker before the show and then stay at Haymaker instead of going to the show?

If I beat the rest of my (limo taking) friends into the city I'll make the first half of that happen.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And you other guys are right.

I've just become such a homebody and had to really face that this afternoon.