The Live Music thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:Not sure how I missed this, but Old 97s and Ha Ha Tonka are playing a 500 person club in Las Vegas on Sunday. So I scooped up tickets to that.
How was it?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote:
brian wrote:Not sure how I missed this, but Old 97s and Ha Ha Tonka are playing a 500 person club in Las Vegas on Sunday. So I scooped up tickets to that.
How was it?
I had to skip unfortunately. I was completely wiped out after my Saturday and knew I was going out on Monday for the basketball game.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Next week will be a good one for me as Coachella bands start to roll in and out of southern California/southern Nevada. Sigur Ros in Pomona, CA on Monday and Bon Iver in Las Vegas on Thursday. Depending how wiped I am, might also try to catch Head And The Heart at Brooklyn Bowl LV on Tuesday.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Radiohead tomorrow night. Been checking out the set lists from the shows so far (Miami, Atlanta, New Orleans, KC) and very psyched that they seem to be pulling out songs that they haven't played live in years, like "Where I End and You Begin" and "Morning Bell".

Wish I didn't have this stupid cold that I've been fighting for a week.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Radiohead was FANTASTIC Saturday night. Felt much more "rock show" (as opposed to "Electronic") compared to the other 2 times I've seen them. Thom Yorke played guitar a bunch, instead of being at a keyboard/piano. And the new songs, especially Daydreaming and Burn The Witch, were great live.

Highlights: Bodysnatchers, Morning Bell, Pyramid Song. And Fake Plastic Trees as the 3rd Encore/Closer.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Thom Yorke is totally going to look like a lazy-eyed Willie Nelson in 30 years.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

20 years ago Thom Yorke didn't look like he had 30 years left.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

They played "Creep" and "Glass Eyes" (for the first time in North America) in Portland last night.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

20 minutes until Sigur Rós! I saw them only in October but I'm still giddy. And I'm high this time. I actually wish I had some acid but pot will have to do.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

My first DBT show tonight!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Radiohead had never played Creep in North America? Why is that a thing?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Jerloma wrote:Radiohead had never played Creep in North America? Why is that a thing?
I think he was saying that about glass eyes. Pretty certain they played Creep when they opened for REM on the Monster tour when I saw them in Indy.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Jerloma wrote:Radiohead had never played Creep in North America? Why is that a thing?
It was "Glass Eyes" that they'd only previously played in Europe.

Breaking out "Creep" is a relatively rare occurrence. Nice to see that they are digging deep into the back catalog on this tour.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Apropos of nothing, when I clicked on this thread, this was the top post on my screen. I'm listening to Creep in my headphones right now.

Isn't it ironic?
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I've seen at least 1,000 concerts and I can say pretty confidently that I don't think there's a better meshing of band and set-closing song than Sigur Ros and "Untitled 8/Popplagio"

After the build-up for the first 6 or 7 minutes, for the last 8 minutes between the band and the set effects/lighting it feels like the soundtrack to the end of the world.

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Shirley wrote:
Apropos of nothing, when I clicked on this thread, this was the top post on my screen. I'm listening to Creep in my headphones right now.

Isn't it ironic?
It's like rain on your wedding day.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Sabo wrote:
Shirley wrote:

Isn't it ironic?
It's like rain on your wedding day.
Or a death row pardon, two minutes too late.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

brian wrote:I've seen at least 1,000 concerts and I can say pretty confidently that I don't think there's a better meshing of band and set-closing song than Sigur Ros and "Untitled 8/Popplagio"

After the build-up for the first 6 or 7 minutes, for the last 8 minutes between the band and the set effects/lighting it feels like the soundtrack to the end of the world.

"That's what an amazing orgasm is like" said my date.

And that reminds me that I'm going to see Caspian tonight, which is pretty much the only other band that twists me up like Sigur Ros does live.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Wish this tour was hitting a few more cities (and anywhere west of Dallas).

If I still lived in Detroit I'd be all over that Detroit lineup.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I kinda feel like Justin Vernon just picked my pocket. $50 for a 70 minute set (including encores). WTF?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The litest kid at Coachella is...

https://youtu.be/Z-vNoKeRMvI
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Been waiting to see if Spoon is going to come to Seattle on their current tour. Finally got the alert (thanks to BandsInTown...a very cool app that monitors the music you have in your library and gives you alerts when bands announce shows) that they are coming to town. Yay!

But they are playing at Bumbershoot...boo. Bumbershoot used to be great, but has gone downhill since LiveNation took it over a couple of years ago.

Speaking of which...for the this years Bumbershoot, the 3 "Headliners" are Lorde, Odesza, and Flume. Who the fuck are Flume? Also on the bill, besides Spoon, are The Roots, Weezer, Solange, Conor Oberst, and others.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Been waiting to see if Spoon is going to come to Seattle on their current tour. Finally got the alert (thanks to BandsInTown...a very cool app that monitors the music you have in your library and gives you alerts when bands announce shows) that they are coming to town. Yay!

But they are playing at Bumbershoot...boo. Bumbershoot used to be great, but has gone downhill since LiveNation took it over a couple of years ago.

Speaking of which...for the this years Bumbershoot, the 3 "Headliners" are Lorde, Odesza, and Flume. Who the fuck are Flume? Also on the bill, besides Spoon, are The Roots, Weezer, Solange, Conor Oberst, and others.
Spoon are playing here next week at a smallish venue in Ybor City. I'd love to see Lorde and Solange. Actually, Lorde is kind of repetitive live. Saw her at Boston Calling 3 or 4 years ago.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:Been waiting to see if Spoon is going to come to Seattle on their current tour. Finally got the alert (thanks to BandsInTown...a very cool app that monitors the music you have in your library and gives you alerts when bands announce shows) that they are coming to town. Yay!

Spoon are playing here next week at a smallish venue in Ybor City. I'd love to see Lorde and Solange. Actually, Lorde is kind of repetitive live. Saw her at Boston Calling 3 or 4 years ago.
Back in the early to mid 90s I saw a bunch of alt rock bands down in Ybor. If not at the Ritz, then at one of the bars that'd have bands play outside in gated off area by 7th, and then there was also a bar I think across the street that had shows too. I think I saw both the Lemonheads and Jesus & Mary Chain there. Unless maybe that was the Ritz (but wasn't the theater). Damn man. I used to party hard. Memory's not as sharp as it once was...
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Spoon is playing the Ritz. Seen some great shows there. Navigating your way to the bathroom and back during a concert is a horrific pain in the ass, but it's not a terrible venue. Fucking Oiler saw Smashing Pumpkins there right before Siamese Dream exploded. Not sure I'll ever forgive him for that.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote:Spoon is playing the Ritz. Seen some great shows there. Navigating your way to the bathroom and back during a concert is a horrific pain in the ass, but it's not a terrible venue. Fucking Oiler saw Smashing Pumpkins there right before Siamese Dream exploded. Not sure I'll ever forgive him for that.
Saw Smashing Pumpkins in a 200-person bar in Kalamazoo before Gish and only because the record store clerk at the local Camelot who I had a crush on was friends with D'Arcy* from high school and had turned me on to their EP before Gish (she's from South Haven, MI).

Kinda funny because while I think it's gotta be tough to be an A&R guy, when you see certain bands live you sometimes can't help think to yourself "this band should be huge".

I've seen dozens of bands as openers that I've never heard of before over the years where I immediately knew the band had "it". Some recent examples would be War On Drugs and Frightened Rabbit (going back a decade on those, but you get the idea).
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Those are great bands to catch as openers.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

hypothetically speaking, how does one get out from a 150-person party he's organizing on a day like Friday to go see Jason Isbell, who is playing 10 minutes away?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Brontoburglar wrote:hypothetically speaking, how does one get out from a 150-person party he's organizing on a day like Friday to go see Jason Isbell, who is playing 10 minutes away?
He bucks up and goes to his party and ends his internet friend the tickets.

Otherwise...stomach issues?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote:hypothetically speaking, how does one get out from a 150-person party he's organizing on a day like Friday to go see Jason Isbell, who is playing 10 minutes away?
Sounds like there is a story your internet friends would like to read.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pretty easy, just buy 150 tickets to the concert.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Hey guys, I have tickets to Jason Isbell. See ya.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Oops.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Son Volt tonight in San Francisco!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote:Son Volt tonight in San Francisco!
They were awesome here in March.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

sancarlos wrote:
Sounds like there is a story your internet friends would like to read.
oh, it's a real doozy!

no... basically I played only isbell at the party because I was in mourning and people told me the music was too sad. I had to restrain myself from telling them they were wrong.

(He's apparently playing a new single at his concerts called If We Were Vampires and my buddy said it's the saddest JI song he's heard, which is something.)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Saw Aimee Mann (obligatory Portlandia joke: "Aimee Mann...both of your names are spelled incorrectly!") last night. Great show. What a talent...great songs, and a beautiful voice. And incredibly skinny.

Opener was a guy named Jonathon Coulton, who seemed to have his own cult following. Very funny guy, and great tunes about funny things, like a song about IKEA, where the chorus was "Ikea: just some oak and some pine and a handful of Norsemen
Ikea: selling furniture for college kids and divorced men". Very cool set, and he joined Mann for a bunch of her songs (I guess he co-wrote a bunch of songs on her fantastic new album "Mental Illness").
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Saw Aimee Mann (obligatory Portlandia joke: "Aimee Mann...both of your names are spelled incorrectly!") last night. Great show. What a talent...great songs, and a beautiful voice. And incredibly skinny.

Opener was a guy named Jonathon Coulton, who seemed to have his own cult following. Very funny guy, and great tunes about funny things, like a song about IKEA, where the chorus was "Ikea: just some oak and some pine and a handful of Norsemen
Ikea: selling furniture for college kids and divorced men". Very cool set, and he joined Mann for a bunch of her songs (I guess he co-wrote a bunch of songs on her fantastic new album "Mental Illness").
I adore Jonathon Coulton. "Ikea" is a great tune, as is "Code Monkey". He also wrote much of the music for the Portal series of video games, including "Still Alive".
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Mann is great. She's pretty funny on twitter too, mainly busting Jon Wurster's balls.

Potential unpopular opinion: I loved Magnolia.