Sheboygan, WI!

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Which option best describes your relationship with Sheboygan?

I have been to Sheboygan, WI, and I have used it as a non-specific placeholder
No votes
I have been to Sheboygan, WI, and I have never used it as a non-specific placeholder
17%
I have never been to Sheboygan, WI, and I have used it as a non-specific placeholder
22%
I have never been to Sheboygan, WI, and I have never used it as a non-specific placeholder
61%

Total votes: 23

rass
The Dude

Sheboygan, WI!

Post by rass »

I'm not sure how Sheboygan, WI became a stand-in for anywhere anytime you need a city name but also need to be anything but specific. Even auto-correct disrespects Sheboygan ("shebang"???)

Nestled on the Western shore of Lake Michigan, at the mouth of the Sheboygan River (it puts the "super" and the "fun" in "Superfund Site"), Sheboygan is more than a punchline. It's the self-declared "brat capital of the world". It's four syllables, not just three. Don't believe me? Take it from one of Sheboygan's most famous native sons:
Rick Majerus wrote:...
OK. That wasn't cool. Sorry.

So what is your experience with Sheboygan?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Re: Sheboygan, WI!

Post by Ryan »

I also considered:

Dubuque
Rancho Cucamonga
Walla Walla
East Overshoe (h/t all grampas)
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shit. I had a Walla Walla joke in my first draft, but chopped it.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

There's people who haven't been there? I want to hear THEIR story first.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I will be there in August. First time!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Kohler's completely fascinating, in a Truman Show kind of way.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Favorite random Midwestern cities to use as stand-ins, ranked below. Note: I have not been to any of them.

1. Sault St. Marie
2. Battle Creek
3. Bowling Green
4. Youngstown
5. Decatur
6. Joliet
7. Oshkosh
8. Fond du Lac
9. Kenosha
10. Eau Claire

Also, not Midwest, but I really like saying "King of Prussia, Pennsylvania."

e: misspelled Eau Claire.
Last edited by Johnny Carwash on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I just use Bumfuck
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Flin Flon!

I almost started a thread about Flin Flon a couple of months ago. And if I ever held out any hope of following thru with it, you've squashed them. The Swamp just isn't big enough to carry separate threads for Sheboygan and Flin Flon. You win this one, rass.

Anyway, I read a great, great article buy Guy Lawson in Harper's many years ago about Flin Flon's obsession with its junior hockey team. The second paragraph of the article always stuck with me.
Described by Canada: The Rough Guide as an “ugly blotch on a barren rocky landscape,” Flin Flon, population 7,500, straddles the border between Manitoba and Saskatchewan, 90 miles north of its nearest neighbor, The Pas, 500 miles up from Winnipeg, and a thirteen-hour drive due north of Minot, North Dakota. In this part of the world, Flin Flon is literally the end of the line: the two-lane highway that connects it to the rest of North America circles the perimeter of town and then, as if shocked to its senses, rejoins itself and hightails it back south.
When Google Maps/Google Earth became a thing years later, I looked it up, and sure enough, there was the reconnecting highway.

Flash forward to February, when MaxWebster sent me an email and made a passing reference to a hockey player from the 1970s I was only vaguely aware of. (Yes, MaxWebster emails are exactly as you imagine them to be.) I looked the guy up, saw that he had played for the Flin Flon Bombers, then looked up Flin Flon on Google Maps again. And the reconnecting highway wasn't there! There are highways reaching farther north now. Has urban sprawl infected Flin Flon? I felt like a little piece of myself had been taken away.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I have to win this one - I've been to Sheboygan dozens of times.

Decades ago, my family had a restaurant in a summer vacation community in Door County, Wisconsin. So we commuted back and forth from the Chicago suburbs. Sheboygan was one of our regular stops.

It was nice and all, but it was no Manitowoc.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

As far as placeholders/punchlines go, pretty much any town that has a team in the Western Hockey League works for me. When I was a kid, I was a hockey fan, but I didn't know anything about juniors. I would only see those teams listed in game-day programs. There was something dreamy and exotic about those names: Kamloops, Moose Jaw, Swift Current, Red Deer, Saskatoon, Regina, etc.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's no Cheboygan (MI). But what is?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

bapo! wrote:As far as placeholders/punchlines go, pretty much any town that has a team in the Western Hockey League works for me. When I was a kid, I was a hockey fan, but I didn't know anything about juniors. I would only see those teams listed in game-day programs. There was something dreamy and exotic about those names: Kamloops, Moose Jaw, Swift Current, Red Deer, Saskatoon, Regina, etc.
I can't remember the guy's name, or how famous he is outside of New England, but there was a guy who did a lot of color commentary for college hockey around here and for some NCAA tourney stuff on ESPN. I think he also called the mite/squirt shootouts during intermission of some old Bruins games on WSBK. Anyway, the guy could not go 5 seconds without saying where someone played juniors.

"Great puck movement from McDougle there, from the Kamloops Blazers"

Every. time. Anyway #2, my far-and-away favorite was when anyone played for the Chilliwack Chiefs. Symphonic.

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Found him

Bob Norton

bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Ryan wrote:
bapo! wrote:As far as placeholders/punchlines go, pretty much any town that has a team in the Western Hockey League works for me. When I was a kid, I was a hockey fan, but I didn't know anything about juniors. I would only see those teams listed in game-day programs. There was something dreamy and exotic about those names: Kamloops, Moose Jaw, Swift Current, Red Deer, Saskatoon, Regina, etc.
I can't remember the guy's name, or how famous he is outside of New England, but there was a guy who did a lot of color commentary for college hockey around here and for some NCAA tourney stuff on ESPN. I think he also called the mite/squirt shootouts during intermission of some old Bruins games on WSBK. Anyway, the guy could not go 5 seconds without saying where someone played juniors.

"Great puck movement from McDougle there, from the Kamloops Blazers"

Every. time.
Pierre McGuire does this a lot. Other people get annoyed when he mentions that so-and-so played for the Kitchener Rangers. But I'm all, 'I know! I saw him play on a cold snowy night in Erie in 2009!'

(I also have a higher tolerance for the talking heads that everybody else finds insufferable. Viva Joe Buck!)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

AB_skin_test wrote:I just use Bumfuck
ditto
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Typical that Tarzana, CA gets a mention in Flin Flon's Wikipedia entry and that the mention isn't reciprocated in Tarzana's.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Another city I occasionally use as a placeholder is Peoria.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Johnny Carwash wrote:I really like saying "King of Prussia, Pennsylvania."
Several Swamps ago, I posted a photo of myself standing/basking in front of the Thomas Kincaid store in the King of Prussia mall.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

been to Sheboygan and King of Prussia on work trips. Also to Bumfuck.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

bapo! wrote:Flin Flon!

I almost started a thread about Flin Flon a couple of months ago. And if I ever held out any hope of following thru with it, you've squashed them. The Swamp just isn't big enough to carry separate threads for Sheboygan and Flin Flon. You win this one, rass.

Anyway, I read a great, great article buy Guy Lawson in Harper's many years ago about Flin Flon's obsession with its junior hockey team. The second paragraph of the article always stuck with me.
Described by Canada: The Rough Guide as an “ugly blotch on a barren rocky landscape,” Flin Flon, population 7,500, straddles the border between Manitoba and Saskatchewan, 90 miles north of its nearest neighbor, The Pas, 500 miles up from Winnipeg, and a thirteen-hour drive due north of Minot, North Dakota. In this part of the world, Flin Flon is literally the end of the line: the two-lane highway that connects it to the rest of North America circles the perimeter of town and then, as if shocked to its senses, rejoins itself and hightails it back south.
When Google Maps/Google Earth became a thing years later, I looked it up, and sure enough, there was the reconnecting highway.

Flash forward to February, when MaxWebster sent me an email and made a passing reference to a hockey player from the 1970s I was only vaguely aware of. (Yes, MaxWebster emails are exactly as you imagine them to be.) I looked the guy up, saw that he had played for the Flin Flon Bombers, then looked up Flin Flon on Google Maps again. And the reconnecting highway wasn't there! There are highways reaching farther north now. Has urban sprawl infected Flin Flon? I felt like a little piece of myself had been taken away.
I flew into Flin Flon on an outpost fishing trip about 10 years ago. We took a Piper plane up from Winnipeg and I was hungover as balls. Vomitted as soon as we hit the runway in Flin Flon. So after that we hop in a van and drive 20 minutes to...

Get on a Norseman

...with some Canadian hilljack pilot. All taxied out to the edge of the lake with all our equipment loaded, the hilljack cranks up the engine and uses a hand crank to adjust the flaps. We start out, and 18yo BSF is thrilled because this is his first time on a float plane, a mix of 90% excitement and 10% sheer terror as my life is now in Canadian Tuxedo Hillsjack Man's hands. The hilljack then kills the engine after about 5 seconds. WTF right? After the noise dials down he shouts back at us on the bench seating in the back...

"Shit guys, forgot to put gas in the plane. That could have been bad."

...and we taxi back to the dock.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Great story, BSF, made even better by the use of the word 'hilljack.' I didn't think that I would ever meet (or Internet-meet) anybody who had been to Flin Flon. This almost feels like a brush with fame.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote:It's no Cheboygan (MI). But what is?

That was bugging me, I thought I remembered there being a MI iteration.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Rex wrote:been to Sheboygan and King of Prussia on work trips. Also to Bumfuck.
I was in King of Prussia on TH/FRI, taking the boy on college visits. That mall isn't a mall, it's a collection of malls.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My brother gave me this cap for Christmas a few years ago. I need to start wearing it again...

Last edited by sancarlos on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AB_skin_test wrote:I just use Bumfuck
It's East Bumblefuck. No state included, but I've always pictured it being in PA. Peduca is good one.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I gotta think Peoria is the national leader, with the expression "will it play in Peoria?"

Personally, I use Buttfuck, Nowhere, or something similar to that. I guess I'm classy that way.
Totally Kafkaesque
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

rass wrote:Shit. I had a Walla Walla joke in my first draft, but chopped it.
boooo
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

My go to is East Armpit NJ thanks to a teacher I had in middle school.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Now, I'm stuck in a Wikipedia wormhole (and I want to read The Sunless City.) Thanks guys!
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I have been to Intercourse, Pennsylvania, Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan and have been within a couple of miles of Dildo, Newfoundland.

I have also been to Prince Albert, Saskatchewan but fortunately this was back in the 70s when the name didn't have two meanings.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruitt wrote:I have also been to Prince Albert, Saskatchewan but fortunately this was back in the 70s when the name didn't have two meanings.
Hey you trendy Canadians! How about a little warning for your sheltered (yet curious) mid-Atlantic buddies the next time you lay out a trap like that?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Surely to god you didn't search that....
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

AB_skin_test wrote:Surely to god you didn't search that....
Yeah. Luckily I started with "dildo" and was more than ready for the "prince albert" when it popped up.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Poughkeepsie is the go-to on NYC based sitcoms for "I traveled out of NYC but not too far away".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote:
Yeah. Luckily I started with "dildo" and was more than ready for the "prince albert" when it popped up.
I almost vomited when someone told me about the double meaning. And I would NEVER have searched it.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:
I thought that was a commonly known term. It seemed to be in vogue when I was in HS and college. No idea what would lead someone to do that.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote:I have been to Intercourse, Pennsylvania, Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan and have been within a couple of miles of Dildo, Newfoundland.

I have also been to Prince Albert, Saskatchewan but fortunately this was back in the 70s when the name didn't have two meanings.
I went to high school about 10 miles from Climax, MI.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

When I was 9 years old, one of the baseball teams in my league was sponsored by Climax Uranium. Yep, that's my hometown.

ETA: interesting link
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

I know I've been to Flin Flon, but I think I was 3 or 4, so don't remember anything other than playing hot wheels on that mat with streets on it. Also you can't drive to Flin Flon without going through The Pas. I'm a sucker for places with "The" as part of their name.

We have family in Indian Head, SK, so I've been there many times.

My go-to anytown is usually one put on the map for building a monorail: