Cord cutting?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Sabo
The Dude

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by Sabo »

Rex wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:58 pm I guess it's also Dish's fault that they can't do a deal with Sinclair, and SlingTV and Fubo's fault that they can't do a deal with Sinclair, and it will be Comcast's fault when they can't do a deal with Sinclair later this year.
SlingTV is owned by Dish, which might explain why they don't have a deal. Don't know who owns Fubo.

Anyway, fuck Sinclair.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

YouTube TV, Sinclair reach deal to keep 19 of 21 Fox regional networks on platform

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/nati ... KPpH8m7hh8
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, that's quite a hike for YTTV. I love the service, but man. I wouldn't pay $15 for the channels they're adding, that's for sure.
Totally Kafkaesque
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I enjoyed yttv when my brother in law had it. Im used to no TV now but $65/month seems fair
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I pay 70 for att tv with hbo. So I think we are getting close to commodity pricing maybe.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:19 pm I'm weird I guess because I have no desire to ever cut the cord. TV interface is still better, live sports are actually close to live and not 45-60 seconds delayed and it's going to soon get to the point where cable/satellite will be just as cost-effective as bundling a bunch of streaming services.
told y'all
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:15 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:19 pm I'm weird I guess because I have no desire to ever cut the cord. TV interface is still better, live sports are actually close to live and not 45-60 seconds delayed and it's going to soon get to the point where cable/satellite will be just as cost-effective as bundling a bunch of streaming services.
told y'all
Well I'm still saving 100 over what I was paying for Directv, so it's not close to there for me yet. And I don't think you can count bundling Netflix/Disney etc in the cost because it's not apples to apples. I had Netflix when I had Directv and would likely have added Disney as well. Their offerings aren't available on just a cable/satellite service.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:12 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:15 pm
told y'all
Well I'm still saving 100 over what I was paying for Directv, so it's not close to there for me yet. And I don't think you can count bundling Netflix/Disney etc in the cost because it's not apples to apples. I had Netflix when I had Directv and would likely have added Disney as well. Their offerings aren't available on just a cable/satellite service.
oh, I don't think it's at that point yet -- but it's getting there. someone who had google fiber internet and TV in Kansas City is now saving only like $20 a month to have google fiber internet and yttv. google also recently stopped installing its fiber tv service and is telling everyone to get yttv
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Don't get me wrong. If the price were exactly the same and I was asked to choose between the DirecTv service I had forever or the YTTV I got last year, I'd choose YTTV in a heartbeat. The service is so much better. It's automatic, infinite cloud storage is a game-changer. And the ability to watch it anywhere is a huge advantage to me, so I can watch the same stuff at the beach, or (in the old world) at work or while traveling. The user interface and the search/recording features are SO MUCH better than DirecTv.

I couldn't care less about live sports being a few seconds behind because my job doesn't involve live Tweeting about such things. In fact, I'd much prefer watching sports a bit delayed so I can skip commercials.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That last part is a deal breaker for me. I tend to be either texting friends or live following on twitter during sports so even a 30 second delay is awful.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

It's not "Your vaccine is ready" but it's close:

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

So I have Rokus but we’re a week away from the start of the PL which is going to have the non-network games on Peacock so I feel like I’m regressing you the days when the PL was on Fox Sports and I missed most matches.

I don’t think I want to reattach the cord with Comcast, so what’s a good option for a streaming device? (Fire stock also doesn’t have peacock yet.)
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

In years past, I've felt no need to get the games that were on NBC Sports Gold, or whatever it was called before Peacock. Unless you are a completist, or a big Brighton fan, I'm not sure you need it. I assume that they're keeping the same ratios for what is shown where.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:24 am In years past, I've felt no need to get the games that were on NBC Sports Gold, or whatever it was called before Peacock. Unless you are a completist, or a big Brighton fan, I'm not sure you need it. I assume that they're keeping the same ratios for what is shown where.
you're an mufc supporter so it might be a little different for you.

me: newcastle
wife: everton

while nufc are on nbcsn next weekend against west ham, they probably won't be on frequently during the season unless they are playing one of the big six. everton's game next week got bumped to peacock and that has made mrs. cerrano none-too-happy. everton is usually on nbcsn more than nufc, who are on more than brighton, i confess, but in the past i have ponied up the $50 for sports gold.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

cerrano wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:10 am
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:24 am In years past, I've felt no need to get the games that were on NBC Sports Gold, or whatever it was called before Peacock. Unless you are a completist, or a big Brighton fan, I'm not sure you need it. I assume that they're keeping the same ratios for what is shown where.

while nufc are on nbcsn next weekend against west ham, they probably won't be on frequently during the season unless they are playing one of the big six. everton's game next week got bumped to peacock and that has made mrs. cerrano none-too-happy. everton is usually on nbcsn more than nufc, who are on more than brighton, i confess, but in the past i have ponied up the $50 for sports gold.
Yeah, I should've added that caveat. There were a few Man U games last year that I couldn't watch live, but not enough to make me want to pay. I've definitely got a soft spot for Fulham, so maybe I'll get Peacock. Your wife must be over the moon about this James signing.

I've seen three amazing goals in person in my life, and him vs. USMNT in 2018 is one of them.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:21 am

Yeah, I should've added that caveat. There were a few Man U games last year that I couldn't watch live, but not enough to make me want to pay. I've definitely got a soft spot for Fulham, so maybe I'll get Peacock. Your wife must be over the moon about this James signing.

I've seen three amazing goals in person in my life, and him vs. USMNT in 2018 is one of them.

Apparently 8! of this weekend's games are on Peacock!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:43 am
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:21 am

Apparently 8! of this weekend's games are on Peacock!
ETA - did a little digging, and it's only 5. Still, it's fucking bullshit. No wake and watch, unless you have Peacock, or wake around noon.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

I saw that, hope it's not a sign of things to come
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Apparently it's like 160 of 380 games that will be on Peacock only. I get the way they did it last year (multiple games in the time slot = the lesser game is streaming only), but this is bullshit.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, I was caught off guard yesterday when I realized the Chelsea game wasn't available on my YouTube TV. Not really a cord-cutting issue though, because I assume it would be the same with cable or satellite.

That said, illegal streams are easy to find on a computer, but I don't like doing that.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shirley wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:09 am Yeah, I was caught off guard yesterday when I realized the Chelsea game wasn't available on my YouTube TV. Not really a cord-cutting issue though, because I assume it would be the same with cable or satellite.

That said, illegal streams are easy to find on a computer, but I don't like doing that.
This year it's the same with cable or satellite, but last year they didn't program any game times to be app only.

So, for example, Saturday is
7:30 EVE/WBA Peacock
10 LEE/FUL Peacock
12:30 MNU/CRY NBCSN
3 ARS/WHU NBCSN

Last year, there wouldn't have been a 3 pm weekend game, and the early two games would have been on NBCSN or NBC, or sometimes USA

They've done something similar for Sunday (but for some dumb reason the start times are 7, 9, 11:30, and 2). Why they can't keep consistent start times is beyond me as well.

The early 2 Sunday games are Peacock exclusively, with the latter 2 games on USA, then NBCSN.

Monday they've got games at 1 and 3:15, showing on Peacock, then NBCSN, respectively.

Last year, they'd generally have a 7:30, 10, and 12:30 on Saturday, and if there were 6 games total, one would be early, one would be late, and 4 would be at 10 (the standard UK kickoff time). Of those 4, the 3 least important would be streaming only.

This weekend Everton, West Brom, Leeds, Fulham, Southampton, Tottenham, Newcastle, West Brom, Villa, and Sheffield United are all Peacock only.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Here is a really good review/rundown of Peacock's PL coverage:

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2020/08/29/ ... g-service/

It's 175 exclusive games with a minimum of 3 per team. In the NBC Sports Gold years, there really was a big difference between the Top 6 coverage and everything else. That was evident during Sunday's Spurs-Everton game when only one of the two fan bases spent the morning complaining about Peacock on Twitter. That's really the Mendoza Line of EPL television coverage, below which you are largely dependent on streaming (especially when you want to watch something other than your team getting drilled 4-0).

I don't think I will sign up until some of these features are improved, like the lack of DVR functionality. I think that's going to be problematic for the parts of the country that would prefer not to wake up before 7AM to catch a game. I also wish NBC would bundle its various sports properties in a more useful way. They have a lot of things where I'm a big enough fan to watch the obscure stuff (golf, cycling, olympic sports) but not at the price points they offer. Instead they're bundling with a bunch of TV shows and movies I'll never watch.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:17 am
Shirley wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:09 am Yeah, I was caught off guard yesterday when I realized the Chelsea game wasn't available on my YouTube TV. Not really a cord-cutting issue though, because I assume it would be the same with cable or satellite.

This year it's the same with cable or satellite, but last year they didn't program any game times to be app only.

So, for example, Saturday is
7:30 EVE/WBA Peacock
10 LEE/FUL Peacock
12:30 MNU/CRY NBCSN
3 ARS/WHU NBCSN

Last year, there wouldn't have been a 3 pm weekend game, and the early two games would have been on NBCSN or NBC, or sometimes USA

They've done something similar for Sunday (but for some dumb reason the start times are 7, 9, 11:30, and 2). Why they can't keep consistent start times is beyond me as well.

The early 2 Sunday games are Peacock exclusively, with the latter 2 games on USA, then NBCSN.

Monday they've got games at 1 and 3:15, showing on Peacock, then NBCSN, respectively.

Last year, they'd generally have a 7:30, 10, and 12:30 on Saturday, and if there were 6 games total, one would be early, one would be late, and 4 would be at 10 (the standard UK kickoff time). Of those 4, the 3 least important would be streaming only.

This weekend Everton, West Brom, Leeds, Fulham, Southampton, Tottenham, Newcastle, West Brom, Villa, and Sheffield United are all Peacock only.
I probably missed your point but aren’t they doing the weird-ass kick-off times as a result of them broadcasting all games since fans can’t be there in person?

And when I saw the list of games on peacock this week it became clear that NBC is trying to force the hand of the big 6 fan. Risky.

(In full disclosure, I bought a chromecast and kept the receipt. Felt slightly better about that after EFC and NUFC won their opening matches)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yeah,. I'm sure the UK viewer is priority #1, and I've heard some debate about what you can view over there this year, considering COVID-19. Curious what Baloney can add to the discussion.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:43 pm Yeah,. I'm sure the UK viewer is priority #1, and I've heard some debate about what you can view over there this year, considering COVID-19. Curious what Baloney can add to the discussion.
Think this weekends coverage is an outlier due to NBCSN showing the TdF live. I will wait a week or two to see what their plan is,
are they going to just substitute Peacock for the games that used to be on Gold?
are they going to dedicate a time slot that used to show a game live e.g. 7:30 am to Peacock now
Are they going to cherry pick top 6 team match ups and put them on Peacock to force people to buy

Can't believe they only make the games shown live on Peacock available on-demand after 9 pm ET, there's no chance I won't know the score by then, especially if it's an early KO.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Baloney wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:40 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:43 pm Yeah,. I'm sure the UK viewer is priority #1, and I've heard some debate about what you can view over there this year, considering COVID-19. Curious what Baloney can add to the discussion.
Think this weekends coverage is an outlier due to NBCSN showing the TdF live. I will wait a week or two to see what their plan is,
are they going to just substitute Peacock for the games that used to be on Gold?
are they going to dedicate a time slot that used to show a game live e.g. 7:30 am to Peacock now
Are they going to cherry pick top 6 team match ups and put them on Peacock to force people to buy

Can't believe they only make the games shown live on Peacock available on-demand after 9 pm ET, there's no chance I won't know the score by then, especially if it's an early KO.
That link above from Rex explains a lot. I think big 6 teams are capped at 3 games this season on Peacock. It's still fucking mindless that they're not showing any games during a timeslot where there is a game (i.e. different than how they did it last year).
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I think 3 games is the floor, not the cap. I did some number crunching and it's pretty bleak if they only move 3 games a piece for each of the Big 6. The Other 14 would probably get about 45% of games on regular TV, but maybe an average of 1-2 of those would be against the rest of the Other 14. I assume that Leeds and probably Everton will merit a big chunk of what little is available, and you have to leave some room for late season relegation contests. It looks like Gold did around 130 games with the 3-game floor for Big 6 clubs. Those extra games will make a big difference.

On another note, it looks like Peacock is also taking on some US Open coverage, though perhaps not enough to seriously disrupt people's golf watching this weekend.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

super late to the game here but any of you who subscribed to Peacock Premium ... any pros/cons to this point you can share?

I see I can get it for $40/yr today and am trying to figure whether it's worth it for me - shockingly the Villa are not complete dogshit this year (thus far) and I'm getting a little tired of finding super-sketchy streams online ;P

Are there any pros besides more EPL games?

I know 40 bucks is nothing for the year but if it's just going to be for me to have access to NBC shows that i don't watch anyways...meh.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I have it just for the matches and it seems worth it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I have it, but I hate it. The Office is coming, so that's nice. I hear the Saved by the Bell reboot isn't horrible.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

Saved by the Bell is your pro???

haha jk. (although i've never seen any episode of it). Office will be a huge draw for the fam, even if we have seen them all anyways :P

thanks guys. but chedda what do you hate about it? not enough value? shitty UI?
govmentchedda wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:51 pm I have it, but I hate it. The Office is coming, so that's nice. I hear the Saved by the Bell reboot isn't horrible.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shitty UI, that they've switched EPL programming to push it, lack of DVR, cost, etc.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

ya i've heard that about the UI.

I'm waffling - I hardly watch any TV at all, I'd really only get it for Villa games and probably help me get back into the league overall.... on the other hand, they don't seem to publish the schedule of games on it until a few days before so....:shrug:.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The other thing is that I think it's only the Peacock games, NOT those shown on NBCSN, NBC, etc. So, you kind of need both.

SbtB is right in my guilty pleasure wheelhouse. I watched most of the original as a tween. I hear they've made a pretty diverse new cast. I'll probably give it a shot with my young teens.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

MaxWebster wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:04 pm super late to the game here but any of you who subscribed to Peacock Premium ... any pros/cons to this point you can share?

I see I can get it for $40/yr today and am trying to figure whether it's worth it for me - shockingly the Villa are not complete dogshit this year (thus far) and I'm getting a little tired of finding super-sketchy streams online
Is sportsurge.net no good for futbol? (They're not showing any games for today, but that could be because the games of the day are over.)
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

it remains impossible to add a receiver to your directv account without signing a new contract
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:46 pm
MaxWebster wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:04 pm
Is sportsurge.net no good for futbol? (They're not showing any games for today, but that could be because the games of the day are over.)
No futbol on Sportsurge. streamsgate of buffstreams are were to go for the futbol.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Just saw this..

NBC Plans To Shutter NBC Sports Network By End Of Year
NBC has told distributors and some sports leagues that it plans to shut down its NBCSN sports channel by the end of the year. NBC’s most recent affiliate deals with Charter and Dish Network do not include carriage for NBCSN beyond this year, sources said. Plus, sports leagues that have deals with NBC were being told of the changes this week.

The move is in line with the current media trend of consolidating cable channels. For NBC, it also is part of a bigger strategy to grow its Peacock streaming service, while, at the same time, bolstering the programming schedule for other NBC channels like USA Network. Bigger properties, like the NHL, NASCAR and EPL, will move to USA Network while keeping some windows on the broadcast channel. Smaller properties, like car shows, dog shows and some motorsports, will have to find new linear TV outlets.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

FUCK PEACOCK. IT'S FUCKING HORRIBLE.

yet i still pay for it