Cord cutting?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by Shirley »

I will say that the Peacock app seems to stream much better than the old NBCSN one did.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That bar is ridiculously low, my friend.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

Shirley wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:56 pm I will say that the Peacock app seems to stream much better than the old NBCSN one did.
Absolutely. NBCSN app sucked on chromecast. Constant disruptions.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I will deeply miss NBCSN ... but if the major sporting events are still going to be on USA and then everything that NBC tried to sell separately online (PGA Tour Live, racing stuff, other entities) gets rolled into Peacock like the EPL did, it's a net benefit as far as I'm concerned.

That said, the video quality of Peacock is just blitzed by ESPN+. I hope they fix that.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Got a notice that ATT TV will raise prices $10. This will be double the price of when I originally signed up for it. What with summer coming, I think after the NCAA Tournament I will just drop it altogether.

Will leave me with Hulu, Netflix, Disney+ (and I will probably re-add espn+ to my bundle), DIscovery plus (we like food network and HGTV) and I may opt to add HBO Max at full price but not sure yet.

Still likely to save $60-65 per month.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

so.... fuck. I have used YonderTV for about 3 years, super cheap ($30/yr?) and gets me no blackouts for my NHL and MLB subscriptions which is all i really care about.

Suddenly 2 weeks ago none of my MLB apps worked (Roku tvs) at all - couldn't even log in. accessing mlb.com on browser or phone was ok but if i tried to stream a game it wouldn't work. Switching off the Yonder DNS changes (which brings the wifi down of course, so the whole family screams if i do it when they're around - ha) or going to cell service worked, so that's obviously the issue (and NHL worked fine - weird).

Anyways they haven't been able to figure out the problem and it's opening day and... i'm streaming something sketchy which is fine for one day but i want this to work on our TVs. Might be time to upgrade and use a real VPN, one that gives support if something goes wrong...

I guess I'm looking for VPN recommendations/help - probably nothing is going to be as cheap as yonder but i'm pretty sure many/most of you are using VPNs - anyone that has success with their VPN and MLB/NHL (both preferably - mister d?)? We have 3 tvs and just like everyone else this year about a billion other devices going all day so realistically i'd need....10+ connections?

whaddya got, Swampers?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Been happy with Express VPN, but I haven't gotten it to sort out how to work on the phone. I'm thinking that NHL.tv still recognizes my phone's location, while when logging on via computer and VPN it actually thinks I'm in Miami or Dallas, so I can get around the blackout.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

thanks chedda - that's one i'm looking at, along with privateinternet access

is it something you install/set on your home router? then/or have to set specifically on your phone i'm guessing...?

from combing reddit today, it looks like a lot of ppl are having issues - everyone with yonder but other VPNs as well and even some who don't. I'm gonna try waiting it out a week or so but i'm still looking...
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:43 pm Been happy with Express VPN, but I haven't gotten it to sort out how to work on the phone. I'm thinking that NHL.tv still recognizes my phone's location, while when logging on via computer and VPN it actually thinks I'm in Miami or Dallas, so I can get around the blackout.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

At the beginning of the hockey season, former swamper Oiler said it couldn't be done (getting around blackout restrictions b/c my RSN is in a dispute with YouTubeTV), but like I posted I've only been able to get it to work with my computer, and once I sorted that out I was happy to stop working on getting it active on my Amazon Firestick, router, phone, etc.

Also, make sure to google for a code if/when you sign up for ExpressVPN. They advertise everywhere and I'm sure something is posted that gets you a few months free or something.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

what are people actually paying per month for streaming services + internet?

reason I ask is that it *feels* like we're now at the point where it's not much of a cost savings at all if you have 400+ mbps internet and a few streaming services. there's been a lot of bitching in KC because of the sinclair regionals/tv provider standoff preventing people from watching the royals and SKC. and I get that.

but what I don't get -- why people who are paying $130 or so a month for YTTV and Google Fiber aren't just signing up for cable or something else. you can get the same cable package and very good internet for ~$120ish a month now. if watching sports is that big of a deal to people, then go get the no-contract provider that allows you to do that.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

we have Hulu + Netflix which is what, about $25/month? then on top of that MLB + NHL for the year (~$125/yr each?) and (for now) yonder which is $30/yr.

have a cheap digital antenna for one tv so we can watch the local channels, news, etc.

so super rough estimate that's $50/month total and we already have way more than we could ever watch.

(of course that's not counting the $60/month internet...)
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I pay $70/mo for YouTube TV. Is your cable tv cheaper than that? And does it include unlimited DVR? And you can watch on your phone, computer, and TV (at the same time if you want)? And you can watch it just as easily when you're traveling?
Totally Kafkaesque
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Shirley wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:51 am I pay $70/mo for YouTube TV. Is your cable tv cheaper than that? And does it include unlimited DVR? And you can watch on your phone, computer, and TV (at the same time if you want)? And you can watch it just as easily when you're traveling?
No contract for YouTube TV, either. Do any cable providers offer a no-contract offering any more?
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

It's hard to put a value on it, but the UI for YoutubeTV is also WAY better than DirecTv or any cable I've used, particularly for DVR features. It's so easy to search for a show, find it, and start recording it. And when you do, invariably you immediately get a ton of episodes you can watch right away, because it automatically finds them from recent past airings and/or vod.

The multi-location feature is also great for me since I have two homes. I never paid for TV at my beach condo, so had to try to make do with Roku and apps, but with YoutubeTV, I immediately got all of the same capabilities and recorded shows that I have at home. That has been awesome.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:21 am what are people actually paying per month for streaming services + internet?
I think I really only pay for Amazon Prime.

Netflix is included with my T-Mobile military plan because I have 2 lines. The MLB.TV app is free with a T-Mobile account also. (It's the current T-Mobile Tuesday thing this week.)

I then borrow log-ins for Hulu and Disney+.

If there's anything else I want to watch live I find a stream online and use my VPN.

I don't really watch much TV overall. I stick with podcasts and YouTube subscriptions.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I still pay $120 for DirecTV...I have HBO with that so it gets me HBO Max as well. I've always kept it for Sunday Ticket. Once that moves on I'll probably drop it.

I also pay for Netflix & the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle. Several family members use my logins. My internet is too sweet of deal to ever change...my city utility created their own GB Fiber service...I get it $49.95/month for life.

So all told I'm in it for $210/month.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shirley wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:18 am It's hard to put a value on it, but the UI for YoutubeTV is also WAY better than DirecTv or any cable I've used, particularly for DVR features. It's so easy to search for a show, find it, and start recording it. And when you do, invariably you immediately get a ton of episodes you can watch right away, because it automatically finds them from recent past airings and/or vod.

The multi-location feature is also great for me since I have two homes. I never paid for TV at my beach condo, so had to try to make do with Roku and apps, but with YoutubeTV, I immediately got all of the same capabilities and recorded shows that I have at home. That has been awesome.
The only thing that comes close to YTTV's UI was those few months that I had Verizon cable before they became Frontier. They had a similar-ish DVR set up, but even that may have just been the ability to control your home DVR from your phone, but not watch from it.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Shirley wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:51 am I pay $70/mo for YouTube TV. Is your cable tv cheaper than that? And does it include unlimited DVR? And you can watch on your phone, computer, and TV (at the same time if you want)? And you can watch it just as easily when you're traveling?
my directv isn't but I know my setup/needs aren't comparable to the average user

but in terms of the local cable company ... it's not far off. and you can just watch/access everything from their app and/or use your sign-ins on network specific apps when you're not at home. I just built a trial package for $125 a month after taxes and fees for both TV and internet (with HBO max included)

I'm not coming at this from an anti-streaming point of view by any means. just that I don't think that the cost savings are what they are/were advertised to be and that I think we're quickly getting to the point where bundling services is going to be the way to go again.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I dumped ATT TV for at least the summer. the price jump to $85 just started to get me closer to old times, so I said screw them. Not really missed anything yet, but I will be stuck with featured groups at the PGA Thurs/Fri.

ANd of course my dumb ass went out and bought a roku soundbar so I ate up any savings for almost two months doing that. But damn it's got good sound, the picture is great and best of all....I'm back to one remote.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I haven’t cut the cord yet, but I’m moving that direction. Ordered mesh network stuff from Amazon, and I’m going to buy a roku device soon to make it simpler to watch Hulu (daughter’s school account) and Netflix (SiL’s account). Right now we stream using an old laptop that is connected to the tv, but no remote control makes it a pain to pause it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

It's worth looking into a new TV with built-in Roku. They make life much easier. And TVs are so fucking cheap these days.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:08 pm It's worth looking into a new TV with built-in Roku. They make life much easier. And TVs are so fucking cheap these days.
I definitely agree. But since I already had the tv I decided the sound mattered more. And I’m hugely happy.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My tv is mounted on the wall and it was a pain in the ass. I’m not getting a new one until this one goes bad or I break it by throwing a plush toy at it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

sancarlos wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:31 pm I haven’t cut the cord yet, but I’m moving that direction. Ordered mesh network stuff from Amazon, and I’m going to buy a roku device soon to make it simpler to watch Hulu (daughter’s school account) and Netflix (SiL’s account). Right now we stream using an old laptop that is connected to the tv, but no remote control makes it a pain to pause it.
Funny thing. My wife doesn't watch much tv, and my whole interest in cord cutting started with her periodic bitching about our DirectTV bill. So, now, I've got the Roku device installed, and I've been like a kid the last few days discovering the offerings of various free streaming services, and using Hulu and Netflix more often since it became so much more user-friendly. I told my wife I'd be ready to cut the cord as soon as we figure out how we want to get a couple channels I watch regularly... and now she wants to think about it for awhile...

I'd be interested in people's thoughts on YouTubeTV vs. ATTtv vs. AppleTV vs. Sling vs. other options to get some basic cable-type channels without commercials? I could put up an antenna for local, but I could get it as part of a service, since I want ESPN, TNT and a few others, anyway...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

ATT TV's DVR service blows goats.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

There's no contract for YTTV, so sign up for a month and see if you like it, then cancel if you don't. I find their product to be fantastic but have no experience with ATTtv or AppleTV. YTTV is way better than Sling which I just cancelled because the La Liga season ended (Sling has beIN), and won't return to because ESPN is picking up the league for the next 8 years.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:43 pm I'd be interested in people's thoughts on YouTubeTV vs. ATTtv vs. AppleTV vs. Sling vs. other options to get some basic cable-type channels without commercials? I could put up an antenna for local, but I could get it as part of a service, since I want ESPN, TNT and a few others, anyway...
I use YouTubeTV and its great. Good DVR features, and I can watch it on my TV, my computer, or my phone.

As for the TV, don't have a roku, but do have a new Chromecast, which has the apps built in for YoutubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, HBO, ESPN, and just about everything else. Just have to put your account information in, and you're good to go. Pretty easy.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:15 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:43 pm I'd be interested in people's thoughts on YouTubeTV vs. ATTtv vs. AppleTV vs. Sling vs. other options to get some basic cable-type channels without commercials? I could put up an antenna for local, but I could get it as part of a service, since I want ESPN, TNT and a few others, anyway...
I use YouTubeTV and its great. Good DVR features, and I can watch it on my TV, my computer, or my phone.

As for the TV, don't have a roku, but do have a new Chromecast, which has the apps built in for YoutubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, HBO, ESPN, and just about everything else. Just have to put your account information in, and you're good to go. Pretty easy.
Yeah, the new Chromecast is fantastic as well. The ability to just type in (or speak in) what you want to watch, and have it know what service it's on is great and saves time when you can't remember if a show is on AppleTV or Netflix or Hulu, etc.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Also, looks like ill be singing up for a Free trial of paramount plus in a few minutes.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:22 pm Also, looks like ill be singing up for a Free trial of paramount plus in a few minutes.
And I'll be cancelling it in a few hours.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:31 pm
A_B wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:22 pm Also, looks like ill be singing up for a Free trial of paramount plus in a few minutes.
Actually, AB, it looks like CBS Sports Network is carrying the game. I've got that on YTTV, so I'll go cancel Paramount Plus now.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:42 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:31 pm
Actually, AB, it looks like CBS Sports Network is carrying the game. I've got that on YTTV, so I'll go cancel Paramount Plus now.
Yeah I don't have CBSSports. So this was my only option at the moment.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

As mentioned above, I'm a YouTubeTV fanboy as well. It has been such a huge improvement over DirecTV for me, even ignoring how much cheaper it is.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Me and AB are the only students in here, right?

Spotify Premium, Hulu, & Showtime are $4.99 per month for students.

https://www.spotify.com/us/student/

I use Amazon for my music, mooch off of a friend's hulu account, and don't have any specific favorite shows on Showtime, but this is for sure tempting.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

you can also get Sunday Ticket streaming for $80 with a .edu email
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:32 am you can also get Sunday Ticket streaming for $80 with a .edu email
I think mine costs a bit more than that but maybe it’s taxes. Plus you can use it up to eighteen months after your last enrollment so I will have two seasons past this one to use this.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:35 pm Me and AB are the only students in here, right?

Spotify Premium, Hulu, & Showtime are $4.99 per month for students.

https://www.spotify.com/us/student/

I use Amazon for my music, mooch off of a friend's hulu account, and don't have any specific favorite shows on Showtime, but this is for sure tempting.
Student here too. Any idea if you can switch current accounts to a .edu address and get the reduced cost? Or have to set up a new account? Spotify/Hulu are ones we already subscribe to.

Edit: reading the fine print/faq, doesn't seem like you can do that
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

So I just got an email from Youtube TV saying they won't be carrying NBCUniversal after Sept 30th, guess that means no more Premier League on NBCSports after that date?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Read about that yesterday.

Seems like if midnight hits and the channels are dropped/pulled that google is going to reduce the price of YTTV by more than enough to cover a Peacock sub.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

So YTTV is dropping by $10/month and Peacock Premium is $5/month. Seems too good to be true. Eventually we’ll all be paying the $15.

Can you drop Peacock Premium and stop paying right away? One of the beautiful things about YTTV is you can add or drop services anytime and at most be stuck with that month’s fee.