Cord cutting?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by Rush2112 »

I can vouch for Kodi. Fantastic. Though the new version is a bit different than the one John posted. I originally had a build installed, but found it actually had too much extra crap. New install I just installed a couple of sports sources (ProSport and Sports Devil) and have watched everything that I've wanted to (though the last two UNM games weren't that great) in some sort of HD. Prosport even has replays of games, so if you miss it live, etc. It's a tad different installing, but it's a simple google search: Kodi add-on name .zip and then install from your desktop. As John said there are add-ons that add live non-sport channels as well.

I highly recommend the Kore app that turns your phone into a remote.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yea, the Kodi that shows in those videos is the current stable build, Jarvis 16.1. Krypton 17.1 is about to be released fully here soon but is still technically in beta. Leia 18.1 was just announced.

The app that I use to turn my phone into a remote is called Yatse.

But I haven't used it in a while because the Fire Stick remote works great. And the Raspberry Pi recognizes the Sony frequency and I just happened to have a Sony TV.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

how easy is the interface to use. Don't tell me like you're talking to me...tell me like you're talking to my wife who just wants to watch her shows, dammit.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

How does Kodi get you live sports? i.e. sports that would otherwise be on ESPN? Do you have an account somehow? Or are you stealing it?
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Here was an e-mail I prepared for our Hawaii-bound bud a few weeks back..anything in italics is new information

- My experience so far is that it works best on my PS4, followed by my PS3, then my fire stick, then roku stick. It works on all devices, but the interface/signal catching seems better on the consoles, though I will say my fire stick works pretty well when I use it upstairs closer to the router. I would imagine a fire TV would be better than the stick. So yeah, you have to weigh that against what you are spending.

I have the $34.99 per month plan, and I was paying $187, so I saved $152 per month. I already had a PS3, PS4 and a Roku stick, which made the math WAY easier for me. All I did was buy a fire stick (and I even got it on Prime day for $24.99) and an HD antenna ($20 for middle of the road non powered HD Antenna - ended up buying another one so two tvs could watch networks at same time, so my outlay for equipment was $65 since I had already sunk the Playstation costs) so it was a no brainer for me and boom, I had 4 tvs capable, which is the max amount of devices that can use one PS Vue account at once (I think this is now five, actually). Obviously your payback date moves out a few months if you have to shell out $299 for a ps4 and another $40 for a fire stick (though all amazon stuff is on sale this week) or whatever to have it on a couple of TVs. The advantage of the fire stick is I can move it around. I often have two TVs going on game days anymore, using some combination of PS4/Fire Stick/Antenna.

- It is not super easy to DVR. This is the single biggest drawback I tell of when I talk about Vue. As of now, you can only pause for around 5 minutes. Perfect for a bathroom break, bad for a beer run. AS for DVR, it does what is called “My Shows”…so you can save something, and then start watching it later. I’ve noticed some times that you have to start watching it after it’s broadcast is over. That’s not always the case, so may be based on channel, but if you knew you were going to be 30 minutes late to watching the Ball state game, even if you saved it to your shows, youo may not be able to watch it from the beginning until the game was over - or rather until the Guide thinks the game was over. So if it said the game was from 7-10, it’s only recording for 3 hours, with no way I have yet found to extend a broadcast like on traditional DVRs. so you HAVE to remember to record the item afterwards as well.

The “My shows” thing is fine for when you see a movie coming on in an hour and think you’d like to watch it some time later in the week. But not great for live sports. I have definitely watched more commercials since I got Vue. If you are a heavy DVR user like my Father in law - who plays tennis 4-5 nights a week then starts the games when he gets home - Vue may not be right. I have so many friends texting during games I can’t be more than a few minutes behind anyway. Though I suppose you could go down to the basic cable package, still save a bunch, have one DVR and use that for sports. I am not sure how well sling handles the DVR, but it’s easily the worst part of Vue. It hasn’t been a HUGE issue so far, but I know I am going to miss half of a UK game at some point and it will annoy me.

Surely this is the most common complaint, so I can see them leveraging this into something they can sell and add-on hard drive for or just use the on board memory for the ps4/3. Would be less useful for the sticks, of course.

- My wife is comfortable using the PS4 interface. It’s the best and easiest, and the Ps3 works the same way we just don’t use it as much. I only keep mentioning it because a used Ps3 in working order might be a good option to save money. You turn on the console, fire up the app and away you go. Easy access to the guide. I think they even make a television style remote for the Ps4 so you don’t HAVE to use the controller, but the controller is fine.

The Fire stick is slightly less user friendly, but still highly usable. It’s only less friendly because Amazon wants to direct you to their stuff of course. It has a fully functioning guide, same as PS4/3 where you see whats on and can scroll ahead and see what’s coming on. My wife is not a huge fan of the interface, but once you get used to it I think it's comparable to the PS4. Slower overall, however.

The Roku stick is unusable unless you know exactly what you want to watch, like a game or something. No real guide, you can only see what is currently on, but you can’t see how long it lasts without extra steps. 0/10 would not buy another.

Various musings:

- You’re gonna want a good internet download bandwidth. When we first tried it out we were on 20 Mbps. This was fine so long as you didn’t want to use it more than one place. Fortunately, everything was hitting at the same time for us, and the internet company put everyone on the 20 Mbps plan on a 50 Mbps plan and that pretty much fixed the issue. Occasionally it’s slower than others, but you can almost always reboot the equipment or see what all is using the resources and fix things. You do get some screen pixelation from time to time. This happens rarely on my Ps4, but more often on the Roku, which admittedly is the furthest away from the router. We used the Ps4 in the bar the other day for the UK-Louisville game and only had one time where it got too hard to make shit out, and it fixed itself pretty quickly. It’s not always full HD at my house, but I know that’s more about my internet speed than the Vue.

- You can watch ABC/NBC and FOX shows the day after they air via on demand. CBS is not included because they have their own standalone app and want you to pay. If you watch a lot of CBS sitcoms, you’d probably have to pay the $7 a month to have that. Most channels have some sort of on demand as well. It works well, just like streaming on Netflix.

- I was trying to watch the UK game in the bar on saturday. It's the TV that's furthest away from the router. Both the Fire and Roku sticks were inconsistent with the signal. It would be fine, HD for 10 minutes, then bad for 3-4, sometimes to the point of being unwatchable. I moved the PS4 in at halftime and the signal was the tits the whole time. So it is likely that the PS4 just is better at dealing with the signal than the smaller sticks. A Fire TV or Apple TV (which now supports PS Vue) would likely be better than the sticks.

That’s all I got right now. I’ve been pretty pleased overall. Couple of slowdowns here and there, but I equate that to a cable outage/storm cover for satellite. It happens. If this spurs additional questions, let me know!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Shirley wrote:How does Kodi get you live sports? i.e. sports that would otherwise be on ESPN? Do you have an account somehow? Or are you stealing it?
It's gotta be your last question
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Well, you aren't "stealing it" you're tuning into an alternate broadcast. It's not torrenting, you aren't downloading anything aside from the add-on that allows you to watch the program.

You are viewing an online stream that is being rebroadcast. It's the equivalent of sharing a NetFlix or ESPN3 login.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

You mean you're getting that thing for free that others pay for?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

P.D.X. wrote:You mean you're getting that thing for free that others pay for?

Soooo...stealing.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

YEah, that's some convenient logic, rush!

In the end, that logic was why my conscience made me go with PS Vue over trying to do what Kodi/etc. does. I get 90% of what I wanted at 15% of the cost. I can live with that.

Well, that and my wife needs some kind of remote/guide.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A_B wrote:how easy is the interface to use. Don't tell me like you're talking to me...tell me like you're talking to my wife who just wants to watch her shows, dammit.
Once you have the correct add-on it's simply navigating to that add-on and drilling down to the show/provider. The remotes that John and I mentioned are both basically a cross plus a menu. You select TV from the menu then use the cross to navigate down the list. Select the show hit the enter button, let the software load, and voila.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Didn't you folks share an MLBtv login for a number of years?

and I am not violating any terms of service. The guy rebroadcasting is doing the illegal shit, my tv just happens to be tuned to it.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rush2112 wrote:Didn't you folks share an MLBtv login for a number of years?

and I am not violating any terms of service. The guy rebroadcasting is doing the illegal shit, my tv just happens to be tuned to it.
splitting a subscription fee =/= not paying a subscription fee at all for something that requires a subscription fee

"I'm not committing the illegal act of [blank], I just happen to be watching it" is odd
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Brontoburglar wrote:

splitting a subscription fee =/= not paying a subscription fee at all for something that requires a subscription fee

"I'm not committing the illegal act of [blank], I just happen to be watching it" is odd
Sharing of logins is prohibited by MLB.TV, so even if you are splitting the cost you are still violating the terms of service.

With Kodi, I'm doing the same thing except that my part of the splitting of the cost is 0%.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Guys, I'm splitting time this year as Head Coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers. But I'm in charge 0% of the time.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rush2112 wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:

Sharing of logins is prohibited by MLB.TV, so even if you are splitting the cost you are still violating the terms of service.

With Kodi, I'm doing the same thing except that my part of the splitting of the cost is 0%.
Can't speak for everyone but the usage of "stealing" =/= condemnation, either. But your logic in defense is still odd.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Brontoburglar wrote:But your logic in defense is still odd.
First of all, your interest because I'm the one that mentioned it and for no other reason is odd.

Second, it's not "my defense," it's not illegal because I am not the one that's rebroadcasting.

If you or don't want to use the program then don't. Someone asked a question and I was trying to answer.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shirley wrote:How does Kodi get you live sports? i.e. sports that would otherwise be on ESPN? Do you have an account somehow? Or are you stealing it?
Um, I'm guessing someone with a live sports feed is routing their signal through an ip for all to tap into. I don't know how that works. You probably have a better idea. It's probably the same way things that happen on tv are on social media so fast.

I'm pretty sure it's stealing. But then I've also bought bootleg movies that had just come out in theaters while deployed from vendors in Iraq. So, I have no moral opposition to what I'm doing.

I just read this and I agree with it: http://wtvpc.com/is-kodi-legal-as-users ... questions/

Until the rules pass that prevent me from going to websites that stream illegal content, I'm going. Prohibition didn't prevent consumption of alcohol. So, until Century Link kicks me a warning letter, I'm still going to watch things. I'll just add my VPN in the meantime.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, Rush, to be clear, what you're doing IS illegal. I'm not making a big deal out of it - I've done it too - but you shouldn't pretend it's not illegal.

BTW, I don't have a big problem with streaming the occasional illegal sporting event or downloading a show. But I'm not ready to set things up so that's my primary way to watch content.

AB, thanks for your big post on this. I'd like to cut the cord, but I do like my DVRed games, I don't want to rely on illegal streams, and I need a system easy/reliable enough for my wife. Granted, at this point, she hardly ever turns the TV on herself anyway so maybe that's not an issue anymore.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Shirley wrote:Yeah, Rush, to be clear, what you're doing IS illegal. I'm not making a big deal out of it - I've done it too - but you shouldn't pretend it's not illegal.
I'm not pretending. I know it's a grey area, and like John, I do my viewing from the Netherlands via a VPN...but unless something really goes wrong in Trump's AmeriKKKa they'll they care about the streamer not the streamee.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rush2112 wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:But your logic in defense is still odd.
First of all, your interest because I'm the one that mentioned it and for no other reason is odd.

Second, it's not "my defense," it's not illegal because I am not the one that's rebroadcasting.

If you or don't want to use the program then don't. Someone asked a question and I was trying to answer.
my interest because you're the one who couched your position on kodi by bringing something up that I've run the past two years is odd?

save the goddamn victim complex. maybe you'll realize soon that your reasoning gets questioned because of the reasoning and not because it's you.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Brontoburglar wrote:
save the goddamn victim complex. maybe you'll realize soon that your reasoning gets questioned because of the reasoning and not because it's you.
or maybe because you seem to like to point it out, or do you typically hang out on the Boise State athletic website?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rush2112 wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
or maybe because you seem to like to point it out, or do you typically hang out on the Boise State athletic website?
I would have said the same thing if Johnnie or another user had made the same justification -- mentioning that this is because I've countered you in the past is proving my point

I called your logic leap odd. I'm not sure why you feel that it's anything more than that. And besides, none of us are going to attempt to turn you in or anything. It's just a self-serving way to justify watching subscription-based services for free.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I am aware it's a grey area, that being said, I don't care.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Rush2112 wrote:Well, you aren't "stealing it" you're tuning into an alternate broadcast. It's not torrenting, you aren't downloading anything aside from the add-on that allows you to watch the program.

You are viewing an online stream that is being rebroadcast. It's the equivalent of sharing a NetFlix or ESPN3 login.
It could also be called receiving stolen property, which is a crime.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Sabo wrote:It could also be called receiving stolen property, which is a crime.
It's not stolen. The person broadcasting conceivably paid for the service. It's the equivalent of sharing logins to a subscription service, or someone posting content from the Insiders portion of ESPN. So if you've ever read any of those articles posted here, under your manner of thinking you've broken the law.

If you don't want to do it then don't. I really don't have any qualms about it, and I'd rather not shell out 300+ dollars just because I don't live in the broadcast area of the teams I follow.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Thinking of cutting the cord. We just don't watch enough TV to justify a $200 a month for our cable/broadband bill, and with my decision to give up on watching/following football any more (I just feel sleazy about the health impact on the players, and the length of games, number of commercials, and the general Football Industrial Complex).

But here's the question: If one were to cut the cord, how would I watch the Premier League in the fall? The World Cup next summer? The MLS?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A quick Google search says Sling TV packages have the channels that broadcast EPL and others. Check into that.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I have ps vue and saw plenty of epl. You'll need and antenna for any games on the big broadcast(abc, NBC) networkS
though.

I don't recommend vue if you don't have a PS4 or at least a ps3
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

You don't have to cut the cord if you really don't want to, either. Cable companies are very willing to cut your bill significantly if you just call.

I won't consider it anytime soon because I like things live and with no lag. And the ability to DVR and rewind easily.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote:I have ps vue and saw plenty of epl. You'll need and antenna for any games on the big broadcast(abc, NBC) networkS
though.

I don't recommend vue if you don't have a PS4 or at least a ps3
Yeah. I echo that sentiment re: Vue. It runs far smoother on my PS4 than it does on my Apple TV (4th Gen). Comically so.

It's cool, I guess. Not sure it's worth $35/mo though. Not when 20% of the channels seem to be ESPN and Big Ten's barfed up offerings.

I mean, where else am I going to go to be reminded I can order my free container of miracle water?
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I'm just waiting until the magic hand of the free market figures this shit out.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Now ps vue has a thirty percent price increase at the same time directv has a great deal for att customers. Very weird.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I made the call to the Cable company yesterday.

So any recommendations for an HD antenna?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DaveInSeattle wrote:I made the call to the Cable company yesterday.

You may want to start here: https://www.antennaweb.org/

Tells you what you'll be able to get with the various types of antenna. We got a cheap one at home depot to try it out and the thing works so well we haven't upgraded. Though we basically watch football and PBS.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Does anyone have DirecTV Now?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Just cut mine to internet only, and started YouTubeTV for $35/mo. My main concern was regional sports (watching Lightning games), and Fox Sports Florida is part of my package. YouTubeTV comes with unlimited cloud based DVR as well. I like it so far.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DaveInSeattle wrote:I made the call to the Cable company yesterday.

I bought this one when it was highlighted as a Kinja deal for $22 this past November. Works like a champ.

1byone 50 Mile Range Amplified HDTV Antenna, with Detachable Amplifier Signal Booster for the Highest Performance and 10 Feet Coaxial Cable-Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IF70T4M/re ... SzbVC2410R

(And that's also me using it with this because I have a dual voltage European television. Mediasonic Homeworx HW180STB 3 / 4 Channel HDTV Digital Converter Box with Recording and Media Player (New Version) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IYETYX8/re ... SzbZNHP4HS)
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

govmentchedda wrote:Just cut mine to internet only, and started YouTubeTV for $35/mo. My main concern was regional sports (watching Lightning games), and Fox Sports Florida is part of my package. YouTubeTV comes with unlimited cloud based DVR as well. I like it so far.

Doesn't have NBC Sports so I give the edge to PS Vue
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yeah it does, playa. At least it does in Hillsborough county.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.