Cord cutting?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, brian, ZMan, Sabo

User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4860
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: On the trail

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by Sabo » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:54 am

Rex wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:58 pm
I guess it's also Dish's fault that they can't do a deal with Sinclair, and SlingTV and Fubo's fault that they can't do a deal with Sinclair, and it will be Comcast's fault when they can't do a deal with Sinclair later this year.
SlingTV is owned by Dish, which might explain why they don't have a deal. Don't know who owns Fubo.

Anyway, fuck Sinclair.
Mallards rule.

So do cassowaries.

Baloney
Jesus Quintana
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:55 am

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by Baloney » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:35 pm

YouTube TV, Sinclair reach deal to keep 19 of 21 Fox regional networks on platform

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/nati ... KPpH8m7hh8

Baloney
Jesus Quintana
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:55 am

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by Baloney » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:15 pm


User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5568
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by Shirley » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:23 pm

Yeah, that's quite a hike for YTTV. I love the service, but man. I wouldn't pay $15 for the channels they're adding, that's for sure.
Totally Kafkaesque

HaulCitgo
Donny
Posts: 2008
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by HaulCitgo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:47 pm

I enjoyed yttv when my brother in law had it. Im used to no TV now but $65/month seems fair

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 16121
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by A_B » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:56 pm

I pay 70 for att tv with hbo. So I think we are getting close to commodity pricing maybe.
The wife just accidentally called you. “Accidentally”. Sorry

User avatar
Brontoburglar
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4522
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:20 am

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by Brontoburglar » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:15 pm

Brontoburglar wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:19 pm
I'm weird I guess because I have no desire to ever cut the cord. TV interface is still better, live sports are actually close to live and not 45-60 seconds delayed and it's going to soon get to the point where cable/satellite will be just as cost-effective as bundling a bunch of streaming services.
told y'all
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 16121
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by A_B » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:12 am

Brontoburglar wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:15 pm
Brontoburglar wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:19 pm
I'm weird I guess because I have no desire to ever cut the cord. TV interface is still better, live sports are actually close to live and not 45-60 seconds delayed and it's going to soon get to the point where cable/satellite will be just as cost-effective as bundling a bunch of streaming services.
told y'all
Well I'm still saving 100 over what I was paying for Directv, so it's not close to there for me yet. And I don't think you can count bundling Netflix/Disney etc in the cost because it's not apples to apples. I had Netflix when I had Directv and would likely have added Disney as well. Their offerings aren't available on just a cable/satellite service.
The wife just accidentally called you. “Accidentally”. Sorry

User avatar
Brontoburglar
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4522
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:20 am

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by Brontoburglar » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:16 am

A_B wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:12 am
Brontoburglar wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:15 pm
Brontoburglar wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:19 pm
I'm weird I guess because I have no desire to ever cut the cord. TV interface is still better, live sports are actually close to live and not 45-60 seconds delayed and it's going to soon get to the point where cable/satellite will be just as cost-effective as bundling a bunch of streaming services.
told y'all
Well I'm still saving 100 over what I was paying for Directv, so it's not close to there for me yet. And I don't think you can count bundling Netflix/Disney etc in the cost because it's not apples to apples. I had Netflix when I had Directv and would likely have added Disney as well. Their offerings aren't available on just a cable/satellite service.
oh, I don't think it's at that point yet -- but it's getting there. someone who had google fiber internet and TV in Kansas City is now saving only like $20 a month to have google fiber internet and yttv. google also recently stopped installing its fiber tv service and is telling everyone to get yttv
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5568
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by Shirley » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:28 am

Don't get me wrong. If the price were exactly the same and I was asked to choose between the DirecTv service I had forever or the YTTV I got last year, I'd choose YTTV in a heartbeat. The service is so much better. It's automatic, infinite cloud storage is a game-changer. And the ability to watch it anywhere is a huge advantage to me, so I can watch the same stuff at the beach, or (in the old world) at work or while traveling. The user interface and the search/recording features are SO MUCH better than DirecTv.

I couldn't care less about live sports being a few seconds behind because my job doesn't involve live Tweeting about such things. In fact, I'd much prefer watching sports a bit delayed so I can skip commercials.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 19389
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by mister d » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:46 am

That last part is a deal breaker for me. I tend to be either texting friends or live following on twitter during sports so even a 30 second delay is awful.
rass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am
I'm definitely known as "the boy who cried penis" in town.

User avatar
Ryan
The Dude
Posts: 7764
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 am

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by Ryan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:01 pm

It's not "Your vaccine is ready" but it's close:

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The

User avatar
cerrano
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1115
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by cerrano » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:15 am

So I have Rokus but we’re a week away from the start of the PL which is going to have the non-network games on Peacock so I feel like I’m regressing you the days when the PL was on Fox Sports and I missed most matches.

I don’t think I want to reattach the cord with Comcast, so what’s a good option for a streaming device? (Fire stock also doesn’t have peacock yet.)
"i'm just a middle-aged black woman trying to get into the senate."

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 7823
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by govmentchedda » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:24 am

In years past, I've felt no need to get the games that were on NBC Sports Gold, or whatever it was called before Peacock. Unless you are a completist, or a big Brighton fan, I'm not sure you need it. I assume that they're keeping the same ratios for what is shown where.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
cerrano
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1115
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by cerrano » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:10 am

govmentchedda wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:24 am
In years past, I've felt no need to get the games that were on NBC Sports Gold, or whatever it was called before Peacock. Unless you are a completist, or a big Brighton fan, I'm not sure you need it. I assume that they're keeping the same ratios for what is shown where.
you're an mufc supporter so it might be a little different for you.

me: newcastle
wife: everton

while nufc are on nbcsn next weekend against west ham, they probably won't be on frequently during the season unless they are playing one of the big six. everton's game next week got bumped to peacock and that has made mrs. cerrano none-too-happy. everton is usually on nbcsn more than nufc, who are on more than brighton, i confess, but in the past i have ponied up the $50 for sports gold.
"i'm just a middle-aged black woman trying to get into the senate."

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 7823
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by govmentchedda » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:21 am

cerrano wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:10 am
govmentchedda wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:24 am
In years past, I've felt no need to get the games that were on NBC Sports Gold, or whatever it was called before Peacock. Unless you are a completist, or a big Brighton fan, I'm not sure you need it. I assume that they're keeping the same ratios for what is shown where.
you're an mufc supporter so it might be a little different for you.

me: newcastle
wife: everton

while nufc are on nbcsn next weekend against west ham, they probably won't be on frequently during the season unless they are playing one of the big six. everton's game next week got bumped to peacock and that has made mrs. cerrano none-too-happy. everton is usually on nbcsn more than nufc, who are on more than brighton, i confess, but in the past i have ponied up the $50 for sports gold.
Yeah, I should've added that caveat. There were a few Man U games last year that I couldn't watch live, but not enough to make me want to pay. I've definitely got a soft spot for Fulham, so maybe I'll get Peacock. Your wife must be over the moon about this James signing.

I've seen three amazing goals in person in my life, and him vs. USMNT in 2018 is one of them.

I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 7823
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by govmentchedda » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:43 am

govmentchedda wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:21 am
cerrano wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:10 am
govmentchedda wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:24 am
In years past, I've felt no need to get the games that were on NBC Sports Gold, or whatever it was called before Peacock. Unless you are a completist, or a big Brighton fan, I'm not sure you need it. I assume that they're keeping the same ratios for what is shown where.
you're an mufc supporter so it might be a little different for you.

me: newcastle
wife: everton

while nufc are on nbcsn next weekend against west ham, they probably won't be on frequently during the season unless they are playing one of the big six. everton's game next week got bumped to peacock and that has made mrs. cerrano none-too-happy. everton is usually on nbcsn more than nufc, who are on more than brighton, i confess, but in the past i have ponied up the $50 for sports gold.
Yeah, I should've added that caveat. There were a few Man U games last year that I couldn't watch live, but not enough to make me want to pay. I've definitely got a soft spot for Fulham, so maybe I'll get Peacock. Your wife must be over the moon about this James signing.

I've seen three amazing goals in person in my life, and him vs. USMNT in 2018 is one of them.

Apparently 8! of this weekend's games are on Peacock!
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 7823
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by govmentchedda » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:53 am

govmentchedda wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:43 am
govmentchedda wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:21 am
cerrano wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:10 am
govmentchedda wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:24 am
In years past, I've felt no need to get the games that were on NBC Sports Gold, or whatever it was called before Peacock. Unless you are a completist, or a big Brighton fan, I'm not sure you need it. I assume that they're keeping the same ratios for what is shown where.
you're an mufc supporter so it might be a little different for you.

me: newcastle
wife: everton

while nufc are on nbcsn next weekend against west ham, they probably won't be on frequently during the season unless they are playing one of the big six. everton's game next week got bumped to peacock and that has made mrs. cerrano none-too-happy. everton is usually on nbcsn more than nufc, who are on more than brighton, i confess, but in the past i have ponied up the $50 for sports gold.
Yeah, I should've added that caveat. There were a few Man U games last year that I couldn't watch live, but not enough to make me want to pay. I've definitely got a soft spot for Fulham, so maybe I'll get Peacock. Your wife must be over the moon about this James signing.

I've seen three amazing goals in person in my life, and him vs. USMNT in 2018 is one of them.

Apparently 8! of this weekend's games are on Peacock!
ETA - did a little digging, and it's only 5. Still, it's fucking bullshit. No wake and watch, unless you have Peacock, or wake around noon.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

Baloney
Jesus Quintana
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:55 am

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by Baloney » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:39 am

I saw that, hope it's not a sign of things to come

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 7823
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by govmentchedda » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:14 am

Apparently it's like 160 of 380 games that will be on Peacock only. I get the way they did it last year (multiple games in the time slot = the lesser game is streaming only), but this is bullshit.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5568
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by Shirley » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:09 am

Yeah, I was caught off guard yesterday when I realized the Chelsea game wasn't available on my YouTube TV. Not really a cord-cutting issue though, because I assume it would be the same with cable or satellite.

That said, illegal streams are easy to find on a computer, but I don't like doing that.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 7823
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by govmentchedda » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:17 am

Shirley wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:09 am
Yeah, I was caught off guard yesterday when I realized the Chelsea game wasn't available on my YouTube TV. Not really a cord-cutting issue though, because I assume it would be the same with cable or satellite.

That said, illegal streams are easy to find on a computer, but I don't like doing that.
This year it's the same with cable or satellite, but last year they didn't program any game times to be app only.

So, for example, Saturday is
7:30 EVE/WBA Peacock
10 LEE/FUL Peacock
12:30 MNU/CRY NBCSN
3 ARS/WHU NBCSN

Last year, there wouldn't have been a 3 pm weekend game, and the early two games would have been on NBCSN or NBC, or sometimes USA

They've done something similar for Sunday (but for some dumb reason the start times are 7, 9, 11:30, and 2). Why they can't keep consistent start times is beyond me as well.

The early 2 Sunday games are Peacock exclusively, with the latter 2 games on USA, then NBCSN.

Monday they've got games at 1 and 3:15, showing on Peacock, then NBCSN, respectively.

Last year, they'd generally have a 7:30, 10, and 12:30 on Saturday, and if there were 6 games total, one would be early, one would be late, and 4 would be at 10 (the standard UK kickoff time). Of those 4, the 3 least important would be streaming only.

This weekend Everton, West Brom, Leeds, Fulham, Southampton, Tottenham, Newcastle, West Brom, Villa, and Sheffield United are all Peacock only.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
Rex
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4813
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by Rex » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:22 am

Here is a really good review/rundown of Peacock's PL coverage:

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2020/08/29/ ... g-service/

It's 175 exclusive games with a minimum of 3 per team. In the NBC Sports Gold years, there really was a big difference between the Top 6 coverage and everything else. That was evident during Sunday's Spurs-Everton game when only one of the two fan bases spent the morning complaining about Peacock on Twitter. That's really the Mendoza Line of EPL television coverage, below which you are largely dependent on streaming (especially when you want to watch something other than your team getting drilled 4-0).

I don't think I will sign up until some of these features are improved, like the lack of DVR functionality. I think that's going to be problematic for the parts of the country that would prefer not to wake up before 7AM to catch a game. I also wish NBC would bundle its various sports properties in a more useful way. They have a lot of things where I'm a big enough fan to watch the obscure stuff (golf, cycling, olympic sports) but not at the price points they offer. Instead they're bundling with a bunch of TV shows and movies I'll never watch.

User avatar
cerrano
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1115
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by cerrano » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:40 pm

govmentchedda wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:17 am
Shirley wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:09 am
Yeah, I was caught off guard yesterday when I realized the Chelsea game wasn't available on my YouTube TV. Not really a cord-cutting issue though, because I assume it would be the same with cable or satellite.

That said, illegal streams are easy to find on a computer, but I don't like doing that.
This year it's the same with cable or satellite, but last year they didn't program any game times to be app only.

So, for example, Saturday is
7:30 EVE/WBA Peacock
10 LEE/FUL Peacock
12:30 MNU/CRY NBCSN
3 ARS/WHU NBCSN

Last year, there wouldn't have been a 3 pm weekend game, and the early two games would have been on NBCSN or NBC, or sometimes USA

They've done something similar for Sunday (but for some dumb reason the start times are 7, 9, 11:30, and 2). Why they can't keep consistent start times is beyond me as well.

The early 2 Sunday games are Peacock exclusively, with the latter 2 games on USA, then NBCSN.

Monday they've got games at 1 and 3:15, showing on Peacock, then NBCSN, respectively.

Last year, they'd generally have a 7:30, 10, and 12:30 on Saturday, and if there were 6 games total, one would be early, one would be late, and 4 would be at 10 (the standard UK kickoff time). Of those 4, the 3 least important would be streaming only.

This weekend Everton, West Brom, Leeds, Fulham, Southampton, Tottenham, Newcastle, West Brom, Villa, and Sheffield United are all Peacock only.
I probably missed your point but aren’t they doing the weird-ass kick-off times as a result of them broadcasting all games since fans can’t be there in person?

And when I saw the list of games on peacock this week it became clear that NBC is trying to force the hand of the big 6 fan. Risky.

(In full disclosure, I bought a chromecast and kept the receipt. Felt slightly better about that after EFC and NUFC won their opening matches)
"i'm just a middle-aged black woman trying to get into the senate."

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 7823
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by govmentchedda » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:43 pm

Yeah,. I'm sure the UK viewer is priority #1, and I've heard some debate about what you can view over there this year, considering COVID-19. Curious what Baloney can add to the discussion.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

Baloney
Jesus Quintana
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:55 am

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by Baloney » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:40 pm

govmentchedda wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:43 pm
Yeah,. I'm sure the UK viewer is priority #1, and I've heard some debate about what you can view over there this year, considering COVID-19. Curious what Baloney can add to the discussion.
Think this weekends coverage is an outlier due to NBCSN showing the TdF live. I will wait a week or two to see what their plan is,
are they going to just substitute Peacock for the games that used to be on Gold?
are they going to dedicate a time slot that used to show a game live e.g. 7:30 am to Peacock now
Are they going to cherry pick top 6 team match ups and put them on Peacock to force people to buy

Can't believe they only make the games shown live on Peacock available on-demand after 9 pm ET, there's no chance I won't know the score by then, especially if it's an early KO.

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 7823
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by govmentchedda » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:47 pm

Baloney wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:40 pm
govmentchedda wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:43 pm
Yeah,. I'm sure the UK viewer is priority #1, and I've heard some debate about what you can view over there this year, considering COVID-19. Curious what Baloney can add to the discussion.
Think this weekends coverage is an outlier due to NBCSN showing the TdF live. I will wait a week or two to see what their plan is,
are they going to just substitute Peacock for the games that used to be on Gold?
are they going to dedicate a time slot that used to show a game live e.g. 7:30 am to Peacock now
Are they going to cherry pick top 6 team match ups and put them on Peacock to force people to buy

Can't believe they only make the games shown live on Peacock available on-demand after 9 pm ET, there's no chance I won't know the score by then, especially if it's an early KO.
That link above from Rex explains a lot. I think big 6 teams are capped at 3 games this season on Peacock. It's still fucking mindless that they're not showing any games during a timeslot where there is a game (i.e. different than how they did it last year).
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
Rex
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4813
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by Rex » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:39 pm

I think 3 games is the floor, not the cap. I did some number crunching and it's pretty bleak if they only move 3 games a piece for each of the Big 6. The Other 14 would probably get about 45% of games on regular TV, but maybe an average of 1-2 of those would be against the rest of the Other 14. I assume that Leeds and probably Everton will merit a big chunk of what little is available, and you have to leave some room for late season relegation contests. It looks like Gold did around 130 games with the 3-game floor for Big 6 clubs. Those extra games will make a big difference.

On another note, it looks like Peacock is also taking on some US Open coverage, though perhaps not enough to seriously disrupt people's golf watching this weekend.

Post Reply