The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by Rush2112 »

For Denver/Boulder swampers that haven't tasted the nectar, Trillium Brewing tap takeover at Hops & Pie this Friday.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:23 am For Denver/Boulder swampers that haven't tasted the nectar, Trillium Brewing tap takeover at Hops & Pie this Friday.
I plan on going...either for lunch or right after work.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Good message, but probably bad beer
https://earther.gizmodo.com/lake-eries- ... 1829796809
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Maumee Bay has really, really good beer so I imagine it's drinkable.

I just tried this for the first time and it's not too bad. Still prefer west coast IPAs though.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Did the Knights put that on the ice?

Their promo department is incredible.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:13 pm Did the Knights put that on the ice?

Their promo department is incredible.
No, it was just the brewery. Another brewery in town sells "Cloudy With A Chance Of Fleury" unfiltered IPA.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The brewery where my son works part-time is run by a mad scientist.

"All Wheat Double IP with Lactose" 8.9% and absolutely delicious.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:31 pm The brewery where my son works part-time is run by a mad scientist.

"All Wheat Double IP with Lactose" 8.9% and absolutely delicious.
And Other Half is one of my favorites. They do some bizarre shit that somehow works, and are the kinds of the super fresh tasting lupulin IPA.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

But for real cream of wheat is a good breakfast. Lil sugar boom.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I do have great ambition for my son - he graduates in September... but I'm telling you, his job at this brewery (he works in their kitchen) is stocking the beer fridge in such wonderful ways!
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Went to the local bar last night. Alpine Nelson and Maine Lunch both on tap. (I think Maine Beer Company just made its way to Pittsburgh last week.) And the first song I heard when I walked in was REM's 'Fall On Me.' Best beer night of my life, if I ignore the drunk guy in the restroom who tried to talk to me about Kanye West's viability as a Presidential candidate.

I was looking over Beer Advocate's Top 250 list for the first time in years, and I was surprised to see how much it changed. Neither of the beers that I just mentioned are on it. Heady Topper is #6 now, after spending years as the reigning, defending, undisputed heavyweight champion of the world. Pliny the Elder is all the way down at #32.

I did some digging, and I found that there are old Beer Advocate rankings on archive.org. This is wonderful. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of old pages here.

Just clicked on a page from 2013, and Nelson and Lunch are #59 and #87, respectively. But they're both more widely distributed now, and we all know that beer doesn't taste as good if it's easy to find. Or, at least, it won't be ranked as high. You can watch a beer's ranking fall year to year as it becomes more readily available.

I thought some of you might enjoy this. You can read old lists and pick fights with 2011 groupthink, or whatever.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160801000 ... lists/top/

https://web.archive.org/web/20060515000 ... _beers.php
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Anyone else on untappd? If so connect with me. I am negorin
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Connection sent. Syb, AB, rush, and GoodKarma are all friends of mine on there.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bapo! wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:12 pm
But they're both more widely distributed now, and we all know that beer doesn't taste as good if it's easy to find. Or, at least, it won't be ranked as high.
There is definitely something to this, but I think the increase in great local breweries is killing the relative ratings of formerly great beers like Lunch and Nelson. Nationally distributed beers can't use the same ingredients as hyper-local breweries, because they need to withstand travel, distribution and time sitting on a shelf. A local brewery can use lupulin and assume you'll drink it within a few weeks. There is definitely value in great nationally distributed beers, but if you have great local breweries, the bigger boys can't compete for freshness and innovation.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Probably not what most of you guys go for and not real highly rated on beer advocate, but I’m enjoying Saranac Caramel Porter. Kind of sweet, lots of barley flavor, nice head. Lighter than most Porters.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:19 pm Anyone else on untappd? If so connect with me. I am negorin
If I didn’t know your name but knew your proclivity for misspellings I’d figure you were a black dude a la Johnnie.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Had the Fremont BA Dark Star on draft the other day. Have had the normal beer, but boy the barrel ageing just up that beer to the stratosphere.

Been wanting to try for a few years, glad I was able to track it down.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

For Christmas, received a personalized growler bottle, with my last name and the quote, "Ah, beer. My one weakness."

I like it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Had the Power97 Pale from The Great City Brewing Company in Winnipeg last night. They called it a New England style pale. First micro I've had from Cananda. Pretty good. My boss also bought down their DIPA for me, but's for another night.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:19 pm Anyone else on untappd? If so connect with me. I am negorin
I'm JIrvine13

My son turned 21 in September and we are bonding over his new found love of craft beers.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:41 am
I'm JIrvine13

My son turned 21 in September and we are bonding over his new found love of craft beers.
Dad must be paying!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:43 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:41 am
I'm JIrvine13

Dad must be paying!
Sure, when possible. We were just at the Dogfishhead Brewery on Saturday. Solid beer and damn good food.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I’m in St. Augustine, FL right now and have had a couple of excellent porters during my visit. Tampa Bay Brewing Co. makes an imperial porter called Gingy that had a nice gingerbread and cinnamon flavor. And Ancient City Brewing, based here in St. Augustine, has a tasty cononut porter that’s got a good balance of porter and coconut flavors. Wish I was here longer so I could sample more local brews.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

If you can find Reef Donkey from TBBC, give it a try.

In fact, there used to be a place in the back of one of those winding strip mall type things just off the main walking drag that had a HUGE beer selection. I guarantee they'd have it.

ETA - I think it's Rendezvous beer bar.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:40 pm If you can find Reef Donkey from TBBC, give it a try.

In fact, there used to be a place in the back of one of those winding strip mall type things just off the main walking drag that had a HUGE beer selection. I guarantee they'd have it.

ETA - I think it's Rendezvous beer bar.
Thanks for the tip. I won’t have time to look for that place before we head home Wednesday, but I can see us coming back here for another vacation some time. We’ve enjoyed our brief visit to this area.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The neighboring state of Vermont is at the forefront, with 11.5 breweries per capita, topping a list of only eight states ahead of New Hampshire, where there are 5.6 breweries per capita. With the increase in breweries in the Granite State, there has been a correlation of economic growth that comes with it. New Hampshire has seen an economic impact of $356 per person because of its breweries, per capita.
According to the Nashua Telegraph, Vermont has 7.2 million breweries and New Hampshire has 7.5. So come on up.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ryan wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:13 pm
The neighboring state of Vermont is at the forefront, with 11.5 breweries per capita, topping a list of only eight states ahead of New Hampshire, where there are 5.6 breweries per capita. With the increase in breweries in the Granite State, there has been a correlation of economic growth that comes with it. New Hampshire has seen an economic impact of $356 per person because of its breweries, per capita.
According to the Nashua Telegraph, Vermont has 7.2 million breweries and New Hampshire has 7.5. So come on up.
There's about 1 percent chance these stats are actually accurate.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Breweries per capita is a really dipshit-y stat anyway. If I'm traveling somewhere to visit multiple breweries, I don't care how many households I have to pass between sites.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Wouldn't breweries per capita be a really really really tiny number? Which is what ryan was saying?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ohhhhhhh ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

NJ guys know anything about Two Ton, which I just learned yesterday has been open in Kenilworth since the fall?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Heard of, never been or had. Not one where the reviews have forced me to go find them.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:39 am NJ guys know anything about Two Ton, which I just learned yesterday has been open in Kenilworth since the fall?

They were at the Garden State Beer festival last time I went, maybe 3 years ago. Whatever they put out was completely unmemorable, but it was also one of the last booths I visited. Somewhere along the line I got them confused with Two Roads, which puts out lots of subpar products, and because of that, I ignored Two Ton.

Still waiting to hear about the new brewery that was supposed to open in New Providence last fall... Also interesting only to locals, I'm excited about a new gastropub opening in New Providence. It's owned by parents of a kid on my son's track team, and they brought on my beer obsessed friend as a consultant, and I'm confident this place will have the best beer menu anywhere. He is working on deals with all the good local breweries, and was thinking of a 50% local split. I'll post in the Central NJ thread when they open. They have signs up, so hopefully it'll be soon. It will be called Harlee's, and it's in the old Chen's/Dim Sum Village location on Springfield. Just checked, and they secured their liquor license in June. There are only 3 liquor licenses in the entire town. Crazy.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We were on Springfield (got the Christmas tree at Hall's and was headed to Twin Elephant) and saw that place was out. In any other midtown direct town I know of I'd say that location is perfect but the New Providence weirdos have the downtown away from the train.

(I'd love to know, if you can find out, why they can't go 100% local. Just the necessity of having the macro bullshit on as well or not enough production or margin or something else?)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:32 pm We were on Springfield (got the Christmas tree at Hall's and was headed to Twin Elephant) and saw that place was out. In any other midtown direct town I know of I'd say that location is perfect but the New Providence weirdos have the downtown away from the train.

(I'd love to know, if you can find out, why they can't go 100% local. Just the necessity of having the macro bullshit on as well or not enough production or margin or something else?)
I'll find out. I know he was talking to Conclave and some smaller breweries, and I doubt they have the ability to produce much. Bolero's brewery is close to opening, so maybe they can up their productivity. I don't know if they will have any macros on hand. The owner probably would want to, but I don't know what they are planning.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Went to Two Ton Brewing in friendly Kenilworth, NJ today. The space is very nice. A lot of seating, a bunch of board games and a huge table in the back for kids to play at (if you’re there on an early Sunday afternoon with your spawn as some of my co-drinkers were). Free water, and seltzer, food delivery encouraged. What more can you want?

Well, beer could be a little better. I tried all three IPAs available today (they have a lot of other options) and the imperial is probably the best (I wish the Rocket Jaw tasted as good as it looked). Not a complete pan, just feel like they were missing something. Backbone?

Will definitely go back at some point.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Stopped in at Cherry Street Brewing outside of Atlanta yesterday. Had Caught in a Mash IPA and Step-in' Razor DDH IPA. Really liked Caught in a Mash.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:17 am
mister d wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:03 pm Best beer I had in Michigan was M-43 by Old Nation.
That's an excellent choice. They do a lot of great ones.
I have two cans of M43 picked up from a liquor store tonight that I haven't opened because I've been told that i need to have it in a glass. So I need to find a glass. Also got a random PB&J beer that I opened when we got back to the hotel and is actually interesting enough to enjoy. I wouldn't drink more than a can at a time though even if it actually tastes like a PB&J sandwich.

Also props to Brian for Latitude 42. Went there tonight for food and beer. The moontower was one of the smoothest DIPAs I've had.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

having a Phaedrus IPA from Culmination in the PDX that my wife brought back from a business trip.

Really, really good old school IPA. Hoppy, but really really well balanced with malt. Only mention the hops and not the malt bill, but it has a neat finishing sweetness that reminiscent of 2x4 from Melvin, which I know has Belgian sugar. This isn't that sweet. I really wish I had more than one.