Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:53 pm
BSF21 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:17 am
mister d wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:03 pm Best beer I had in Michigan was M-43 by Old Nation.
That's an excellent choice. They do a lot of great ones.
I have two cans of M43 picked up from a liquor store tonight that I haven't opened because I've been told that i need to have it in a glass. So I need to find a glass. Also got a random PB&J beer that I opened when we got back to the hotel and is actually interesting enough to enjoy. I wouldn't drink more than a can at a time though even if it actually tastes like a PB&J sandwich.

Also props to Brian for Latitude 42. Went there tonight for food and beer. The moontower was one of the smoothest DIPAs I've had.
M43 is amazing
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The antithesis of craft beer...

Canadian Grocery Chain Launches "No-Name" Beer

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:17 am The antithesis of craft beer...

Canadian Grocery Chain Launches "No-Name" Beer

Is this any different than the trader joes beer?
Simplier times,
KBC
Black Toad
Boatswain
Trader Jose
Josephsbrau
Stockyard
Mission Street
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Those Trader Joe's beers are made under contract by craft brewers. So, yeah, I'd say there is likely a big difference between that and a generic macro.

I've had the Josephsbrau, which is brewed by San Jose's GordonBiersch. It ain't bad.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Groceries here in CO can now sell full-strength beer (rather than just 3.2) I was at Costco this past weekend, people were loading up on the Kirkland "craft" beer case. It's going for like 18$ so I guess I can see why.

In regards to TJ's beer, the annual holiday beer they sell is made by Unibroue and typically damn good.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Natural Light Naturdays Strawberry Lemonade
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I think you were looking for the "Horrible Macro Brew Shandy Vomit Thread".
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:51 pm I think you were looking for the "Horrible Macro Brew Shandy Vomit Thread".
The can looks pretty.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Okay how about this
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Strong no.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Funny timing, I was planning on picking this up today:

A golden stout with Lucky Charms, lactose cocoa nibs and coffee is much more appealing than an IPA with Lucky Charms, IMO. Bolero Snort has done a bunch of cereal beers. I liked their milk stout with Cocoa Pebbles, but passed on their IPA with Fruity Pebbles.

[ETA: Well fuck, turns out I really enjoyed the Fruity Pebbles beer. This is why I need Untappt. The lime zest made this one work]
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I mainly used Untappd to make sure that I haven't had a beer before if picking something new to try.

What's the consensus on blonde stouts? I've tried a few from our local golden boys WeldWerks, but wasn't all that impressed.

Perhaps I'm a classicist, but sort of like my tasting of brut IPAs, the blonde stouts just lack something.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I don't think they're the best thing ever but I think they are pretty good. Like you, I've had some from Weldwerks plus 4 Noses also had one that I thought was excellent.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I drink a lot of stouts, but I’ve never tasted a blonde stout. Something to look forward to?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:08 pm I drink a lot of stouts, but I’ve never tasted a blonde stout. Something to look forward to?
Worth trying, but nothing exciting. I don't know if it's just the few I've had, or a mental thing seeing the lighter color, but they were thinner and not as roasty. One had coffee, which was a great complement, but maybe covered the lack of roastiness in the base stout. Same flavor, but milder.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Last week I bought a triple IPA made by a small local brewer. It was the worst thing I have ever seen, filled with big chunks. Not "floaters," half-inch chunks.

So I sent a very polite email along with a picture of the beer and the sku number and the location of the store where I bought it.

You talk about customer service - apology email quickly followed with a request for my address so they could send me a gift card so I could give the beer another chance.

It's the second time that I have complained to a local brewer about a bad beer (the other one was brutally skunked) and the second time I have received such good service. They were both seemingly sincerely grateful that I took the time to let them know that their beers had issues.

Very impressed. Yet another reason why I will never consider buying from a huge brewery.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:27 pm Last week I bought a triple IPA made by a small local brewer. It was the worst thing I have ever seen, filled with big chunks. Not "floaters," half-inch chunks.

So I sent a very polite email along with a picture of the beer and the sku number and the location of the store where I bought it.

You talk about customer service - apology email quickly followed with a request for my address so they could send me a gift card so I could give the beer another chance.

It's the second time that I have complained to a local brewer about a bad beer (the other one was brutally skunked) and the second time I have received such good service. They were both seemingly sincerely grateful that I took the time to let them know that their beers had issues.

Very impressed. Yet another reason why I will never consider buying from a huge brewery.
I gave a local beer a bad rating on Untappd once and they messaged me saying they had several complaints about that (I got it at their brewery on tap) and told me to show this message to the bartender the next time I was there and they'd give me a free shirt or something. I guess you can't give beer away for free or something silly in Kentucky. I remember having to pay 25 cents for samples before for same reason. I actually haven't been back and would feel bad even trying to redeem that after so long.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

huge breweries also probably aren't screwing their beer up that badly
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Brovell.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:37 pm I actually haven't been back and would feel bad even trying to redeem that after so long.
I emailed a small local brewery (Magnify) once after a can release because the top of one of my cans wasn't sealed. I got a response within minutes from the owner telling me to introduce myself next time and he'd give me a free 4 pack. I felt weird collecting on it, and never said anything when I went back. The place was just starting to take off, and I felt bad taking advantage since I was reaching out to let them know since they were hiring a mobile canning company to come in and can for them at the time. I've heard the owner is a complete asshole from a couple people, but the customer service was stellar.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:05 pm huge breweries also probably aren't screwing their beer up that badly
Was the Bourbon County infection year under AB InBev?

It's actually not too uncommon to get significant yeast at the bottom of a bottle/can, especially in bottle conditioned beers.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Oh, yeah, I meant to post in here about a couple of experiences I had up in Frederick, MD, which has become a nice little microbrew haven.

1) Stopped by a place called House Cat Brewing, really only because the place I wanted to go (Attaboy Beer) was just too crowded. Holy shit was that beer bad. It was also really weird, because the tasting menu didn't categorize the beer. It had descriptions, but nothing as clear as "stout" or "IPA" or whatever. I mean, I got a flight and I STRUGGLED to get that stuff down. I'm Irish, so I wasn't going to just walk away, but that's about as close as I've ever come to leaving beer in the glass.

2) After that, I just wanted to (literally) cleanse my palete, so I headed over to Flying Dog for a sure bet. Did not disappoint. A number of beers that you could only buy there and a nice wide range to choose from. That place just does it right. Nice outdoor patio with a bunch of fire pits where you load your own wood. Also has an AMAZING food truck serving up burgers, fancy hot dogs and fries. Took a group back there just a few weeks later after my scouting trip turned out so well.

ETA - Flying Dog has really good regional coverage and I'm surprised they haven't been gobbled up by a big distributor. I'm told they are looking to move to an even bigger location and the owner really wants to stay "local." Will be interesting to see how that plays out.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:38 pm Oh, yeah, I meant to post in here about a couple of experiences I had up in Frederick, MD, which has become a nice little microbrew haven.

1) Stopped by a place called House Cat Brewing, really only because the place I wanted to go (Attaboy Beer) was just too crowded. Holy shit was that beer bad. It was also really weird, because the tasting menu didn't categorize the beer. It had descriptions, but nothing as clear as "stout" or "IPA" or whatever. I mean, I got a flight and I STRUGGLED to get that stuff down. I'm Irish, so I wasn't going to just walk away, but that's about as close as I've ever come to leaving beer in the glass.

2) After that, I just wanted to (literally) cleanse my palete, so I headed over to Flying Dog for a sure bet. Did not disappoint. A number of beers that you could only buy there and a nice wide range to choose from. That place just does it right. Nice outdoor patio with a bunch of fire pits where you load your own wood. Also has an AMAZING food truck serving up burgers, fancy hot dogs and fries. Took a group back there just a few weeks later after my scouting trip turned out so well.

ETA - Flying Dog has really good regional coverage and I'm surprised they haven't been gobbled up by a big distributor. I'm told they are looking to move to an even bigger location and the owner really wants to stay "local." Will be interesting to see how that plays out.
I have never been but generally have not loved their beers that you can get in the DC area. Tire Bitter, Raging B, Bloodline, dead rise (not enough Old bay), etc.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I like Bloodline a lot. I'm also a fan of The Truth, which is a pretty good IPA.

(I'm really mostly an IPA fan, though I do like a good Stout now and then.)
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:24 pmBrovell.
I've gone from beer snob to fuck it I like Budweiser and I'll buy that and Busch Light whenever I want

I don't buy macros when we go out for dinner/drinks. but I've got no problem stocking a shelf in my beer fridge with it
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Hey, it's your life and you're entitled to drink whatever you want. You've tasted many brands of beer, so it isn't because you aren't aware of your options. If you'd rather spend your money on Budweiser than craft beer that's your choice. I drink the odd Coors on a hot summer day myself. But, given the multitude of options I'd sure as hell never stock an entire shelf with Bud or Coors.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:49 pmI drink the odd Coors on a hot summer day myself.
Hell yeah me too 7, 9, 11, 13 hahahahahahaha!!!
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:38 pmETA - Flying Dog has really good regional coverage and I'm surprised they haven't been gobbled up by a big distributor. I'm told they are looking to move to an even bigger location and the owner really wants to stay "local."
I can't fathom anyone expanding at this point. I'm still waiting to see some major failures from places that are shipping to areas where demand is now being met locally.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:59 pm
sancarlos wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:49 pmI drink the odd Coors on a hot summer day myself.
Hell yeah me too 7, 9, 11, 13 hahahahahahaha!!!
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:38 pmETA - Flying Dog has really good regional coverage and I'm surprised they haven't been gobbled up by a big distributor. I'm told they are looking to move to an even bigger location and the owner really wants to stay "local."
I can't fathom anyone expanding at this point. I'm still waiting to see some major failures from places that are shipping to areas where demand is now being met locally.
So true. With so many great locals now, I rarely buy anything from outside NJ or NYC, with the occasional Vermont or MA beer when friends make beer runs and bring me back stuff. All the beers that topped my list 5 years ago, I don't even drink. Nugget Nectar and HopSlam were passed over. I used to get excited for the Limited Releases from Founders, Boulevard, Stone, Lagunitas and the like, now I don't even look. There are still a couple I'll get when I see them, but I used to look at all those breweries websites for their annual release schedules and check beer forums to find out when they hit my area.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Flying Dog used to be here in Colorado and is pretty big, like top 50 craft breweries at least...we still get some here, but I can't say I've had one since they moved East. I used to drink one of there beers back in the day, but don't recall what.

Weird on House Cat, they have some middle of the road beers at least according to the hipsters on BA, but 7$ for a 5 oz taster? Fucking hell.

I've only not been able to drink two craft beers. A lime something at Denver Beer a few years ago, and a mint (!) IPA at someplace in Waltham that they knew was shite (the bartender gave me a sample before she'd pour the pint.)

I typically am a beer snob of sorts, though I generally get a shelf DIPA if I'm adrinkin' and can force down a tall boy of Kers with the boys. I won't touch Coors/Bud Light though and am not big on Corona/Rolling Rock/other macros.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, that contraction of regional beers is definitely a thing. There's just so much good beer locally for most of the country that is pushing out efforts to get into (or stay in) markets outside of your area. I think the only area of the country that was still kind of open to that is the midwest, but I recall reading somewhere that they are starting to really catch-up the last 4 or 5 years.

Anyways, it's a weird thing: The craft brew guys have been preaching locally so much, for so long, that efforts to get into outside markets is almost a non-starter... Unless you get picked up by one of the 3 big boys, which, you know... That's a whole thing, as has been pounded into the dirt here and elsewhere.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:32 pm Flying Dog used to be here in Colorado and is pretty big, like top 50 craft breweries at least...we still get some here, but I can't say I've had one since they moved East. I used to drink one of there beers back in the day, but don't recall what.

Weird on House Cat, they have some middle of the road beers at least according to the hipsters on BA, but 7$ for a 5 oz taster? Fucking hell.

I've only not been able to drink two craft beers. A lime something at Denver Beer a few years ago, and a mint (!) IPA at someplace in Waltham that they knew was shite (the bartender gave me a sample before she'd pour the pint.)

I typically am a beer snob of sorts, though I generally get a shelf DIPA if I'm adrinkin' and can force down a tall boy of Kers with the boys. I won't touch Coors/Bud Light though and am not big on Corona/Rolling Rock/other macros.
Interesting! I (obviously) didn't know they started in CO. I'll tell you what, they do a fucking fantastic job of marketing their stuff... Their apparel is all MD flag and/or Caps related. Savvy stuff.

And I don't know what to tell you about House Cat, man. Like I said, I'm not a super picky guy, but that stuff was GROSS. And I had 5 different tasters in my flight. And, like, I know it is their gimmick, but having your cat lounge around on the actual bar was... I like cats just fine, but they are nasty. I don't need your cat's paws and anus all up near my beer.

Oh, the other thing that really turned me off to that place, with at least 2 of the drinks, they gave you a Hershey's kiss or a Skittle or some shit to "pair" with the beer. I was like, it makes it taste better, but really? It's like with Corona, I shouldn't have to pry a lime wedge down the bottle's throat for this to taste better. That's a bad sign.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:33 pm Unless you get picked up by one of the 3 big boys, which, you know... That's a whole thing, as has been pounded into the dirt here and elsewhere.
Crooked Stave here in CO and I believe Brooklyn in well Brooklyn have some distro deals with smaller breweries to do some limited distro in far-flung areas, like I think Crooked Stave is available in NY and other east coast places, and we get some Decadent Ales, Old Nation Brewing, and the like here.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:45 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:33 pm Unless you get picked up by one of the 3 big boys, which, you know... That's a whole thing, as has been pounded into the dirt here and elsewhere.
Crooked Stave here in CO and I believe Brooklyn in well Brooklyn have some distro deals with smaller breweries to do some limited distro in far-flung areas, like I think Crooked Stave is available in NY and other east coast places, and we get some Decadent Ales, Old Nation Brewing, and the like here.
Crooked Stave is all over NJ.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I have Budweiser, Urban Chestnut, Bell's, Martin City, Prairie, Tallgrass, Boulevard and Guinness all in my fridge now. that's off the top of my head, too.

also, the lord made 30 oz yeti cups so you can drink two beers at a time
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:34 pm

100 percent. Also acceptable for bourbon but it’s hard to get the ratios right.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:49 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:34 pm

100 percent. Also acceptable for bourbon but it’s hard to get the ratios right.
29 oz bourbon, 1 oz air. Pretty simple math.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Also good for a couple Ale-8-One between bourbons, amiright?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I drink almost exclusively bourbon and ginger ale but I don’t go out of my way for ale 8 one despite it being a Kentucky thing. Mostly because vernors and Canada Dry are caffeine free
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Bourbon and ginger are what I call a Presbetyrian. One of my favourite drinks.

Only had 7 Ale-8-Ones in my life. 6 you sent me and one I found at a random store. I do know that I could be arrested in KY for mixing it with bourbon.