Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by Brontoburglar »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:11 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:18 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:34 am Founders KBS turned up at my local Costco.
Just 5 years ago, I went out hunting for KBS. Or just driving out on the day it released in my area. Now, it'll sit on the shelves for months. Not sure if they make that much more of it, or if the luster wore off, or if there are just a ot more comparable beers available. Probably all three combined. It's a great beer, don't get me wrong, but I have no interest in buying it anymore. Fuck, I still have several bottles from 2 years ago I never got to.
I don't actively go out looking for stuff, but the KBS was a very pleasant surprise, as I have only had it once previously. There is usually something good available at Costco (Southern Tier always, usually something from Stone - I got a case of their IPA there last month - or another good brewery) or there are a couple nearby grocery stores to hit up.

Ended up picking up three bottles. One will get cracked when my dad visits at the end of the month and one will go home with him to go to my step-sister's husband.
got the southern tier smores yesterday as well as the KBS ($3 off!) at my local liquor store. tried both last night during our belated mother's day. I had high KBS expectations and they were met
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

KBS IS still a great beer, it's just more available because the seekers have moved on to the next and newest thing. It was hard to find here this year, but Founders is relatively new to the CO scene.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:40 pm KBS IS still a great beer, it's just more available because the seekers have moved on to the next and newest thing. It was hard to find here this year, but Founders is relatively new to the CO scene.
have you purchased the summer boulder/denver/mountain passport(s) for 2019 yet?

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but we love the KC passport -- it's a book full of buy one get one drink coupons at 58 bars and coffee shops around here. it's available in CO, KC, StL, DC, Minneapolis and Madison and is incredibly worth it. $25 and good through September. makes for cheap weekday date nights when we want to get out of the house.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nesfoundland's Finest Craft Brewery

It's really a place in Newfoundland.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:14 pm have you purchased the summer boulder/denver/mountain passport(s) for 2019 yet?
I haven't, but have in the past and have friends that purchase. Two small kids makes it hard to get out for a drink.
If we can, we typically hit up the breweries within a few miles of the house (there are 6) so we'd burn through the local coupons quick.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

and the vitriol that this list caused on various beer sites was comical.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Hoisted a few pints in one of the best craft beer bars in the country with Mr. BSF. Good, no great man. Met Mrs. BSF afterwards, and believe him when he states he outkicked his coverage.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:09 am believe him when he states he outkicked his coverage.
Gotta be honest, that could be the Swamp motto.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Giff wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:00 am
Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:09 am believe him when he states he outkicked his coverage.
Gotta be honest, that could be the Swamp motto.
I thought about the edit, but didn't want to walk back down stairs.

Sadly, there aren't Latin words for everything:

et outkicked suum coverage
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Scofflaw Brewing Co out of Atl has my second favorite can art I’ve ever seen with their ‘Dirty Beaches’ Tropical wheat. Stunning can, and the beer is great for a steamy summer eve.

I may be silly, but can design and artwork is something I really dig. I’m also extremely anal about doing everything I can to avoid beers that do the plastic labels on their cans. It’s incredibly irresponsible when it comes to sustainability, and adds at a minimum 300% to the landfill contribution to the can recycling loop. It basically devalues the scrap value of the can by 15%, and makes many places less willing to recycle cans. Separate soapbox, but can recycling rates in the US are an embarrassment. We are down below a 50% recycling rate and dropping. Can recycling isn’t perfect, but it is FAR and away the greenest method for mass distribution of safe hydration. We are far behind many even second world economies.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Cellarmaker

Specifically the House of Pizza.

Phenomenal.

Was in Santa Cruz for work. Hit up the HoP while killing time for a redeye. Loved it.

If in vicinity, definitely find a way to check it out.

Beer and Pizza? Great.

Had the Bourbon barrel aged Coffee and Cigarettes. Stellar!!
oh shit...
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Having our annual shindig at the end of August. Finally finished the last of 3 batches of homebrew tonight...god they take so much longer than they should...

Bottling a 14% Belgian Quad, a 7% dark French saison that we're ageing on mountain picked raspberries and brewed tonight a double IPA that the base is loosely on Harpoon's DIPA but with a bigger and more diversified hop bill that's going in a keg.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

My former bosses' brew pub is going out of business after 9 years. They have several medals from the GABF but just could not turn a profit. Northern VA rental space (combined with a downgrade in food quality) put them under.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:14 am My former bosses' brew pub is going out of business after 9 years. They have several medals from the GABF but just could not turn a profit. Northern VA rental space (combined with a downgrade in food quality) put them under.
Lots of places here (Denver particularly) are either closing or reopening under new ownership because of the rent problem. An old coworker wanted to open a shared space that had shared tanks and then rented small taprooms for individual brewers/breweries.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:02 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:14 am My former bosses' brew pub is going out of business after 9 years. They have several medals from the GABF but just could not turn a profit. Northern VA rental space (combined with a downgrade in food quality) put them under.
Lots of places here (Denver particularly) are either closing or reopening under new ownership because of the rent problem. An old coworker wanted to open a shared space that had shared tanks and then rented small taprooms for individual brewers/breweries.
Well that and competition. When my boss' place opened up there were 40 breweries in the state. There are now 240 (3 within 2 miles) and way more decent food options nearby.

Union Craft (Baltimore) owning the building and being the anchor tenant is an interesting move to try and address the rent issue. However, my college roommate is a real estate banker and could not make the numbers work for his bank to write the loan.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

240? LOL. We're hovering around 400.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:47 pm 240? LOL. We're hovering around 400.
Well, Colorado is bigger.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

There are so many places around the country to get good beer nowadays. Almost anywhere. We are truly living in a golden age for beer drinkers. I was in Bend, Oregon a couple weeks ago, and our server at one brewpub told us there were 20 in that town. The guy at the next place said it was 30 of them.

But, the rent thing is a problem where I live, too. We have three breweries in San Carlos, and they are all in the industrial area, for that reason.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:53 pm There are so many places around the country to get good beer nowadays. Almost anywhere. We are truly living in a golden age for beer drinkers. I was in Bend, Oregon a couple weeks ago, and our server at one brewpub told us there were 20 in that town. The guy at the next place said it was 30 of them.

But, the rent thing is a problem where I live, too. We have three breweries in San Carlos, and they are all in the industrial area, for that reason.
We have two less than a mile from each other in the old part of my hometown that are both outstanding. My hometown has 11,000 people in the city limits (old part), but the are considered Katy has the population of Pittsburgh and there's at least three more within that area. I can name nearly a dozen craft breweries in Houston off the top of my head. Apparently Austin has over 35.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Giff wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:51 pm
They have 3 million more people. About 2/3 of the breweries in CO are in the Front Range city strip, which is smaller than VA sizewise.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Giff wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:58 pm
sancarlos wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:53 pm There are so many places around the country to get good beer nowadays. Almost anywhere. We are truly living in a golden age for beer drinkers. I was in Bend, Oregon a couple weeks ago, and our server at one brewpub told us there were 20 in that town. The guy at the next place said it was 30 of them.

We have two less than a mile from each other in the old part of my hometown that are both outstanding. My hometown has 11,000 people in the city limits (old part), but the are considered Katy has the population of Pittsburgh and there's at least three more within that area. I can name nearly a dozen craft breweries in Houston off the top of my head. Apparently Austin has over 35.
I live in suburbia between Boulder/Denver we have a stellar, like world-class, brewery 2 miles away..and then about 10 within a 10-15 minute drive. 50 or 60 within a 30-minute drive. It's insane. Across the street from the local place is a taproom that only has CO craft on tap. 80 taps. My wife grew up in a tiny ass town outside Steamboat. They have a brewery...with a barrel and sour project!.. in a town of ~2000 or so.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:05 pm
Giff wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:51 pm
They have 3 million more people. About 2/3 of the breweries in CO are in the Front Range city strip, which is smaller than VA sizewise.
I thought he was in Maryland. Which still has more people than CO. I'll see myself out now.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:05 pm About 2/3 of the breweries in CO are in the Front Range city strip, which is smaller than VA sizewise.
I-25 bisects Colorado, and IIRC, something like 90% of the state's population lives within 20 miles of that highway. (I'm sure Rush can clarify.)
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:53 pmThere are so many places around the country to get good beer nowadays. Almost anywhere.
Even the grocery store in my mother's Ohio town of 17K has two shelving units of non-domestic macrobrews (it included a few Labatt's and Molson offerings). I even got Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA pints for $4 at one restaurant (#EagleCreek, sabo).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:50 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:05 pm About 2/3 of the breweries in CO are in the Front Range city strip, which is smaller than VA sizewise.
I-25 bisects Colorado, and IIRC, something like 90% of the state's population lives within 20 miles of that highway. (I'm sure Rush can clarify.)
There's nothing but Grand Junction of note anywhere else, and as you know there isn't much to note about GJ.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A brewer friend is putting together 4 different Berliners as part of his place's anniversary and asked me for flavor suggestions. What say ye, Swamp?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So far, I've come up with Passion Fruit, Lime and Jalapeno, sweet tarts, cherry, grapefruit, sour watermelon, guava.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pickle is what is hot, yo.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You motherfuckers have pluots down there?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Also, GABF must be bringing them in...I've been bombarded by ads and emails. I'm volunteering two nights and going the third. Lay off GABF.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pouring for Russian River at GABF, woot woot!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:29 pm Pouring for Russian River at GABF, woot woot!
Plenty of Pliny?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

More interested in their sour and barrel-aged offerings. Not too hard to track down Pliny in CO.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:29 pm Pouring for Russian River at GABF, woot woot!
Pour some and ship it to me!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:14 pm I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but we love the KC passport -- it's a book full of buy one get one drink coupons at 58 bars and coffee shops around here. it's available in CO, KC, StL, DC, Minneapolis and Madison and is incredibly worth it. $25 and good through September. makes for cheap weekday date nights when we want to get out of the house.
we made it to 30 of the 52 bars. not a bad effort.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:04 pm
If you want Pliny we get a shipment every month or so, the -tions are a bit harder to get but they come around. Let me know what ya want.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:28 am
If you want Pliny we get a shipment every month or so, the -tions are a bit harder to get but they come around. Let me know what ya want.
Syb, I'm going up to Sonoma County for a few days in November. If you are coming out to the Bay Area anytime soon, I could get some for you to take home.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:51 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:28 am
Syb, I'm going up to Sonoma County for a few days in November. If you are coming out to the Bay Area anytime soon, I could get some for you to take home.
I really appreciate the offer, but I don't think I'll get to the Bay Area anytime soon. They held my conference in LA this year, but it's back in Burlingame next November. Hold the month open...
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt