The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by Rush2112 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:52 pm Read in the last week that Pliney from Russian River was available for shipping, but appears to be California only..and price point was a bit crazy

They're canning it now as well. It comes through CO every month or so, I'll pick up a bottle if I see it, as it's usually around 6$ so well worth it.

SC, as for your past question about a fridge stocker what are you looking for? Something that you can get wherever? An easy drinker? Something that one or two would suffice or something to tip into if the fam is out of town?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:03 pm SC, as for your past question about a fridge stocker what are you looking for? Something that you can get wherever? An easy drinker? Something that one or two would suffice or something to tip into if the fam is out of town?
I meant an everyday beer that isn't too pricey. I usually opt for an IPA and/or Euro pilsner for that. (Last time I was at Costco I bought a case of Stone IPAs and a twelve pack of Pilsner Urquel.) I usually have a few "special" nice beers in the fridge, too, but not as much quantity for that.

Even though I posted that quite awhile ago, my stock is again getting low now, so your input is appreciated.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I like the Deschutes Fresh Squeezed and the New Belgium Voodoo Ranger line for beers (I prefer the DIPA to the regular IPA and my wife just got me some of the 1985 IPA which was easy drinking, all most to a fault) that are relatively cheap and not to bad on the tastes buds (and available pretty much everywhere.)

Euro pils, I'm not up as much as they aren't my cup of tea, but I'm sure they haven't changed since I was last into them like 20 years ago, that said I'm sure that there's a good CA pils as it's the new thing brewers gotta brew.... a quick look and it seems like Moonlight Brewing in Santa Rosa is top of the charts currently.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:43 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:03 pm SC, as for your past question about a fridge stocker what are you looking for? Something that you can get wherever? An easy drinker? Something that one or two would suffice or something to tip into if the fam is out of town?
I meant an everyday beer that isn't too pricey. I usually opt for an IPA and/or Euro pilsner for that. (Last time I was at Costco I bought a case of Stone IPAs and a twelve pack of Pilsner Urquel.) I usually have a few "special" nice beers in the fridge, too, but not as much quantity for that.

Even though I posted that quite awhile ago, my stock is again getting low now, so your input is appreciated.
It's amazing how difficult this is to answer now. With so many amazing new breweries opening in NJ and the addition of beers from small breweries in neighboring states, I buy almost exclusively from the locals. It's not a snobbery thing, but there are so many great ones, and they are making so many create and unique beers constantly, so I can't even come close to trying all the ones I want to try, so when I do buy, I don't even look at the more massed produced always available beers. And when I do buy an old classic, I always end up thinking of Mr. D saying "this beer is an example of how much better beer has gotten over the last 'x' years." I actually get a little sad when I see beers I used to track the release dates and hunt down sitting on the shelves for months. I usually think "that's one of my all-time favorites, I'll buy it next time," then the next time I go, there are 10 new beers I can't decide between, and I pass on the Bell's Hopslam or Troeg's Nugget Nectar or whatever. The local beers use less stable ingredients that are much better fresh than other beers, but don't travel well or stay good for long. The nationally available beers just don't taste as good, but they withstand travel and don't lose nearly as much over time.

That said, it's hard to think of a great nationally available beer off the top of my head. 5 years ago, I would have easily rattled off 15 suggestions. If you are looking for an IPA, I think Alpine is among the best. They are from CA, so I'd imagine it's available. For Belgians and lately some really creative brews, Allagash. Stone was always solid, especially with IPAs. I used to love watching Founders and Boulevard and several others for their annual limited releases. They were almost always great, but I just haven't kept up or even bought them when available. Backwoods Bastard used to be one of my favorites, and I'd stockpile it when it came out. Never needed to hunt for it, but it always sold out fast. When they started making it year round, I always knew I could find it, and I don't think I've bought it since. I also don't love it as much, and I still have some aging for over 5 years, and it's much better with age, so I'm not tempted to buy fresh bottles.

All that said, I made my first trip out to a store since early February and bought a sixer of an old classic I've been eyeing for years. Six Point Resin. It's a super-bitter (over 100 IBU), piney IPA that blew me away years ago when I first tried it. I still love the West Coast style of IPA, and it's very rare to see any locals making it. Six Point is HQ'd in Brooklyn, but I don't consider them local anymore since they turned into a huge operation. [I was going to say I thought they opened a huge brewery somewhere in NC or VA, but now I see they were bought out by a group that owns Southern Tier and Victory]. Resin was once a special beer to me, now it's a "I'm not sure I will finish another beer tonight, so if I have to dump half that's fine" end of the night beer. It tastes exactly as I remembered it, and it's just as good, but it just isn't close to being as good as the local stuff.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I'm pretty sure I told an elaborate story about almost qualifying for the US open to Sabo's neighbor over some Six Point Resin. There were other resins used that evening as well.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

A_B wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am I'm pretty sure I told an elaborate story about almost qualifying for the US open to Sabo's neighbor over some Six Point Resin. There were other resins used that evening as well.
It was arguably the best bullshit story I ever heard.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Sabo wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:31 am
A_B wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am I'm pretty sure I told an elaborate story about almost qualifying for the US open to Sabo's neighbor over some Six Point Resin. There were other resins used that evening as well.
It was arguably the best bullshit story I ever heard.
That fucking sand trap on 17, man.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Not crazy about their pick of Green Bench over Cycle, for the Rays, but I do like the Angry Chair honorable mention.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I might try, but I hate wheat beers. I wish Oskar Blue's would bring back Deviant Dales, just a fantastic DIPA.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I'll try that when it hits the $3 pour list.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Great design. Would not open.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:49 pm I might try, but I hate wheat beers. I wish Oskar Blue's would bring back Deviant Dales, just a fantastic DIPA.
IIRC, Deviant Dales has summit hops, and I just don't like summit. I wonder if it's like people who think cilantro tastes like soap, and I just taste it differently, or if other people just like the taste.

I used to think I hated wheat beers, but I've discovered a lot of IPAs I like are actually wheat based. My friend was at Trillium talking to a brewer, and said he didn't like wheat beers. Brewer laughed and said people tell him that all the time, but most of their IPAs are wheat.
-Pruitt
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:04 am Image
I stopped by OB's taproom on Monday...was actually disappointed they didn't have it on tap.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:15 pmI used to think I hated wheat beers, but I've discovered a lot of IPAs I like are actually wheat based. My friend was at Trillium talking to a brewer, and said he didn't like wheat beers. Brewer laughed and said people tell him that all the time, but most of their IPAs are wheat.
Its the yeast, right?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:11 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:15 pmI used to think I hated wheat beers, but I've discovered a lot of IPAs I like are actually wheat based. My friend was at Trillium talking to a brewer, and said he didn't like wheat beers. Brewer laughed and said people tell him that all the time, but most of their IPAs are wheat.
Its the yeast, right?
The yeast used in traditional wheat beers that turns people off? Hadn't thought about it, but it could be.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, I remember when I first started seeing "wheat" or "wheated" on IPAs I thought I'd hate them but it wasn't nearly the same experience and I'm pretty sure wheats and hefes use diff yeast.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

They add a minuscule amount of wheat for head retention or in place of oats to modify mouth feel (esp in NEIPAs.) The wheat beer I don't like is indeed because of the yeast.

I can appreciate a good hefe, but don't care to drink more than a sip, I went on a Hefe bender during my divorce, no need to go down that route again, and for other wheats, I don't need to be reminded my beer is liquid bread.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

SFGate wrote:Imperial stouts have been selling out at breweries all across this country this summer, because of a new beer initiative called Black is Beautiful, a mission-driven beer project where breweries donate sales to police reform and racial-equity organizations... More than 40 breweries in the Northern California region are making this particular style of imperial stout right now under the Black is Beautiful campaign

The project comes from brewer Marcus Baskerville of Weathered Souls Brewing Co. in San Antonio, Texas, and it challenges craft breweries around the world to release an imperial stout based on Baskerville’s recipe — and send 100% of the sales proceeds to local nonprofits...All of the Black is Beautiful beers share that common foundation, but each is unique. Baskerville encourages breweries to give his recipe their own twist...
The local brewery we favor is participating in this, so we bought a couple quarts of this beer to support the cause. Tasty.

Full story
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:30 am
SFGate wrote:Imperial stouts have been selling out at breweries all across this country this summer, because of a new beer initiative called Black is Beautiful, a mission-driven beer project where breweries donate sales to police reform and racial-equity organizations... More than 40 breweries in the Northern California region are making this particular style of imperial stout right now under the Black is Beautiful campaign

The project comes from brewer Marcus Baskerville of Weathered Souls Brewing Co. in San Antonio, Texas, and it challenges craft breweries around the world to release an imperial stout based on Baskerville’s recipe — and send 100% of the sales proceeds to local nonprofits...All of the Black is Beautiful beers share that common foundation, but each is unique. Baskerville encourages breweries to give his recipe their own twist...
The local brewery we favor is participating in this, so we bought a couple quarts of this beer to support the cause. Tasty.

Full story
Blue Oak? At least one NJ Brewery joined this campaign. There have been a few other fund raising campaigns, where breweries all make the same recipe with proceeds going towards a cause. Cool concept.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think Four City has released and Twin Elephant has brewed but not released yet?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think you could pull a dictionary out and pick out any two words together and it would sound like a craft brew company, or at least one of their beers.

Hopeless Panther
Sasquatch Payday
Two-edged Complaint
Ivory Commotion
Domestic Shroud
Lusty Stock
Floss Beware

Try it, it's fun!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

coagulated semen
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Pantry Stack
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Decided I'd make sure I got some brews I haven't had while traveling up to Boston this week. We were stopped in Wilkes Barre last night, so I ran into a wegmans (first time, it was legit an awesome store) and wanted to make a sixer of local brews. Nope, most of the singles were shit you can get anywhere. I guess that makes sense because the smaller places need ot move inventory. So I bought a four pack of Neshaming Creek The Shape of Hops to Come IIPA. Out of Croyden, PA. Really really good! I liked it a lot.

Tonight was in Chestnut Hill and Grabbed Some Jacks Abby Boston Rising DOuble Hoppy Lager. Has a weird first taste (actually it's probably the odor), but I think I like it. Second four pack I got was an Internal Quality Chocolate stout. Had a sample and liked it but will probably just have that at home cause it's not a "move in all day and then kick back with a refreshing beer" vibe. ALso bought some Winter HIll Mosaica but it is currently on chill. Will try that one tomorrow night. Same thing that the custom sixers are all national beers. Pass.

wanted to go to Trillium but they aren't open on either MOndays or Tuesdays. PLanning fail.

All out of Pantry Stack, though.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

There is a much better (albeit silly expensive) beer store and a brewery within maybe a mile of that Wegmans.

(And a strip club that advertises free burgers and fries.)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:22 pm There is a much better (albeit silly expensive) beer store and a brewery within maybe a mile of that Wegmans.

(And a strip club that advertises free burgers and fries.)
Can you just skip beating around the lack of bush at the strip club and tell me what it is?

(I did have to get some actually grocery things is why i ended up at Wegmans again)

Oh. Did you mean Wilkes Barre? Cause I think I saw the strip club i so.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Oregon and Washington have some great brews and I’m taking full advantage on this trip.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:32 pm Oregon and Washington have some great brews and I’m taking full advantage on this trip.
Yeah I didn't want to binge on bourbon without the old lady around to hel shoulder the driving load. Now considering taking Thursday off as well and going to Niagara Falls on the way back home instead of just powering through.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Blanchards is pretty close to BU and has a pretty good selection. I think that there's a Craft Beer Cellar over there as well.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Comm Ave, baby! Short walk from my old place.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:32 pm Oregon and Washington have some great brews and I’m taking full advantage on this trip.
Yes we do.

I've become a big fan of the No-Li brewery in Spokane (next to Gonzaga). Good stuff.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Got some Great Lakes Burning River while I’m back in Detroit. One of my first two or three craft beer loves along with Sierra Nevada.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Yes they do. What are your favorites?

I dig on everything from Georgetown...and lately I've really gotten into stuff from Reubens. On the nano-brew level, Rooftop, Cloudburst, Lucky Envelope, and Ravenna are all great.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:35 pm
Yes they do. What are your favorites?

I dig on everything from Georgetown...and lately I've really gotten into stuff from Reubens. On the nano-brew level, Rooftop, Cloudburst, Lucky Envelope, and Ravenna are all great.
I feel like a saw a Ravenna around here. But that doesn’t sound right if they are a nano.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Are you thinking of the ravens? They played on TV last week.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Splurged on some hopslam. Chilling now.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nugget nectar here, speaking of seasonals.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

They were keeping the hopslam behind the counter because they got just 12 sixers. Would have preferred it to be cold when I got it but about to crack one.

Zombie dust is the only other beer I’ve seen them do this at that location (which is next to my main grocery).