The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by mister d »

I thought it was stupid. If you have any regular sculpin, you can mix it to make it palatable.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

I don't know if I would say 'stupid.' Maybe just an interesting idea that wasn't executed well. I had that Dogfish Head beer with wasabi a couple of years ago, and it was much more muted. I didn't notice the heat until the beer warmed.

I just saw it mentioned on the previous page that Ballast Point was bought by a multi-national. I had either forgotten or didn't know that. Sad!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yup. That's probably the most not-bought beer for me of the last ~2 years. Or Founders All Day. Tough one to take.

A good hot beer can be great but when you turn it into Bad Ass Bob's Fucking Lava IPA its dumb. A blood orange habanero I had in Charleston was pretty amazing. Citrus + peppers is very good.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I barely liked the Pineapple Sculpin. Anything after the grapefruit was just like "quit while you're ahead"

Had Otter Creek Free Flow tonight. It's in my top 3 for "beers that taste like that"
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Otter Creek was my gateway craft beer, back when I had limits on how much I was willing to spend on this stuff. 'It looks like the same thing, and it's $10 cheaper, so I'll buy this.' From what I've read, they've kind of raised their game in recent years.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh? I never got into them. And I think someone said Long Trail had a really good IPA out now too, which is weird. New England had so many truly shitty craft breweries for a long while.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Yeah, I was going to mention Long Trail in that post. I might be conflating the two. I mean, if you're drinking Maine and Alchemist every day, you won't be impressed, but they're both perfectly fine.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Hopslam 2017. Just as good as I remember. Canned on the 17th.

Next up the Stone Enjoy By 02.14.17 - Chocolate and Coffee IPA. Interesting.

Also, saw that New Belgium rebranded the Slow Ride, Ranger and Rampant into a three level IPA offering with VooDoo in the name. Changed the recipe a little and I can say that the new version of the Ranger is pretty nice.

Oh and Nugget Nectar of course.
oh shit...
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

I should buy Hop Slam this year. Haven't had it in ages. Same goes for Nugget Nectar. The beer world has grown and changed so much, and it's weird to feel nostalgia for things I drank in, like, 2010.

I used to do a better job of cataloguing stuff. I'm going to comb thru my memory tomorrow and see if I can remember stuff I've tried in the past year or so.

Here's a recommendation: Harpoon's porter. It's a basic low-ABV porter, nothing that's going to get a lot of attention, but it's very good. It tastes like a beer version of chocolate milk. If that sounds like your thing, give it a shot.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I got a couple sixers each of Alesmith Nut Brown Ale and Lagunitas Brown Shugga. So I'm good for awhile.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Alesmith is probably the most underrated "big" brewery.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote:I got a couple sixers each of Alesmith Nut Brown Ale and Lagunitas Brown Shugga. So I'm good for awhile.
Does "awhile" mean, "til sunday"?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Alesmith is probably the most underrated "big" brewery.
You think it's underrated? I thought it had a reputation as a top tier "big" brewery. Deserved, from what I've tried.

My parent's picked up some Hop Slam for me this week. Didn't even hit the shelf yet, but my Mom actually asked when it was coming in, and they just got that morning. I'm so proud of her. Just 2 more weeks until they visit. I hope it's still good by then (mostly kidding).
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Lagunitas has opened a small brewery/tap room here in Seattle. Our "Pedal for a Pint" group from work went on Wednesday evening. Place was pretty cool, and the beer was fantastic.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

HopSlam is coming to Colorado!!!

As for Alesmith, I think it does fly a bit under the radar. Aside from Speedway I don't see people going all nuts for it, though they have some really strong stuff.

In regards to the old guard VT breweries, they have upped their game. Long Trail and especially Otter Creek have vastly improved / rebranded / etc.

I tried the NB Voodoo replacement for Rampant. Wasn't that impressed. Makes me sad, Rampant was the not bad DIPA that I could get at the place at the end of my street for 8$ a sixer when I just needed some beer and didn't want to drive to the awesome bottle shop on the other side of the highway.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote:You think it's underrated? I thought it had a reputation as a top tier "big" brewery. Deserved, from what I've tried.
I don't know? Never heard too much hype versus the rest of the CAs, most of which are now owned, but I'd put them a clear tier above.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:
The Sybian wrote:You think it's underrated? I thought it had a reputation as a top tier "big" brewery. Deserved, from what I've tried.
I don't know? Never heard too much hype versus the rest of the CAs, most of which are now owned, but I'd put them a clear tier above.
Maybe NJ was sleeping on Alesmith because it just arrived in the past 6 months or so.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Just had two good ones at the local brewery. Knotty pine IPA is excellent from country boy if you're ever close enough to find one.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Stout month lineup for those that will be in CO in Feb.

https://www.porchdrinking.com/articles/ ... th-lineup/
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

28 house stouts???
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote:28 house stouts???
It's pretty crazy. Glad they have the 5 locations so you can actually get in once in awhile.

BTW PDX I know it's on the other side of town for you, but Under The Sun is typically a little less crowded. We should get together for a couple of pints sometime.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

tonight is the night to see how this year's batch of Hopslam turned out
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Hopslam 20 bucks here.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote:Hopslam 20 bucks here.
I paid $18 for a 6. It was really good. I'll probably have another today. Only took two over to my brother's and gave the other to the SIL.

I'll have a better verdict after more.

I offset this by finding pint cans of guinness at Costco for $25 a case. that's a steal.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Rush2112 wrote:
mister d wrote:28 house stouts???
It's pretty crazy. Glad they have the 5 locations so you can actually get in once in awhile.

BTW PDX I know it's on the other side of town for you, but Under The Sun is typically a little less crowded. We should get together for a couple of pints sometime.
I'm down. Actually never been there.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Had GI Bourbon County today. All it's cracked up to be. Brought home a small growler as well.

Also had KBS. Very good but not quite as good as GI.
oh shit...
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Had a couple of Hopslams on tap tonight. Very good, but while I'll pay the 6 for a pint if I find it again, don't think I'd seek it out. Like a few freely available locals more.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:
A_B wrote:Hopslam 20 bucks here.
I paid $18 for a 6. It was really good. I'll probably have another today. Only took two over to my brother's and gave the other to the SIL.

I'll have a better verdict after more.

I offset this by finding pint cans of guinness at Costco for $25 a case. that's a steal.
Problem there is you are stuck with a case of Guinness.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote:
favorite non-niche beer by far. I can drink Guinness like water.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote:
The Sybian wrote: Problem there is you are stuck with a case of Guinness.
This is a bit of a non-sequitur I'll admit, but that comment reminds me of the first time A) I ever drank Guinness, and B) I ever drank with Irishmen. I had recently moved to California and knew very few people. So, when the brother of the Irish admin for my department asked me if I wanted to go out with him and his friend for a couple beers after work, I was happy to join them. At the Irish pub, we each got a pint of Guinness. I think I was finishing my second sip when one of them said to the other, "That was great. Everybody ready for another?"
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Just busting balls.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Can't remember who it was on FB that suggested I check out local Seattle brewery Cloudburst. My work "Pedal For A Pint Wednesday" group went there last night, and the "Alternative Facts" IPA was fantastic. Subtle flavor, not overbearingly hoppy like so many IPA's.

Didn't have the courage to try the "Swedish Prison Orgy" Triple IPA.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Can't remember who it was on FB that suggested I check out local Seattle brewery Cloudburst. My work "Pedal For A Pint Wednesday" group went there last night, and the "Alternative Facts" IPA was fantastic. Subtle flavor, not overbearingly hoppy like so many IPA's.

'Twas me. Glad you enjoyed.

I like the doubles and triple IPAs a lot more these days. I don't mind hops, but I need some malt backbone.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Rush2112 wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:Can't remember who it was on FB that suggested I check out local Seattle brewery Cloudburst. My work "Pedal For A Pint Wednesday" group went there last night, and the "Alternative Facts" IPA was fantastic. Subtle flavor, not overbearingly hoppy like so many IPA's.

'Twas me. Glad you enjoyed.

I like the doubles and triple IPAs a lot more these days. I don't mind hops, but I need some malt backbone.
The alcohol content of the doubles and triples kind of puts me off when I have to either drive or ride my bike home.

Place was pretty cool...in a warehouse type space that used to be a bike shop, about 2 blocks from the Pike Place Market. Very busy.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Walmart Craft Beer not so Craft...rather it is just Genny. But solid name for a brewery "Trouble Brewing"
http://www.avclub.com/article/walmart-b ... ery-250375
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm on my 11th dry day due to this stupid illness. Longest complete break in a while.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Walmart Craft Beer not so Craft...rather it is just Genny. But solid name for a brewery "Trouble Brewing"
Speaking of craft beer that isn't really craft beer... the other day the wife and I visited a local pub for a pint. The bartendress told me that the night before they had done a promotion for Trooper beer, an English brew that is made by Robinson's Brewery but according to the website it's "created by" (I shit you not) the aging metal band, Iron Maiden. So, the label and promotion swag are all Iron Maiden-related. I'm not sure how that relationship works and I guess I don't care. The beer was a passable stout but nothing special. (It comes in other styles too). And, for buying a pint, they let me keep the logo glass and gave me some stickers and stuff. So, I got that going for me. Which is... nice?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

sancarlos wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:Walmart Craft Beer not so Craft...rather it is just Genny. But solid name for a brewery "Trouble Brewing"
Speaking of craft beer that isn't really craft beer... the other day the wife and I visited a local pub for a pint. The bartendress told me that the night before they had done a promotion for Trooper beer, an English brew that is made by Robinson's Brewery but according to the website it's "created by" (I shit you not) the aging metal band, Iron Maiden. So, the label and promotion swag are all Iron Maiden-related. I'm not sure how that relationship works and I guess I don't care. The beer was a passable stout but nothing special. (It comes in other styles too). And, for buying a pint, they let me keep the logo glass and gave me some stickers and stuff. So, I got that going for me. Which is... nice?
Probably better than
http://www.mmmhops.com/

Lemmy is Beer

T-shirt beer?

Okay this is by Cigar City
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:I'm on my 11th dry day due to this stupid illness. Longest complete break in a while.
Jesus, I legit shuddered at that thought. I haven't gone that long since I was 15 or 16.

On the bright side, I am enjoying a HopSlam. Great beer, but so many others caught up to it. I know I said it last year, but if I first had this beer 4 years ago, I would have blown a load. Have a bottle of Nugget Nectar in the fridge, just to see how spoiled I've become. 4 or 5 years ago, I was blown away.

For Jersey guys, and neighboring states if they grow, had my first beer from Magnify. Been hearing great things, and bought a 4pack of Vine and Shine IPA. Really good New Englandish IPA. Shockingly flavorful for an IPA (that isn't a DIPA). Also, Carton is now brewing additional batches out of Two Roads. For the first time ever, I saw Carton on the shelf a week after it's release. Almost always kept hidden, or gone immediately. I was at Joe Canals in Woodbridge, and asked if they had any. Guy said they had 10 cases of Unjunct Stout, and much more of Boat Beer and 077xx. Said they drastically increased their shipments, and expect it to grow. They are keeping Carton on the shelf now, and have enough that it lasts a few days. Very excited.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Well deserved Friday work beer: