The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by Rush2112 »

Yo, any of you NJ folk wanna send me some Touch of Grey IPA from NJ Brewing? I can send some CO brews back in trade.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I can't find it listed anywhere (assuming this is NJ Beer Co). Most NJ breweries are hit or miss finding in stores but I'll keep a look out.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Can release was Thursday night.

Looked on untappd - closest place with it is 50 mi from Philly. Those North Jersey breweries seem to not get down south early on. Remember looking for Carton for awhile and not seeing it for quite some time.
oh shit...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Huh. I just texted my beer guy, I'll let you know if I find anything.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Right on. I'll send some WeldWorks east. That is if you've heard the hype and want some...and you do.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I suppose you guys are doing a lot more of this with others, but a swamp beer exchange would be a great idea. I've never shipped beer, but I'd be down for something like that.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The problem is the cost, it’s like paying twice to ship.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

mister d wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:18 pm The problem is the cost, it’s like paying twice to ship.
I use the USPS flat rate boxes...makes it much cheaper.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I'd love to join in, but border issues and duties and stuff...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:03 pm I suppose you guys are doing a lot more of this with others, but a swamp beer exchange would be a great idea. I've never shipped beer, but I'd be down for something like that.
I am totally down with this idea. Next time I get to a can release of something interesting, I'll get extras to send along.

Rush, I haven't had anything from NJ Beer Co. in a couple years, but everything I've tried from them is completely bland and forgettable. I searched online, and I think this may have just been a brewery release. Curious how you heard about this beer or why you are interested, other than the name. NJ Beer Co. is way off my radar, and the brewery is maybe 30 minutes from my house.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Balls deep in stout month.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:33 pm Curious how you heard about this beer or why you are interested, other than the name. NJ Beer Co. is way off my radar, and the brewery is maybe 30 minutes from my house.
Name only really. Saw it in a beer group I'm in on facebook.

I send boxes to a couple friends back east every 3-4 months. I have a buddy that makes way too much money and skis in VT plus lives relatively near Trillium/Treehouse so he sends a couple cans out my way. It's nice to taste some things that I'd never see otherwise.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Whats your take from out there? I have Treehouse far and away the best breweries I've had, any of like 2 or 3 of their IPAs would be #1 on my list if the others didn't exist. Trillium is right at the top of the next tier down with Other Half and a couple others.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:26 am Whats your take from out there? I have Treehouse far and away the best breweries I've had, any of like 2 or 3 of their IPAs would be #1 on my list if the others didn't exist. Trillium is right at the top of the next tier down with Other Half and a couple others.
Not that you asked me, but Trillium is fucking amazing. Most people say Treehouse is even better, but I haven't had anything from them yet. I'm supposed to meet up with a friend to drink his Treehouse next week, though, so I'm hoping that happens. I love Other Half, but the lupulin powder IPAs are starting to wear thin on me. At first, I thought they were the greatest thing ever, so fresh and bold, but now, I'm starting to find them tasting, I don't know, fake? Like chemically, or cheating. Maybe it's just Magnify and Bolero not doing as good of a job, but I'm less enamored with lupulin powder now. I need to make another trip out to Other Half.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I really like Trillium and Treehouse, but I really think that there are others even here in CO that can go toe to toe with them. Maybe it's a fresh vs. couple of weeks thing.

Then again. I'm sort of over the hazy thing. I find it very much a diminishing return on each individual one I drink.

I've had a couple no haze Treehouses (a pale and a porter) that were good, but nothing to go fucking crazy over.

I'm going to be in Boston in July so hopefully can hit up some freshies.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:35 pmI love Other Half, but the lupulin powder IPAs are starting to wear thin on me. At first, I thought they were the greatest thing ever, so fresh and bold, but now, I'm starting to find them tasting, I don't know, fake? Like chemically, or cheating. Maybe it's just Magnify and Bolero not doing as good of a job, but I'm less enamored with lupulin powder now. I need to make another trip out to Other Half.
Its an incredibly fine line between amazing and "this is bad and my mouth tastes chalky". A lot of places seem pretty content to just dump it in and call it a day.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:47 am
The Sybian wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:35 pmI love Other Half, but the lupulin powder IPAs are starting to wear thin on me. At first, I thought they were the greatest thing ever, so fresh and bold, but now, I'm starting to find them tasting, I don't know, fake? Like chemically, or cheating. Maybe it's just Magnify and Bolero not doing as good of a job, but I'm less enamored with lupulin powder now. I need to make another trip out to Other Half.
Its an incredibly fine line between amazing and "this is bad and my mouth tastes chalky". A lot of places seem pretty content to just dump it in and call it a day.
Bolero had a couple good IPAs, but even when they hit, they aren't always consistent can to can. Last year I bought a 4 pack of OVB (IPA with vanilla, lactose and orange zest). First one, I thought it was awesome. Tasted like a creamsicle with hops, but in a good way. My friend hated it and we fought. Can #3 was awful, and as my friend described. Chalky and tasted like those children's chewable vitamins I had as a kid. #4 was good. I don't know how you can have so much inconsistency within a 4 pack. I also find the lupulin beers suck for the first 2 weeks or so, they are chalky and overpowering, then they are in their prime for maybe 2 months, then quickly fall of a cliff. I'd be afraid to ship any of these, because you don't know if it's an off can.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't even bother with Bolero at this point. Like you said, some can be good, but I'm not risking $14 per 4 to see if this is one of them.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:01 pm I don't even bother with Bolero at this point. Like you said, some can be good, but I'm not risking $14 per 4 to see if this is one of them.
I usually just get a single can. They do a good job on their adjunct stouts. Not something you'd want to drink every day, but they are fun and some crazy combos worked well.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

WluLax's Tampa thread reminded me, anything good in or around Orlando? I won't have a rental, but any breweries / taphouses around the Renaissance Orlando or within a reasonable Uber?

Brewed a chocolate stout last weekend. Going to adjunct some up with coconut and age on rum or bourbon. Tasted awesome going in, hopefully just as good after having the yeasties do their thang.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shake Shack isn't far from Renaissance Orlando. I'm not aware of any noteworthy Orlando breweries. I'm sure there's a Brass Tap or World of Beer over there somewhere.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I saw Ellipsis Brewing somewhere (Reddit/FB) and it looks well reviewed, so will hit that up
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

There's at least one, maybe two micros near where Orlando City play. I remember liking what they had. That's up I-4 a little from where you'll be, but probably not too far.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Okay not really craft but Natty Both introduces it's first new beer in 30 years. Crab Shack Shandy
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Paging Rush and PDX
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:40 pm Okay not really craft but Natty Both introduces it's first new beer in 30 years. Crab Shack Shandy

$9 a six for anything that has to do with Natty Boh is a fucking outrage.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:51 am

Paging Rush and PDX

Nice.

(no love for GoodKarma?)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I can't keep track of where everyone lives. Also, it looks like anyone around Asheville (Brevard location) can get it too.

Or, you can all come to Tampa for Hunapu Day (this Saturday).
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Longmont but not Boulder? Whatevs.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:41 am Longmont but not Boulder? Whatevs.

Ummm.. "Longmont, Boulder and Brevard taprooms"
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:16 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:41 am Longmont but not Boulder? Whatevs.

Ummm.. "Longmont, Boulder and Brevard taprooms"
omg
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:04 am

Paging Rush and PDX

Nice.

(no love for GoodKarma?)
I was just there on Saturday...looks like I have to go back.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Paging Rush and PDX
That's a rich beer.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:07 am I can't keep track of where everyone lives. Also, it looks like anyone around Asheville (Brevard location) can get it too.

Or, you can all come to Tampa for Hunapu Day (this Saturday).
Send the kids to the neighbors, because Sybian is coming [to your] home loaded!
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Yuengling is now for sale in KY starting today. I had to go to liquor barn to pick up some gifts for some work visitors today, and they had a MASSIVE display of Yuengling - all varieties. One guy was walking out with two 24-packs..I wanted to say "Dude, they sell it now, you don't have to stock up on it" like everyone always did when they had to go to Ohio to get it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Aside from the beer sucking, read up on Dick Yuengling's politics before buying.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:58 pm Aside from the beer sucking, read up on Dick Yuengling's politics before buying.
Now that I can get it here I have no intention of buying it!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Orlando's craft beer a solid meh+

Half Barrel Project was a great space, had very nice bottles and guest taps. Very very small batches.

Dead Lizard brewing had OK+ beers, did have some interesting randall infused beers, but everything was a little "light" compared to what of I think of as a stout, DIPA, etc, etc.
Great staff and ambience.

Also if you want to see what hot new brewery you should check out the hipsters at BA released this today.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Orlando in general is a solid meh -
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:13 pm Orlando in general is a solid meh -
Yes. I did enjoy a MIA Mix Pale I had from Miami Brewing, but that may have been because I was done with the conference and it was enjoyed poolside.