Swamp Auto Repair

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Swamp Auto Repair

Post by mister d »

C'mon dude.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:13 am
A_B wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:48 am
HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:44 am Bought a new car a couple months ago (Buick Tourx Wagon... like it a lot). Got a crack in the windshield this week. Drove for 4-5 years with a cracked windshield on the Jeep and not doing it again. Replacement suggestions?
IN Kentucky windshields are covered 100% on insurance policies. So you call safelite or whoever and they can handle the rest. But if you drove 5 years previously, that may not be the case for you.

ETA: Wow, only three states so this: KY, SC and FL. I know why Kentucky does it and it's because of coal trucks back in the day before they had have covered trailers.
I've had two windshields repaired, 100% covered by insurance. Just leave the car in the driveway, Safelite came out and filled the crack. First one, you couldn't even tell there was crack. Current car has a small circle that I usually don't notice. Small cracks spread if you don't address them, so I would think most insurance companies want to address them before the get worse and potentially cause an accident.
Insurance companies certainly want to address chips before they turn into cracks, because the repair is so much cheaper than a windshield replacement.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I've got 0 deductible glass but my last windshield cost 1400$ (Thank you Subaru EyeSight safety) so I was happy for that. Wife immediately chipped the replacement and I told her we're driving it until it cracks. Don't want to test how often they'll take on that claim.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:14 amC'mon dude.
So there is a limit to the low hanging fruit you'll "..."? Genuinely didn't realize how ripe my post was.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

In late 2019 my car window got knocked out by would-be thieves. I called insurance and they said it was covered 100% in CA, and they advised a vendor in my town to fix it. It was a breeze.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:06 pm
mister d wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:14 amC'mon dude.
So there is a limit to the low hanging fruit you'll "..."? Genuinely didn't realize how ripe my post was.
Depends on the day and whether I need a little pick-me-up.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:21 am
Gunpowder wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:59 am That is wild. A fender bender just cost (my insurance company) $11,000, so not surprised that this would get that high. These cars are designed to basically total themselves.
Which I guess is a good thing, compared to totalling their occupants.

Though $11K for a fender bender sounds crazy high. What are you driving?

A hard bargain.
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg (224.47 KiB) Viewed 775 times
The fender was certainly bent, and it's also full of specialty sensors. I had to leave it behind; I had the corona and didn't want to expose a Triple A driver.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

So that's a fender, at least one rear side panel, the metal support bar, muffler, and a bunch of wiring/electrical components. I'm not surprised the final cost was so high, as any time you're ordering this stuff individually the prices are just much higher.s
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:36 am I've got 0 deductible glass but my last windshield cost 1400$ (Thank you Subaru EyeSight safety) so I was happy for that. Wife immediately chipped the replacement and I told her we're driving it until it cracks. Don't want to test how often they'll take on that claim.
Once per year.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Little disappointed that GPJ clearly rapped he was in an A4 Audi and that's an A6

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:19 am Little disappointed that GPJ clearly rapped he was in an A4 Audi and that's an A6
You know how rappers are, always understating the level of cars they own.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:19 am Little disappointed that GPJ clearly rapped he was in an A4 Audi and that's an A6
There's a car lag - I was talking about a Honda Civic into like 2017 and the Buick will always have a role.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

update: we've lawyered up and are going from there with our claim against him. long and extremely frustrating and complicated story with our insurance company. good news is lawyer is taking the case contingent and handling property damage as well.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:42 pm update: we've lawyered up and are going from there with our claim against him. long and extremely frustrating and complicated story with our insurance company. good news is lawyer is taking the case contingent and handling property damage as well.
Smart move. What took you so long?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:52 pm Smart move. What took you so long?
Lawyers gotta lawyer.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sabo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:19 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:52 pm Smart move. What took you so long?
Lawyers gotta lawyer.
Insurance companies have taken Deny, Delay, Defend to ridiculous levels, and you truly are David taking on Goliath if you try and face them without an attorney.

I don't always take my own advice though. I've got a burst pipe inside my wall that is now not burst, but also the water damage hasn't been remedied yet.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:22 pm
Sabo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:19 pm
Lawyers gotta lawyer.
Insurance companies have taken Deny, Delay, Defend to ridiculous levels, and you truly are David taking on Goliath if you try and face them without an attorney.

I don't always take my own advice though. I've got a burst pipe inside my wall that is now not burst, but also the water damage hasn't been remedied yet.
It's correct advice, don't get me wrong. I was just going for the cheap, low-hanging joke that was sitting there on a tee.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:42 pm update: we've lawyered up and are going from there with our claim against him. long and extremely frustrating and complicated story with our insurance company. good news is lawyer is taking the case contingent and handling property damage as well.
I dunno ... depending on the nature of the claims and why they are being denied, a 1/3 contingency fee might be a ripoff.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I'm fairly confident they won't/shouldn't be given the situation. of course I could be wrong. but I also would much rather have them haggle with the insurance than myself.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:16 pm I'm fairly confident they won't/shouldn't be given the situation. of course I could be wrong. but I also would much rather have them haggle with the insurance than myself.
I'll agree with this. Even if the lawyer gets paid on a couple hours worth of haggling, you'll still probably get more than if you went after the insurance co on your own, and I can't imagine the headaches you'd face.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:40 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:16 pm I'm fairly confident they won't/shouldn't be given the situation. of course I could be wrong. but I also would much rather have them haggle with the insurance than myself.
I'll agree with this. Even if the lawyer gets paid on a couple hours worth of haggling, you'll still probably get more than if you went after the insurance co on your own, and I can't imagine the headaches you'd face.
It really depends on what the dispute is, how much is at stake, and what you need the lawyer to do. You can handle a lot of that yourself, especially if you happen to know one or two or six lawyers to talk to. Or you can even hire someone on an hourly basis.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:43 pm
It really depends on what the dispute is, how much is at stake, and what you need the lawyer to do. You can handle a lot of that yourself, especially if you happen to know one or two or six lawyers to talk to. Or you can even hire someone on an hourly basis.
I'm so averse to dealing with this headache, I'll pay someone to figure out if Bronto should pay on contingency.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:44 pm
I'm so averse to dealing with this headache, I'll pay someone to figure out if Bronto should pay on contingency.
He should. That'll be $450.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:49 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:44 pm
He should. That'll be $450.
PM your address and I'll mail you a check.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:40 pm I'll agree with this. Even if the lawyer gets paid on a couple hours worth of haggling, you'll still probably get more than if you went after the insurance co on your own, and I can't imagine the headaches you'd face.
the peace of mind I think is worth it, especially based on what I think the outcomes are/could be. as I see it, we're able to do a couple different things with a lawyer vs. me focused strictly on "are we getting screwed over with the value of the vehicle?"

it also helps that it's the firm of a good college buddy of my brother. I talked to my brother's friend on Sunday and he said that they may be interested in representing us and then we finalized everything on Monday. they were also not pushy at all -- there was a lot of discussion and thought about whether this would actually be the right route and not an immediate push to represent. that made me feel better about everything.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:52 pm My low beam (regular) bulb was out on the driver's side, so I got a replacement bulb for it. When I went to replace it yesterday the bad/old bulb worked once it was taken out of the headlamp, yet still doesn't work when I put it back in the bulb casing (?). Gearhead father in law says maybe the filament has been broken, but accidentally turns on when held at a different angle. He generally knows his shit, but TS Sally is keeping me from trying again. Yinz have any thoughts?
I had a very similar thing happen to me just now. I took the car in, reporting both headlights out, and the dealer guy fixed both of them by tightening them in the socket. But by the time I drove back to the office, both lights were out again.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:45 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:40 pm I'll agree with this. Even if the lawyer gets paid on a couple hours worth of haggling, you'll still probably get more than if you went after the insurance co on your own, and I can't imagine the headaches you'd face.
the peace of mind I think is worth it, especially based on what I think the outcomes are/could be. as I see it, we're able to do a couple different things with a lawyer vs. me focused strictly on "are we getting screwed over with the value of the vehicle?"

it also helps that it's the firm of a good college buddy of my brother. I talked to my brother's friend on Sunday and he said that they may be interested in representing us and then we finalized everything on Monday. they were also not pushy at all -- there was a lot of discussion and thought about whether this would actually be the right route and not an immediate push to represent. that made me feel better about everything.
lol this has been a shitshow but we may actually have some closure by the end of the week and can start to go car shopping?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:25 pm

lol this has been a shitshow but we may actually have some closure by the end of the week and can start to go car shopping?
Last time i had to get repairs, it went from not totaled to totaled to not totaled in the span of about 4 days.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

it's been totaled since like 3 days after the crash but the fun phone call was from the body shop guy last week saying "hey I've been out of the office for the past two months and am returning your lawyer's call and don't know when he called me"
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:30 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:25 pm

Last time i had to get repairs, it went from not totaled to totaled to not totaled in the span of about 4 days.
Yeah, my car went from not totalled to totalled and no one told me. It was at a body shop in Colorado (we wrecked it driving my son home from Golden for his winter break), so I just kept using the rental car I had, figuring I'd pick my car back up when I took him back to school.

That left me with about two days to find a new car to replace it. Fun times.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

heeeeeeeey we may have movement

two weeks after the insurance guy said he wanted it done that week, LA got a call today from them to release the car from the dealer crash lot. dealer charged $50 a day to hold the car but insurance negotiated them down to $10 per day. why does that matter?

well the insurance company apparently only pays the storage fee for the days it's there *after* they accept liability. so we're on the hook for ~$700 before they accepted liability. wonderful!

but this afternoon they quoted the car ~$1K above what I was thinking she was going to get quoted. hopefully this means they can figure out the other stuff outside of the car quickly and we can go car shopping soon (and end this saga)
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Always exciting to move from one hellscape to another.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

so we had to lawyer up because we found out the night of the wreck that AAA had wrongfully canceled her insurance in late 2020 claiming that she didn't have a membership.

that was patently false, of course, as the house is in both of our names and you have to have a membership to have homeowner's insurance. and she was currently active on my membership at the time of the wreck. the only thing I can think of is that they screwed up not realizing that her membership was on mine.

anyway, we are in the final stages of getting the money from his insurer and should hopefully have it soon .... and we got a letter from AAA while we were on vacation last week saying that her insurance has been reinstated with no lapse in coverage

kill me now
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:08 am so we had to lawyer up because we found out the night of the wreck that AAA had wrongfully canceled her insurance in late 2020 claiming that she didn't have a membership.

that was patently false, of course, as the house is in both of our names and you have to have a membership to have homeowner's insurance. and she was currently active on my membership at the time of the wreck. the only thing I can think of is that they screwed up not realizing that her membership was on mine.

anyway, we are in the final stages of getting the money from his insurer and should hopefully have it soon .... and we got a letter from AAA while we were on vacation last week saying that her insurance has been reinstated with no lapse in coverage

kill me now
Your homeowner's insurance requires AAA?
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

yeah our auto and home is bundled through AAA and you have to be an AAA member to have AAA insurance
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:59 am yeah our auto and home is bundled through AAA and you have to be an AAA member to have AAA insurance
Ah, never knew AAA had home owner's insurance. My in-laws gave us AAA memberships as a Christmas gift for a couple years, but we had the roadside assistant program from Honda and Hyundai, so it was a waste. I never even looked at the other benefits. As a kid, I remember going to AAA offices before vacations to get travelers checks, maps, and guidebooks on wherever we were going. So funny looking back at how different times were. I'm actually surprised AAA still remains relevant.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I'm about ready to dump them altogether based on this + roadside assistance coming 2 hours after the app said they would when I had a flat tire earlier this year (and didn't know the hack to get the "special" VW wheels off the car).

the conversation this morning with the policy office was both illuminating and confusing. the woman I talked to has to talk to a bunch of people before she can call me back because of how FUBAR the situation is.

the frustrating thing is I called my agent the day after the wreck to say "hey what's the deal" and was told that it was too late from the time of the cancellation notice to get it reinstated without a lapse despite the wrongful cancellation. I gathered from the conversation this morning that if I had called the main policy headquarters in StL and not my agent that we would have been able to get it reinstated without a lapse ... and avoided a lot of the mess we have been in. and also gotten a rental car because LA's policy covers that!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

OH! I had to call a tow truck for my VW flat tire a few weeks back. The owner's manual sucks ass! I've changed plenty of tires, but these stupid German things were (of course) overly complicated and I didn't want to fuck anything up.

The other annoying thing are garages that think it's fucking NASCAR and tighten your lug nuts to a point takes literally jumping on the wrench to get it to loosen.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The spare in a Honda Odyssey minivan is located under main center console that sits between the two front seats. To access it, you have to pull up the floorboard for the middle row seating. As anyone with children and their things can tell you, it's a really inconvenient spot to access.