Swamp Auto Repair

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Swamp Auto Repair

Post by GoodKarma »

I'm having the windshield replaced on my wife's 2011 Subaru Outback (there is a foot long crack) by Safelite as I was sent there by my local dealer. I've never had to go through this on any vehicle before. Does anyone have any experience with replacement windshields? I seem to recall hearing that replacements leak easier, make more wind noise, etc...is this true or am I off base?
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
mister d
The Dude

Re: Swamp Auto Repair

Post by mister d »

I've noticed wind noise on my highlander but no leaks. And the guy who replaced it is named Alex Rodriguez.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

99% of the time, you won't know the difference from original. Safelite replaced mine 2 years ago. Trouble free.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I had a windshield replaced once, no noise or leaks.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Had two replaced and never noticed anything.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

So this fell off my wife's Hyundai this morning. It is a very light piece of plastic that doesn't feel like it could be anything important. I can find sites selling it, but nothing explaining what it is. Google translation from German eBay says it is a Horn Bugle. Maybe bugle? Does the sound from a horn come out of this thing?

-Pruitt
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Speaker cone from the Bosch HD 4G Septaphonic Sound System.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote:Does the sound from a horn come out of this thing?

Yes.

As evidenced by "genuine-oem-car-horn-kia-hyundai" in the image's url.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

The Sybian wrote:So this fell off my wife's Hyundai this morning. It is a very light piece of plastic that doesn't feel like it could be anything important. I can find sites selling it, but nothing explaining what it is. Google translation from German eBay says it is a Horn Bugle. Maybe bugle? Does the sound from a horn come out of this thing?

Yup, thats a horn. Most cars have 2. A high note and a low note. Your horn either will not work, or will sound funny.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

devilfluff wrote:
Yup, thats a horn. Most cars have 2. A high note and a low note. Your horn either will not work, or will sound funny.
Yeah, that is the low one (hence basso written on it). Hown works, but sounds funny. Good enough to drive. The A/C compressor died, so we are buying a new car anyways. Rant in car buying thread to follow.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Heh, my a/c compressor just died on the beater I had to buy. I paid $1200 for this thing and I've already had to replace all 4 tires and replace that fucking part. €590 after VAT form. I just need it to last until January. The amount of money I've spent on vehicles is disgusting in my 2+ years here.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

You can't get to January without A/C?
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Then it may not be the compressor. It's the part connected to your engine that when it seized it kills the engine. It definitely was part of the a/c though. Had a belt on it and such. I have a Euro spec Nissan called a Primera. Kind of like a shitty Sentra. Made in 2000.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Gunpowder wrote:You can't get to January without A/C?
I think our summer is their winter down there, right?
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I feel like if you buy a $1200 car you should be expecting to put some money into it.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Johnnie wrote:Then it may not be the compressor. It's the part connected to your engine that when it seized it kills the engine. It definitely was part of the a/c though. Had a belt on it and such. I have a Euro spec Nissan called a Primera. Kind of like a shitty Sentra. Made in 2000.
It is the AC compressor. Some cars have separate belts for the AC, if it does, you could just cut that belt and run w/ no AC. If it uses a one belt(serpentine) system, you either have to replace it, bypass it with a shorter belt, or remove the compressor and install a free spinning idler pulley.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

devilfluff wrote:
Johnnie wrote:Then it may not be the compressor. It's the part connected to your engine that when it seized it kills the engine. It definitely was part of the a/c though. Had a belt on it and such. I have a Euro spec Nissan called a Primera. Kind of like a shitty Sentra. Made in 2000.
It is the AC compressor. Some cars have separate belts for the AC, if it does, you could just cut that belt and run w/ no AC. If it uses a one belt(serpentine) system, you either have to replace it, bypass it with a shorter belt, or remove the compressor and install a free spinning idler pulley.
It could just be the Fetzer valve.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
devilfluff wrote:
It could just be the Fetzer valve.
That's right next to the Canuter Valve.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My car got a flat driving home from work yesterday. The two front tires were probably beyond the point where I should have replaced them. As far as I can tell, I ran over a stick and it just split the tire. Might have been lucky, as it was just up the street from home.

This morning my car has remotely started itself (or my remote has taken it upon itself to start the car) three times. The first time I figured maybe I just grabbed the keys wrong (even though I have a difficult time getting the remote to work on the rare occasions that I purposely use it) and just pressed the button again to shut the car off. Then walking down the street with my dog about 15 minutes later, I noticed it was running again. Now here at work, someone let me know my car was running out in the parking lot. Each time the remote was lit as if it had done it, so I'm going to keep it next to my keyboard for the rest of the day.

There were some reports in 2013 of similar issues with Subarus, but it really doesn't look like mine (2013 Outback) was involved. I've never had this issue before, and I've had the car for two years, so I'm thinking maybe the battery is dying on the remote and sending out bad info?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Fuck. Happened again. I just took the battery out of the remote.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'd take the battery out of the car too just to be safe.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Holy shit, mine just started doing it too
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

What you will find out is Subaru is not encrypting the wireless transmission and someones NEST thermostat/wifi access point/internet of thing is now locked into your car
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

wlu_lax6 wrote:What you will find out is Subaru is not encrypting the wireless transmission and someones NEST thermostat/wifi access point/internet of thing is now locked into your car
"Honey, will you turn the heat up?"
(Rass's car comes crashing into the bedroom)
"No, warmer"
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Oh yeah!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I think it's clear the cars are becoming self-aware. You heard about this coming in science fiction.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote:Oh yeah!
+1 for old school Kool-aid joke.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I just read Christine last summer. The thought of a car spontaneously starting itself scares the crap out of me.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Steve of phpBB wrote:I just read Christine last summer. The thought of a car spontaneously starting itself scares the crap out of me.
This must've been a rough watch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgIgYhaqKeo
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

So a turn of the key and some fast paced clicks from the front end and then nothing on a perfectly good battery would be....?
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

rass wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:39 pm So a turn of the key and some fast paced clicks from the front end and then nothing on a perfectly good battery would be....?
That's usually the starter...could be as simple as loose connection(s) or it needs to be replaced. Could also be the alternator.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:39 pm So a turn of the key and some fast paced clicks from the front end and then nothing on a perfectly good battery would be....?
Have you tried to jumpstart it? Whenever I've had the fast clicks, it's been from a low battery. Even if it should be good, it could be run down from a bad alternator, or just someone leaving lights on.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

My guess if it just started out of nowhere with no prior warning and it didn't eventually start after the clicks at any point, you need a new battery. But it could be any of the three above (battery, alternator or starter) or your connections just might not be good on the battery. That's easy so disconnect it and clean the terminals before buying anything.

How old is the battery?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sorry, battery is just a couple of months old. Dash and display lights right up and seen fine unlike a couple of months ago when the battery (worn down from age and being started once a week for short trips in Q) did die.

I’ll try dicking around with the battery and see if I can manage to jump it (awkward spot in the driveway right now) before doing anything more drastic.

Thanks guys
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:01 pm Sorry, battery is just a couple of months old. Dash and display lights right up and seen fine unlike a couple of months ago when the battery (worn down from age and being started once a week for short trips in Q) did die.

I’ll try dicking around with the battery and see if I can manage to jump it (awkward spot in the driveway right now) before doing anything more drastic.

Thanks guys
You probably wouldn't be getting the display lights if it was an alternator. I'm guessing starter. (Do cars still use solenoids? That also used to be an issue for this sort of thing back when I had any inclination to look under the hood.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:04 pm
rass wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:01 pm Sorry, battery is just a couple of months old. Dash and display lights right up and seen fine unlike a couple of months ago when the battery (worn down from age and being started once a week for short trips in Q) did die.

Thanks guys
You probably wouldn't be getting the display lights if it was an alternator. I'm guessing starter. (Do cars still use solenoids? That also used to be an issue for this sort of thing back when I had any inclination to look under the hood.)
Battery gauges are pretty cheap. (Chargers aren’t too expensive either.)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I would wager it isn’t the battery. But I have always confused the starter and alternator.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

A_B wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:58 pm I would wager it isn’t the battery. But I have always confused the starter and alternator.
Yeah if it's a new battery and the connections are fine it's probably not the issue.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:04 pm

Thanks guys

Back in the day a new starter was like less than $100. Last time I had this issue though it was some shit called an ignition switch that I had never heard of before and cost like $400, and this was in a 2005 (or something like that) Nissan.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:58 pm I would wager it isn’t the battery. But I have always confused the starter and alternator.
The way I understand it, the alternator charges the battery as you drive; otherwise the battery would run down while you were driving. So if a car isn't turning over, I think the immediate cause is likely to be the battery or the starter. But if it's the battery, that could be a result of a bad alternator, or a bad battery, or the battery being run down from lights or something else being left on.