The Mass Shootings Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: The Mass Shootings Thread

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:40 am
P.D.X. wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:25 pm Pretty sure that's just rural-speak across the whole country.
I've only heard it from Southerners.

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:02 pm
Sabo wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:23 pm
tennbengal wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:37 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:37 am Hell, I've adopted "y'all". It makes so much more sense than "you" if you're addressing a group, especially since in a lot of written communications, "you" seems a bit forward.
Same. Totally brought that with me from my decade in Tennessee.
Surprised you didn't inherit that after living in Cincinnati. There's no shortage of y'alls on the north shore of the Ohio River.
I think he was too tired of packing and unpacking to pick up on any regional dialect, to be honest.
Brilliant.
Haha I was waiting for somebody to pick up on that one.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:06 pm
Damn, that is powerful. And depressing as fuck that so many random high school kids are exponentially more competent political figures than our President.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

We have a police trainer down in St. Mary’s today and she’s telling us that it is no longer active. She said they are saying two dead including the shooter.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Just gonna put this here. Swampers named Aaron have trouble maker kids.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Word is bond.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:01 am Just gonna put this here. Swampers named Aaron have trouble maker kids.
Extra "a" is for "anarchy".

And good for her.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Some WKYT webmaster tomorrow: "Why on earth were we so big in jersey yesterday?"
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:13 am Some WKYT webmaster tomorrow: "Why on earth were we so big in jersey yesterday?"
Bond. Grace Bond.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:01 am Just gonna put this here. Swampers named Aaron have trouble maker kids.
LIKE !
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That is great!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Everyone on the Facebooks is mad that the media is ignoring the "good guy with a gun" story from yesterday. Of course if you just Google the guy's name, you'll find stories from every major media outlet there is. Also, is a cop that shoots someone else with a gun really a hero or just a person doing his job?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good job, GB the Not Intoxicated.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:42 am Everyone on the Facebooks is mad that the media is ignoring the "good guy with a gun" story from yesterday. Of course if you just Google the guy's name, you'll find stories from every major media outlet there is. Also, is a cop that shoots someone else with a gun really a hero or just a person doing his job?
If he was able to save lives for doing his job, then yes, I would consider him a hero.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

duff wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:30 pm
Jerloma wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:42 am Everyone on the Facebooks is mad that the media is ignoring the "good guy with a gun" story from yesterday. Of course if you just Google the guy's name, you'll find stories from every major media outlet there is. Also, is a cop that shoots someone else with a gun really a hero or just a person doing his job?
If he was able to save lives for doing his job, then yes, I would consider him a hero.
Yeah, some jobs lend themselves to the possibility you can also be a hero. Fire fighters, police, EMTs, military(non-logistics division).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:33 pm
duff wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:30 pm
Yeah, some jobs lend themselves to the possibility you can also be a hero. Fire fighters, police, EMTs, military(non-logistics division).
If getting 100 ashtrays from Point A to Point B as expeditiously as possible doesn't make you a hero, I don't know what does.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Good for her!

And good for you guys, for raising a child who is passionate and committed in their beliefs. For better or worse, that's not easy, but necessary.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Great job that guy! Still fucking bullshit that it even has to happen. And I'm sure the parents of the kid that the shooter killed don't give more than a single fuck.

I saw people on twitter yesterday (Joe Walsh being one) excited that this one was a 'win'. Hey, good guy with a gun got a bad guy with a gun! Yeah, go guns! But how many kids would have to die before it becomes not a win? I mean this shooter killed one, but that's not too many, right? What if he killed five before the school cop got him. Still a positive GGwaG story? Where's the line they will use?

I am so fucking tired of these debates, and so happy that so many youngsters have decided they want to change the world. Kids are awesome, and we should listen to them more.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:25 pm Image

Thanks for your service.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think he knows we're kidding. Even someone in the Chair Force wing of the Air Force is still putting their necks out there 1 million times more than most of us.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

brian wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:48 am I think he knows we're kidding. Even someone in the Chair Force wing of the Air Force is still putting their necks out there 1 million times more than most of us.
Oh, he knows we’re kidding. That “thank you” was as orange as your comment about the ashtrays.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

bfj wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:02 am
brian wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:48 am I think he knows we're kidding. Even someone in the Chair Force wing of the Air Force is still putting their necks out there 1 million times more than most of us.
Oh, he knows we’re kidding. That “thank you” was as orange as your comment about the ashtrays.
When I'm retired I'm getting a personalized veteran's plate that reads "YWFMS."

(You're welcome for my service.)
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Dick's aren't dicks?

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Square Rob wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:43 am
Great job that guy! Still fucking bullshit that it even has to happen. And I'm sure the parents of the kid that the shooter killed don't give more than a single fuck.

I saw people on twitter yesterday (Joe Walsh being one) excited that this one was a 'win'. Hey, good guy with a gun got a bad guy with a gun! Yeah, go guns! But how many kids would have to die before it becomes not a win? I mean this shooter killed one, but that's not too many, right? What if he killed five before the school cop got him. Still a positive GGwaG story? Where's the line they will use?

I am so fucking tired of these debates, and so happy that so many youngsters have decided they want to change the world. Kids are awesome, and we should listen to them more.
Hell, I saw the same kind of thing after the church shooting in Texas...'The good guys with a gun stopped it!'. My reaction was '26 people killed isn't stopping it'.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:21 am
Square Rob wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:43 am

Hell, I saw the same kind of thing after the church shooting in Texas...'The good guys with a gun stopped it!'. My reaction was '26 people killed isn't stopping it'.
Plus, okay, the school resource officer bravely stopped it. But because the kid was able to get a gun ...

One child is dead.
Two children were shot. That is a massively big deal. Something that will stay with them their entire lives.
Other children have gone through the fear of being there while the kid was shooting.
The school resource officer has to live with the fact that he shot one of the students he was hired to protect.

And, of course, the reason the resource officer was able to stop the shooting was because the kid "only" had a handgun and not an AR-15.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

And now two kids are dead.

You don’t solve this by shooting a shooter first. You solve this by disarming shooters. You can also make a dent in the rate of completed suicides in this country.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Next time someone says "good guy with a gun stopped it!" immediately after an incident like this I'm going to politely remind them now is not the time for politics.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hook those assholes up to a lie detector and ask them if they'd prefer (1) two dead kids and a heroic counter-shooter killing the gunman or (2) one dead kid and a gunman suicide and then beat them with a hammer after they answer.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The George Soros organized March for our Lives is today in DC.

Bob Kraft sent the Patriots airplane to pick up the young adults from Parkland.

Edit:

And of fucking course,The NRA is attacking the teen organizers of March for Our Lives.

This scumbag organization...delenda est.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Moreta wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:59 am And now two kids are dead.

You don’t solve this by shooting a shooter first. You solve this by disarming shooters. You can also make a dent in the rate of completed suicides in this country.
I think there are flatout too many guns already made and out in the country for this to be realistic. If you stopped firearm production and sales today there are enough guns floating around to arm everyone heavily for the next five generations. It just strikes me as an idealistic fantasy. Im not proposing a solution. I dont think there is a solution. People are shitty and are going to continue to murder people and there isnt a lot we can do about it
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

TT2.0 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:33 am

I think there are flatout too many guns already made and out in the country for this to be realistic. If you stopped firearm production and sales today there are enough guns floating around to arm everyone heavily for the next five generations. It just strikes me as an idealistic fantasy. Im not proposing a solution. I dont think there is a solution. People are shitty and are going to continue to murder people and there isnt a lot we can do about it
Well, he’s an alcoholic anyway, so why stop drinking?
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

And yet, people keep buying new ones. So stopping new sales would have to have some effect.

Plus, a buyback program would reduce the number of guns out there.

Fewer guns means fewer gun deaths, regardless of whether these two steps solve the problem completely.

And if you could get a decent gun ban done, you could also restrict ammunition sales in various ways, which would improve safety even further.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

This is the Parkland Student's manifesto

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/com ... s-gun-laws

It all sounds reasonable to me but I don't live in gun culture USA.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

People are buying a LOT of guns. We get guns turned into us all the time for destruction, usually unwanted guns inherited by people who don’t have any interest in taking on the responsibility of selling them. At the same time, we get a couple dozen gun registrations every week (and we are not a large town). These are only handguns since there’s no long gun registration required in Michigan.

If we drastically tightened up purchase permitting, limited the availability of high powered rifles and high capacity magazines, extended registration to all guns (not just handguns), and made background checks universal (including for private sales), we would make significant inroads.

I’ll settle for any and all steps along that path. It is time for this culture to shift.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think you are an idiot. This isn’t a wash your hands of it situation. Do something or don’t. There are two sides. Pick one.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

100% fuck yeah AB. You cannot make guns disappear. You can make their ownership illegal, you can make carrying off your properly a felony, you can do a lot of things to jam that toothpaste back in. The whole “too many guns to try” works right up until you sub in “Muslims” or any other terrifying word.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.