Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: The Mass Shootings Thread

Post by EnochRoot »

testuser2 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:28 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:17 pm
testuser2 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:12 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:49 am I’d take down any posters, paraphernalia that references Penn State, too..
I understand the joke, but PSU is a top school(#9) for school administrators. MSU is #4. So you may want to emphasize the PSU fandom.

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... n-rankings
I was referring to Jerry Sandusky having purchased a house right next to an elementary school.
I understand the background very well. It's just not a good joke even though it's an easy one to make.
Hey get touchy with somebody else, testy.
Noli Timere Messorem
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:36 pm
testuser2 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:28 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:17 pm
testuser2 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:12 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:49 am I’d take down any posters, paraphernalia that references Penn State, too..
I understand the joke, but PSU is a top school(#9) for school administrators. MSU is #4. So you may want to emphasize the PSU fandom.

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... n-rankings
I was referring to Jerry Sandusky having purchased a house right next to an elementary school.
I understand the background very well. It's just not a good joke even though it's an easy one to make.
Hey get touchy with somebody else, testy.
Sorry. When you live in it you get a little testy.

Back to the topic... More information is starting to come out about the victims. http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c ... 20844.html F'ing heartbreaking.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I didn't need any more information on the victims to find it heartbreaking.

(not that you did, I guess that isn't what you're saying)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

and MSU?
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

Florida doesn't require a permit for purchase, registration of guns or a license to own.
Plus you vcan carry a rifle without a permit

but mental health guys ( Trump's message)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I barely even wanted to click on this thread. We're not going to do anything about it, so I'm not going to continue feeding all the bullshit emotion around it.

I just want my daughter to graduate h.s. I know it has happened on college campuses, but it sure seems like a bunch of not fully formed humans with massive amounts of hormones running around with depression, anxiety and whatever other mental health issues is a nightmare mix I want her away from ASAP.

Tired of this fucking shit.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

My state legislature is pushing a bill to allow concealed carry in schools. Because that will help.

I’ve joined 3 different gun control advocacy groups. I’ve gone to rallies. I’m pressuring my union (a police union) to start pushing statewide gun control legislation. I still feel so helpless.

Maybe we should all join the fucking NRA and vote in a new board who supports common sense restrictions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The only way this stops is if assassinations become borderline the norm here. Everything else is too easy to not hit close to home for them.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

mister d wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:10 pm The only way this stops is if assassinations become borderline the norm here. Everything else is too easy to not hit close to home for them.
some wacko shot at the Republican Conressmen last summer. Did anything change?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Avram wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:49 pm
mister d wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:10 pm The only way this stops is if assassinations become borderline the norm here. Everything else is too easy to not hit close to home for them.
some wacko shot at the Republican Conressmen last summer. Did anything change?
Yes, they got more security provided at taxpayer expense.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"The norm", not "this one time event that was treated as a much bigger deal than 17 dead HS kids".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Unless the NRA starts advocating for abortion or gay rights, their base will continue to love them, and gun control will remain stymied. Sad to say.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

I think it is easier to get an AR-15 in Florida than it is to register to vote

School shootings-American exceptionalism? no one else does it like us
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

It is astounding that a country with so many intelligent people is in many ways held hostage by completely venal assholes and their mouth breathing lackeys.

Ultimately, are slaughtered teenagers the price to pay for a country not forcing unwilling women to bring fetuses to term?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Avram wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:10 pm but mental health guys ( Trump's message)
And then propose nothing for mental health...except making it easier for mentally ill people to buy guns.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:39 pm Ultimately, are slaughtered teenagers the price to pay for a country not forcing unwilling women to bring fetuses to term?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:16 am
Our back yard property line is shared with the high school. I feel like I should walk over and inform someone in their administration that, since my wife and I work from home, there is almost always someone home and we will leave the back door unlocked all the time in case "an emergency school evacuation is needed". At the same time, it feels like a very grisly thing to offer. Is it just the right thing to do about an uncomfortable topic, which is why it makes me feel like going over and offering up our home is bad?

Opinions, please?
"knowing" you, I think it's a great thing to offer, but a random guy making that offer, my first thought is to call the police and make sure you aren't on a sex offender list.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:47 am
Our back yard property line is shared with the high school. I feel like I should walk over and inform someone in their administration that, since my wife and I work from home, there is almost always someone home and we will leave the back door unlocked all the time in case "an emergency school evacuation is needed". At the same time, it feels like a very grisly thing to offer. Is it just the right thing to do about an uncomfortable topic, which is why it makes me feel like going over and offering up our home is bad?

Opinions, please?
"knowing" you, I think it's a great thing to offer, but a random guy making that offer, my first thought is to call the police and make sure you aren't on a sex offender list.
Due to some of my work projects, I pass a background check done by a little bit higher authority than our town police at least once a year, including within the last couple months. I think my record is four in a calendar year.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

Telling an entire high school your door is always unlocked is not something the school administration would consider. It is likely that, in an emergency situation, they would not be able to effectively relay the availability of your home as a safe place. It is a good and kind thought though.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

During the election cycle, I often tried to imagine Trump acting as the "Comforter in Chief" the next time there was some kind of tragic event/mass shooting. I remember reading about Obama meeting with the families after Sandy Hook, and how he took time to study up about the kids so he could talk about it in a personal manner with each family, and how it stayed with him for the rest of his time in office. I think he even had a drawing by one of the slain children in his office.

Anyways, after seeing the clip of Trump in Parkland yesterday, its even worse than I could have imagined. Bragging about how quickly victims were brought to the hospital? Big smiles and thumbs up? Telling the officer who arrested Cruz that he should be bragging about how he was the one who caught him? Are you fucking kidding me? Trump is a complete sociopath.

And the only reason he even made that visit was because it was close to Mar-a-Lago. If the shooting had happened in...let's say Des Moines, Iowa...there's no way he shows up there.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:11 pm And the only reason he even made that visit was because it was close to Mar-a-Lago. If the shooting had happened in...let's say Des Moines, Iowa...there's no way he shows up there.
Or, even more so, in some heavily black/hispanic area.

Some presidents are comforters-in-chief. This one sees his role as being congratulator-in-chief for the police and first responders.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:11 pm I think he even had a drawing by one of the slain children in his office.
I remembered it correctly...

Obama Hangs Newtown School Shooting Victim's Painting in White House
Before the president left Newtown, Grace’s father, Chris, gave him one of Grace’s paintings.

“I hung it in my private study, just out of the Oval Office. And every time I look at that painting, I think about Grace, and I think about the life that she lived, and the life that lay ahead of her, and most of all, I think about how, when it comes to protecting the most vulnerable among us, we must act now – for Grace, for the 25 other innocent children and devoted educators who had so much left to give,” Obama said.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:20 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:11 pm And the only reason he even made that visit was because it was close to Mar-a-Lago. If the shooting had happened in...let's say Des Moines, Iowa...there's no way he shows up there.

Some presidents are comforters-in-chief. This one sees his role as being congratulator-in-chief for the police and first responders.
He fucking blamed the people of Parkland for not doing enough in the time leading up to the massacre.

Let that sink in, because it's not surprising at all that he'd crack jokes instead of lead in light of that.
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:26 pm

He fucking blamed the people of Parkland for not doing enough in the time leading up to the massacre.

Let that sink in, because it's not surprising at all that he'd crack jokes instead of lead in light of that.
And then it turns out that the FBI had two tips about the guy, and the local police had been called to his home about 20 times, and he had been put in a special diversion program for potentially violent students.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:56 pm

And then it turns out that the FBI had two tips about the guy, and the local police had been called to his home about 20 times, and he had been put in a special diversion program for potentially violent students.
Which is NOT an indictment of the FBI. We don't have precogs, and shouldn't. Fuck Trump so hard.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

When the epitaph of the Trump era is written unnecessarily and unwisely pissing off the FBI is going to be a very prominent cause of death.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Avram wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:07 pm What utter BS. Feb 14th; 19 school shootings this year so far
Not bad for 31 school days.

Non-sarcastically...
Apparently that stat is a bit misleading. I am probably gun control but hate to see media play loose because of the damage it does to a fair debate.

USA TODAY: There have not been 18 school shootings in 2018

https://usat.ly/2obZzof
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Gonna retire my rage until we really have 18.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

And he called for an end to the Russia investigation, blaming the shooting on the FBI being distracted from preventing this shooting because they were preoccupied with Russia. Because the same agents who interviewed this shooter were working on the Russia probe. He has no fucking clue about anything. And while we are piling on, not only did he only visit because he was at Mar-a-Lago, but he immediately went to his Studio 54 Disco Party at Mar-a-Lago. Pretty sure he publicly made fun of Obama and called him weak for crying when he met with the parents of the Newtown victims. I know the Fox asshats did.

For all of the people arguing that gun restrictions won't prevent criminals from having guns, I think this incident is the perfect counter. The police supposedly made more than 30 visits to his house based on neighbors calling the police, and the FBI interviewed him for publicly stating he wanted to become a professional school shooter. I read that prior to expelling the shooter, the school prohibited him from bringing a backpack to school because they were concerned about him bringing weapons. Cheddah is correct, we don't want precog arrests, but I think we need some sort of restriction on people with mental issues publicly threatening to shoot up schools from owning an AR15. I don't know how we legislate this, we can't force people into getting mental health treatment, well we can and do, but it's a very high bar, and I don't think we want to lower it too much. I sure as fuck know that drastically cutting funding for mental health and removing prohibitions on mentally ill people and terrorists from buying guns doesn't help.

A friend posted a video on Facebook that has been gnawing at me. I resisted the urge to respond, as he is a parent of my son's friends, and I genuinely like the guy and try to avoid politics on Facebook, especially with parents in town. He posted a video from Sean Whalen, youtube celebrity tough guy, screaming about how the PC culture and pussification of our children caused this. He was all emotional screaming that so many kids being interviewed all said they weren't surprised, they knew the shooter was a danger. Whalen kept saying nobody spoke up, because the PC Police don't let you say someone is different, because hurting the shooter's feelings is more important than protecting the school from him. FFS, the school knew he was dangerous, they expelled him. The FBI investigated him, the police were called 30+ times. FFS, you can't blame this on PC culture.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:21 pm

And he called for an end to the Russia investigation, blaming the shooting on the FBI being distracted from preventing this shooting because they were preoccupied with Russia. Because the same agents who interviewed this shooter were working on the Russia probe. He has no fucking clue about anything. And while we are piling on, not only did he only visit because he was at Mar-a-Lago, but he immediately went to his Studio 54 Disco Party at Mar-a-Lago. Pretty sure he publicly made fun of Obama and called him weak for crying when he met with the parents of the Newtown victims. I know the Fox asshats did.

For all of the people arguing that gun restrictions won't prevent criminals from having guns, I think this incident is the perfect counter. The police supposedly made more than 30 visits to his house based on neighbors calling the police, and the FBI interviewed him for publicly stating he wanted to become a professional school shooter. I read that prior to expelling the shooter, the school prohibited him from bringing a backpack to school because they were concerned about him bringing weapons. Cheddah is correct, we don't want precog arrests, but I think we need some sort of restriction on people with mental issues publicly threatening to shoot up schools from owning an AR15. I don't know how we legislate this, we can't force people into getting mental health treatment, well we can and do, but it's a very high bar, and I don't think we want to lower it too much. I sure as fuck know that drastically cutting funding for mental health and removing prohibitions on mentally ill people and terrorists from buying guns doesn't help.

A friend posted a video on Facebook that has been gnawing at me. I resisted the urge to respond, as he is a parent of my son's friends, and I genuinely like the guy and try to avoid politics on Facebook, especially with parents in town. He posted a video from Sean Whalen, youtube celebrity tough guy, screaming about how the PC culture and pussification of our children caused this. He was all emotional screaming that so many kids being interviewed all said they weren't surprised, they knew the shooter was a danger. Whalen kept saying nobody spoke up, because the PC Police don't let you say someone is different, because hurting the shooter's feelings is more important than protecting the school from him. FFS, the school knew he was dangerous, they expelled him. The FBI investigated him, the police were called 30+ times. FFS, you can't blame this on PC culture.
Respond to him with truth. He’s confused and angered. Consider it your duty to apply truth as an antiseptic to his wound.
Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Or you could bang your head against the wall and have the same result.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

bfj wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:32 pm Or you could bang your head against the wall and have the same result.
But a well-reasoned response full of facts rather than misguided conjecture can perhaps influence those who may read his posts with a confirmation bias towards appreciating his posts as wisdom.
Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:58 pm
bfj wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:32 pm Or you could bang your head against the wall and have the same result.
But a well-reasoned response full of facts rather than misguided conjecture can perhaps influence those who may read his posts with a confirmation bias towards appreciating his posts as wisdom.
If you say so. He would probably have better luck with the head v wall scenario.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Just for clarity, considering the fact he’s viewing a friend’s posts, that person may have others who look to him for opinions, etc.
Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:19 pm Just for clarity, considering the fact he’s viewing a friend’s posts, that person may have others who look to him for opinions, etc.
I appreciate the clarity.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:37 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:58 pm
If you say so. He would probably have better luck with the head v wall scenario.
I'll try both, and let you know which works better. The friend in question is the one Trump voter I had a reasonable discussion with about why he voted for Trump. He was taking shit for the vote, and was the only person at the table who didn't vote Hillary, but he was reasonable about it. He hates Trump, held his nose voting for her, but felt Hillary was corrupt and had too much baggage and was a paid shill for Wall Street. He fully saw Trump for what he is, and thought there was a slight chance of Trump being guided by sensible people, whereas he was 100% confident Hillary was an irredeemable POS.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I do active shooter drills.

School children in America should not be doing active shooter drills.

This is making me tear up and I'm the one who's deployed.